Brexit

The talks and negotiations.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Brexit

#9681  Postby ronmcd » Nov 04, 2019 9:54 pm

First-past-the-post voting system: The Rules

Rule 1: Only seats matter, the popular vote is irrelevant.

Rule 2: An exception is made to Rule 1 if we need to keep the Jocks in their place for the purposes of a TV leaders' debate.

Here's Kay Burley to explain.

https://twitter.com/JamesKelly/status/1 ... 0304375808
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#9682  Postby ronmcd » Nov 04, 2019 9:58 pm

UPDATE: I see Sky's carefully-worded justification for excluding the third-largest party is that they have invited "the three main UK-wide parties". Guys, when you're in a hole, it's generally best to stop digging. "UK-wide" is not a synonym for "based in London". Neither Labour nor the Liberal Democrats are UK-wide parties because they don't put up candidates in Northern Ireland. If you want a debate between UK-wide parties only, it'll be a Boris Johnson monologue. (Although maybe I shouldn't put ideas in their heads, because they'd probably be tempted.)

https://scotgoespop.blogspot.com/2019/1 ... o-rig.html
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#9683  Postby Ironclad » Nov 04, 2019 10:05 pm

SNP are vastly overrepresented, and I feel they shouldn't really have a box to stand on in a live TV GE debate. Plus they have but one policy to broadcast anyway, and we hear that every time there is a day in the week. What could they bring of significant interest?
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#9685  Postby OlivierK » Nov 04, 2019 11:11 pm

Ironclad wrote:SNP are vastly overrepresented, and I feel they shouldn't really have a box to stand on in a live TV GE debate. Plus they have but one policy to broadcast anyway, and we hear that every time there is a day in the week. What could they bring of significant interest?

Perspectives on Brexit and the future of the Union?

But perhaps those aren't relevant to the current election campaign. :ask:
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9686  Postby Ironclad » Nov 05, 2019 3:16 am

I don't believe the SNP are that deep.

Ironclad
RS Donator

Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#9687  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Nov 05, 2019 6:24 am

Wow!

Time wrote:British Government Delays Report on Russian Interference in Brexit Vote Until After Election

The publication of a report into Russian interference in the 2016 Brexit referendum is to be delayed until after the upcoming U.K. general election, Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s office said Monday.

The 50-page report by the U.K. Parliament’s Intelligence and Security Committee, entitled simply “Russia,” was due to be published on Monday.

The culmination of an 18-month inquiry, the report had compiled evidence from Britain’s intelligence agencies and other experts about the extent of Russian interference in Britain’s democratic processes. But it will now not be published until after the Dec. 12 election, after the Prime Minister’s office refused to give the necessary signoff.

Continues...

PM accused of cover-up over report on Russian meddling in UK politics

Boris Johnson was on Monday night accused of presiding over a cover-up after it emerged that No 10 refused to clear the publication of a potentially incendiary report examining Russian infiltration in British politics, including the Conservative party.

Downing Street indicated on Monday that it would not allow a 50-page dossier from the intelligence and security committee to be published before the election, prompting a string of complaints over its suppression.

The committee’s chairman, Dominic Grieve, called the decision “jaw dropping”, saying no reason for the refusal had been given, while Labour and Scottish National party politicians accused No 10 of refusing to recognise the scale of Russian meddling.

Fresh evidence has also emerged of attempts by the Kremlin to infiltrate the Conservatives by a senior Russian diplomat suspected of espionage, who spent five years in London cultivating leading Tories including Johnson himself.

Continues...
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9688  Postby Ironclad » Nov 05, 2019 9:55 am

Inexcusable!

Ironclad
RS Donator

Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#9689  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 05, 2019 10:08 am

Liberal Democracy appears to be readily subverted by modern autocratic states.

That's not supposed to be how it works.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#9690  Postby OlivierK » Nov 05, 2019 10:42 am

Ironclad wrote:I don't believe the SNP are that deep.

If depth is a criterion, then how does Johnson score an invite?
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9691  Postby Tracer Tong » Nov 05, 2019 1:07 pm

It’s a bit weird to have the SNP up there when only a small proportion of the audience could vote for them.
Die Alten sind weder die Juden, noch die Christen, noch die Engländer der Poesie. Sie sind nicht ein willkürlich auserwähltes Kunstvolk Gottes; noch haben sie den alleinseligmachenden Schönheitsglauben; noch besitzen sie ein Dichtungsmonopol.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#9692  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 05, 2019 1:55 pm

Tracer Tong wrote:It’s a bit weird to have the SNP up there when only a small proportion of the audience could vote for them.

On the other hand they have more seats in parliament than the LibDems.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9693  Postby ronmcd » Nov 05, 2019 2:24 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Tracer Tong wrote:It’s a bit weird to have the SNP up there when only a small proportion of the audience could vote for them.

On the other hand they have more seats in parliament than the LibDems.

Indeed. In a FPTP election. Where other parties with less seats also don't stand UK wide, but are in the debates.

Different rules, you see.

First-past-the-post voting system: The Rules

Rule 1: Only seats matter, the popular vote is irrelevant.

Rule 2: An exception is made to Rule 1 if we need to keep the Jocks in their place for the purposes of a TV leaders' debate.

Here's Kay Burley to explain.

https://twitter.com/JamesKelly/status/1 ... 0304375808
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#9694  Postby ronmcd » Nov 05, 2019 2:28 pm

Funnily enough, all these arguments were used in the past, and then precedent - we thought - had been set when the Greens, SNP, PLaid appeared in GE debates in recent General Elections. And now, even though SNP are the 3rd largest party in Westminster, the broadcasters - AND the 3 parties being included - want to go back to stitching up the election.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#9696  Postby Alan B » Nov 05, 2019 3:10 pm

Boris Corbyn?

Who he? :shifty:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9698  Postby ronmcd » Nov 05, 2019 4:47 pm

Brexit claims another relatively moderate Tory. Phil Hammond - Chancellor weeks ago - is not standing in the GE.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#9700  Postby Tracer Tong » Nov 05, 2019 5:43 pm

ronmcd wrote:The latest one is 'only Boris Corbyn or Swinson could be PM'.

Swinson can't be PM, the libdems can't win.

No, but everyone registered to vote (outside of Northern Ireland) can vote for a Lib Dem candidate, as far as I’m aware.
Die Alten sind weder die Juden, noch die Christen, noch die Engländer der Poesie. Sie sind nicht ein willkürlich auserwähltes Kunstvolk Gottes; noch haben sie den alleinseligmachenden Schönheitsglauben; noch besitzen sie ein Dichtungsmonopol.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs