Ireland's divisive referendum on same-sex marriage

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Ireland's divisive referendum on same-sex marriage

#181  Postby Spinozasgalt » May 24, 2015 4:16 am

BooBoo wrote:A truly disgraceful decision: the land of saints and scholars has become the land of fairies and puffs. Now, we can expect to see incestuous and poly-amorous couples being given the right to marry. The moral decline of the West continues.

Soon even the homosexuals will be gay.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#182  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » May 24, 2015 5:27 am

Good to see homophobia is kosher here.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#183  Postby Matt8819 » May 24, 2015 5:57 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Good to see homophobia is kosher here.

?

Not a single person is taking that comment seriously, and it has an open report on it. Give it more than five hours, maybe?
Matt8819
RS Donator

Name: Matt
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#184  Postby tuco » May 24, 2015 6:28 am

BooBoo wrote:
tuco wrote:If anyone wanted to piss on your parade, anyone could take this pic:

Can someone explain to me why homosexual relationships are of "equal" worth with heterosexual ones? One makes biological and social sense whereas the other clearly does not.

And you are quoting me in attempt to get answer?

I will explain it to you then. The institution of marriage is discriminatory institution and relic from our past and should be abolished. Only by abolishing it all relationships can be equal. This small victory only confirms global trend following sexual revolution and has little significance to the concept of all relationships being equal as there are probably more relationships being practiced outside of the institution of marriage than homosexual relationships.

However, people seem to enjoy even small victories, especially when there is sense of say revolution. Though the spirit of revolution and wet eyes will evaporate quickly lets go YOLO.
tuco

Print view this post

#185  Postby Animavore » May 24, 2015 6:44 am

BooBoo wrote:A truly disgraceful decision: the land of saints and scholars has become the land of fairies and puffs. Now, we can expect to see incestuous and poly-amorous couples being given the right to marry. The moral decline of the West continues.

Actually, they're leprechauns.

Your bitter tears carving v-shape valleys down your cheeks, and those like you, is my secondary reason for voting Yes. Only the Germans have a word to convey the emotion I'm feeling right now. Thanks for making my day.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#186  Postby Animavore » May 24, 2015 6:59 am

Also, "poly-amorous couples" Lol.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#187  Postby monkeyboy » May 24, 2015 7:20 am

BooBoo wrote:
tuco wrote:If anyone wanted to piss on your parade, anyone could take this pic:

Can someone explain to me why homosexual relationships are of "equal" worth with heterosexual ones? One makes biological and social sense whereas the other clearly does not.

Well, I see it like this. In a heterosexual relationship there are two people. In an ideal world, they love each other and what they get up to behind their bedroom door, nobody gives a shit about providing no harm is done.
In a homosexual relationship, there are two people. In an ideal world, they too love each other and what they get up to behind their bedroom door ought not to concern anyone else either but for some reason it does.

For all you know, the respectable heterosexual couple next door's sex life involves him dressing up like a baby, being spanked for wiping poo all over himself before being rogered rotten by a huge strap on. But they're married, heterosexual etc so it makes biological sense? Not necessarily. Not all heterosexual relationships are about being baby factories. People express their love in lots of imaginative ways.

The homosexual relationship might not make biological sense to you, they won't be breeding naturally I guess is your argument. So fucking what? We're overpopulated as a planet anyway. Denying people the right to marry won't change their sexuality. Allowing marriage acknowledges that the majority of the population (at least of Ireland) are willing to see the end of homophobic bigotry in their country, give everyone the same rights as people regardless of which gender they are attracted to and wish to marry.

Oh, congrats Ireland!! :thumbup:
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#188  Postby DaveScriv » May 24, 2015 7:43 am

Greyman wrote:
BooBoo wrote:Anyway, 62.1% voted yes with a turnout of 61.5%. This means that only a minority (38.2%) actually turned out to vote yes.

Yes, and that 37.9% of voters voted no with a turnout of 61.5% means only 23.3% of the population voted "no". That is a smaller minority.

A turnout of 61.5% only means the opinion of 38.5% is unknown; but it doesn't matter because they just didn't care enough about whatever it was to express it.

Quite so.
A point which the many lefties here should remember with regard to the UK General Election and their comments about only whatever % of the total population actually voted Conservative.

And yes, I'm perfectly aware that in the GE there were more than 2 alternatives, but suggest that most UKIP voters, and the DUP and UUP voters, and some of the remaining LibDem voters preferred Cameron to Miliband as PM if they couldn't have their own guys, so a fallacy to say that everyone who didn't vote Conservative were completely anti Tory.
DaveScriv

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#189  Postby Briton » May 24, 2015 8:14 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
BooBoo wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote::rofl:

No joke. I forgot to also mention bestial relationships being recognized by the State.

Please demonstrate a direct causal link between allowing SSM and:
1. Bestiality.
2. Incest.
3. Polygamy.
After that, please explain why SSM is so immoral.

The only link between those actions and SSM is in the bigoted minds of people like BooBoo.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#190  Postby Paul » May 24, 2015 8:19 am

DaveScriv wrote:
Greyman wrote:
BooBoo wrote:Anyway, 62.1% voted yes with a turnout of 61.5%. This means that only a minority (38.2%) actually turned out to vote yes.

Yes, and that 37.9% of voters voted no with a turnout of 61.5% means only 23.3% of the population voted "no". That is a smaller minority.

A turnout of 61.5% only means the opinion of 38.5% is unknown; but it doesn't matter because they just didn't care enough about whatever it was to express it.

Quite so.
A point which the many lefties here should remember with regard to the UK General Election and their comments about only whatever % of the total population actually voted Conservative.

And yes, I'm perfectly aware that in the GE there were more than 2 alternatives, but suggest that most UKIP voters, and the DUP and UUP voters, and some of the remaining LibDem voters preferred Cameron to Miliband as PM if they couldn't have their own guys, so a fallacy to say that everyone who didn't vote Conservative were completely anti Tory.

and as the GE wasn't a single issue poll, it's also a fallacy to suggest that everyone who did vote Tory supported the entire Tory manifesto, but that won't stop Cameron trying to suggest that they did, even though (apparently) some of his cabinet don't.
"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#191  Postby Fallible » May 24, 2015 8:47 am

Hoo! Came crashing through the undergrowth and out into the open shouting 'chase me' with that one, didn't you. Reminds me slightly of that bit in The Fifth Element where the alien can't keep his human disguise together and is forced to fight airport security with guns instead of slipping past. Not getting enough attention with the more subtle trolling?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#192  Postby Spinozasgalt » May 24, 2015 8:56 am

Hopefully I won't harm my street cred by asking, but...what's a 'puff'?

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#193  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 24, 2015 9:00 am

It is derived from the the term "poofter" which is an old term for a homosexual.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#194  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 24, 2015 9:02 am

Urban dictionary:

puff
a man who is gay or is acting really queerly.
1. will young is a puff
2. stop acting like a puff!!!
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#195  Postby DanDare » May 24, 2015 9:02 am

Now we just have to get the stupid Oztralian government to realise that they are out of step with both Ireland and the majority of Ozzie citizens. Its a federal law change here, much simpler than changing a constitutional matter.
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight
DanDare
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#196  Postby Fallible » May 24, 2015 9:04 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:It is derived from the the term "poofter" which is an old term for a homosexual.

I think Spinozasgalt was highlighting the fact that BooBoo spelt it wrong. I'm pretty sure an Australian would know what 'poof' means.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#197  Postby DanDare » May 24, 2015 9:08 am

Fallible wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:It is derived from the the term "poofter" which is an old term for a homosexual.

I think Spinozasgalt was highlighting the fact that BooBoo spelt it wrong. I'm pretty sure an Australian would know what 'poof' means.

Actually its a term that has just about disappeared from general use here. A lot of derogatory slang has vanished from our culture over the past thirty years or so. I take that as a good sign.
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight
DanDare
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#198  Postby Spinozasgalt » May 24, 2015 9:10 am

Is it pronounced 'puff' or 'poof'? Are they supposed to be the same word?

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#199  Postby Briton » May 24, 2015 9:12 am

Spinozasgalt wrote:Is it pronounced 'puff' or 'poof'? Are they supposed to be the same word?

It's pronounced poof(ter).
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#200  Postby DougC » May 24, 2015 9:13 am

Poof.
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC