Students wash their feet in school washroom sink!

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Students wash their feet in school washroom sink!

#1  Postby reisender » Apr 14, 2010 5:18 am

I work at an international ESL college for college age students, and I've heard of this happening but I saw it for the first time today. A student took his shoes off, reached his leg over the counter and rinsed his feet one by one in the sink and put his shoes back on.

I just half-looked at the situation with as little disgust on my face as I could muster and he said "don't pay attention to me, it's a ritual" I said "I know" and went about my business. After leaving the washroom, I said "surely washing your feet in the sink is a sanitary issue" to which she shrugged and said "it all goes down the drain I guess" I'd heard of the students washing their feet after lunch or something, but I thought maybe they used a basin or something. Needless to say water is left all over the sink and on the floor.

Can anyone tell me what religion dictates this, if there is a legitimate sanitary issue?
Judging by the teacher's reaction (who is my supervisor but not manager) they know about this.
I'm sure they bend over backwards to accomodate students to get their attendance and money, or just look the other way.
Am I overreacting thinking that some attention should be brought to this matter?
SpeedOfSound wrote:I also held my last puff before I went into a non-smoking Establishment and gleefully exhaled a half a cigarette inside.
reisender

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Students wash their feet in school washroom sink!

#2  Postby z8000783 » Apr 14, 2010 5:44 am

Looks like they might have been our old friends, the Muslims.

The Holy Prophet (peace be on him) said,
"WUDHU is the key to prayer as prayer is the key to Paradise. ISLAM lays extreme stress on cleanliness and "TAHARAT".

As external actions have deep impact upon internal feelings, such as artificial crying makes a person sad as well as artificial laughter makes one happy so is cleanliness and ablution.

Purified body lends to purity of mind, however, cleanliness which is ablution, or wudhu, has been made compulsory before each prayer and in certain cases even a full bath has been made obligatory before prayer.
Wudhu

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Shuggy » Apr 19, 2010 8:21 am

reisender wrote:I work at an international ESL college for college age students, ... A student took his shoes off, reached his leg over the counter and rinsed his feet one by one in the sink and put his shoes back on.

I just half-looked at the situation with as little disgust on my face as I could muster ...
Am I overreacting thinking that some attention should be brought to this matter?
What "matter"? Why the disgust? Their feet are probably cleaner than their hands (especially if they wash them five times a day).
The Wero Shop - products to make you laugh and think
Shuggy

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Berthold » Apr 20, 2010 4:38 pm

What's a sink for, anyway? Do you* eat out of it? ;)

*I mean the writer of the OP
Berthold

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Oeditor » Apr 20, 2010 5:43 pm

That's nothing. My wife's seen it done in a hospital ward sink, FFS. :thumbdown:
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby james1v » Apr 20, 2010 5:47 pm

Ive done a lot worse in the occasional sink, you just didnt see it. :coffee:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Aurlito » Apr 20, 2010 5:53 pm

Wow you're overreacting. if it revulsive just don't look at it. he has to pray, he has to rinse, and he has no other option except the sink. being critical of every stupid thing that you observe in society makes you a jerk.
If your thoughts are the same as they were yesterday, your retired.
Aurlito
Banned Troll

Male

Print view this post

#8  Postby Berthold » Apr 20, 2010 6:50 pm

james1v wrote:Ive done a lot worse in the occasional sink, you just didnt see it. :coffee:

Oh, you, too! :cheers:
Berthold

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Paul G » Apr 20, 2010 6:56 pm

What's the problem? Apart from the spilt water, but that happens when washing your hands.
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Oeditor » Apr 20, 2010 7:19 pm

Aurlito wrote:Wow you're overreacting. if it revulsive just don't look at it. he has to pray, he has to rinse, and he has no other option except the sink. being critical of every stupid thing that you observe in society makes you a jerk.
Err, excuse me? He has to pray? Says who? Expecting other people to suffer his mediaeval religious nonsense makes him a jerk. First prove that Allah exists, then prove that Allah demands praying and foot-washing then there might be something in these stupid ablutions. Once, that is, you've proven that there aren't equally potent deities who demand that feet be rubbed in shit before praying.
Edit: pig shit even, just to stress the point.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Paul G » Apr 20, 2010 7:25 pm

Oeditor wrote:
Aurlito wrote:Wow you're overreacting. if it revulsive just don't look at it. he has to pray, he has to rinse, and he has no other option except the sink. being critical of every stupid thing that you observe in society makes you a jerk.
Err, excuse me? He has to pray? Says who? Expecting other people to suffer his mediaeval religious nonsense makes him a jerk. First prove that Allah exists, then prove that Allah demands praying and foot-washing then there might be something in these stupid ablutions. Once, that is, you've proven that there aren't equally potent deities who demand that feet be rubbed in shit before praying.

How is watching someone wash their feet suffering his medievil nonsense?
Paul G

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Aurlito » Apr 20, 2010 7:35 pm

Oeditor wrote:

In his own boundaries, he has to pray. simple.
If your thoughts are the same as they were yesterday, your retired.
Aurlito
Banned Troll

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby Oeditor » Apr 20, 2010 7:39 pm

Paul G wrote:

Well let me put it like this: if when visiting my wife in hospital I'd decided to wash my feet in the patients' sink I'd have been out on my arse, and quite rightly. As a visitor, I would be there on sufferance and have minimal rights. Had someone spilled some urine on my feet, I would be entitled to wash them - if I were unable to stagger to the bathroom. If some deranged magic man and his psychotic acolyte had been alleged to demand that I wash my feet just because, no. Those sinks are there to keep the ward free of infection. If the man's feet are not infected, he doesn't need to wash them. If they are infected, he'd better get the hell out of there and get them treated by his doctor.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Paul G » Apr 20, 2010 7:46 pm

Oeditor wrote:
Paul G wrote:

Well let me put it like this: if when visiting my wife in hospital I'd decided to wash my feet in the patients' sink I'd have been out on my arse, and quite rightly. As a visitor, I would be there on sufferance and have minimal rights. Had someone spilled some urine on my feet, I would be entitled to wash them - if I were unable to stagger to the bathroom. If some deranged magic man and his psychotic acolyte had been alleged to demand that I wash my feet just because, no. Those sinks are there to keep the ward free of infection. If the man's feet are not infected, he doesn't need to wash them. If they are infected, he'd better get the hell out of there and get them treated by his doctor.

I fail to see, unless there's a hygeine risk, why anyone isn't permitted to wash their feet anywhere they please? That the hospital would kick you out has no relevance to whether it's right or wrong.

What if he just fancied washing his feet for another reason? The act should be treated purely for what it is, without the religious connotations. What is harmful about washing feet over hands?
Paul G

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Paul G » Apr 20, 2010 7:48 pm

Aurlito wrote:
Oeditor wrote:

In his own boundaries, he has to pray. simple.

What's wrong with just being able to do as he pleases with his own damn feet?
Paul G

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Sphynxcat » Apr 20, 2010 7:50 pm

Paul G wrote: What is harmful about washing feet over hands?

You're liable to give yourself a hernia, for a start.

sorry...

sorry...
Author of 'Dreamshade', one weird and wild fantasy epic: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/15916
Sphynxcat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Scarlett » Apr 20, 2010 7:54 pm

I'm with Oeditor on this one :cheers:

Anyway, feet are more prone to fungal infections, verrucas, athletes foot

I once went to the loo at work and found a girl washing her belly button piercing in the wash basin :yuk:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Paul G » Apr 20, 2010 7:55 pm

Paula1 wrote:I'm with Oeditor on this one :cheers:

Anyway, feet are more prone to fungal infections, verrucas, athletes foot

I once went to the loo at work and found a girl washing her belly button piercing in the wash basin :yuk:

So I assume if there were no hygeine concerns you'd be ok with it?

Maybe we could have tests for using bathrooms, too dirty and you can't wash.
Last edited by Paul G on Apr 20, 2010 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul G

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Mantisdreamz » Apr 20, 2010 7:55 pm

I don't see the big deal either. Kids are stuck at school all day, where else are they supposed to wash them if they just came from gym class and their feet are rancid? Besides, it's a bathroom, that's where you are supposed to be doing private, hygienic rituals.

Feet are not dirty, probably spread a lot less germs than hands... if you don't have fungal infections^ that is.
Mantisdreamz

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby GenesForLife » Apr 20, 2010 8:06 pm

The problem isn't that he washed his own feet, IMO, my issue is that he didn't get his own sink lol
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Islam