How will the Tories attack Tom and Jerry ?

Is passionate protest enough ?

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: How will the Tories attack Tom and Jerry ?

#261  Postby Briton » Sep 17, 2015 12:56 pm

Briton wrote:
Tenacious Tubbs wrote:I've been thinking about this recently - because I have an instinctive fondness for these kinds of ancient customs and theatrics, and the monarchy in general. I just value them as part of our history and heritage, and don't think that they should be thrown away too easily.

I asked myself, why do I value our cultural heritage? Honestly, I couldn't come up with a rational basis. I've read things like "we need know where we've come from to know where we're going", but that's just platitudes. There's no rational reason for not discarding it all and starting over.

Nonetheless, I do value them in the same way I wouldn't want to knock down Stonehenge, or any number of the medieval castles around the UK to build a big Tesco. And I wouldn't to bulldoze our national forests and parks to build social housing. And that's equally irrational at it's core. So sue me, I'm human :grin:

How the fuck is protecting our environment or historical buildings comparable to preserving a hereditary form of government that institutionalises privilege into our society? That's just bonkers.

Tenacious Tubbs wrote:What is the reason for protecting our historical buildings?

Because they are part of our heritage. They are irreplaceable and historically important. Did France (and other countries) destroy all their historical buildings/sites when they changed their system of government? Now answer my question; why do you think it's irrational to preserve Stonehenge?

Tenacious Tubbs wrote:
EDIT: And can you demonstrate that the monarchy institutionalises privilege into our society, further, that is, than one single family with zero real constitutional power?

Actually in theory the monarchy has a lot of constitutional power but I accept it is in practice a ritual institution at the moment.

It is not just one family either. We have many hereditary titles and hereditary positions in the UK...some of which give people a position in our legislature as a birth right. Then there is the privileged position of the church that is part of the same system. Of course privilege is institutionalised in the United Kingdom.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#262  Postby ED209 » Sep 17, 2015 1:00 pm

I don't agree that the prime minister or leader of the opposition is under any obligation to make public statements of religiosity, but that's probably just because I understand what secularism means.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#263  Postby Briton » Sep 17, 2015 1:04 pm

Just like I'm under no obligation to join in the worshipping when I attend church funerals. I am showing respect in my own way. The people who are using this to bash Corbyn are the ones disrespecting people who fought in the Battle of Britain.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#264  Postby CarlPierce » Sep 17, 2015 1:23 pm

ED209 wrote:I don't agree that the prime minister or leader of the opposition is under any obligation to make public statements of religiosity, but that's probably just because I understand what secularism means.

I rarely agree with you ED but on this one I do 100% why the hell should he have to sing a moronic dirge that he doesn't agree with ?
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#265  Postby Emmeline » Sep 17, 2015 1:29 pm

CarlPierce wrote:
ED209 wrote:I don't agree that the prime minister or leader of the opposition is under any obligation to make public statements of religiosity, but that's probably just because I understand what secularism means.

I rarely agree with you ED but on this one I do 100% why the hell should he have to sing a moronic dirge that he doesn't agree with ?

He doesn't have to. He can choose not to & can't be forced to sing it.
Emmeline

Print view this post

#266  Postby Tenacious Tubbs » Sep 17, 2015 1:36 pm

Briton wrote:
Briton wrote:
Tenacious Tubbs wrote:I've been thinking about this recently - because I have an instinctive fondness for these kinds of ancient customs and theatrics, and the monarchy in general. I just value them as part of our history and heritage, and don't think that they should be thrown away too easily.

I asked myself, why do I value our cultural heritage? Honestly, I couldn't come up with a rational basis. I've read things like "we need know where we've come from to know where we're going", but that's just platitudes. There's no rational reason for not discarding it all and starting over.

Nonetheless, I do value them in the same way I wouldn't want to knock down Stonehenge, or any number of the medieval castles around the UK to build a big Tesco. And I wouldn't to bulldoze our national forests and parks to build social housing. And that's equally irrational at it's core. So sue me, I'm human :grin:

How the fuck is protecting our environment or historical buildings comparable to preserving a hereditary form of government that institutionalises privilege into our society? That's just bonkers.

Tenacious Tubbs wrote:What is the reason for protecting our historical buildings?

Because they are part of our heritage. They are irreplaceable and historically important. Did France (and other countries) destroy all their historical buildings/sites when they changed their system of government? Now answer my question; why do you think it's irrational to preserve Stonehenge?

Actually, I said I couldn't think of a reason to value our heritage, including Stonehenge. Could you provide one?

Briton wrote:
Tenacious Tubbs wrote:
EDIT: And can you demonstrate that the monarchy institutionalises privilege into our society, further, that is, than one single family with zero real constitutional power?

Actually in theory the monarchy has a lot of constitutional power but I accept it is in practice a ritual institution at the moment.

It is not just one family either. We have many hereditary titles and hereditary positions in the UK...some of which give people a position in our legislature as a birth right. Then there is the privileged position of the church that is part of the same system. Of course privilege is institutionalised in the United Kingdom.

Well, I do oppose hereditary governmental positions, but that's because they actually do have constitutional power. If the monarchy had actual constitutional power and exercised it, I would oppose that too. But they don't, so I don't!
Tenacious Tubbs

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#267  Postby ED209 » Sep 17, 2015 1:42 pm

Like miliband before him, corbyn is the only atheist party leader and therefore whether he likes it or not is effectively the spearpoint of secularist progress in westminster. Religious folk can choose to be secularists, but an atheist facing claims that his personal lack of beliefs rules him out of holding office has had the fight brought to him by definition.

Regardless of his party affiliation I reject the assertion that displays of religiosity are some official elements of the job. It's not harmless ceremony or whatever the fuck an apologist for theocracy would call it, it's a very real bar to athiests' representation and participation in government.

If on the other hand it is not participation in an official capacity but a personal one (and how can fucking singing be an official duty of an elected representative) then it has to be left at exactly that, he doesn't believe in god so why should he proclaim otherwise.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#268  Postby Strontium Dog » Sep 17, 2015 1:43 pm

Evolving wrote:What do you think the words mean, then, Strontium Dog?

I'm not sure it's important is it? What matters is what it represents.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#269  Postby mattthomas » Sep 17, 2015 1:45 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:

It represents the belief that out of our entire island of people, only one person should be considered and revered.
mattthomas

Print view this post

#270  Postby Strontium Dog » Sep 17, 2015 1:46 pm

Briton wrote:I never said anyone said it was vitally important so stop your lying trolling.

Why ask me why it's vitally important then if you weren't trying to imply that I believed it to be so?

As always, I leave the lying and the trolling to you.

Briton wrote:You'd think someone who claimed to believe in freedom would defend Corbyn's right to not be forced to conform, rather than join the conservative pack in attacking him for his principled stand.

He has the freedom to not be the Leader of Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition, as does every person in this country. But if you accept that role, you accept the responsibilities that come with it.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#271  Postby mattthomas » Sep 17, 2015 1:48 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:He has the freedom to not be the Leader of Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition, as does every person in this country. But if you accept that role, you accept the responsibilities that come with it.

You'll be able to point to legislation or documentation showing that a role and responsibility of the position is singing the national anthem?
mattthomas

Print view this post

#272  Postby Strontium Dog » Sep 17, 2015 1:48 pm

mattthomas wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:

It represents the belief that out of our entire island of people, only one person should be considered and revered.

That is a somewhat literal interpretation, one I suspect not very many people share.
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#273  Postby ED209 » Sep 17, 2015 1:53 pm

mattthomas wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:He has the freedom to not be the Leader of Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition, as does every person in this country. But if you accept that role, you accept the responsibilities that come with it.

You'll be able to point to legislation or documentation showing that a role and responsibility of the position is singing the national anthem?

And then he'll point to legislation or documentation designating god save the queen as the uk national anthem, both to occur shortly after pigs fly.
ED209

Print view this post

#274  Postby Strontium Dog » Sep 17, 2015 1:56 pm

mattthomas wrote:

No, I can point to the fact that accepting the office of Leader of Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition is at odds with showing contempt for Her Majesty.
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#275  Postby ED209 » Sep 17, 2015 1:58 pm

Thats an extremely conservative (not to mention wrong) belief. I reject the suggestion that republicanism is not a mainstream position wholly deserving of representation, because I understand what democracy and progress mean.
ED209

Print view this post

#276  Postby mattthomas » Sep 17, 2015 2:00 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
mattthomas wrote:

No, I can point to the fact that accepting the office of Leader of Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition is at odds with showing contempt for Her Majesty.

Refusing to big someone up =/= contempt. Happy to clear that up for you :thumbup:
mattthomas

Print view this post

#277  Postby Evolving » Sep 17, 2015 2:17 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:

Trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here, SD. When are the words unimportant?

Jeremy Corbyn might join his local choir, because he likes singing, and it might transpire that this winter they're doing the Messiah. He'd find himself every Monday evening down the community centre singing "The Lord God omnipotent reigneth, For ever and ever, Hallelelujah! Hallelujah!"
You wouldn't expect him to interrupt proceedings at choir practice and say, "Hang on a minute. Not so fast, buster. I'm an atheist, I'll have you know!" That would be silly.

Are the people singing the national anthem at the Cenotaph performing it, like a choir performing the Messiah, because it's a jolly fine piece of music? An interesting take.

Perhaps he could sing "My country, 'tis of thee" to the same melody, if the words are unimportant. And "O Tannenbaum" instead of "The people's flag".
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#278  Postby mattthomas » Sep 17, 2015 2:19 pm

Evolving wrote:Perhaps he could sing "My country, 'tis of thee"

A great fucking tune that would fit the UK, until you get to the last verse :whine:
mattthomas

Print view this post

#279  Postby Briton » Sep 17, 2015 2:45 pm

Briton wrote:
Briton wrote:

Tenacious Tubbs wrote:Actually, I said I couldn't think of a reason to value our heritage, including Stonehenge. Could you provide one?

You seemed to be saying you wanting to keep the monarchy was as irrational as conserving our historical monuments. Well I see nothing irrational in the latter and I'm still waiting for you to explain why you thinking it is.
I can think of several good reasons for 'valuing' our heritage; trying to understand it being good enough reason on it's own to preserve and study it.

Briton wrote:
Tenacious Tubbs wrote:

Tenacious Tubbs wrote:Well, I do oppose hereditary governmental positions, but that's because they actually do have constitutional power.

Right...so you agree that there is institutionalised privileged in the UK.

The Queen has enormous constitutional power. It's convention and circumstance that means she doesn't use it. The monarchy is our final protection against tyranny in theory.

Tenacious Tubbs wrote: If the monarchy had actual constitutional power and exercised it, I would oppose that too. But they don't, so I don't!

They do have power, and, hopefully, they would use it if the circumstances dictated.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#280  Postby Calilasseia » Sep 17, 2015 3:33 pm

Corbyn could easily have stuffed the Tory brat pack by simply saying "my concern was more for those that died in war, than for an unelected figurehead living in an opulent palace. Also, I wouldn't have besmirched Nelson Mandela's funeral by taking a selfie".
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs