How did you find the lifeboat?

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

How'd you find us?

PM or avatar ad. on RDF
28%
Facebook
2%
rationalia
10%
Thinking Aloud
1%
Secular Cafe
1%
One of the other befriended forums
9%
Reference by friend, family member, or aquaintance
13%
Other
37%

Total votes : 439

Re: How did you find the lifeboat?

#221  Postby Agrippina » Sep 06, 2012 7:04 am

:rofl: It's so funny when you see swearing "out of context" like that. It's the reason why I don't use it on the internet, it has a lot more punch when I do.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#222  Postby Corke » Sep 06, 2012 1:19 pm

:lol: Wrong again.

Why can't I find the like button at the top of your post?
Corke

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#223  Postby Aern Rakesh » Sep 07, 2012 11:47 am

Calilasseia wrote:Time for a spot of history.

<snip>
It simply remains for me to say, that having now enjoyed over two years of my tenure here at RatSkep, a big word of thanks is due not only to LIFE for providing a new ship, and to the many disparate individuals who make up the community here, whose contributions are valuable whether they're of a scientific or social nature, but also to the people over on the other vessel over at Rationalia, sailing a sometimes parallel course, sometimes engaging in zig-zagging of their own about the discoursive oceans, and whom I am not going to abandon in their own hour of need, as they find themselves subject to undeserved, and lately, wholly gratuitous shellfire.

:cheers:

Although I disagree with you as regards the on-going validity of mythology---but not, I hasten to add---as a substitute for either science or history, I thought this was a beautiful statement of appreciation of RatSkep, and in particular, of the community, which RD et al. tossed aside without a thought.

I, too, would like to thank all those who preserved bits of the old forum (chiefly Nineberry :cheers: ). Not because I've gone back to that stuff, but rather because I know what a labour of love that kind of archiving can require (although maybe not so much for someone as tech-saavy as Neun?)
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#224  Postby Agrippina » Sep 07, 2012 12:22 pm

And to Nora for finding me and bringing me here. :hugs:
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#225  Postby Aern Rakesh » Sep 07, 2012 12:26 pm

Agrippina wrote:And to Nora for finding me and bringing me here. :hugs:

How did I find you? I don't remember that. I do remember going to look for several of my pals...

Where did I find you? Was it Ratz?

I do remember telling Simon about this place and then he beat me over here! Kind of pissed cause I saw it first! :lol:
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#226  Postby Agrippina » Sep 07, 2012 12:45 pm

I don't remember. All I remember is that you called me over, and I was all excited about setting up lots of familiar threads. :lol:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#227  Postby Lobotomy » Oct 22, 2012 9:04 am

I was searching for links to "Signs: An Introduction to Semiotics" (2nd ed.) by Thomas A. Sebeok (2001). I am a Christian and seriously entertain the fundamentalist and/or evangelical worldview(s). No hostility intended. No paraleipsis intended either. Was looking for more info about semiotics and structuralism. Maybe something good about semiotics which I can download onto a Kobo reader. If I were to suggest that theories in science are underdetermined by the facts (see 'underdeterminism' in the Stanford Encylopedia of Philosophy) and therefore that for any particular set of facts the theories (yes, plural) can be fairly diverse and that diversity of theories in science could be a good thing -- would I be trashed as a result of being a Christian and arguing this point? Why must there be no diversity arguments about scientific theory?

As for skepticism: how do I entertain the idea that I have been lobotomized? Well, I do not remember being lobotomized, but my memory could be faulty or I could have repressed traumatic events around the time of the event. Perhaps nothing exists and solipsism is wrong. Pyrrhonists (sorry if this is wrong spelling) aside, skepticism is a good thing.

Are skepticism and credulity both on a single dimension? Mill's "On Liberty" is a good guide for people posting on sites. There are other accessible materials too. Hopefully there are not too many people on this lifeboat.

Anyway, the question about What is "representation"? was so interesting that I "save as"ed it and sent it to philosopher and scientist types. Thanks.
Lobotomy

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#228  Postby Agrippina » Oct 22, 2012 5:00 pm

Welcome Lobotomy :wave:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#229  Postby Ironclad » Oct 22, 2012 6:10 pm

I followed the breadcrumbs.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#230  Postby iamthereforeithink » Oct 22, 2012 6:35 pm

Lobotomy wrote:I was searching for links to "Signs: An Introduction to Semiotics" (2nd ed.) by Thomas A. Sebeok (2001). I am a Christian and seriously entertain the fundamentalist and/or evangelical worldview(s). No hostility intended. No paraleipsis intended either. Was looking for more info about semiotics and structuralism. Maybe something good about semiotics which I can download onto a Kobo reader. If I were to suggest that theories in science are underdetermined by the facts (see 'underdeterminism' in the Stanford Encylopedia of Philosophy) and therefore that for any particular set of facts the theories (yes, plural) can be fairly diverse and that diversity of theories in science could be a good thing -- would I be trashed as a result of being a Christian and arguing this point? Why must there be no diversity arguments about scientific theory?

As for skepticism: how do I entertain the idea that I have been lobotomized? Well, I do not remember being lobotomized, but my memory could be faulty or I could have repressed traumatic events around the time of the event. Perhaps nothing exists and solipsism is wrong. Pyrrhonists (sorry if this is wrong spelling) aside, skepticism is a good thing.

Are skepticism and credulity both on a single dimension? Mill's "On Liberty" is a good guide for people posting on sites. There are other accessible materials too. Hopefully there are not too many people on this lifeboat.

Anyway, the question about What is "representation"? was so interesting that I "save as"ed it and sent it to philosopher and scientist types. Thanks.

Hello and Welcome :cheers: You might want to start a separate thread in the "Welcome" forum, introducing yourself. (That's what most people do). If you do so, you will get a special welcome package full of goodies, jokes etc. from Durro.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
iamthereforeithink

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#231  Postby CrazyLiz » Oct 27, 2012 7:32 pm

Invitation posted at Theorama.org to play Old Testament mafia.
CrazyLiz

Print view this post

#232  Postby CrazyLiz » Oct 28, 2012 12:04 am

OK, how do I upload an avatar to this site?
CrazyLiz

Print view this post

#233  Postby Corke » Oct 28, 2012 5:08 am

Click UCP right under Board Index, then click on the Profile tab, then Edit avatar.

Nice to see you, Liz. Game starts in an hour. Best of luck, you'll need it!
Corke

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#234  Postby Ambient » Nov 27, 2012 3:18 am

I new and relatively fresh to the site. And a fresh person ought to have a fresh beginning. Good to be here.
Ambient

Name: Brian V. Smith

Print view this post

#235  Postby Made of Stars » Nov 27, 2012 1:20 pm

Hi Ambient, nice to see you here. Please stop by the New Members forum and say hi there too. :cheers:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#236  Postby Kineton » Dec 02, 2012 9:50 pm

Hi,

I found this site through a Google search on the question: "What is God?".
(A strange place to look for an answer to that question!)
Kineton

Name: Michael Bird

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#237  Postby Corke » Dec 03, 2012 10:04 am

Lol! Do you know what God is?

God means different things to different people. A mystical force, a sentient, powerful being who demands worship, coincidence given a name. To me, God means nothing. Just an idea people came up with to explain the world around them. An idea that should be scrapped, as we have better explanations now.
Corke

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#238  Postby Factgasmic » Jan 16, 2013 8:33 am

Googled in search of a thorough debunking of AiG/Mike Riddle's attempts to bolster nonsensical "new earth" assertions with additional idiocy - and found hackenslash's 3/2/2010 rebuttal of the bull. I was sold. :cheers:
Factgasmic

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#239  Postby Corke » Jan 16, 2013 3:23 pm

hackenslash is funny.

Welcome, Factgasmic!
Corke

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#240  Postby Fenrir » Jan 28, 2013 11:27 am

AFA Forums appears to be in meltdown.

Ah well, back to the lifeboat.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome New Members