Apple continues to abuse Chinese labourforce

Hidden camera footage from BBC reporters

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Apple continues to abuse Chinese labourforce

#41  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 23, 2014 7:05 am

Wuffy wrote:I'm glad other posters picked up the slack while I wasn't looking. EVERYTIME this story comes up people focus on apple ignoring all the other major business' using Foxconn as they production centers in China.

People are happy to jump on Apples back about their products because they want to bash apple and ti's followers but hey let's ignore that just about every other major manufacturer goes through.

Apple has made pledges and tired to make things better but all they can do is put pressure on a manufacturer who pretty much won't care because well are they really going to stop doing business with them? And even if they do. They still have every other company till Apple comes back to them.

But let's blame apple and ignore the company running those factories and many others called Foxconn...

Whose customers are:
Acer Inc. (Taiwan)
Amazon.com (United States)
Apple Inc. (United States)
BlackBerry Ltd. (Canada)
Cisco (United States)
Dell (United States)
Google (United States)
Hewlett-Packard (United States)
Microsoft (United States)
Motorola Mobility (United States)
Nintendo (Japan)
Nokia (Finland)
Sony (Japan)
Toshiba (Japan)
Vizio (United States)

Where is your evidence that the work places of these companies sub contractors areas bad as Apple's.
Just giving a list of names is just an assertion.

With Apple the evidence is clear.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#42  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 23, 2014 8:20 am

Wuffy wrote:
People are happy to jump on Apples back about their products because they want to bash apple and ti's followers but hey let's ignore that just about every other major manufacturer goes through.

You make it sound like a cult. :eh:

Wuffy wrote:Apple has made pledges and tired to make things better but all they can do is put pressure on a manufacturer who pretty much won't care because well are they really going to stop doing business with them? And even if they do. They still have every other company till Apple comes back to them.

It demonstrates, just like the other companies you mentioned, that Apple values money over ethics.
And again, I just provided this BBC article, I have no personal beef with Apple. If the article had been about Microsoft, Samsung or whoever I would have posted it as well.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 23, 2014 8:23 am

I agree Thomas. It is not a question of being anti-Apple. It is a question when a company blows its trumpet like Apple does and then found wonting.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Teague » Dec 23, 2014 10:45 am

Wuffy wrote:I'm glad other posters picked up the slack while I wasn't looking. EVERYTIME this story comes up people focus on apple ignoring all the other major business' using Foxconn as they production centers in China.

Apple has made pledges and tired to make things better but all they can do is put pressure on a manufacturer who pretty much won't care because well are they really going to stop doing business with them? And even if they do. They still have every other company till Apple comes back to them.

But let's blame apple and ignore the company running those factories and many others called Foxconn...

Whose customers are:
Acer Inc. (Taiwan)
Amazon.com (United States)
Apple Inc. (United States)
BlackBerry Ltd. (Canada)
Cisco (United States)
Dell (United States)
Google (United States)
Hewlett-Packard (United States)
Microsoft (United States)
Motorola Mobility (United States)
Nintendo (Japan)
Nokia (Finland)
Sony (Japan)
Toshiba (Japan)
Vizio (United States)

So move their factories back to the US and Europe and pay people a decent wage in countries where working conditions are a lot better.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Mazille » Dec 23, 2014 11:02 am

And here I was thinking that "But... but the others are doing it too!" stopped being a valid excuse after the first time your mother asked you if you'd jump off the proverbial bridge as well. I don't know... at age 5 or so.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Briton » Dec 23, 2014 11:25 am

Wuffy wrote: apple and ti's followers...

'Followers'?
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#47  Postby campermon » Dec 23, 2014 11:50 am

Teague wrote:
So move their factories back to the US and Europe and pay people a decent wage in countries where working conditions are a lot better.

Yes.

unfortunately, the only reason us masses can afford our toys is that there are massive workforces available around the planet who are made to work for a pittance.
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#48  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 23, 2014 11:52 am

campermon wrote:
Teague wrote:

Yes.

unfortunately, the only reason us masses can afford our toys is that there are massive workforces available around the planet who are made to work for a pittance.

Or companies want to exploit the system for maximal profits.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#49  Postby campermon » Dec 23, 2014 11:54 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
campermon wrote:
Teague wrote:

Yes.

Or companies want to exploit the system for maximal profits.

Aye, that could be the case too.

Anybody got any idea of the markup on smart devices?
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#50  Postby campermon » Dec 23, 2014 11:56 am

campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 23, 2014 11:59 am

Yep and yet Apple users just dont see it. They are just average products at massively marked up prices.

I am quite sure that a factory could be built in a first world country and give a good return.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#52  Postby ED209 » Dec 23, 2014 12:02 pm

Briton wrote:
Wuffy wrote: apple and ti's followers...

'Followers'?

I think they prefer to be known as 'devotees' :dunno:

The problem with apple is that they uniquely charge a massive premium and market themselves as the sort of company that does not exploit bonded labour to increase its profit margin.

Reminds me of the Flight of the Conchords:

...They're turning kids into slaves just to make cheaper sneakers.
But what's the real cost?
'Cause the sneakers don't seem that much cheaper.
Why are we still paying so much for sneakers
When you got them made by little slave kids
What are your overheads?...
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#53  Postby Briton » Dec 23, 2014 12:03 pm

campermon wrote:
Teague wrote:

Yes.

I don't think that's true. They'd be more expensive but I don't think you'd need to increase the price that much to give the workers a living wage. Of course Apple would have difficulty as their 'followers' would surely baulk at an over priced product. :roll:
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#54  Postby campermon » Dec 23, 2014 12:06 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:

Yep and yet Apple users just dont see it. They are just average products at massively marked up prices.

I am quite sure that a factory could be built in a first world country and give a good return.

Yup - I found another report that quoted a 42% profit is made on ipads.That's quite a healthy profit margin; I'm sure they could drop it a little in order to pay decent wages. That would be a genius selling point.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#55  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 23, 2014 12:10 pm

campermon wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

Yup - I found another report that quoted a 42% profit is made on ipads.That's quite a healthy profit margin; I'm sure they could drop it a little in order to pay decent wages. That would be a genius selling point.

I think it would be a very good selling line: Made in the USA. At least it would help at least one community plus encouraging other manufacturers to think about their working practices.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#56  Postby Teague » Dec 23, 2014 1:41 pm

campermon wrote:
Teague wrote:

Yes.

Sorry but I'm not buying that bullshit anymore. When you have hundreds of billions in your bank account you're overcharging like a prick.

Yup - I found another report that quoted a 42% profit is made on ipads.

Oh look :roll:
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#57  Postby campermon » Dec 23, 2014 2:32 pm

Teague wrote:
campermon wrote:
Teague wrote:

Yes.

Sorry but I'm not buying that bullshit anymore. When you have hundreds of billions in your bank account you're overcharging like a prick.

Yes - they are surely over charging.

But, in general; The good life we lead in the west currently depends upon the exploitation of the poor elsewhere in the world.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 23, 2014 2:57 pm

I think it is time to break the circle. There is a Primart store just opened in town. Just disgusting how cheap it is and we all know why.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#59  Postby felltoearth » Dec 23, 2014 3:12 pm

So, who's product do I buy? How do we change this?
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#60  Postby Teague » Dec 23, 2014 4:17 pm

campermon wrote:
Teague wrote:
campermon wrote:
Teague wrote:

Yes.

Yes - they are surely over charging.

But, in general; The good life we lead in the west currently depends upon the exploitation of the poor elsewhere in the world.

I'm not buying this either, can't you see through it. Yes, we have exploited the poor but that wouldn't have stopped us. Apple can make a profit by producing everything in the States employing Americans to work for them it's just that they won't make as much profit.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs