Ireland's divisive referendum on same-sex marriage

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Ireland's divisive referendum on same-sex marriage

#201  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 24, 2015 9:14 am

Well the Urban dictionary knew it. Not one I have heard of.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#202  Postby Fallible » May 24, 2015 9:15 am

Yes, the Urban Dictionary.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#203  Postby Spinozasgalt » May 24, 2015 9:15 am

Ohhhh. Now I worry that BooBoo may have meant to offend with the use of the term. This is very unwelcome news.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#204  Postby Fallible » May 24, 2015 9:16 am

DanDare wrote:
Fallible wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:It is derived from the the term "poofter" which is an old term for a homosexual.

I think Spinozasgalt was highlighting the fact that BooBoo spelt it wrong. I'm pretty sure an Australian would know what 'poof' means.

Actually its a term that has just about disappeared from general use here. A lot of derogatory slang has vanished from our culture over the past thirty years or so. I take that as a good sign.

Well good, I'm glad to hear it.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#205  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 24, 2015 9:22 am

It has been a great change. Being called a homo is not a derogatory comment any more.
Just the same as people use hetro, bi or trans. Just a description.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#206  Postby Fallible » May 24, 2015 9:23 am

Spinozasgalt wrote:Ohhhh. Now I worry that BooBoo may have meant to offend with the use of the term. This is very unwelcome news.

Whisht, it's all right, mummy's here.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#207  Postby Spinozasgalt » May 24, 2015 9:32 am

Fallible wrote:
Spinozasgalt wrote:Ohhhh. Now I worry that BooBoo may have meant to offend with the use of the term. This is very unwelcome news.

Whisht, it's all right, mummy's here.

The other day I think I was attracted to another man.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#208  Postby Fallible » May 24, 2015 9:33 am

Get out.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#209  Postby BooBoo » May 24, 2015 9:35 am

Greyman wrote:
A turnout of 61.5% only means the opinion of 38.5% is unknown; but it doesn't matter because they just didn't care enough about whatever it was to express it.

They have been intimidated by the Gay Lobby to remain at home. The fact remains that a majority of the electorate either voted NO or didn't vote for gay marriage. That gives me hope that this capitulation to the gay agenda will be overturned.
BooBoo
Banned Troll

Name: Rowena

Print view this post

#210  Postby Fallible » May 24, 2015 9:36 am

:waah: :waah: :waah:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#211  Postby tuco » May 24, 2015 9:37 am

Hope only prolongs pain as the classic says.
tuco

Print view this post

#212  Postby DaveScriv » May 24, 2015 9:37 am

Paul wrote:
DaveScriv wrote:
Greyman wrote:
BooBoo wrote:Anyway, 62.1% voted yes with a turnout of 61.5%. This means that only a minority (38.2%) actually turned out to vote yes.

Yes, and that 37.9% of voters voted no with a turnout of 61.5% means only 23.3% of the population voted "no". That is a smaller minority.

A turnout of 61.5% only means the opinion of 38.5% is unknown; but it doesn't matter because they just didn't care enough about whatever it was to express it.

Quite so.
A point which the many lefties here should remember with regard to the UK General Election and their comments about only whatever % of the total population actually voted Conservative.

And yes, I'm perfectly aware that in the GE there were more than 2 alternatives, but suggest that most UKIP voters, and the DUP and UUP voters, and some of the remaining LibDem voters preferred Cameron to Miliband as PM if they couldn't have their own guys, so a fallacy to say that everyone who didn't vote Conservative were completely anti Tory.

and as the GE wasn't a single issue poll, it's also a fallacy to suggest that everyone who did vote Tory supported the entire Tory manifesto, but that won't stop Cameron trying to suggest that they did, even though (apparently) some of his cabinet don't.

That's (voters not necessarily supporting everything in a manifesto) always the case regarding every party in every election.

For example, although I'm generally inclined to the political right (Conservative or UKIP, depending on individual policies), when it comes to 'academies' and 'free schools' I agree with Labour, perhaps even more to the left, thinking complete local authority control and planning of schools in each area is the best policy.

Getting back on topic - well done Ireland, especially all those people who went to the trouble and expense of travelling back to vote who are currently living in other countries.

I'm quite enjoying reading the butt hurt comments on US right wing and religious sites.
DaveScriv

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#213  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 24, 2015 9:39 am

BooBoo wrote:
Greyman wrote:

They have been intimidated by the Gay Lobby to remain at home. The fact remains that a majority of the electorate either voted NO or didn't vote for gay marriage. That gives me hope that this capitulation to the gay agenda will be overturned.

Hope in vain. The constitution has been changed understand? What is the gay agenda? Getting rid of the rcc? Hope so.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#214  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 24, 2015 9:41 am

BooBoo wrote:
Greyman wrote:

They have been intimidated by the Gay Lobby to remain at home.

Evidence?
Oh that's right, there isn't any, because that didn't happen.

BooBoo wrote:The fact remains that a majority of the electorate either voted NO or didn't vote for gay marriage.

Incorrect, a majority voted yes or didn't care.

BooBoo wrote: That gives me hope that this capitulation to the gay agenda will be overturned.

What's the gay agenda, pray tell.
Maybe it's because I'm bi, but I still haven't received my revised edition yet. Maybe you can sent me a copy?
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#215  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 24, 2015 9:41 am

And you have not answered my quesitons Booboo.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#216  Postby tuco » May 24, 2015 9:42 am

You got problem now Booboo, I know lol
tuco

Print view this post

#217  Postby Animavore » May 24, 2015 9:43 am

BooBoo wrote:
Greyman wrote:

Lol. Utter bullshit. Why would people be afraid to vote in a secret ballot?

The No's campaign was a monumental failure. They lied, spread misinformation, tried to reframe the debate and inadvertently insulted everyone in a non-traditional family. Irish prople saw their bullshit for what is was and voted for equality.

You may as well suck up those little tears because this won't be overturned.
Last edited by Animavore on May 24, 2015 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#218  Postby catbasket » May 24, 2015 9:44 am

BooBoo wrote:They have been intimidated by the Gay Lobby to remain at home. The fact remains that a majority of the electorate either voted NO or didn't vote for gay marriage. That gives me hope that this capitulation to the gay agenda will be overturned.

They have been intimidated by the Catholic Lobby to remain at home. The fact remains that a vast majority of the electorate either voted YES or didn't vote against gay marriage. That gives me hope that capitulation to the Catholic agenda will soon be completely overturned.
catbasket

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#219  Postby DaveScriv » May 24, 2015 9:46 am

BooBoo wrote:
Greyman wrote:

I don't see how you can justify that comment, considering one constituency voted no, and it was a close run thing in several other rural constituencies. I'm guessing (not being there myself) the social pressure in those places was about even. If turnout had been a few % higher in much of rural Ireland it might not have changed the result, but it could have been a lot closer, say 55:45 or less difference.
DaveScriv

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#220  Postby BooBoo » May 24, 2015 9:48 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Please demonstrate a direct causal link between allowing SSM and:
1. Bestiality.
2. Incest.
3. Polygamy.
After that, please explain why SSM is so immoral.
To help you out a bit: there are exactly 0 countries where SSM has been legalised, where any of the 'doom' slippery slopes you've asserted, have occured.
We've had SSM for over 10 years here and society still thrives, no-one's allowed to fuck, much less marry animals, or their relatives or multiple people.

If you accept the principle of "equality" then you cannot discriminate against consenting adults who want to marry their first cousins, children or siblings (i.e incest). You also cannot discriminate those who wish to marry more than one person. Why should love between individuals be restricted only to couples? In fact, allowing gay marriage whilst forbidding polygamy is ridiculous as the latter can produce children whereas the former cannot. It would be utterly hypocritical of the liberal goonies. Bestial marriages have already taken place in the United States: http://naijagists.com/bizarre-wedding-p ... alifornia/

SSM is immoral because it recognizes homosexuality - once treated as a mental illness by professionals - as being of equal worth as heterosexuality. That is something that makes no biological or social sense. It will serve to undermine the institution of marriage and the family as the natural result of marriage. Married gay couples will now insist on equal rights to adoption, tax breaks and so on.
BooBoo
Banned Troll

Name: Rowena

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs