Ayann Hirsi Ali denied honorary degree

Brandeis University caves in to pressure

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Ayann Hirsi Ali denied honorary degree

#1  Postby Shrunk » Apr 09, 2014 3:44 pm

Facing growing criticism, Brandeis University said Tuesday that it had reversed course and would not award an honorary degree to Ayaan Hirsi Ali, a campaigner for women’s rights and a fierce critic of Islam, who has called the religion “a destructive, nihilistic cult of death.”

“We cannot overlook that certain of her past statements are inconsistent with Brandeis University’s core values,” the university said in a statement released eight days after it had announced that Ms. Hirsi Ali and four other people would be honored at its commencement on May 18.

The university said that the president of Brandeis, Frederick M. Lawrence, discussed the matter with Ms. Hirsi Ali on Tuesday, and that she “is welcome to join us on campus in the future to engage in a dialogue.” Universities consider it important to make a distinction between inviting a speaker who may air unpopular or provocative views that the institution does not endorse, and awarding an honorary degree, which is more akin to affirming the body of a recipient’s work....

In its statement, Brandeis said, “For all concerned, we regret that we were not aware of” Ms. Hirsi Ali’s record of anti-Islam statements, though those comments have been fairly widely publicized.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/09/us/br ... s&emc=rss#

You have to wonder: If they weren't aware of her commentary on Islam, then for what exactly were they awarding her the degree? :ask:
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Ayann Hirsi Ali denied honorary degree

#2  Postby hackenslash » Apr 09, 2014 3:46 pm

A beautiful elucidation of why the argument from authority is a fallacy, when even academic institutions can engage in vacuous stupidity.

Fuckwits.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Cthulhu's Trilby » Apr 09, 2014 3:55 pm

...the Council on American-Islamic Relations sent a letter to Dr. Lawrence, referring to Ms. Hirsi Ali as a “notorious Islamophobe.”
“She is one of the worst of the worst of the Islam haters in America, not only in America but worldwide,”

Word. The way she goes around slaughtering innocent folk for their beliefs. "One of the worst?" *THE* worst.
Cthulhu's Trilby

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby chairman bill » Apr 09, 2014 3:56 pm

Someone is worried that the university will become a target, if they continue down the road of awarding this honorary degree. What they should say is, "we would love to honour this woman, however, we have a responsibility to our staff & students, and fear a violent backlash from religious extremists if we bestow this honorary degree."
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Shrunk » Apr 09, 2014 4:09 pm

chairman bill wrote:Someone is worried that the university will become a target, if they continue down the road of awarding this honorary degree. What they should say is, "we would love to honour this woman, however, we have a responsibility to our staff & students, and fear a violent backlash from religious extremists if we bestow this honorary degree."

Have Brandeis officials said anything to suggest that is the case? Or is this just (much as I hate to use the term) political correctness?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby chairman bill » Apr 09, 2014 4:12 pm

I don't know, but I can't imagine they weren't actually aware of her thoughts about Islam, when they first thought of the honorary degree. Next, "We have decided not to award an honorary doctorate in humanitarian studies to Mr Pol Pot, after some surprising facts about his past activities came to light. Oh, and he's dead."
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Shrunk » Apr 09, 2014 4:14 pm

chairman bill wrote:I don't know, but I can't imagine they weren't actually aware of her thoughts about Islam, when they first thought of the honorary degree. Next, "We have decided not to award an honorary doctorate in humanitarian studies to Mr Pol Pot, after some surprising facts about his past activities came to light. Oh, and he's dead."

I can't imagine that either. I can, however, imagine them spinelessly giving in to political pressure from Islamic apologists, without them even worrying about being the target of violent reprisals.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#8  Postby chairman bill » Apr 09, 2014 4:16 pm

Maybe. But currently, I think that violent Islam is never far from people's minds
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Oeditor » Apr 09, 2014 5:09 pm

A pack of incompetent fools, however you look at it. I wonder what next year's applicants will think when they suddenly have their acceptance letters withdrawn?
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby quisquose » Apr 09, 2014 5:26 pm

Cthulhu's Trilby wrote:
...the Council on American-Islamic Relations sent a letter to Dr. Lawrence, referring to Ms. Hirsi Ali as a “notorious Islamophobe.”
“She is one of the worst of the worst of the Islam haters in America, not only in America but worldwide,”

Word. The way she goes around slaughtering innocent folk for their beliefs. "One of the worst?" *THE* worst.

That's just playground language.

You see that old woman with wee dribbling from her crotch? That's Ayann Hirsi Ali that is. The worsest of the worst Islamaphobes in the world ... ever!
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby Shrunk » Apr 09, 2014 5:35 pm

Now, let's see what the worst of the worst Ayaan Hirsi Ali haters have to say....
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby chairman bill » Apr 09, 2014 6:00 pm

Here's proof of how evil she is - uncovered! No veiling! Disgusting. Stone the Jezebel!

chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Shrunk » Apr 09, 2014 6:17 pm

Shrunk wrote:Now, let's see what the worst of the worst Ayaan Hirsi Ali haters have to say....

I guess this guy might be a candidate:

(Theo) Van Gogh was murdered by Mohammed Bouyeri as he was cycling to work on 2 November 2004 at about 9 o'clock in the morning.... The killer shot van Gogh eight times with an HS2000 handgun. Initially from his bicycle, Bouyeri fired several bullets at Van Gogh, who was hit, as were two bystanders. Wounded, Van Gogh ran to the other side of the road and fell to the ground on the cycle lane. According to eyewitnesses, Van Gogh's last words were: "Mercy, mercy! We can talk about it, can't we?" Bouyeri then walked up to Van Gogh, who was still lying down, and calmly shot him several more times at close range. Bouyeri then cut Van Gogh’s throat, and tried to decapitate him with a large knife, after which he stabbed the knife deep into Van Gogh's chest, reaching his spinal cord. He then attached a note to the body with a smaller knife. Van Gogh died on the spot. The two knives were left implanted. The note was addressed and contained a death threat to Ayaan Hirsi Ali, who was subsequently forced to go into hiding....
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#14  Postby quisquose » Apr 09, 2014 6:20 pm

Mohammed Bouyeri must be the nicest of the nice ... I guess.

:(
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby orpheus » Apr 09, 2014 6:44 pm

Wow. Here is an article in the Brandeis student newspaper (ironically named "The Justice"):

http://www.thejustice.org/news/degree-r ... 0WMlMevta8

A few choice bits:

In addition to condemnation, the announcement has prompted Prof. Susan Lanser (ENG) to call not only for the award to be rescinded, but for a public apology issued by Lawrence to the greater Brandeis community. In an email to the Justice, Lanser wrote that she believes Hirsi Ali “is not worthy of a doctorate of humane letters from a university that claims to be committed to justice, respect, diversity and truth to its innermost parts.”

She added that her outspoken views on Islam “foment an intolerance that is wholly antithetical to Brandeisian values.”

:picard:

Students have also expressed concern about the University’s selection. Alina Cheema ’15, co-president of the Muslim Students Association, said in an interview with the Justice that she and the MSA perceive Hirsi Ali’s receiving a degree as alarming.

“[Hirs Ali] is well-known for her [anti-Islamic] beliefs … and this is a slap in the face by the administration. Are they saying that we don’t belong on this campus?” Cheema said. “How can the University claim to be so focused on social justice when they award a degree to someone with such radical views?”

:picard:

The comments to the article are well worth reading too.
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby orpheus » Apr 09, 2014 6:59 pm

The university is named after US Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis. Of note is what Justice William O. Douglas wrote about him,: "Brandeis was a militant crusader for social justice whoever his opponent might be. He was dangerous not only because of his brilliance, his arithmetic, his courage. He was dangerous because he was incorruptible. . .” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Brandeis)

And here are a few quotes from Brandeis himself, found at http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Louis_Brandeis:

If we would guide by the light of reason, we must let our minds be bold.

Those who won our independence believed that the final end of the state was to make men free to develop their faculties, and that in its government the deliberative forces should prevail over the arbitrary. They valued liberty both as an end and as a means. They believed liberty to be the secret of happiness and courage to be the secret of liberty. They believed that freedom to think as you will and to speak as you think are means indispensable to the discovery and spread of political truth; that without free speech and assembly discussion would be futile; that with them, discussion affords ordinarily adequate protection against the dissemination of noxious doctrine; that the greatest menace to freedom is an inert people; that public discussion is a political duty; and that this should be a fundamental principle of the American government.

Those who won our independence by revolution were not cowards. They did not fear political change. They did not exalt order at the cost of liberty. To courageous, self-reliant men, with confidence in the power of free and fearless reasoning applied through the processes of popular government, no danger flowing from speech can be deemed clear and present, unless the incidence of the evil apprehended is so imminent that it may befall before there is opportunity for full discussion. If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence.

He must be rolling over in his grave.

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Oeditor » Apr 09, 2014 7:32 pm

orpheus wrote:
Students have also expressed concern about the University’s selection. Alina Cheema ’15, co-president of the Muslim Students Association, said in an interview with the Justice that she and the MSA perceive Hirsi Ali’s receiving a degree as alarming.
15? University? Must be a child prodigy. Prodigiously what, though?
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby HomerJay » Apr 09, 2014 7:38 pm

Oeditor wrote:
orpheus wrote:

Doesn't the '15 mean class of (20)15? Hence the apostrophe?
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby orpheus » Apr 09, 2014 8:47 pm

HomerJay wrote:
Oeditor wrote:
orpheus wrote:

Doesn't the '15 mean class of (20)15? Hence the apostrophe?

Yes, that's right. Although I initially thought "class of 1915" and for a few minutes was trying to work out how someone who graduated almost a century ago was giving an interview now. I suppose that confirms my status as an old fart.

:thumbup:

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Oeditor » Apr 09, 2014 9:21 pm

orpheus wrote:
HomerJay wrote:Doesn't the '15 mean class of (20)15? Hence the apostrophe?

Yes, that's right. Although I initially thought "class of 1915" and for a few minutes was trying to work out how someone who graduated almost a century ago was giving an interview now. I suppose that confirms my status as an old fart.
Ah, I've never come across that usage before. But 1915? Surely she's from the class of 615 - and at Yathrib University at that!
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs