Another Police Shooting Of An Unarmed Black Man.

Cop plants gun caught on video

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Another Police Shooting Of An Unarmed Black Man.

#21  Postby Byron » Apr 09, 2015 5:09 am

chairman bill wrote:A racist, all-white jury will find him 'innocent', or accept a plea of manslaughter & a penalty of community service.

South Carolina's known for its "racist, all-white juries," is it? Today, not 50 years back.

As for whether posters would be lining up to justify the shooting without the video, it's doubtful: the facts of the case are very different to other incidents. In several of the other threads, I specifically highlighted the obsolete fleeing felon rule as an example of when deadly force isn't justified. As for the taser, there'd of course be questions raised about where it came from; ditto the distance and direction of the officer's bullets.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#22  Postby Teague » Apr 09, 2015 9:53 am

Well I'm sure we'll see another unarmed man or woman killedmurdered by police before the week is out. Maybe we should have a little wager on the method they'll use on the next one and what excuse they'll use to justify it.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Nicko » Apr 09, 2015 10:45 am

Teague wrote:Well I'm sure we'll see another unarmed man or woman killedmurdered by police before the week is out. Maybe we should have a little wager on the method they'll use on the next one and what excuse they'll use to justify it.

Perhaps an updated version of Cluedo would help?

:think:

"It was officer Himmler ... with the baton ... at the traffic stop ... because the guy was wearing checks and stripes!"
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Blood » Apr 09, 2015 1:08 pm

Just a few random thoughts about this.

It appears the video has been edited. There is some kind of verbal or physical confrontation that has just happened when the black man starts running away. We don't see the confrontation.

I can't believe the suspect is 50-years-old. Surely a black man of any age in South Carolina of all places knows that running away from a cop gives the cop a license to kill you and blame you for your death? Was the dude crazy?

What ever happened to the "halt! or I'll shoot!" warning that cops used to be required by law to shout before they used deadly force? I guess the NRA or somebody did away with that pesky law.

Why did it take eight shots to shoot a man at close range? The six bullets that didn't go into the suspect's body could have killed bystanders.

Why the hell was the suspect handcuffed after he was shot and down?

Just another day in America. If you're black, you become a suspect the day you're born.
"One absurdity having been granted, the rest follows. Nothing difficult about that."
- Aristotle, Physics I, 185a
Blood

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Teague » Apr 09, 2015 1:25 pm

Does the confrontation matter? The pertinent parts are he was shot in the back and was unarmed and then the cop planted the gun next to him.

Why does it matter why it took 8 shots? I'm sure the victim would have preferred his killer to be less capable with a firearm - he might still be alive today.

Judging by the injustice system in the US, I can't think of a single reason why a black man would want to run away from the police!
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Apr 09, 2015 1:37 pm

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

if you value your life, don't persue liberty by running from a cop coz he might be triggerhappy
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Willie71 » Apr 09, 2015 1:40 pm

Teague wrote:Well I'm sure we'll see another unarmed man or woman killedmurdered by police before the week is out. Maybe we should have a little wager on the method they'll use on the next one and what excuse they'll use to justify it.

On another forum I frequent, stats were posted showing 111 people were killed by cops in March 2015.

I'll bet they will say "I feared for my life! He went for my gun!" In the next one that makes the news.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#28  Postby Teague » Apr 09, 2015 1:55 pm

Willie71 wrote:

On another forum I frequent, stats were posted showing 111 people were killed by cops in March 2015.

I'll bet they will say "I feared for my life! He went for my gun!" In the next one that makes the news.

111 unarmed?
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Teague » Apr 09, 2015 3:21 pm

Update

Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Teague » Apr 09, 2015 3:26 pm

Oh....

"there was a struggle over the gun apparently..."

Where did we hear that excuse before?
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Teague » Apr 09, 2015 3:31 pm

Cops Planting Evidence Standard Operating Procedure?

Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#32  Postby HughMcB » Apr 09, 2015 3:35 pm

At this rate we need an "Unarmed Black Man Killed by Police" super thread to deal with all these cases.
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Warren Dew » Apr 09, 2015 5:37 pm

Blood wrote:Just a few random thoughts about this.

It appears the video has been edited. There is some kind of verbal or physical confrontation that has just happened when the black man starts running away. We don't see the confrontation.

I can't believe the suspect is 50-years-old. Surely a black man of any age in South Carolina of all places knows that running away from a cop gives the cop a license to kill you and blame you for your death? Was the dude crazy?

What ever happened to the "halt! or I'll shoot!" warning that cops used to be required by law to shout before they used deadly force? I guess the NRA or somebody did away with that pesky law.

Actually, the Supreme Court determined that police are no longer permitted to shoot if they aren't trying to prevent imminent danger to the public. Even if he yelled something, he shouldn't be shooting.

Why did it take eight shots to shoot a man at close range? The six bullets that didn't go into the suspect's body could have killed bystanders.

Why the hell was the suspect handcuffed after he was shot and down?

Just another day in America. If you're black, you become a suspect the day you're born.

Actually, more whites get killed by police than blacks. It's just that when a white person gets killed by police, it doesn't make the national news. The problem is not race specific; it's a general issue with police getting away with murder.
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#34  Postby Warren Dew » Apr 09, 2015 5:39 pm

Byron wrote:As for whether posters would be lining up to justify the shooting without the video, it's doubtful: the facts of the case are very different to other incidents. In several of the other threads, I specifically highlighted the obsolete fleeing felon rule as an example of when deadly force isn't justified. As for the taser, there'd of course be questions raised about where it came from; ditto the distance and direction of the officer's bullets.

Indeed, there was video evidence in two of the other three recently discussed cases as well. The issue is that the facts are different in each case. In this case, the policeman was pretty clearly in the wrong.
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#35  Postby smudge » Apr 09, 2015 5:49 pm

Teague wrote:Does the confrontation matter?

Only if the law says "put on a police uniform and shoot anyone that messes with you".
I'm not a lawyer or anything, but.....
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#36  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Apr 09, 2015 6:18 pm

smudge wrote:

Only if the law says "put on a police uniform and shoot anyone that messes with you".

It's not the law that sais this, just past experience.
Hopefully they hit this idiot cop so hard with the book that experience tells others to change their attitude.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#37  Postby The_Metatron » Apr 09, 2015 8:34 pm

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:How about they are required to be insured, then even if the department lets them get away with it they will lose their insurance and not be able to work.

Or, how about police stop murdering citizens, and face the consequences if they do?

They're already required not to murder people. If they can do that with impunity, do you think they are going to worry much about having an insurance card?
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Apr 09, 2015 8:46 pm

HughMcB wrote:At this rate we need an "Unarmed Black Man Killed by Police" super thread to deal with all these cases.

There was a recent story of a black cop shooting an unarmed white guy, but that doesn't fit the narrative many of our America-bashers want. They want the racism angle.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

Name: Jerome

United States (us)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Apr 09, 2015 8:50 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
Jerome Da Gnome wrote:How about they are required to be insured, then even if the department lets them get away with it they will lose their insurance and not be able to work.

Or, how about police stop murdering citizens, and face the consequences if they do?

They're already required not to murder people. If they can do that with impunity, do you think they are going to worry much about having an insurance card?

Agreed, but the self-investigating system is not working. Requiring them to be insured places an outside interest in the action. Insurance companies didn't like to pay out, and they will not insure bad risks, therefore bad cops will be removed even if the system protects them.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

United States (us)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Apr 09, 2015 8:52 pm

smudge wrote:

heh
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs