Ayann Hirsi Ali denied honorary degree

Brandeis University caves in to pressure

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Ayann Hirsi Ali denied honorary degree

#21  Postby orpheus » Apr 09, 2014 9:49 pm

:nod:

:grin:
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#22  Postby orpheus » Apr 09, 2014 9:52 pm

chairman bill wrote:Here's proof of how evil she is - uncovered! No veiling! Disgusting. Stone the Jezebel!

I know my view of her looks is skewed by my admiration for her character, but I have to say I think she is one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen.

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23  Postby orpheus » Apr 09, 2014 9:56 pm

It occurs to me that Brandeis has a very fine music department, and some of my old friends are professors there. I'll see if I can get any inside info about this. Probably not, as they're probably far away from the decision-making (and if they do have something to say, they'll probably be rightly cautious about saying it), but it's worth a try.

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby quisquose » Apr 09, 2014 9:57 pm

orpheus wrote:I know my view of her looks is skewed by my admiration for her character, but I have to say I think she is one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen.

I don't think it's been skewed, I think she's one of the most beautiful women precisely because of her character.
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#25  Postby Shrunk » Apr 10, 2014 1:15 am

Ayann Hirsi Ali's response:

Yesterday Brandeis University decided to withdraw an honorary degree they were to confer upon me next month during their Commencement exercises. I wish to dissociate myself from the university’s statement, which implies that I was in any way consulted about this decision. On the contrary, I was completely shocked when President Frederick Lawrence called me—just a few hours before issuing a public statement—to say that such a decision had been made....

I was not surprised when my usual critics, notably the Council of American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), protested against my being honored in this way. What did surprise me was the behavior of Brandeis. Having spent many months planning for me to speak to its students at Commencement, the university yesterday announced that it could not “overlook certain of my past statements,” which it had not previously been aware of. Yet my critics have long specialized in selective quotation – lines from interviews taken out of context – designed to misrepresent me and my work. It is scarcely credible that Brandeis did not know this when they initially offered me the degree.

What was initially intended as an honor has now devolved into a moment of shaming. Yet the slur on my reputation is not the worst aspect of this episode. More deplorable is that an institution set up on the basis of religious freedom should today so deeply betray its own founding principles. The “spirit of free expression” referred to in the Brandeis statement has been stifled here, as my critics have achieved their objective of preventing me from addressing the graduating Class of 2014. Neither Brandeis nor my critics knew or even inquired as to what I might say. They simply wanted me to be silenced. I regret that very much.

Not content with a public disavowal, Brandeis has invited me “to join us on campus in the future to engage in a dialogue about these important issues.” Sadly, in words and deeds, the university has already spoken its piece. I have no wish to “engage” in such one-sided dialogue. I can only wish the Class of 2014 the best of luck—and hope that they will go forth to be better advocates for free expression and free thought than their alma mater.

More at the link.

Jerry Coyne has contact info for Brandeis' president:

http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com ... -brandeis/
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Onyx8 » Apr 10, 2014 1:31 am

The woman has class. More than can be said about Brandeis.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#27  Postby orpheus » Apr 10, 2014 1:43 am

Onyx8 wrote:The woman has class. More than can be said about Brandeis.

:this:

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#28  Postby quisquose » Apr 10, 2014 3:30 am

Council of American Islamic Relations?

I think the term "Islamic Relations" needs to find a place in the dictionary under oxymoron.
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#29  Postby quisquose » Apr 11, 2014 8:04 pm

David Silverman's open letter to Fred Lawrence, Brandeis University President:

David Silverman April 10, 2014 wrote:

Dear Mr. Lawrence,

I remember well my years attending Brandeis University. I remember the classes, the teachers, the students, and even the food. But perhaps most of all, I remember the activism.

I remember the student tables in Usdan pushing a diverse set of agendas. I remember the Republicans and Democrats; I remember Triskelion promoting awareness of LGBT issues. I remember a speech by Meir Kahane, who actively preached the murder of Muslims in Israel, proclaiming “violence is not the road to peace, but it is the road to survival.” I remember a student-made and staffed shanty-town protesting Brandeis’ investment in South Africa during Apartheid, and the pride I felt when Brandeis wisely divested.

Today, that pride is gone as Brandeis has caved to religious intolerance masquerading as political correctness and uninvited a valuable voice in the discussion of religion in public life, Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

More here
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#30  Postby orpheus » Apr 11, 2014 9:42 pm

She has this in the Wall Street Journal: "Here's What I Would Have Said at Brandeis"

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... DS%3DHirsi

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Onyx8 » Apr 11, 2014 10:07 pm

Thanks for that Orpheus. This caught my eye:
Ayaan Hirsi Ali wrote: "When there is injustice, we need to speak out, not simply with condemnation, but with concrete actions.

One of the best places to do that is in our institutions of higher learning. We need to make our universities temples not of dogmatic orthodoxy, but of truly critical thinking, where all ideas are welcome and where civil debate is encouraged. I'm used to being shouted down on campuses, so I am grateful for the opportunity to address you today. I do not expect all of you to agree with me, but I very much appreciate your willingness to listen."

Sad, sad, irony.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#32  Postby orpheus » Apr 13, 2014 5:01 am

Found a very fine article in the L.A. Times. I must quote this one bit (bold mine):

In an online petition, Brandeis senior Sarah Fahmy wrote that Hirsi Ali’s invitation to speak at the school and receive an honorary social justice degree was a “shock to the community due to her extreme Islamophobic beliefs.”

Fahmy said that Hirsi Ali’s selection represented a “blatant and callous disregard” not just of Muslim students “but any student who has experienced pure hate speech” and represented a “direct violation” of the school’s moral code, as well as “the rights” of Brandeis students.

http://www.latimes.com/local/abcarian/l ... z2yjpJR4SL

So Ayaan Hirsi Ali disregards students who have experienced hate speech. Hate speech. Poor dears. Of course Ali herself has never had to suffer anything as bad as hate speech, oh no. :picard:

You know, Brandeis is a fairly high-powered university. It takes some brains to succeed as a student there. I can't believe this Fahmy managed to make it to her senior year and still wrote something like that. Talk about blind spots!

I think this should go directly to the RatSkep Department of Irony.

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Arjan Dirkse » Apr 13, 2014 1:15 pm

Eh, I agree. Hirsi Ali's breadth of scholarship wisdom exists solely of repeating "Islam is bad, mkay" wherever she goes. I am not saying she isn't brave, but Hirsi Ali is not worthy of getting a honorary degree from any university.

She is also horribly right wing. She belongs in the Wilders/UKIP/Vlaams Belang camp, the paranoid idiots who think Europe is quickly turning into " Eurabia". And she's married to Niall Ferguson. She is against immigration from Islamic countries, conveniently forgetting that she herself was allowed to immigrate into the Netherlands from an islamic country.
Arjan Dirkse

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Shrunk » Apr 13, 2014 4:06 pm

Arjan Dirkse wrote:Eh, I agree. Hirsi Ali's breadth of scholarship wisdom exists solely of repeating "Islam is bad, mkay" wherever she goes. I am not saying she isn't brave, but Hirsi Ali is not worthy of getting a honorary degree from any university.

An honorary degree is not meant to recognize scholarly activity. If you look at the four remaining people that Brandeis is honouring this year, only one of them is an academic.

She is also horribly right wing. She belongs in the Wilders/UKIP/Vlaams Belang camp, the paranoid idiots who think Europe is quickly turning into " Eurabia". And she's married to Niall Ferguson. She is against immigration from Islamic countries, conveniently forgetting that she herself was allowed to immigrate into the Netherlands from an islamic country.

TBH, I share some of your misgivings about her. But that is besides the point on this particular issue, IMHO.

Some commentators are drawing comparisons to Tony Kushner, who received an honorary degree from Brandeis despite protests over anti-Zionist remarks he had made, and accusing Brandeis of of anti-Semitism as a result. In one respect, that criticism is wide of the mark. Kushner was being honoured for his accomplishments as a playwright, and it seems irrelevant to punish him for some remarks he might have made that were unrelated to his main body of work.

OTOH, the comparison is on target. If Ayann Hirsi Ali was not receiving the degree for her writings and commentary on Islam, then exactly what was she receiving it for? As you say, this is what she does. So to then give in to pressure from people who you should already know were offended by her work seems ridiculous. It's as if they wanted to give a degree to Barack Obama, and then were shocked to find that members of the Tea Party objected.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#35  Postby laklak » Apr 13, 2014 4:16 pm

Buncha pussies. I'd grant the degree and tell the extremists to go fuck themselves.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#36  Postby HomerJay » Apr 13, 2014 11:48 pm

Arjan Dirkse wrote:Eh, I agree. Hirsi Ali's breadth of scholarship wisdom exists solely of repeating "Islam is bad, mkay" wherever she goes. I am not saying she isn't brave, but Hirsi Ali is not worthy of getting a honorary degree from any university.

But the honorary degree was supposed to be in recognition of her human rights work, not scholarship.

Arjan Dirkse wrote:She is also horribly right wing. She belongs in the Wilders/UKIP/Vlaams Belang camp, the paranoid idiots who think Europe is quickly turning into " Eurabia". And she's married to Niall Ferguson. She is against immigration from Islamic countries, conveniently forgetting that she herself was allowed to immigrate into the Netherlands from an islamic country.

The problem here is that some survivors of repressive regimes have opinions of those regimes that don't marry with a western strategic position vis a vis those cultures.

I don't see that as a reason to dismiss their suffering.

One result of this is that people like Ali find that they get more support from the right wing, hence the film (which Ali was involved with) on the other thread.

This is a failure of the liberal strategy that pushes people looking for support into the arms of the Right, then the liberals blame them, not just for their original response to their suffering but subsequently for accepting the patronage of the Right.
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#37  Postby HomerJay » Apr 14, 2014 12:20 am

laklak wrote:Buncha pussies. I'd grant the degree and tell the extremists to go fuck themselves.

The worst part of the affair seems to be that the University haven't apologised to Hirsi Ali for the embarrassment that they have caused.

Saying they'd accept her as a speaker just confirming their ignorance.
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38  Postby orpheus » Apr 14, 2014 12:36 am

HomerJay wrote:

But the honorary degree was supposed to be in recognition of her human rights work, not scholarship.

Arjan Dirkse wrote:She is also horribly right wing. She belongs in the Wilders/UKIP/Vlaams Belang camp, the paranoid idiots who think Europe is quickly turning into " Eurabia". And she's married to Niall Ferguson. She is against immigration from Islamic countries, conveniently forgetting that she herself was allowed to immigrate into the Netherlands from an islamic country.

The problem here is that some survivors of repressive regimes have opinions of those regimes that don't marry with a western strategic position vis a vis those cultures.

One result of this is that people like Ali find that they get more support from the right wing, hence the film (which Ali was involved with) on the other thread.

This is a failure of the liberal strategy that pushes people looking for support into the arms of the Right, then the liberals blame them, not just for their original response to their suffering but subsequently for accepting the patronage of the Right.

That's a really interesting point.

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Varangian » Apr 15, 2014 9:39 am

orpheus wrote:
HomerJay wrote:

That's a really interesting point.

That's the problem with criticism of stuff like religion, immigration policies, etc. When mainstream political parties avoid raising those issues, people like Ali seek support elsewhere. The right (or in some cases left) wing parties are happy to embrace them, as it lends their more radical agendas some legitimacy. I can pretty much imagine the rightwingers who are happy with Ali's views saying "OK, she's a nigger, but she's our nigger".

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Cthulhu's Trilby » Apr 15, 2014 10:05 am

Arjan Dirkse wrote:Hirsi Ali's breadth of scholarship wisdom exists solely of repeating "Islam is bad, mkay" wherever she goes.

That's only true in the sense that you can reduce any argument or viewpoint to those kind of terms. And what if she's right? She'd know better than I. She was a Muslim. Having grown up as a Christian and in a Christian environment, I feel fairly well equipped to comment on that religion. Isn't she well equipped to speak of hers? What if it *is* a harmful ideology?

I have little respect for organised religion as a whole, but at least the central message of Christianity is forgiveness and love of your neighbours. And even with that Christianity has been used for evil.
Cthulhu's Trilby

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs