this site disgusts me!!

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: this site disgusts me!!

#221  Postby 95Theses » Mar 10, 2010 10:56 am

aspire1670 wrote:
BrendenG wrote:Ok then. Then when i say that the christain god exists therefore he is real. based on what your saying.

Fuck.

I should be a wiccan :shock:

Do I need to get a broomstick?
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts - Bertrand Russel

Quoting yourself in your own signature is both narcissistic and plain weird - 95Theses
95Theses
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#222  Postby katja z » Mar 10, 2010 11:03 am

95Theses wrote:
Fuck.

It's worth checking first, maybe hoovers are allowed. You have to move with the times, after all.
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#223  Postby 95Theses » Mar 10, 2010 11:08 am

katja z wrote:
95Theses wrote:
Fuck.

It's worth checking first, maybe hoovers are allowed. You have to move with the times, after all.

Ooooh awesome.

Like Ghostbusters?

Now do I as a new Wiccan get any awesome gods I wonder :ask:

Wikipedia here I come.

(I'm not sure this is how most religious conversions work to be honest)
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts - Bertrand Russel

Quoting yourself in your own signature is both narcissistic and plain weird - 95Theses
95Theses
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#224  Postby drl2 » Mar 10, 2010 2:17 pm

Vacuums?

What about the Harry Potter Vibrating Broomstick?
drl2

Print view this post

#225  Postby Sphynxcat » Mar 10, 2010 2:40 pm

Onyx8 wrote:Just in case I would rather be gentle and interested. I mean if he really is fourteen, then he deserves some slack. At least virtual slack.

BrendenG, work with me here, buddy i'm trying to help. ok? :thumbup:

(And when I say slack I know that at least some of you out there know of what I speak. (cough, Sphynxcat, cough)

You know for a long time, I had trouble with what slack actually is. I'd have contacted Stang or someone, but I was embarrased in case it'd be too pink of me.

But then I realised - to strive for understanding of slack is about as pink as you could get.

And then truly, I knew - I had found slack. :cheers:
Author of 'Dreamshade', one weird and wild fantasy epic: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/15916
Sphynxcat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#226  Postby chairman bill » Mar 10, 2010 8:47 pm

95Theses wrote:... I should be a wiccan :shock: ...

I was going to be a witch, but I'm dyslexic, so no good at spells :(
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#227  Postby katja z » Mar 10, 2010 9:04 pm

Chairman bill, I'm sure dyslexia isn't a problem - just think of Granny Weatherwax :grin:

Anyway, if you're able to spell dyslexia, it's a proof you don't have it :cheers:
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#228  Postby Dr. Kwaltz » Mar 11, 2010 2:15 am

Oh noes... I just read the last 10 pages in hope of havefaith-or-whatever would return and hash out some more golden nuggets.

So, I just wanted to share a nugget down the same alley which I found over at FSTDT:
David B. wrote:
Oh give me a break.
1) NONE of these 'scientists' knows with any degree of certainty that the earth is even that old!
2) an asteroid had nothing at all to do with anything like this on this planet. It was a global flood that did in the dinosaurs. It's been proven.
3) the Earth, at best is near 8-9 thousand years old, not millions.
4) HAD an asteroid hit this planet, it would NOT be in the kind of perfect orbit it is that sustains the life it does. It would have knocked us out of that orbit, not left it alone on the exact axis tilt we are on, at the rate of speed we are, on the orbits around the sun that we are.
College educated idiots is what they are...

*chuckle*
Coworker on food:
We have 4 basic food groups: alcohol, fat, chocolate and caffeine... Get them all in a Mudslide!
Me:
I'm a tea lover - Long Island Ice Tea to be specific.
Dr. Kwaltz

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#229  Postby Onyx8 » Mar 11, 2010 6:43 am

Sphynxcat wrote:
Onyx8 wrote:Just in case I would rather be gentle and interested. I mean if he really is fourteen, then he deserves some slack. At least virtual slack.

(And when I say slack I know that at least some of you out there know of what I speak. (cough, Sphynxcat, cough)

You know for a long time, I had trouble with what slack actually is. I'd have contacted Stang or someone, but I was embarrased in case it'd be too pink of me.

But then I realised - to strive for understanding of slack is about as pink as you could get.

And then truly, I knew - I had found slack. :cheers:

:cheers: I guess it's open season on OT, Brenden seems to have flown the coop, I hope he comes back.

Sphynx you got it man. I used to have a boat named "Quest for Slack" that only very few people 'got' but all the boaty types thought they understood (slack tides and all that). Now that is slack. :naughty2: :thumbup:
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#230  Postby Scarlett » Mar 11, 2010 8:21 am

Dr. Kwaltz wrote:Oh noes... I just read the last 10 pages in hope of havefaith-or-whatever would return and hash out some more golden nuggets.

So, I just wanted to share a nugget down the same alley which I found over at FSTDT:
David B. wrote:
Oh give me a break.
1) NONE of these 'scientists' knows with any degree of certainty that the earth is even that old!
2) an asteroid had nothing at all to do with anything like this on this planet. It was a global flood that did in the dinosaurs. It's been proven.
3) the Earth, at best is near 8-9 thousand years old, not millions.
4) HAD an asteroid hit this planet, it would NOT be in the kind of perfect orbit it is that sustains the life it does. It would have knocked us out of that orbit, not left it alone on the exact axis tilt we are on, at the rate of speed we are, on the orbits around the sun that we are.

*chuckle*

See that's scary, how do you argue against idiots like that? They're so stupid it's surely pointless :crazy:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#231  Postby Occam's Laser » Mar 11, 2010 2:59 pm

BrendenG wrote:thats all you people ever go after is spelling errors. but no evidence for your atheism. hhmmm.

Are you the BrendanG from San Diego who was posting on richarddawkins.net? You left some embarrassing issues on the table a few weeks before that forum imploded. I don't blame you if you don't want to go back to some of those topics, because it was an epic train wreck. If I remember correctly, you were attempting to justify the killing of children. That's obviously off topic (well, given the title of this thread, possibly not) but my point is unless you've improved a shitload in the past two months, you don't stand much of a chance here either.
Occam's Laser

Male

Print view this post

#232  Postby Occam's Laser » Mar 11, 2010 3:05 pm

BrendenG wrote:Ok then. Then when i say that the christain god exists therefore he is real. based on what your saying.

mmmcheezy refuted this correctly: if there exists a person who adheres to X, then "X-ism" exists. If there is a person who genuinely, honestly withholds belief in gods of any kind, then atheism exists. If there is a person who genuinely, honestly believes in at least one god, then theism exists. But if there is a person who genuinely, honestly believes in at least one god, that in no way implies that the at least one god exists. That's an easily identifiable non sequitur logical fallacy that doesn't apply in the analogy with the existence of atheism or theism.
Occam's Laser

Male

Print view this post

#233  Postby Occam's Laser » Mar 11, 2010 3:14 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
BrendenG wrote:thats all you people ever go after is spelling errors. but no evidence for your atheism. hhmmm.

How can you have evidence for atheism? Atheism is the lack of belief in gods, what evidence do I need to provide that I lack belief in gods? I am evidence that atheism exists, pleased to meet you.

Now how about moving on from ridiculous positions?

Evidence for atheism might be the results of a lie detector test which indicates an honest answer of "No" to the question "Do you believe in any gods?" Beyond that, personally, I could point to a twenty year history of posting opinions on various Internet forums which are entirely consistent with what would be expected of someone who does not believe in any gods. I could direct BrendanG to people whom I've debated via forums, email, and in person, who are quite convinced that I not only withhold belief in all gods, but evidently I'm certainly going to be punished for eternity for failing to hold certain of those beliefs; in other words, independent corroboration is available.

But to prove I'm an atheist to 100% necessary certainty would be extremely difficult, and extremely unnecessary. It's just a red herring to shift the spotlight away from BrendanG's (and pretty much everybody else's) inability to provide any evidence that their particular gods exist. (Note that the "provide any evidence" challenge to theists is usually equivocated into a tu quoque challenge to atheists to "provide any proof" of atheism, but BrendanG has made the mistake of keeping it consistent at "evidence", making it much easier to refute.)
Occam's Laser

Male

Print view this post

#234  Postby Occam's Laser » Mar 11, 2010 3:20 pm

No, he was initially given some on RDF, and his argument got its ass politely handed to him in several of the referenced threads. He does have a naive charm in that he expects the Bible to be the ultimate victor in any debate, but he painted himself into some very embarrassing situations over there, such as defending the ancient Biblical practice of killing children if God commands it.

"You'll PAY to learn what you really believe!" (J.R. "Bob" Dobbs)
Occam's Laser

Male

Print view this post

#235  Postby Melhael » Mar 11, 2010 3:52 pm

Those people are scared of science, of education and of knowledge as a whole. The scary part is I suspect that they are not a minority at all. :nono:
Happiness is not a state; it's the process through which we better ourselves.

ImageTHE DRUIDIC ORDER OF NATURALISTS
http://www.caerabred.org/
Melhael

Male

Print view this post

#236  Postby Onyx8 » Mar 11, 2010 11:16 pm

Occam's Laser wrote:

No, he was initially given some on RDF, and his argument got its ass politely handed to him in several of the referenced threads. He does have a naive charm in that he expects the Bible to be the ultimate victor in any debate, but he painted himself into some very embarrassing situations over there, such as defending the ancient Biblical practice of killing children if God commands it.

"You'll PAY to learn what you really believe!" (J.R. "Bob" Dobbs)

Agreed. :thumbup: :thumbup: :naughty2:
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#237  Postby Ciarin » Mar 12, 2010 12:07 am

Poe
Ciarin

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#238  Postby BigRed » Mar 14, 2010 5:36 pm

What is a poe?
I want to be the girl with the most cake.
BigRed

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#239  Postby UnderConstruction » Mar 14, 2010 5:39 pm

BigRed wrote:What is a poe?

http://rationalwiki.com/wiki/Poe's_Law
"Origins from God/Genesis are secular actually as we see it." - Robert Byers
UnderConstruction

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#240  Postby BigRed » Mar 14, 2010 5:45 pm

Thank you!
I want to be the girl with the most cake.
BigRed

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism