40 deaths in right wing terrorist attack

in New Zealand...

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: 40 deaths in right wing terrorist attack

#341  Postby Svartalf » Mar 28, 2019 12:34 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:People still use stamps?

paper mail is not quite dead yet, you know.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
User avatar
Svartalf
 
Posts: 2435
Age: 51
Male

Country: France
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: 40 deaths in right wing terrorist attack

#342  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Mar 28, 2019 12:57 pm

So I'm learning.
what a terrible image
User avatar
Rachel Bronwyn
 
Name: speaking moistly
Posts: 13443
Age: 32
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: 40 deaths in right wing terrorist attack

#343  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 28, 2019 1:04 pm

Oh no, I look all old, wrinkly and fossilised in the eyes of young Rachel :waah:
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: 40 deaths in right wing terrorist attack

#344  Postby Svartalf » Mar 28, 2019 1:07 pm

if you do, how must she be looking at old me, worse then a fossil, a mere rock.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
User avatar
Svartalf
 
Posts: 2435
Age: 51
Male

Country: France
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: 40 deaths in right wing terrorist attack

#345  Postby Willie71 » Mar 28, 2019 1:13 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Rachel Bronwyn wrote:People still use stamps?

paper mail is not quite dead yet, you know.


I haven quite figured out how to email or text packages. Or sent electronic communications to people who don’t use electronic communications. :what:
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
User avatar
Willie71
 
Name: Warren Krywko
Posts: 3247
Age: 49
Male

Country: Canada
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: 40 deaths in right wing terrorist attack

#346  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 28, 2019 1:18 pm

Svartalf wrote:if you do, how must she be looking at old me, worse then a fossil, a mere rock.


You have excellent teeth for your age. Bet you still crunch up wildebeest femur no probs.

You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: 40 deaths in right wing terrorist attack

#347  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Mar 28, 2019 1:21 pm

Svartalf wrote:if you do, how must she be looking at old me, worse then a fossil, a mere rock.


I've identified as old since I was 23. It's all good.
Last edited by Rachel Bronwyn on Mar 28, 2019 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
what a terrible image
User avatar
Rachel Bronwyn
 
Name: speaking moistly
Posts: 13443
Age: 32
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: 40 deaths in right wing terrorist attack

#348  Postby proudfootz » Mar 28, 2019 1:31 pm

Ironclad wrote:
OlivierK wrote:
proudfootz wrote:Sadly, a lot of the 'New Atheism' that was in vogue a few years ago has devolved into Gamergate, anti-feminism, and white supremacism. It turns out there's a lot of money in pandering to the right wing fringe.

Ironclad wrote:What makes you say that?

Observation?
Yesterday's New Atheists are now today's new racists? That's something. You seeing it too? Where is the most obvious example?


Well, I wouldn't say that they are 'new racists' - just the same old racism.

For example, Sam Harris apparently welcoming The Bell Curve pseudo-science explaining why 'teh blacks' are not smart.

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2017/5 ... ree-speech

I guess I was taken in by all the hoopla about how skepticism was going to eradicate irrationalism.

My bad.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
User avatar
proudfootz
 
Posts: 10968

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: 40 deaths in right wing terrorist attack

#349  Postby felltoearth » Mar 28, 2019 2:27 pm

tuco wrote:But I suspect you like both. Idle exchanges and punishing someone. Neither one is cool, less so story and certainly not bro.

Idle exchanges, sure, kinda depends if the person is a dick or not. Punishing someone – not so much, though egregious trolling should be dealt with. Despite what some people think, there is a lot of stuff here that is given a lot of leeway.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 13806
Age: 53

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: 40 deaths in right wing terrorist attack

#350  Postby willhud9 » Mar 28, 2019 2:48 pm

I used to be a staunch Christian. Then I lost faith and became an atheist. Then for a brief moment I became an anti-theist, until I realized how much of a dick I was being just to make fun of someone’s religious beliefs. So I stopped. Now I am an atheist who tries to empathize with those with religious convictions. At times I’ll go along and pray with someone. Other times I’ll go to church to spend time with a community I love and support. I don’t believe in the spiritual aspect, but the communal aspect is nice.

I find many religious people to be no different than me in terms of intelligence, compassion, and even logic. So why should I believe the anti-religious claptrap new atheists like Sam Harris peddle?

Fun fact I know many religious people who want a secular society. It’s possible.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
User avatar
willhud9
 
Name: William
Posts: 19343
Age: 29
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: 40 deaths in right wing terrorist attack

#351  Postby Hermit » Mar 28, 2019 2:55 pm

proudfootz wrote:For example, Sam Harris apparently welcoming The Bell Curve pseudo-science explaining why 'teh blacks' are not smart.

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2017/5 ... ree-speech

I guess I was taken in by all the hoopla about how skepticism was going to eradicate irrationalism.

My bad.

Ergh. Yech. Just when I thought that my distaste of Sam Harris might be a tad over the top.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera


God created the universe
God just exists
User avatar
Hermit
 
Posts: 4091
Age: 67
Male

Print view this post

Re: 40 deaths in right wing terrorist attack

#352  Postby Fallible » Mar 28, 2019 2:55 pm

tuco wrote:Pro-tip

If you would not engage in idle exchanges, you would not have to report anyone.


That’s a very silly comment.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 47
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: 40 deaths in right wing terrorist attack

#353  Postby tuco » Mar 28, 2019 3:00 pm

I am not going to repeat myself on the topic of the culture here. Its the same people over and over again, doing the same over and over again, with the same result over and over again.
tuco
 
Posts: 15516

Print view this post

Re: 40 deaths in right wing terrorist attack

#354  Postby Fallible » Mar 28, 2019 3:01 pm

Like you, for example.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 47
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: 40 deaths in right wing terrorist attack

#355  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 28, 2019 3:02 pm

willhud9 wrote:I used to be a staunch Christian. Then I lost faith and became an atheist. Then for a brief moment I became an anti-theist, until I realized how much of a dick I was being just to make fun of someone’s religious beliefs. So I stopped. Now I am an atheist who tries to empathize with those with religious convictions. At times I’ll go along and pray with someone. Other times I’ll go to church to spend time with a community I love and support. I don’t believe in the spiritual aspect, but the communal aspect is nice.

I find many religious people to be no different than me in terms of intelligence, compassion, and even logic. So why should I believe the anti-religious claptrap new atheists like Sam Harris peddle?

Fun fact I know many religious people who want a secular society. It’s possible.


Have you read the Brunei wikipedia page recently Will?
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 39

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: 40 deaths in right wing terrorist attack

#356  Postby tuco » Mar 28, 2019 3:07 pm

Fallible wrote:Like you, for example.


Yes, however, I dont create imaginary problems, dont want to punish anyone and dont waste time and energy of the mods with my petty feelings.

He called me that, she called me this .. mom! lol
tuco
 
Posts: 15516

Print view this post

Re: 40 deaths in right wing terrorist attack

#357  Postby felltoearth » Mar 28, 2019 3:32 pm

tuco wrote:
Fallible wrote:Like you, for example.


Yes, however, I dont create imaginary problems, dont want to punish anyone and dont waste time and energy of the mods with my petty feelings.

He called me that, she called me this .. mom! lol

The issue at hand isn’t about name calling. I reported it because it was intentionally derailing the discussion at hand. And ask yourself, who in this conversation is creating imaginary problems.
Last edited by felltoearth on Mar 28, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 13806
Age: 53

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: 40 deaths in right wing terrorist attack

#358  Postby felltoearth » Mar 28, 2019 3:32 pm

DP
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 13806
Age: 53

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: 40 deaths in right wing terrorist attack

#359  Postby quas » Mar 28, 2019 4:10 pm

willhud9 wrote:I used to be a staunch Christian. Then I lost faith and became an atheist. Then for a brief moment I became an anti-theist, until I realized how much of a dick I was being just to make fun of someone’s religious beliefs. So I stopped. Now I am an atheist who tries to empathize with those with religious convictions. At times I’ll go along and pray with someone. Other times I’ll go to church to spend time with a community I love and support. I don’t believe in the spiritual aspect, but the communal aspect is nice.

I find many religious people to be no different than me in terms of intelligence, compassion, and even logic. So why should I believe the anti-religious claptrap new atheists like Sam Harris peddle?

Fun fact I know many religious people who want a secular society. It’s possible.


Have you actually read Sam Harris?
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
User avatar
quas
 
Posts: 2786

Print view this post

Re: 40 deaths in right wing terrorist attack

#360  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 28, 2019 4:22 pm

I thought the end of faith was excellent, I have to say. This business with race/IQ is clearly a massive blunder of his which will do his rep no end of harm and is a real shame. The socio-economic reasons alone African Americans might have slightly lower IQs on average dispel the need for a causative genetic explanation by my mind, and the only reason I can think of why Harris might say there is such causation is to attempt to appear "fearlessly truthful" in a "I don't give a flying fuck about being PC" kinda way. Folly.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 39

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest

cron