Ayann Hirsi Ali denied honorary degree

Brandeis University caves in to pressure

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Ayann Hirsi Ali denied honorary degree

#41  Postby Animavore » Nov 17, 2023 9:10 pm

Looks like she's turned Christian because she believes Christianity is the only weapon against Islam, Communism, and... "woke ideology" ... whatever that is.

https://unherd.com/2023/11/why-i-am-now ... 77XIrxknEA
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#42  Postby THWOTH » Nov 18, 2023 12:16 pm

"Good. Good. Let the hate flow through you Ayann. Soon your journey to the darkside will be complete." :)
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Evolving » Nov 18, 2023 12:55 pm

I don't think that's fair. I don't detect any hate in the article, just opinions that I disagree with.

Like this, which is (pretty much) the conclusion of her argument:

In this nihilistic vacuum, the challenge before us becomes civilisational. We can’t withstand China, Russia and Iran if we can’t explain to our populations why it matters that we do. We can’t fight woke ideology if we can’t defend the civilisation that it is determined to destroy. And we can’t counter Islamism with purely secular tools. To win the hearts and minds of Muslims here in the West, we have to offer them something more than videos on TikTok.

To all of which questions the obvious answer is "why is Christianity the only way to do this?".

Well, except for the middle question, where there is logically a prior question: what's "woke ideology" supposed to be, and why should we fight it?

It's striking that her entire argument rests on the assertion that Christianity has been, and can be again, the grounding for our most cherished western values, and never once seems to admit that it might be worth considering the objective veracity of Christianity's factual claims.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#44  Postby THWOTH » Nov 18, 2023 3:27 pm

I was being flippant, but a anti-left, anti-woke, anti-trans Christian perspective is generally not renown for its tolerance and inclusiveness.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs