Orthodox Jew vs fundamental Muslims

Seriously what is the difference?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Orthodox Jew vs fundamental Muslims

#141  Postby fraser » Aug 02, 2012 5:26 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Nora_Leonard wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:I am not bullying anyone.

I am treating a theist in the same way as I treat any theist.

What is different about a jewish extremist?

Are they nicer than muslim ones?

Have you been reading this thread? :scratch:

Sneaker, whom you have been bullying whether you can see it or not, is not a Jewish extremist, and in fact explicitly spoke out against them.

Sounds pretty extremist to me or do all jews walk around in a pinnie and curls?

Nora "Sarcasm is the weapon of the weak", it was obvious Scot had been reading the posted English words.

It seems from my vantage point that you must have insight into Scot's mind to make a statement like that. Which brings back memories of "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"

Scot was addressing the posts and has become yet another casualty.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
fraser

Name: Obviously me!
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#142  Postby babel » Aug 02, 2012 5:28 pm

A victim? In what way?
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#143  Postby Zwaarddijk » Aug 02, 2012 5:37 pm

fraser wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Nora_Leonard wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:I am not bullying anyone.

I am treating a theist in the same way as I treat any theist.

What is different about a jewish extremist?

Are they nicer than muslim ones?

Have you been reading this thread? :scratch:

Sneaker, whom you have been bullying whether you can see it or not, is not a Jewish extremist, and in fact explicitly spoke out against them.

Sounds pretty extremist to me or do all jews walk around in a pinnie and curls?

Nora "Sarcasm is the weapon of the weak", it was obvious Scot had been reading the posted English words.

It seems from my vantage point that you must have insight into Scot's mind to make a statement like that. Which brings back memories of "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"

Where the fuck did Scot address anything - he just kept up his usual bullying against anyone who disagrees with him more than just a bit. If he can't keep within the framework given by the FUA, the moderators are at their full right to do what they did there.
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#144  Postby Aern Rakesh » Aug 02, 2012 6:16 pm

fraser wrote:

I'm sure Scot will appreciate your support. I'm not sure, however, what you're accusing me of? Do you think I'm responsible for Scot being banned? Even though I found his posts and his treatment of Sneaker offensive—and I didn't baulk from telling him that on this thread—I didn't report him.

And I guess I want to echo babel's question, what do you think he's a victim of?
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#145  Postby Beatsong » Aug 02, 2012 10:38 pm

Nora_Leonard wrote:
NineBerry wrote:So, we all agree, that fundamentalist muslims and fundamentalist jews are basically the same? Good

Do we?

No.

But denying differences and trying to show that people of a particular group or groups are "all the same", seems to be one of the most common tools for justifying prejudice against such groups.

It's a good thing only backward people like jews and muslims entertain that kind of prejudice, and we enlightened atheists are beyond all that. Phew. :cheers:
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#146  Postby Oldskeptic » Aug 03, 2012 3:54 am

Beatsong wrote:
Nora_Leonard wrote:
NineBerry wrote:So, we all agree, that fundamentalist muslims and fundamentalist jews are basically the same? Good

Do we?

No.

But denying differences and trying to show that people of a particular group or groups are "all the same", seems to be one of the most common tools for justifying prejudice against such groups.

It's a good thing only backward people like jews and muslims entertain that kind of prejudice, and we enlightened atheists are beyond all that. Phew. :cheers:

I think that I was fairly specific about what the two groups have in common.

In behavior what is the difference? In belief what is the difference? The men may dress differently but they insist that their women dress pretty much the same. They treat their women as things owned and not people. They each claim to know "God's" mind, and share many holy places.

They share the same Old Testament prophets, and share the same Old Testament stories/myths.

While orthodox Jews mumble and nod their heads at a stone wall, above them fundamental Muslims nod their heads and mumble at the floor in the direction of Mecca.

No prejudice involved. Prejudice implies a pre-judgement not based on reason or experience.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#147  Postby epepke » Aug 03, 2012 4:31 am

Muslims talk to God with their butts up in the air.

Jews talk to God with their fists shaking in the air.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

#148  Postby Agrippina » Aug 03, 2012 5:09 am

epepke wrote:Muslims talk to God with their butts up in the air.

Jews talk to God with their fists shaking in the air.

And bobbing their heads up and down against an old wall.

I don't remember the two religions being as militant in the past. My dad was pretty into the whole Jewish thing when we were growing up. He attended Temple every Saturday, wore a hat always and a prayer shawl and we used to have Friday night prayers etc. but he was clean-shaven, never had a beard and neither did any of the men we knew. It was only when I moved into the more orthodox society in the city as a adult that I came across unshaven boys at high school, the Yeshiva college, that I became aware of it. Even the boys at King David School are clean shaven and most don't wear yarmulkas. The Jews I know now probably aren't very religious. I've never seen side curls and heavy black furry hats in South Africa.

As far as the Muslims go, we had friends who were business acquaintances of my dad's. Also there was no animosity between them about the religion. They invited us to weddings, which the government wouldn't allow (we had to ask for permission to attend and they always said no). Their daughters were my friends, and until adulthood and marriage, they dressed pretty much the way I did and they finished high school. Although the women worked in their stores, they only ever served women customers and stayed in the background when the men chatted about politics but I was never told to shut up about politics in those conversations. I also don't remember seeing women in full black head to toe outfits, except for the old widows, until fairly recently, here.

As I said, I'm sure it's a modern phenomenon, here anyway. On the other hand it could be because the government didn't encourage any religion other than Christianity so it could just be that they kept a low profile to avoid being victimised by the thought police of Apartheid.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#149  Postby Aern Rakesh » Aug 03, 2012 6:13 am

Agrippina wrote:As far as the Muslims go, we had friends who were business acquaintances of my dad's. Also there was no animosity between them about the religion. They invited us to weddings, which the government wouldn't allow (we had to ask for permission to attend and they always said no).

Fascinating post, Aggie. I was really astounded by the above: does this mean that apartheid extended to religious groups?

It seems that these ultra-orthodox Jews date back to the 18th century, which is really quite recent in terms of the long history of Judaism. And they are a European phenomenon, rather than an Israeli one (by that, I mean that the movement started in Europe). The Jews that are probably most similar in culture to Arab Muslims are the Sephardi Jews.

This short article is very informative about the UO or Haredi Jews:

About.com website wrote:Haredi Judaism is the most theologically conservative form of Judaism. Haredi Judaism is often translated as ultra-orthodox Judaism, although Haredi Jews themselves object to this translation. They simply refer to themselves as Jews, and they consider more liberal forms of Judaism to be unauthentic.

According to Haredi Jews, authentic Jews believe God wrote the Torah, strictly observe Jewish Law (halacha), and refuse to modify Judaism to meet contemporary needs. The word Haredi derives from the Hebrew word for fear (harada) and can be interpreted as "one who trembles in awe of God" (Isaiah 66:2,5).

In 18th century Europe, as many Jews were promoting a reformation of Judaism that would enable them to take advantage of new opportunities opening up to them outside of the ghetto, more conservative Jews were arguing that Judaism could not be modified in any way. These Eastern European Jews, who fought against the birth of more liberal forms of Judaism, were the founders of today's Haredi movement.

Haredim live in insular communities with limited contact to the outside world. Their lives revolve around Torah study, prayer and family. Television, films, secular publications and the Internet are not a part of their world. They tend to have their own economies, educational systems, medical services, and welfare institutions and gemachs (free loan societies for everything from money to household items). In Israel Haredi Jews are exempt from army service.

The distinctive dress of Haredi Jews helps them to define, and then insulate, their communities, as well as maintain a traditional and spiritual focus. They dress as their ancestors dressed in 18th and 19th century Europe. The men tend to wear dark suits with white shirts, and to cover their heads with black, wide-brimmed hats. The men also generally have beards and sidelocks (peyot). Women, in line with strict standards of modesty, tend to wear long skirts and shirts with long sleeves and high necklines. After the women get married, they cover their heads with either scarves, hats or wigs.

Today the largest Haredi communities are growing in Israel and the United States, and smaller Haredi communities are located in England, Canada, France, Belgium, and Australia.

http://judaism.about.com/od/denominatio ... haredi.htm

Of course the bit about Haredi Jews not having to serve in the military in Israel has recently changed.
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#150  Postby Agrippina » Aug 03, 2012 7:36 am

Nora_Leonard wrote:
Agrippina wrote:As far as the Muslims go, we had friends who were business acquaintances of my dad's. Also there was no animosity between them about the religion. They invited us to weddings, which the government wouldn't allow (we had to ask for permission to attend and they always said no).

Fascinating post, Aggie. I was really astounded by the above: does this mean that apartheid extended to religious groups?

The government was a theocracy. The Dutch Reformed Church was the state religion, all others had to keep a low profile. Although they were tolerated, kids were encouraged to adopt their version of Christianity at school and in the 1980s they began a programme of "veld" schools that were not strictly compulsory but they made it hard for kids who didn't attend. At the schools they had a week of bigotry and patriotism pumped into them, along with intensive praying and religious orientation. This happened twice in grade 7 (age 12) and grade 10 (age 16). Then when they left school, boys (white only) if they didn't go on to tertiary education were taken into the army for two years' compulsory conscription. After that they had to do a camp for three weeks every year for 10 years. By this time, i.e. by the time they were 40, they were well-brain washed bigoted right-wingers and if they were Afrikaans-speaking, which was about 90% of them by the time they'd done the army training, they were also very good Christians who sought to keep the country white and Christian. The English-speaking young men would go to Presbyterian or Methodist churches, the Anglicans and Catholics and atheists were more inclined to send their kids to college or university, or overseas to avoid the army thing. If they were still here after their education was completed, they still had to go into the army, but as officers, so the indoctrination wasn't as powerful. Luckily the conscription thing ended the year my second son left school, so none of mine went to the army. I only allowed one of mine to attend veld school, in grade 7. He told us all about the flag waving and religion, and funnily enough is the only one who has religion in his family.

It seems that these ultra-orthodox Jews date back to the 18th century, which is really quite recent in terms of the long history of Judaism. And they are a European phenomenon, rather than an Israeli one (by that, I mean that the movement started in Europe). The Jews that are probably most similar in culture to Arab Muslims are the Sephardi Jews.

Yes, there are more or less, three groups in general society with variations in each of them:

1) the Ultra-Orthodox or Hassidic Jews who stick strictly to the "law." These are the side lock and black fur hat types. We have some of them here but not with the sidelocks and furry hats, they do wear the black outfits and their wives to keep their heads covered and they don't intermarry with gentiles. In Israel, they speak Yiddish in their general speech and resisted having Hebrew as the national language, believing it was a holy language not for everyday use. They're the types who are now being made to go into the army there. These are what that article calls "Haredi." We've always referred to them as Hassidic. They would be the equivalent of fundamentalist Christians except they don't participate in the army - until now.

2) The Zionists. They are more liberal in their outlook and about the religion, their only extremism being about Jerusalem for the Jews. They speak the language of their native country and will do pilgrimages to Israel, perhaps settle there but aren't as super-religious as the Hassidim. My dad was one of these. They attend Temple, observe the holidays but aren't fundamentalist about the law, except most of the dietary ones. Which is why I never tasted pork until I went to live in the nurses home at the hospital during my training, or sea food or even cauliflower and cheese. In fact we hardly had cheese in our home, except the cream cheese variety from the kosher store. I ate shellfish for the first time in my 20s. I never like pork very much except for bacon, even though I cooked it for my family.

3) The reformed types who are only culturally Jewish and who attend schul mostly only for the high holidays and then maybe only to appease their more conservative parents. They don't learn Hebrew or Yiddish, and are sometimes even atheists, except for their compassion for the Holocaust victims. To a degree this is where I see myself. I don't identify with any religion at all but from the point of view of the Holocaust and especially because my ancestry is German, I see that if I'd been in Germany in the 1930s, with my kids, and their father being Jewish as well, even though we never practiced the religion, we would have been victims. Otherwise from the point of view of my ancestry, I see myself as Jewish.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#151  Postby Aern Rakesh » Aug 03, 2012 7:59 am

@Aggie, are there no 'ordinary' orthodox Jews in SA?

And by the way, Orthodox (and I mean ordinary Orthodox) bristle at the name 'reformed', as if there was something wrong with their Judaism. The movement you're talking about is properly known as Reform or Liberal, which are the names given to two branches of Progressive Judaism in the UK. (I only know this because I've irritated my Orthodox SACRE colleague several times by saying 'reformed' instead of 'reform'.) And in the UK and the US, from my experience, Reform/Liberal Jews are still religious, but obviously not as much. My best friend in childhood was Reform, and they would go to the synagogue, and she learned Hebrew. I went to the synagogue with her once and it seemed very much like our Presbyterian services, men sat with women, they sang hymns.

I think there's a huge variety. Like I said before, my Orthodox friend keeps kosher, but she doesn't cover her head or wear a wig. And her daughter goes to the Liberal synagogue. And they do keep the High Holidays.
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#152  Postby Agrippina » Aug 03, 2012 8:08 am

Nora_Leonard wrote:@[color=#CC0000][b]Aggie,[/b][/color] are there no 'ordinary' orthodox Jews in SA?

And by the way, Orthodox (and I mean ordinary Orthodox) bristle at the name 'reformed', as if there was something wrong with their Judaism. The movement you're talking about is properly known as Reform or Liberal, which are the names given to two branches of Progressive Judaism in the UK. (I only know this because I've irritated my Orthodox SACRE colleague several times by saying 'reformed' instead of 'reform'.) And in the UK and the US, from my experience, Reform/Liberal Jews are still religious, but obviously not as much. My best friend in childhood was Reform, and they would go to the synagogue, and she learned Hebrew. I went to the synagogue with her once and it seemed very much like our Presbyterian services, men sat with women, they sang hymns.

I think there's a huge variety. Like I said before, my Orthodox friend keeps kosher, but she doesn't cover her head or wear a wig. And her daughter goes to the Liberal synagogue. And they do keep the High Holidays.

Yep I'm using the term loosely, a South Africanism. Jews here call people who only use the synagogue for weddings and funerals "super-reformed." Probably due to the Dutch Reformed Church's name.

Yes, it varies. Most Orthodox Jews won't marry outside the faith or even marry a convert. They believe that you have to be born a Jew, however, if your mother was Jewish you still have a chance. People like me are not thought of as Jewish by any other Jews, even if we live according to the rules. I don't care. I'm not interested in their acceptance, it's merely the thought that Hitler would've classed me and my family as "Christ killers" that makes me identify myself that way.

As far as Islam goes, here, our modern religious tolerance and our constitutional insistence on basic education and freedom of speech and association, prevents the sort of crazy fundamentalism that you see elsewhere.

Previously it was the threat of shutting them down and sending them out of the country, or to a nasty prison on Robben Island that stopped any overt displays of fundamentalism. Now, it's the secularism of the government that prevents it.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#153  Postby Aern Rakesh » Aug 03, 2012 8:16 am

Agrippina wrote:Yep I'm using the term loosely, a South Africanism. Jews here call people who only use the synagogue for weddings and funerals "super-reformed." Probably due to the Dutch Reformed Church's name.

Then you have an even better excuse for making the mistake :-)

But to be honest, when my friend has mentioned that, I've really had to bite my tongue from saying what is the difference between 'reform' and 'reformed', surely people will draw the same conclusions.
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#154  Postby angelo » Aug 03, 2012 8:25 am

I just read through this thread rather quickly, but I can see Nora as the calming voice among the antagonists here. I think Scot as usual for him went slightly overboard. Whether he deserved to be banned is not up to me, and I have no opinion on the matter.
angelo

Name: angelo barbato
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#155  Postby NineBerry » Aug 03, 2012 9:19 am

Agrippina wrote:I don't identify with any religion at all but from the point of view of the Holocaust and especially because my ancestry is German, I see that if I'd been in Germany in the 1930s, with my kids, and their father being Jewish as well, even though we never practiced the religion, we would have been victims. Otherwise from the point of view of my ancestry, I see myself as Jewish.

The nazis didn't persecute Jews for their religion but for their perceived race.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#156  Postby Agrippina » Aug 03, 2012 9:23 am

NineBerry wrote:
Agrippina wrote:I don't identify with any religion at all but from the point of view of the Holocaust and especially because my ancestry is German, I see that if I'd been in Germany in the 1930s, with my kids, and their father being Jewish as well, even though we never practiced the religion, we would have been victims. Otherwise from the point of view of my ancestry, I see myself as Jewish.

The nazis didn't persecute Jews for their religion but for their perceived race.

I know that, but they didn't differentiate between Jews who looked like Middle Easterners and blond people. If you had Jews in your family, up to I think 3 (possibly more) generations, you were put into a cattle car.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#157  Postby Aern Rakesh » Aug 03, 2012 9:36 am

NineBerry wrote:

I dare you to say that over on the pigs' heads dumped in the mosque thread!

No, just kidding. I apologise for that very trollish thing to say. :smile:

But it is further proof of how difficult it is to distinguish between racial hatred and religious hatred, and how the two get mixed up in the minds of people. Which is not, in my opinion, to say that either type of hatred is good.
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#158  Postby Agrippina » Aug 03, 2012 9:46 am

Nora_Leonard wrote:
NineBerry wrote:

I dare you to say that over on the pigs' heads dumped in the mosque thread!

No, just kidding. I apologise for that very trollish thing to say. :smile:

But it is further proof of how difficult it is to distinguish between racial hatred and religious hatred, and how the two get mixed up in the minds of people. Which is not, in my opinion, to say that either type of hatred is good.

It's ridiculous to hate people just because they are different, whatever the difference. If I did that I'd have only one or two people in the world that I could talk to.

I don't hate people because of their religion, I hate the religion that causes them to judge me as being unworthy for their god.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#159  Postby angelo » Aug 03, 2012 9:48 am

I'm very late to this thread, and have read a good part of it, but not all of it, so this may have already been mentioned, but were there any orthodox Jews among the perpetrators of 9/11 ? Not that I'm claiming one religion is superior above the other, just saying.
angelo

Name: angelo barbato
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#160  Postby Agrippina » Aug 03, 2012 9:55 am

No idea, I'm sure they were all Muslims.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism