Bombing and mass-shooting in Oslo, Norway

National tragedy, at least 77 casualties.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Powerful explosion in Oslo, Norway

#141  Postby rEvolutionist » Jul 23, 2011 5:14 am

Christ. How did he get all this stuff?
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#142  Postby Byron » Jul 23, 2011 6:25 am

Eyewitness accounts from Utoeya island. BBC News just broadcast a graphic account from a 21-year-old youth leader caught in the middle of the mass-murder. His articulateness was breathtaking. He swam away with his friends being shot around him, was forced back, and was found by the murderer hiding with others in a hut, and survived by hiding behind their bodies.

I'd say something like I hope Breivik spends a good long while bouncing off the walls of an interrogation room, but honestly, retribution would be hollow in the face of what he's done. I'm just glad he's off the streets.

My condolences to all those affected and solidarity with Norway.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#143  Postby Globe » Jul 23, 2011 6:57 am

For years I and others have been warning that homegrown nationalists/right wing extremists/nazies is the biggest threat in Scandinavia.

We've been laughed out, scorned, ridiculed, sideline and generally been ousted by "political correct" company.

FFS...... this is ONE situation where I hate being right.

My thoughts and sympathy goes to all Norwegians.

Never ever let the mistakes of the previous century repeat themselves.
"Justice will be served!
As soon as I can find you a piece that hasn't gone rotten." - Globe

I don't accept sexism, no matter what gender is being targeted with an -ism.
Globe

Female

Spain (es)
Print view this post

#144  Postby BrandySpears » Jul 23, 2011 7:02 am

Anders Behring Breivik's comments with Document.no
This is a complete list of comments Anders Behring Breivik has left at Document.no.

GOOGLE translate: http://translate.google.ca/translate?js ... g-breivik/
BrandySpears

United States (us)
Print view this post

#145  Postby Aern Rakesh » Jul 23, 2011 7:05 am

BrandySpears wrote:Anders Behring Breivik's comments with Document.no
This is a complete list of comments Anders Behring Breivik has left at Document.no.

I get "can't find document", Brandy.
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#146  Postby rEvolutionist » Jul 23, 2011 7:10 am

Byron wrote:Eyewitness accounts from Utoeya island. BBC News just broadcast a graphic account from a 21-year-old youth leader caught in the middle of the mass-murder. His articulateness was breathtaking. He swam away with his friends being shot around him, was forced back, and was found by the murderer hiding with others in a hut, and survived by hiding behind their bodies.

I'd say something like I hope Breivik spends a good long while bouncing off the walls of an interrogation room, but honestly, retribution would be hollow in the face of what he's done. I'm just glad he's off the streets.

My condolences to all those affected and solidarity with Norway.

When I clicked on that link, the account I heard was from a 16 year old girl. She was incredibly calm when describing the fact that she saw people being killed. I hope it's just a case of shock that is keeping her from expressing her emotions, and she will be able to properly deal with it soon. :(

By the way, I think she mentioned in there that the shooting might have been going on for an hour or so. If that's so, what the hell were the police doing in all that time? Maybe her sense of time was thrown out by the trauma of it all. :dunno:
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#147  Postby John P. M. » Jul 23, 2011 7:14 am

About four hours of sleep. OK.

The thread topic is "Powerful explosion in Oslo, Norway", but it turns out the shooting afterwards was much more severe.
84 people are now confirmed dead from the island shooting, still 7 from the bomb blast.

It's all so senseless. It would have been, no matter the cause, but... one, lone, deranged Norwegian asshole?
I guess I was right then in one of my earliest comments, but I didn't think it was actually possible. I was almost being ironic at the time, because of the unlikelihood. Still possible he's part of a group, but...
John P. M.
RS Donator

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#148  Postby Globe » Jul 23, 2011 7:19 am

Norwegian police:
Right-wing Christian fundamentalist.
"Justice will be served!

Globe

Female

Spain (es)
Print view this post

#149  Postby BrandySpears » Jul 23, 2011 7:22 am

Nora_Leonard wrote:
BrandySpears wrote:Anders Behring Breivik's comments with Document.no

I get "can't find document", Brandy.

It's still loading for me.....although it takes a few seconds. Try the original document http://www.document.no/anders-behring-breivik/ and then Google Translate.
Last edited by BrandySpears on Jul 23, 2011 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrandySpears

United States (us)
Print view this post

#150  Postby rEvolutionist » Jul 23, 2011 7:23 am

I wonder if you guys now have the dubious distinction of having the worst single day mass murder in history (aside from Governments, that is). I can't imagine there could be many worse than this. I'm sort of reminded of the one in Australia from the 90's in Tasmania. I think he got about 35-40 with a gun. His wasn't politically motivated, but when it gets down to it, the reason is kind of irrelevant when we start talking about that many innocent people killed by an individual.
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#151  Postby MoonLit » Jul 23, 2011 7:27 am

Over 80 dead from that island... Holy fuck man. He would shoot them in the head with a shot-gun just to make sure they're dead. Apparently several tried playing dead, and that obviously didn't work out.

Ugh. :(
Image Image Image Image
Click the eggs please!
MoonLit
RS Donator

Name: Andi
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#152  Postby Aern Rakesh » Jul 23, 2011 7:28 am

Listening to the police press conference now. I don't know who it was who was speaking but I was impressed by the guy who said, when asked if he was surprised that it was a Norwegian Christian fundamentalist rather than an Islamic terrorist that people were complicated beings and that he wasn't surprised. In other words, he didn't think labels were of much use (at least that's what I read in what he was saying).

John P. M. wrote:The thread topic is "Powerful explosion in Oslo, Norway", but it turns out the shooting afterwards was much more severe. 84 people are now confirmed dead from the island shooting, still 7 from the bomb blast.

That's how it is being headlined on the BBC news website, John, i.e. "Norway Youth Camp Attack Kills 84".
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#153  Postby epepke » Jul 23, 2011 7:32 am

rEvolutionist wrote:I wonder if you guys now have the dubious distinction of having the worst single day mass murder in history (aside from Governments, that is).

And 9/11. But this seems the worst ever with a firearm.

The British still hold the record for serial killing with Harold Shipman, but he took years.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

#154  Postby Globe » Jul 23, 2011 7:43 am

This is from a danish blogger who have spent years going "underground" in the extreme right-wing environment i Scandinavia.
Please keep in mind that I can't guarantee complete correctness of the information, but the blogger has, so far, not been wrong when handing out information.

As mentioned earlier I have just returned from vacation, and therefor I have not previously written about the tragedy in Norway. But I will give the first information on the perpetrator. "Anders Behring Breivik" is from the extreme Norwegian right and have for many years used the blogger name FJORDMANN. He is also known among danish anti-muslims and have many friends in Denmark. I have followed him closely for a number of years because I have written articles about anti-muslim groupings. He is well educated and not a madman. He hates muslims and the left wing. More to follow later.

He is also an Inspirator and part of a network called Counterjihad. You can read about the network at P77.

Fjordmann wrote last year that he was writing a book about politics and western culture.

His blogging on his blog Fjordmann has through several years been spred also by danish anti-muslims and translated to English by, among others, Edvard Ned May from the blog Gats of Vienna. Ned May has connections to Trykkefrihedsselskabet and SIAD.

Fjordmann aka Anders Behring Breivik have had lots of friends also from Denmark on his Facebook profil.

It is very serious that we now see that anti-muslim groups, who we know for years have threatened, especially online, to hit muslims and antiracister, now have committed such an act.

On thursday Bo Vilbrand /Bo Rightwing from Danish Defence League was arrested by PET (Danish Secret Service). Danish Defence League have contact to Norwegian anti-muslim groupings.

I encourage all to remember that the acts is political terror committed by a person/persons from the far right wing. All knowing this blogger that has been arrested.

Anders Behring Breivik wrote in his blog and spread propagande, especially about anti-muslim conspiracies "Eurabia" he thinks, as so many others of his kind, that muslims in cooperation with the left wing will Islamise the west and take power.

p77 can be found here
"Justice will be served!

Globe

Female

Spain (es)
Print view this post

#155  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 23, 2011 8:14 am

Globe that was very informative :thumbup:

I have read about right wing Scandinavian movements years agobut nobody did not seem to be much bothered.
This really shocking and unbelievable. :nono: :nono:

Such a loss of life.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#156  Postby Juliuseizure » Jul 23, 2011 8:17 am

They're saying in the news that his rage was a response to Islam - ie, Islam is to blame still. How the fuck can they spin this tragedy like that?!?1?1?!? He is a psychotic with no justifiable motive - how dare the British media portray him as being a soldier against Islam?!?!?!?!!?!? Even though he is a far right loony, this is put down to Islam. Blind propaganda.

I'm sorry about my crass comment earlier but I'm just so riddled with guilt and bitterness because of Iraq I can't let it go when it comes to modern gunpowder.
Juliuseizure

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#157  Postby Rumraket » Jul 23, 2011 8:24 am

They're saying in the news that his rage was a response to Islam - ie, Islam is to blame still. How the fuck can they spin this tragedy like that?!?1?1?!?

This is a remarkably incoherent statement. I don't know where in the world you live or what exactly they said in the broadcast you watched, but from what you wrote it doesn't logically follow that islam is to blame for the tragedy, nor that it was an intended product of "spin".

It could very well be a statement of fact, and seems to be supported by what Globe reports: He was a neo-nazi gunman lunatic with a deep hatred of islam and muslims. You'll have to explain to me how this statement of fact becomes a blame of guilt by implication. People naturally want to know what could motivate a man to go so completely mad.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

Re: Bombing and mass-shooting in Oslo, Norway

#158  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 23, 2011 8:29 am

Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#159  Postby Globe » Jul 23, 2011 8:30 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Globe that was very informative :thumbup:

I have read about right wing Scandinavian movements years agobut nobody did not seem to be much bothered.
This really shocking and unbelievable. :nono: :nono:

Such a loss of life.

Why should they be bothered?

The danish government is propped up/supported by DPP (Danish Peoples Party) whose views on Muslims and non-Danes is not far off from what people like this express.
There are real life Nazis elected into city councils in Sweden.
The sister parties of DPP in both Sweden and Norway are growing, and in some political contexts very powerful.
The True Finns COULD have been a government party in Finland. :what:
"Justice will be served!

Globe

Female

Spain (es)
Print view this post

#160  Postby Zwaarddijk » Jul 23, 2011 8:42 am

MacIver wrote:
andyx1205 wrote:To those who first jumped to the conclusion that the terrorists had to be Muslim, you should re-evaluate your views, because terrorists come in all shapes and forms.

Well obviously.

But assuming this was perpetrated by Islamists wasn't exactly jumping the gun. Just like assuming a bombing in the UK pre-9/11 would of been done by Irish separatists, or in Spain conducted by Basque terrorists.

It's just a matter of statistics. It was more likely that this was done by Muslim extremists. Just because it was a Christian doesn't change that.

Statistics over terror in Europe even before this put extreme leftist groups, separatists, extreme rightist groups etc ahead of Muslims.
http://www.loonwatch.com/2010/01/terrorism-in-europe/
(duly note that the europol statistics count some far-right acts of terrorism as ethno-nationalist terrorism.)
Last edited by Zwaarddijk on Jul 23, 2011 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs