Bombing and mass-shooting in Oslo, Norway

National tragedy, at least 77 casualties.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Powerful explosion in Oslo, Norway

#121  Postby John P. M. » Jul 22, 2011 11:43 pm

MacIver wrote:What's the word on the suspect?

Are they an Islamist?

Actually, it seems quite the opposite. Right now, it seems more and more probable that this is a domestic group, or just one individual.

Newspapers here are now naming the suspect (full name) and showing his picture unedited. Didn't think they could do that, but. What's done is done. The person they are naming is a nationalist, very conservative, with anti-Islamic views.
John P. M.
RS Donator

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#122  Postby amok » Jul 22, 2011 11:53 pm

Sorry, double post.
Last edited by amok on Jul 22, 2011 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amok
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#123  Postby amok » Jul 22, 2011 11:58 pm

John P. M. wrote:
MacIver wrote:What's the word on the suspect?

Are they an Islamist?

Actually, it seems quite the opposite. Right now, it seems more and more probable that this is a domestic group, or just one individual.

Newspapers here are now naming the suspect (full name) and showing his picture unedited. Didn't think they could do that, but. What's done is done. The person they are naming is a nationalist, very conservative, with anti-Islamic views.

Good grief! If this turns out to be the case, it should be a wake-up call for all knee-jerkers, on all divides. I'm in awe of the Norwegians, at this point, for their fairness and good sense.
amok
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#124  Postby BrandySpears » Jul 23, 2011 12:00 am

Suspect:
Anders Behring Breivik

BrandySpears

United States (us)
Print view this post

#125  Postby Animavore » Jul 23, 2011 12:03 am

Has a Wiki already http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Behring_Breivik
Conservative Christian into WoW according to his Facebook.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#126  Postby Rumraket » Jul 23, 2011 12:09 am

http://nb-no.facebook.com/people/Anders ... 2651290254
Self-professed right-wing, christian conservative. Oh wow... funny how his belief in god didn't stop him from murdering innocent civilians.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#127  Postby andyx1205 » Jul 23, 2011 12:21 am

My condolences with the families of all the victims and injured. Hopefully those involved in this horrific attack are caught and brought to justice.

To those who first jumped to the conclusion that the terrorists had to be Muslim, you should re-evaluate your views, because terrorists come in all shapes and forms.

Also, exactly what is this guy trying to accomplish? I looked at his facebook page which shows his interests (books/television/games) and they seem to be quite normal.
Last edited by andyx1205 on Jul 23, 2011 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full.” - Trotsky
andyx1205

Name: Andy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#128  Postby Nostalgia » Jul 23, 2011 12:37 am

andyx1205 wrote:To those who first jumped to the conclusion that the terrorists had to be Muslim, you should re-evaluate your views, because terrorists come in all shapes and forms.

Well obviously.

But assuming this was perpetrated by Islamists wasn't exactly jumping the gun. Just like assuming a bombing in the UK pre-9/11 would of been done by Irish separatists, or in Spain conducted by Basque terrorists.

It's just a matter of statistics. It was more likely that this was done by Muslim extremists. Just because it was a Christian doesn't change that.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#129  Postby andyx1205 » Jul 23, 2011 12:44 am

MacIver wrote:
andyx1205 wrote:To those who first jumped to the conclusion that the terrorists had to be Muslim, you should re-evaluate your views, because terrorists come in all shapes and forms.

Well obviously.

But assuming this was perpetrated by Islamists wasn't exactly jumping the gun. Just like assuming a bombing in the UK pre-9/11 would of been done by Irish separatists, or in Spain conducted by Basque terrorists.

It's just a matter of statistics. It was more likely that this was done by Muslim extremists. Just because it was a Christian doesn't change that.

I don't deny that Muslims have the largest share of terrorists amongst a group in comparison to other groups. However, what you are doing is somewhat racial profiling.

In America and England., blacks are more likely to be criminals than whites, it's a matter of statistics. Try using that argument however.
“I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full.” - Trotsky
andyx1205

Name: Andy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#130  Postby theropod » Jul 23, 2011 12:46 am

Crazy mother fucker!

Be careful Norway, and don't go nuts like the USA did after 9/11.

My thoughts are with your nation.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#131  Postby Stublore » Jul 23, 2011 12:50 am

andyx1205 wrote:
MacIver wrote:

Well obviously.

I don't deny that Muslims have the largest share of terrorists amongst a group in comparison to other groups. However, what you are doing is somewhat racial profiling.

In America and England., blacks are more likely to be criminals than whites, it's a matter of statistics. Try using that argument however.

And what somewhat race are muslims?
Stublore

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#132  Postby Dracena » Jul 23, 2011 12:51 am

:(
Dracena

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#133  Postby Nostalgia » Jul 23, 2011 1:00 am

andyx1205 wrote:
MacIver wrote:

Well obviously.

That's impossible. Because Muslims are not a race. I don't take kindly to someone suggesting that I'm racial profiling (even if they put the word 'somewhat' before the term). :nono:

This is completely irrelevant.

But if it is a correct statistic, then it can be used in any argument. If you don't use it because you're scared it might offend someone despite it being the truth then it's as bad as those that would use it to try and suggest there's some inherent difference between blacks and whites beside their average socio-economic difference.

Also, it's worth noting that some news sources reported Islamists taking responsibility for the attack before it became clear on who the prep was.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#134  Postby chango369 » Jul 23, 2011 2:16 am

It's being reported now that at least 80 were killed in Utøya

http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/norge/1.7723555
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#135  Postby Stublore » Jul 23, 2011 2:29 am

Damn misunderstander of christianity.
80 ppl dead on the island, are you sure?
What sort of weapons are available in Norway?
Any update yet on his reasons?
Stublore

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#136  Postby amok » Jul 23, 2011 3:01 am

Stublore wrote:Damn misunderstander of christianity.

The most recent report I can find (N.Y. Times) says 87 dead in the two attacks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/23/world/europe/23oslo.html

I'm hoping (good grief, what a thing to say! - I seriously hope people understand what I mean) - that the majority are victims of the bomb blast, rather than the attack on children/young people on the island.

Fuck, fuck, fuck. A few hours ago, I wouldn't have thought it possible for me to be wishing such an awful thing, over another more horrible thing.
amok
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#137  Postby zomgwtf » Jul 23, 2011 3:15 am

amok wrote:
Stublore wrote:Damn misunderstander of christianity.

The most recent report I can find (N.Y. Times) says 87 dead in the two attacks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/23/world/europe/23oslo.html

I'm hoping (good grief, what a thing to say! - I seriously hope people understand what I mean) - that the majority are victims of the bomb blast, rather than the attack on children/young people on the island.

Fuck, fuck, fuck. A few hours ago, I wouldn't have thought it possible for me to be wishing such an awful thing, over another more horrible thing.

From what I gather it's 80 dead at least on the island (where the shooting occurred) and 7 dead from the bombing. I'm not sure if the 80 victims on the island were all part of the youth group or if they were mostly teens. Truly a messed up story.
zomgwtf

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#138  Postby rEvolutionist » Jul 23, 2011 4:04 am

Man, this is terrible.

What sort of weapon did he use on the Island? What are the gun laws like in Norway?
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#139  Postby Ironclad » Jul 23, 2011 4:38 am

He must have been heavily armed, 80 youngsters.. so tragic. :(

Sent from my HTC Wildfire
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#140  Postby epepke » Jul 23, 2011 4:45 am

rEvolutionist wrote:Man, this is terrible.

What sort of weapon did he use on the Island?

The acting national police chief, Sveinung Sponheim, told reporters in Oslo that the gun was an automatic weapon and that undetonated explosives were found on the island after the attack.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs