Another Police Shooting Of An Unarmed Black Man.

Cop plants gun caught on video

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Another Police Shooting Of An Unarmed Black Man.

#41  Postby ED209 » Apr 09, 2015 8:55 pm

Warren Dew wrote:...
Actually, more whites get killed by police than blacks. It's just that when a white person gets killed by police, it doesn't make the national news. The problem is not race specific; it's a general issue with police getting away with murder.

Do you really need to have the error in thinking that you make here spelled out? Really?
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#42  Postby Willie71 » Apr 09, 2015 10:22 pm

Teague wrote:
Willie71 wrote:
Teague wrote:Well I'm sure we'll see another unarmed man or woman killedmurdered by police before the week is out. Maybe we should have a little wager on the method they'll use on the next one and what excuse they'll use to justify it.

On another forum I frequent, stats were posted showing 111 people were killed by cops in March 2015.

I'll bet they will say "I feared for my life! He went for my gun!" In the next one that makes the news.

111 unarmed?

It didn't specify armed or not. In comparison, police in the UK have killed 69 people since 1990.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#43  Postby chango369 » Apr 09, 2015 10:48 pm

Willie71 wrote:
Teague wrote:
Willie71 wrote:
Teague wrote:Well I'm sure we'll see another unarmed man or woman killedmurdered by police before the week is out. Maybe we should have a little wager on the method they'll use on the next one and what excuse they'll use to justify it.

On another forum I frequent, stats were posted showing 111 people were killed by cops in March 2015.

I'll bet they will say "I feared for my life! He went for my gun!" In the next one that makes the news.

111 unarmed?

It didn't specify armed or not. In comparison, police in the UK have killed 69 people since 1990.

According to what I read, the comparison is even worse than that. Dailykos ran with this:

American police killed more people in March (111) than the entire UK police have killed (52) since 1900

Bold mine.

I pulled up Calc just for kicks and came up with an average of one person killed by UK police every 29 months.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#44  Postby The_Metatron » Apr 09, 2015 10:51 pm

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:
Jerome Da Gnome wrote:How about they are required to be insured, then even if the department lets them get away with it they will lose their insurance and not be able to work.

Or, how about police stop murdering citizens, and face the consequences if they do?

They're already required not to murder people. If they can do that with impunity, do you think they are going to worry much about having an insurance card?

Agreed, but the self-investigating system is not working. Requiring them to be insured places an outside interest in the action. Insurance companies didn't like to pay out, and they will not insure bad risks, therefore bad cops will be removed even if the system protects them.

Why will they be weeded out?

An agency that is prepared to employ murderers isn't going to worry too much about insurance cards.

Why do you think some new requirement is going to solve this problem? They are already required not to murder people.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Blood » Apr 09, 2015 11:03 pm

Teague wrote:Does the confrontation matter? The pertinent parts are he was shot in the back and was unarmed and then the cop planted the gun next to him.

Yeah, the confrontation matters. ANY confrontation with a cop in the USA these days gives them a license to kill you and claim self-defense. You've gotta be incredibly stupid or insane to think otherwise. It's fucked up, but that's the way it is.

Now that the cop car's dash cam has come out, we know more of the context.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/walter ... el-n338786

Running away from a car after being pulled over is an incredibly stupid thing to do. You are begging the cop to shoot at you. I wish it wasn't that way, but it is.

I'm not excusing the use of deadly force or the "justice system" of course, I'm just saying that the victim should have just stayed in the goddamn car.
"One absurdity having been granted, the rest follows. Nothing difficult about that."
- Aristotle, Physics I, 185a
Blood

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Blood » Apr 09, 2015 11:08 pm

One thing is for sure, I can guarantee that Stefan Molyneaux will come out with a video defending the cop, as he does in every instance like this. Libertarians just cannot stand the police state, unless said police state is killing a black man. Then they love the police state!
"One absurdity having been granted, the rest follows. Nothing difficult about that."
- Aristotle, Physics I, 185a
Blood

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Willie71 » Apr 09, 2015 11:17 pm

Blood wrote:
Teague wrote:Does the confrontation matter? The pertinent parts are he was shot in the back and was unarmed and then the cop planted the gun next to him.

Yeah, the confrontation matters. ANY confrontation with a cop in the USA these days gives them a license to kill you and claim self-defense. You've gotta be incredibly stupid or insane to think otherwise. It's fucked up, but that's the way it is.

Now that the cop car's dash cam has come out, we know more of the context.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/walter ... el-n338786

Running away from a car after being pulled over is an incredibly stupid thing to do. You are begging the cop to shoot at you. I wish it wasn't that way, but it is.

I'm not excusing the use of deadly force or the "justice system" of course, I'm just saying that the victim should have just stayed in the goddamn car.

...if you are not used to the brutality, it would make sense to comply. However, if you and your friends/family have been abused for as long as you can remember, with people being beaten and jailed for no reason other than being black, running and taking your chances seems worth the risk. They're damned if they do, and damned if they don't.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#48  Postby orpheus » Apr 09, 2015 11:36 pm

:this:

If he had stayed with the car, the cop could easily have shot him on another pretext. For example "he moved his hand and I felt threatened". (After demanding to see the guy's drivers license, of course.) "He looked at me threateningly." Etc. Then we'd be criticizing the guy for reaching for his license, looking at the cop, whatever. There is no way the guy could win. Anything he did or did do or not do would be considered self-evidently stupid, after the fact.
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#49  Postby CarlPierce » Apr 10, 2015 2:02 am

Open and shut case - running in a public place while black. The officer clearly had no choice. Plus I bet he was on a second warning with the headlight and they could add a litter charge after he fell to the ground.
Last edited by CarlPierce on Apr 10, 2015 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Apr 10, 2015 2:13 am

Framing every problem in race hides the real problem and promotes racism.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

Name: Jerome

United States (us)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Willie71 » Apr 10, 2015 2:17 am

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:Framing every problem in race hides the real problem and promotes racism.

Ignoring systemic racism, and full on racism promotes racism.
Willie71

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#52  Postby CarlPierce » Apr 10, 2015 2:18 am

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:Framing every problem in race hides the real problem and promotes racism.

im sure the officer didnt notice his colour. Eye roll.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#53  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Apr 10, 2015 2:20 am

Tell us all about systemic racism from the perspective of a vast majority one race population.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

United States (us)
Print view this post

#54  Postby ED209 » Apr 10, 2015 6:55 am

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:Tell us all about systemic racism from the perspective of a vast majority one race population.

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:All of Europe is racist, and lol @ when they try to call the USA racist.

At least try to maintain some internal consistency in the bullshit you post, will you :lol:
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#55  Postby babel » Apr 10, 2015 7:44 am

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:
HughMcB wrote:At this rate we need an "Unarmed Black Man Killed by Police" super thread to deal with all these cases.

There was a recent story of a black cop shooting an unarmed white guy, but that doesn't fit the narrative many of our America-bashers want. They want the racism angle.

Yeah, we'd all be cheering if the roles were reversed.
The race angle is the crux of the story, not the police-thugs hybrids that seem to be in abundance. :picard:
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#56  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Apr 10, 2015 11:49 am

Looks like the guy knew he was going to jail, either a stolen car or warrants, that is why he ran. Not that he should have been shot, the cop had his license and a witness in the car you would presume could identify the driver if the license was fraudulent.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

United States (us)
Print view this post

#57  Postby Teague » Apr 10, 2015 11:52 am

Warren Dew wrote:
Actually, more whites get killed by police than blacks. It's just that when a white person gets killed by police, it doesn't make the national news. The problem is not race specific; it's a general issue with police getting away with murder.

Really?

Even when you account for the fact that blacks make up 13% of the population in the US?
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Apr 10, 2015 11:53 am

babel wrote:
The race angle is the crux of the story,

It is false though, just like with the stand your ground stuff in Florida. It being falsely claimed white people were using the law to get away with shooting black people, the fact was more black people used the law to successfully defend themselves than did whites.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

United States (us)
Print view this post

#59  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Apr 10, 2015 11:54 am

Police shoot more men than women, where is the outrage at the institutional sexism?
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

United States (us)
Print view this post

#60  Postby Teague » Apr 10, 2015 12:00 pm

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:Police shoot more men than women, where is the outrage at the institutional sexism?

Once again do you have the percentage of violent offenders that are male and female? I'm guessing that is probably why we're not bothered about it.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs