Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

#1  Postby _exit » Mar 18, 2018 7:54 pm

Reminder: One ought not to confuse the teleological argument (purpose in the realm of subjectivity/deities/religion), with teleonomy (purpose in the realm of objectivity/science); this thread is concerned with purpose in the realm of science.

I became an atheist several years ago, and for a long while I thought life was purposeless. I am still an atheist today, but two years ago, I discovered that science had something to say about the purpose of human life in particular.
  • Science reasonably indicates that the purpose of human life is likely to engineer the creation of Artificial General Intelligence!
  • But why is the purpose of human life reasonably to create Artificial General Intelligence?

Source: Research-gate/Why is the purpose of life to build Artificial General Intelligence?
_exit
Banned Sockpuppet

Name: Henry Brown

Print view this post

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

#3  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 19, 2018 12:16 am

Other than starting with a pointless image, they don't seem quite the same. Say what you will about ZombieBotJordan, at least he made some attempt at the argument instead of this clickbait nonsense.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Thommo » Mar 19, 2018 12:35 am

Oh, sorry, I was just pointing out that the document linked for discussion in the OP is written by Jordan. It's got his name on it.

Whether the OP of this thread has any personal connection to Jordan, I didn't really consider.
Thommo

Print view this post

#5  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 19, 2018 12:47 am

No, my bad :lol: I didn't follow the link, that's what I get for being paranoid about clickbait!
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 19, 2018 1:16 am

And once "Artifical General Intelligence" (tis a silly term lol) is achieved humans have no purpose?
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#7  Postby Matthew Shute » Mar 19, 2018 1:34 am

After we've made AGI, I suppose we're to wait around for Henry or Jordan to come and give us our next purpose. It's considerate of him/them to keep us informed about our goals like this, isn't it?

:what:
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#8  Postby _exit » Mar 19, 2018 3:35 am

Matthew Shute wrote:After we've made AGI, I suppose we're to wait around for Henry or Jordan to come and give us our next purpose. It's considerate of him/them to keep us informed about our goals like this, isn't it?

:what:

Maybe AGI/ASI would convert us into stuff they need?

It wouldn't be the first time components in nature essentially cease to exist, in order to substantiate some subsequent stuff.
_exit
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#9  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 19, 2018 3:46 am

You do realise you're going to get banned as a sock puppet as soon as a mod wakes up to do the deed Jordan? If you've got anything else to say better make it snappy mate...
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#10  Postby _exit » Mar 19, 2018 4:00 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:Other than starting with a pointless image, they don't seem quite the same. Say what you will about ZombieBotJordan, at least he made some attempt at the argument instead of this clickbait nonsense.

I guess I could have copy pasted the document's argument to the OP.

..but wait, wouldn't directly copy pasting everything (or large portions of stuff) in the document's argument to the thread/OP be against the rules?
Last edited by _exit on Mar 19, 2018 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
_exit
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#11  Postby _exit » Mar 19, 2018 4:02 am

Keep It Real wrote:You do realise you're going to get banned as a sock puppet as soon as a mod wakes up to do the deed Jordan? If you've got anything else to say better make it snappy mate...

Doesn't this forum do IP bans?
_exit
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#12  Postby _exit » Mar 19, 2018 4:06 am

Keep It Real wrote:And once "Artifical General Intelligence" (tis a silly term lol) is achieved humans have no purpose?

What issue do you personally, supposedly find with the term Artifical General Intelligence?
_exit
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#13  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 19, 2018 4:15 am

_exit wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:You do realise you're going to get banned as a sock puppet as soon as a mod wakes up to do the deed Jordan? If you've got anything else to say better make it snappy mate...

Nope.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#14  Postby _exit » Mar 19, 2018 4:18 am

Keep It Real wrote:
_exit wrote:

Nope.

Why would a sock wait at least 3 years to post about a paper on the thread? (paper was available from 2015) :ask:
Last edited by _exit on Mar 19, 2018 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
_exit
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#15  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 19, 2018 4:18 am

_exit wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:And once "Artifical General Intelligence" (tis a silly term lol) is achieved humans have no purpose?

What issue do you personally, supposedly find with the term Artifical General Intelligence?

According to the wiki page it's basically strong AI....according to some people it is slightly different as AGI doesn't have consciousness - but as I'm not at all certain consciousness exists in humans at all in any meaningful sense the distinction seems moot, and AGI is unnecessarily esoteric a term compared to the noosphere popular term strong AI.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#16  Postby _exit » Mar 19, 2018 4:24 am

Keep It Real wrote:
_exit wrote:

According to the wiki page it's basically strong AI....according to some people it is slightly different as AGI doesn't have consciousness - but as I'm not at all certain consciousness exists in humans at all in any meaningful sense the distinction seems moot, and AGI is unnecessarily esoteric a term compared to the noosphere popular term strong AI.

What do you think of MIT's AGI course?

What do you think of Google's, Microsoft's, etc effort of working particularly to achieve AGI?

Did you know that AGI work seeks to replicate something in humans called "general intelligence", regardless of how the word consciousness may be varyingly defined (or rather, regardless of how the word consciousness may be varyingly understood)?

Did you know that AGI may need be mankind's last invention?
Last edited by _exit on Mar 19, 2018 4:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
_exit
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#17  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 19, 2018 4:27 am

Fair enough _exit - I wasn't aware of any of that. Thanks for taking me to school on this topic. For what it's worth I hope you're not Jordan and that you don't get banned. I'm off for a nap now, TTFN.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#18  Postby _exit » Mar 19, 2018 4:31 am

Keep It Real wrote:Fair enough _exit - I wasn't aware of any of that. Thanks for taking me to school on this topic. For what it's worth I hope you're not Jordan and that you don't get banned. I'm off for a nap now, TTFN.

No problem. Thanks, looking forward to not being banned, and more discussions.
_exit
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#19  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 19, 2018 5:43 am

_exit wrote:Did you know that AGI work seeks to replicate something in humans called "general intelligence", regardless of how the word consciousness may be varyingly defined (or rather, regardless of how the word consciousness may be varyingly understood)?

Well, the wikipedia article on AGI does not start out well:

Artificial general intelligence (AGI) is the intelligence of a machine that could successfully perform any intellectual task that a human being can.

That use of any doesn't really describe the task of anyone doing research on AI, so really, the search for AGI is related to a set of tasks that somebody thinks represents a useful kind of AI. Useful to whom? Why, humans of course. With only humans to define the target 'intelligence', don't you think the language of 'general intelligence' is a bit grandiose? Some example tasks are listed a little later in the article, but such an article is only really pertinent to a non-expert who might want to pretend to understand what actual AI researchers are up to.

In sum, you're not after anything technical, here. In fact, the thread title you chose (related to the Bennett article you linked) is bordering on absurd. The problem of purpose is even worse than the problem of intelligence. People who want to get something done stick to words like function, which will get you back to focusing on the kinds of tasks you want the machine to perform. Who sets those priorities? Your thread is in the wrong subforum, because you're just asking philosophical questions. There's nothing wrong with that, but putting this kind of discussion into a technology subforum is also bordering on the absurd. There are very few folks contributing to threads like this who know very much about technology, anyway.

The article at Research Gate to which you linked was written by somebody obsessed with purpose -- in other words, an ex-theist who's kinda missing the good old days. Perhaps life's purpose is to reach the stage of obsessing about life's purpose. If you are not, in fact, Jordan Micah Bennett, you're wasting your time on crap like that. Go and learn a respectable trade. Train as a certified electrician, and help people re-wire their kitchens.

_exit wrote:Why would a sock wait at least 3 years to post about a paper on the thread? (paper was available from 2015)

Fair question, I guess. However, it's only been a year since Jordan Bennett showed up here with his little song and dance. Maybe he was holding out on us, back then. So no, the three-year time span doesn't really answer any questions someone might have about sock puppetry.

_exit wrote:Doesn't this forum do IP bans?

Why does any self-respecting troll use an identifiable IP domain, the first thing anyone would check?
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 19, 2018 11:39 am

OP seems to rely on an is/ought fallacy.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Science & Technology