Father shoots down drone diorectly over his yard

Whilst his daughters sunbathed

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Father shoots down drone diorectly over his yard

#221  Postby Teague » Sep 01, 2015 5:05 pm

The_Piper wrote:
purplerat wrote:
tuco wrote:
purplerat wrote:It's funny how people only want the law to work one way. This is pretty typical though, people are all about freedom until it adversely affects them. The drone owner wants the freedom to fly it wherever he likes but when the home owner wants to send a bullet the same way that should be illegal. Privacy doesn't matter except once you say drone owners should need to register with the government then that's an issue.

Issue for who? Who are these people you talk about? The only thing that is "funny" about this case that if it happened in most other parts of civilized world there would be no shooting. That is .. funny.

People who think that privacy rights aren't worth protecting but property rights are. What makes one more important than the other?

No one can dump garbage, or build a house and live in your backyard. To me, that makes property rights more important. I like privacy rights too, to a point. A drone hovering 20 feet overhead is obviously not ok. (Flying by enroute to somewhere else is ok.) But backyards in residential neighborhoods often can be seen from neighbors windows. At our house I had 8 other residential houses and buildings in the line of sight where someone theoretically could have been filming us in the backyard. From the front there were other houses. You'd have to put walls and a roof over your backyard there if you wanted privacy. Where I live now I just have to worry about scenic tour spy planes and sexually predatory flying go karts.
What do people do when their house is in the line of sight of a traffic or security cam? Pound sand, I think?

So you're saying that you would put up with someone filming would you because they had a window looking over your yard? What the fuck kind of neighbourhood do you live in where your neighbours stare at you and record you and your kids from their windows. Your that much of a wuss you put up with that kind of shit?
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#222  Postby The_Piper » Sep 01, 2015 5:49 pm

Teague wrote:
The_Piper wrote:
purplerat wrote:
tuco wrote:

Issue for who? Who are these people you talk about? The only thing that is "funny" about this case that if it happened in most other parts of civilized world there would be no shooting. That is .. funny.

People who think that privacy rights aren't worth protecting but property rights are. What makes one more important than the other?

No one can dump garbage, or build a house and live in your backyard. To me, that makes property rights more important. I like privacy rights too, to a point. A drone hovering 20 feet overhead is obviously not ok. (Flying by enroute to somewhere else is ok.) But backyards in residential neighborhoods often can be seen from neighbors windows. At our house I had 8 other residential houses and buildings in the line of sight where someone theoretically could have been filming us in the backyard. From the front there were other houses. You'd have to put walls and a roof over your backyard there if you wanted privacy. Where I live now I just have to worry about scenic tour spy planes and sexually predatory flying go karts.
What do people do when their house is in the line of sight of a traffic or security cam? Pound sand, I think?

So you're saying that you would put up with someone filming would you because they had a window looking over your yard? What the fuck kind of neighbourhood do you live in where your neighbours stare at you and record you and your kids from their windows. Your that much of a wuss you put up with that kind of shit?

Dude...really? :lol:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#223  Postby Teague » Sep 02, 2015 1:16 pm

The_Piper wrote:
Teague wrote:
The_Piper wrote:
purplerat wrote:

Dude...really? :lol:

You made the comparison, is " dude...really" all you have in the way of a response?
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#224  Postby The_Piper » Sep 02, 2015 2:01 pm

You mean you were actually probing for a rational response by calling me a wuss, and drawing conclusions that are way out in left field? Your post isn't in the spirit of rational debate to put it nicely, and "dude...really?" is letting you off easy. I should have reported the post and been done with it.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#225  Postby Teague » Sep 02, 2015 2:45 pm

I didn't realize you were so sensitive! A wuss? That's hardly an insult now, is it? Way out of left field - you do realise my post was pointing out the absurdity of your argument, right? The fact that you made the point that your neighbours can see into your yard so it makes overhead drones ok would only be comparable in this thread if your neighbours were taking pictures or videoing your backyard which of course you know is total bullshit. People don't do that because most people respect their neighbours privacy.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#226  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Sep 02, 2015 3:30 pm

Are you actually arguing the label "wuss" when applied to another person isn't debasing? That it's just neutral?

People will have less trouble respecting you if you just accept that, yeah, calling someone a wuss - suggesting they're weak or timid or cowardly - is an insult. So what, you didn't call them a piece of shit and tell them to go eat a bag of dicks? The fact it's not as extreme doesn't make it any less an insult in nature.

If you're going to do it, own it, at the very least.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#227  Postby The_Piper » Sep 02, 2015 3:37 pm

Teague, "Dude...really? :lol:" Doesn't mean I'm sensitive, it means that your post was out in left field. Calling me a wuss is an insult, if I laughed at it or not.
I've already made my position clear in this thread. All of your questions were answered before you even asked them. Your interpretation is not accurate. Since you even quoted the individual question I was answering, I can really only conclude you were trying to get a rise out of me by addressing me like that. Where did I post that someone filming me in my backyard out of a window would be fine by me?
Teague wrote: People don't do that because most people respect their neighbours privacy.
Wait a minute, the same neighbors who fly the drones that you're so sensitive about, right?
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#228  Postby Teague » Sep 02, 2015 4:46 pm

OK you two let's step back a few paces. Can we first find out IF Piper's neighbours are filming him from their windows? Because I think I Specifically said that IF that was the case then s/he was a wuss for letting it happen. So why the fuck are you both jumping on my back about a theoretical scenario? Are you also saying that someone that didn't defend their kids isn't a wuss - I would go a lot further in my insults to them, I can tell you that.

Piper, you're last sentence makes no sense at all.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#229  Postby The_Piper » Sep 02, 2015 5:51 pm

Teague wrote:OK you two let's step back a few paces. Can we first find out IF Piper's neighbours are filming him from their windows? Because I think I Specifically said that IF that was the case then s/he was a wuss for letting it happen. So why the fuck are you both jumping on my back about a theoretical scenario? Are you also saying that someone that didn't defend their kids isn't a wuss - I would go a lot further in my insults to them, I can tell you that.

You read what I was saying upthread because you quoted it. If you draw that conclusion from what I said, you're not taking a step back, and letting it sink in for a second or two. It's not very complicated, and I wasn't being mysterious in the way I typed it out. Then I already re-answered your question again in the post above your last one, and now I'm not going to take the bait.
Plus this post that I'm replying to is full of shit. Look at what you wrote, the word if isn't even in the post in question.
Nobody is on your back, you're on mine, for no readily apparent reason.
As an aside, how do you know that any of your neighbors aren't filming you from their window?!
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#230  Postby Teague » Sep 03, 2015 3:08 pm

The_Piper wrote:
Teague wrote:OK you two let's step back a few paces. Can we first find out IF Piper's neighbours are filming him from their windows? Because I think I Specifically said that IF that was the case then s/he was a wuss for letting it happen. So why the fuck are you both jumping on my back about a theoretical scenario? Are you also saying that someone that didn't defend their kids isn't a wuss - I would go a lot further in my insults to them, I can tell you that.

You read what I was saying upthread because you quoted it. If you draw that conclusion from what I said, you're not taking a step back, and letting it sink in for a second or two. It's not very complicated, and I wasn't being mysterious in the way I typed it out. Then I already re-answered your question again in the post above your last one, and now I'm not going to take the bait.
Plus this post that I'm replying to is full of shit. Look at what you wrote, the word if isn't even in the post in question.
Nobody is on your back, you're on mine, for no readily apparent reason.
As an aside, how do you know that any of your neighbors aren't filming you from their window?!

There's no bait and I made up a scenario. So you need the word "if" to be able to get it? OK I'll try harder next time. I don't know if they are or not but I'm willing to bet there's a 99% chance they've never intentionally done it and a 99.9999% chance they're not doing it as a constant thing.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#231  Postby The_Piper » Sep 03, 2015 4:02 pm

ok, the end
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#232  Postby The_Metatron » Sep 06, 2015 3:48 am

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Teague, the posts below that you made contain personal attacks:

[Reveal] Spoiler: your reported posts, relevant text in bold red font
Teague wrote:
The_Piper wrote:
purplerat wrote:
tuco wrote:

Teague wrote:You're replying to my posts so I'm assuming you want me to read them and now it's "well some of the states it's paid" and you're still missing the point and providing more BS as you backpedal.

No I'm referring to the "fact" about unlimited vacation time which is obvious since only a few posts up I not only pointed that out, but conceded the extremely trivial point that no, not every country does it exactly the same but they do it which is more than the US does right now and btw, how did I get pissed off about that? I thought you were rather childish to make the argument. I'm not sure why I'd be pissed off about it.

Where did I dispute the "facts". I said you were disingenuous when you deliberately missed out they were "unpaid" - do I need to copy and paste the reply I already made so you can read it again and waste more of my time?

You're seriously trying to compare Europe with the US on maternity leave and paid vacation? The fact that you are is rather sad.

You even make an argument of how is it all going to be paid for.

Europe GDP $18 trillion
US GDP $18 trillion

We seem to be doing ok with the way it is right now. On the flip side, how many people are dying over there because they work the longest hours of any developed nation?

Making personal attacks against other forum members is not allowed, as is spelled out in our Forum User's Agreement, paragraph 1.2.c, to which you agreed when you joined our forum.

[Reveal] Spoiler: relevant section of the Forum User's Agreement
Members of rationalskepticism.org agree to:

1.2. not post or transmit defamatory, abusive, threatening or illegal material, or any other material with the intent to purposely mislead or harm others or infringe on the ability of others to enjoy rationalskepticism.org. This includes but is not limited to:

c. post personal attacks or insults towards other members.

Please keep this in mind when you make your posts, to make our forum a better place, and to avoid possible sanction.

The_Metatron

Please do not discuss this modnote or moderation in this thread as it is off-topic. If you need clarification or want to appeal this decision, please PM me or a senior moderator.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#233  Postby kennyc » Sep 06, 2015 12:42 pm

This chimp agrees with the father.

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#234  Postby The_Piper » Sep 06, 2015 1:25 pm

It may have thought that it was a thanksgiving dinner-sized insect.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#235  Postby laklak » Sep 06, 2015 5:22 pm

Chimps! Perfect anti-drone defense, if you have a big slingshot. Just shoot the chimp at the drone, he'll grab it. He can catch a tree branch on the way down to break his fall, or give him a parachute. He'd fucking love it. He'd be coming up to you , holding his little chimp chute, pointing at the slingshot. Or maybe a small trebuchet would work better, probably pull fewer initial Gs. Don't want him blacking out.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#236  Postby Made of Stars » Sep 07, 2015 6:34 am

laklak wrote:Chimps! Perfect anti-drone defense, if you have a big slingshot. Just shoot the chimp at the drone, he'll grab it. He can catch a tree branch on the way down to break his fall, or give him a parachute. He'd fucking love it. He'd be coming up to you , holding his little chimp chute, pointing at the slingshot. Or maybe a small trebuchet would work better, probably pull fewer initial Gs. Don't want him blacking out.

If you use a trebuchet, I don't think the chimp would like the part where you dose them with gasoline and set them alight. :think:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#237  Postby Teague » Sep 07, 2015 12:17 pm

[quote="The_Metatron";p="2291795"][/quote]

Sorry, Piper!
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#238  Postby The_Piper » Sep 07, 2015 1:30 pm

Teague wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:

Sorry, Piper!

Thanks. It's ok Teague, no harm done. I'm sorry too.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#239  Postby laklak » Sep 07, 2015 1:52 pm

Well, that deescalated quickly.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#240  Postby Fallible » Sep 07, 2015 2:04 pm

She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs