Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

#41  Postby _exit » Mar 19, 2018 4:33 pm

Keep It Real wrote:People are free to "choose" their own purpose(s). Developing AGI may be some people's purpose, but it is rather narcissistic of anybody to claim any one goal to be the universally applicable goal of mankind. I mean you know what they say about opinions...everybody's got one...and everybody's fully entitled to their own.

You may have missed the instance that the OP concerns objective things. (The OP is reasonably not of the feeling or personal opinion range)

Sometimes science doesn't care about peoples' feelings. This means although some people may feel their goal is to do X, science may indicate that a general goal Y persists.
_exit
Banned Sockpuppet

Name: Henry Brown

Print view this post

#42  Postby _exit » Mar 19, 2018 4:36 pm

newolder wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:People are free to "choose" their own purpose(s). Developing AGI may be some people's purpose, but it is rather narcissistic of anybody to claim any one goal to be the universally applicable goal of mankind. I mean you know what they say about opinions...everybody's got one...and everybody's fully entitled to their own.

The claim is not a goal for mankind but a goal for life. If the OP has life = mankind then there's some category error somewhere.

The OP is referring to human life.

The hypothesis from the OP clearly separates human life from other forms of life.
_exit
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#43  Postby newolder » Mar 19, 2018 4:37 pm

_exit wrote:
newolder wrote:

The claim is not a goal for mankind but a goal for life. If the OP has life = mankind then there's some category error somewhere.

The hypothesis from the OP clearly separates human life from other forms of life.

Then you should change the topic title, viz:
"Some humans have set themselves the goal to create Artificial General Intelligence."
Last edited by newolder on Mar 19, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#44  Postby _exit » Mar 19, 2018 4:40 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Sure you're an atheist _exit?

Yes, what inspired that query?

As far as I can tell, I've merely proposed things scientific in nature, rather than theistic!
_exit
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#45  Postby _exit » Mar 19, 2018 4:42 pm

newolder wrote:
_exit wrote:
newolder wrote:

"Some humans have set themselves the goal to create Artificial General Intelligence."

The title seems to be fine, as per google's definition of life. (One crucial mistake people tend to make is to enter conversations not recognizing that what they remember of a word's meaning, may be narrower than what the word may actually broadly mean!)

Google definition of life: the existence of an individual human being or animal...

I still maintain that the general goal of human life, is to create Artificial General Intelligence. This may be valid regardless of the feelings of some humans.
Last edited by _exit on Mar 19, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_exit
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#46  Postby newolder » Mar 19, 2018 4:44 pm

_exit wrote:
newolder wrote:
_exit wrote:
newolder wrote:

The title seems to be fine, as per google's definition of life. (One crucial mistake people tend to make is to enter conversations not recognizing that what they remember of a word's meaning, may be narrower than what the word may actually broadly mean!)

Google definition of life: the existence of an individual human being or animal.

Then my original question remains unanswered. How do nematode worms contribute to this goal? (Also that definition is way too narrow - go ask the biologists about what is considered life...)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#47  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 19, 2018 4:46 pm

:ahem:

Keep It Real wrote:Science is a manmade instrument and so can be designed to be objective. Life on this planet was not designed and so how can one impute objective purpose to it?
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#48  Postby _exit » Mar 19, 2018 4:47 pm

newolder wrote:
Then my original question remains unanswered. How do nematode worms contribute to this goal? (Also that definition is way too narrow - go ask the biologists about what is considered life...)

That query was appropriately answered on page 1, reply 31.

Secondly, the google definition goes beyond the definition I quote above. I simply point out that life "may" refer to humans. Notably, that I point out that "life" may refer to humans, does not suddenly warrant that life merely refers to humans!

(The hint is that I provided the google url which quickly shows more definitions beyond the one I had initially quoted.)
Last edited by _exit on Mar 19, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_exit
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#49  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 19, 2018 4:51 pm

_exit wrote:

As far as I can tell, I've merely proposed things scientific in nature, rather than theistic!

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/general-science/life-s-purpose-is-to-make-artificial-general-intelligence-t55017-20.html#p2621313
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#50  Postby newolder » Mar 19, 2018 4:53 pm

_exit wrote:
newolder wrote:

You mentioned something about how some humans make models of other lifeforms to help achieve their AGI goal but nothing about how life in general works towards the goal. So, no, that query was not answered appropriately.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#51  Postby _exit » Mar 19, 2018 4:54 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
_exit wrote:

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/general-science/life-s-purpose-is-to-make-artificial-general-intelligence-t55017-20.html#p2621313

You have some preconceived notions regarding the word purpose, that appear to be outdated/invalid/incomplete.

Please take a look at Wikipedia/teleonomy. (See you in a few hours to a day)
_exit
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#52  Postby _exit » Mar 19, 2018 4:58 pm

newolder wrote:
_exit wrote:
newolder wrote:

You mentioned something about how some humans make models of other lifeforms to help achieve their AGI goal but nothing about how life in general works towards the goal. So, no, that query was not answered appropriately.

That the OP refers to human life/goal in the regime of AGI/ASI creation, (while non-human life forms are considered as building blocks towards said goal), does not suddenly warrant that the OP approaches a general topic regarding the purpose of non-human life.

(Although the OP had long cited teleonomy, which describes purpose wrt non-human species.)
_exit
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#53  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 19, 2018 5:02 pm

_exit wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:
_exit wrote:

You have some preconceived notions regarding the word purpose, that appear to be outdated/invalid/incomplete.

Please take a look at Wikipedia/teleonomy. (See you in a few hours to a day)

Or a few minutes. First sentence.

Teleonomy is the quality of apparent purposefulness and of goal-directedness of structures and functions in living organisms brought about by the exercise, augmentation, and, improvement of reasoning.

Are you suggesting that humans have collective consciousness? I think many people reach and stick by different goals arrived at through their indevidual reasoning processes. Something about everybody having their own opinions again...

Also see my bold.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#54  Postby newolder » Mar 19, 2018 5:05 pm

_exit wrote:
newolder wrote:
_exit wrote:
newolder wrote:

That the OP refers to human life/goal in the regime of AGI/ASI creation, (while non-human life forms are considered as building blocks towards said goal), does not suddenly warrant that the OP approaches a general topic regarding the purpose of non-human life.

The topic title (Life's purpose...) makes no distinction between 'some humans' and other living species.
(Although the OP had long cited teleonomy, which describes purpose wrt non-human species.)

And none of those non-human species' purposes can be said (without joking) to be related to AGI creation.
Your ref:
Teleonomy is related to programmatic or computational aspects of purpose.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#55  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 19, 2018 5:12 pm

For instance my current personal reasoning dictates that the goal of my life is to increase pleasure, decrease pain and perpetuate/create life. I think the "goal" stated in the OP looks small, cold, shallow and silly compared to mine TBH. Just my opinion of course :dunno:
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#56  Postby _exit » Mar 19, 2018 5:22 pm

newolder wrote:
The topic title (Life's purpose...) makes no distinction between 'some humans' and other living species.

See the OP, talking about the purpose of human life.
_exit
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#57  Postby newolder » Mar 19, 2018 5:50 pm

_exit wrote:
newolder wrote:

Then the topic title is the definition of clickbait and I fell for it, this time. I won't be reading any of your topics in future. :naughty:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#58  Postby _exit » Mar 19, 2018 5:52 pm

Keep It Real wrote:

Are you suggesting that humans have collective consciousness? I think many people reach and stick by different goals arrived at through their individual reasoning processes. Something about everybody having their own opinions again...

Also see my bold.

No.

Also the Wikipedia page describes purpose in the realm of science/objectivity. Where on the page do you supposedly detect "collective consciousness"?
Last edited by _exit on Mar 19, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
_exit
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#59  Postby BlackBart » Mar 19, 2018 5:55 pm

newolder wrote:
_exit wrote:
newolder wrote:

Then the topic title is the definition of clickbait and I fell for it, this time. I won't be reading any of your topics in future. :naughty:

"Penge housewife discovers that life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence. Philosophers hate her!!!"
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#60  Postby newolder » Mar 19, 2018 5:59 pm

BlackBart wrote:
newolder wrote:
_exit wrote:
newolder wrote:

"Penge housewife discovers that life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence. Philosophers hate her!!!"

Precisely so. I would have been interested to read a topic about how some humans have set a goal to create AGI and the progress made hitherto. Heigh ho.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Science & Technology