Israel & Palestine: Your Opinions?

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Where does your support lie in the conflict between Israel & Palestine?

1) I strongly support Israel.
9%
2) My sympathies lean towards Israel.
20%
3) I'm pretty much in the middle.
14%
4) My sympathies lean towards Palestine.
28%
5) I strongly support Palestine.
20%
6) I'm not sure what my opinion is on this issue.
9%

Total votes : 69

Re: Israel & Palestine: Your Opinions?

#1221  Postby Tortured_Genius » Apr 14, 2024 3:39 pm

Agi Hammerthief wrote:hopefully Israel will respect Irans right to defend itself.

Of course.

The restrained and peace-loving leaders of both countries would never engage in an endless cycle of retaliation.

That would be silly.

It's not like they would both profit politically from their countries being locked in perpetual conflict.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1222  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Apr 14, 2024 4:06 pm

Tortured_Genius wrote:
Agi Hammerthief wrote:hopefully Israel will respect Irans right to defend itself.

Of course.

The restrained and peace-loving leaders of both countries would never engage in an endless cycle of retaliation.

That would be silly.

It's not like they would both profit politically from their countries being locked in perpetual conflict.

short of 2000 dead from the attacks on Israel on October 7,
>20000 dead in the counter
people are starving and Israel isn’t even done shooting yet.

16 dead from the strike on the embassy (Iranian soil)
one person injured on the retaliation
and Iran is saying „that’s settled as far as we are concerned.“

the second sounds like a well measured response to me.

Israel should send the clothes of that injured person to Iran as the only response:
„you fired 200 rockets at us and all you got is this bloody T-shirt.“
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#1223  Postby Tortured_Genius » Apr 14, 2024 6:51 pm

Agi Hammerthief wrote:
Israel should send the clothes of that injured person to Iran as the only response:

This would be a statesman-like response that would thoroughly make the point without unnecessary bloodshed.

But this is Netanyahu we're talking about.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1224  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Apr 15, 2024 6:56 pm

Tortured_Genius wrote:
Agi Hammerthief wrote:

This would be a statesman-like response that would thoroughly make the point without unnecessary bloodshed.

idk
personally I wouldn’t think of that as statesman like, rather an equal amount of petty and witty that is designed to make the Iranian Regime regret announcing they consider the matter settled.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#1225  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 15, 2024 7:16 pm

There's a bit of a meme making the rounds, lately, but I think some wiseacre is just gherkin off:

Details at 11:

Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#1226  Postby Calilasseia » Apr 27, 2024 2:37 am

Meanwhile ... the UN reports that over 200 dead Palestinians have been found in mass graves at Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis, central Gaza.

Disturbing reports continue to emerge about mass graves in Gaza in which Palestinian victims were reportedly found stripped naked with their hands tied, prompting renewed concerns about possible war crimes amid ongoing Israeli airstrikes, the UN human rights office, OHCHR, said on Tuesday.

The development follows the recovery of hundreds of bodies “buried deep in the ground and covered with waste” over the weekend at Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis, central Gaza, and at Al-Shifa Hospital in Gaza City in the north. A total of 283 bodies were recovered at Nasser Hospital, of which 42 were identified.

“Among the deceased were allegedly older people, women and wounded, while others were found tied with their hands…tied and stripped of their clothes,” said Ravina Shamdasani, spokesperson for the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.

Later on, we have this:

“The latest images of a premature child taken from the womb of her dying mother, of the adjacent two houses where 15 children and five women were killed, this is beyond warfare,” said Mr. Türk.

Wonder what the apologists will concoct to hand-wave away this?
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1227  Postby Calilasseia » Apr 30, 2024 1:18 pm

That data keeps coming ... this time courtesy of The Times of Israel, vix:

“You need to understand that Netanyahu set up Hirsch’s team because the Prime Minister’s Office didn’t want there to be an external body criticizing the government for its conduct surrounding the hostages.”

Who did you meet with to advance the hostages’ return?

“The first official we met was President Isaac Herzog. It was on October 10. At the time, the reported death toll from the attack was only 400. We asked him to use his influence so that there would be someone in the government taking care of the families.”

“The main reason is the prime minister’s refusal. On the one hand, Netanyahu has told the families that the price” — likely the release of countless Palestinian terror convicts — “isn’t a factor. On the other hand, he’s holding onto all sorts of security excuses to prevent a deal.”

“There is no doubt that Netanyahu is preventing a deal. Netanyahu knows that if he goes to elections at this time he won’t be able to form a new government, and he is motivated by cold political considerations.”

Rubinstein rejected claims leveled against him of “politicizing” the hostage families’ cause: “The opposite is true: Netanyahu’s people were the only ones making it political.”)

And of course, it's now been announced that the International Criminal Court is gearing up to issue an arrest warrant for Netanyahu, with possible charges of war crimes attached. Better late than never I suppose.
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1228  Postby Tortured_Genius » Apr 30, 2024 6:16 pm

And now:Gaza: Israeli PM Netanyahu says Rafah attack will happen regardless of deal (BBC)

Reports were that they were close to a substantive ceasefire, which I'm guessing is not going to happen on Bennie's watch.
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1229  Postby CarlPierce » May 04, 2024 1:58 am

Endgame i see a huge shift against israel. Gone will be the entitlement.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1230  Postby Calilasseia » May 05, 2024 9:52 pm

Now here's an event that I suspect no one saw coming ...

Israeli security forces arrest the guard of the Greek Consul, as the latter attends the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in East Jerusalem.

Greece’s main opposition SYRIZA party said Saturday that it demands an explanation from the Foreign Ministry for the arrest of the bodyguard of the Greek general consular of Jerusalem.

“SYRIZA - PS requests the immediate provision of clarifications from the foreign ministry regarding the unprecedented incident of the arrest of a member of the guard of the Consul General of Greece in Jerusalem by the Israeli forces at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, during the ceremony of the Touching of the Holy Light,” it said in a statement.

A little later, we have this:

Earlier Saturday, Israeli police forcibly removed and arrested the Greek consul's guard in occupied East Jerusalem while inside the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.

Wonder what duplicitous political apologetics will be concocted by Netanyahu and his cronies to try and taint the Greek Consul and his guard as "Hamas terrorists"? Oh wait, at least they weren't shot or bombed.
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1231  Postby Calilasseia » May 06, 2024 12:17 am

Meanwhile, in a move that comes as no surprise whatsoever ... Israeli security forces have raided Al-Jazeera's Jerusalem operation and shut it down.

Already, international protests against this are mounting, including this from the UN:

The UN's Human Rights office also called the Israeli government to reverse the ban, posting on X: "A free & independent media is essential to ensuring transparency & accountability. Now, even more so given tight restrictions on reporting from Gaza."

This latest move is consistent with Netanyahu's repeatedly displayed penchant for skulduggery and duplicitous political apologetics, not to mention his rampantly fascist attitude toward opponents.
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1232  Postby CarlPierce » May 06, 2024 1:55 am

The greek episode is a ridiculous example of thuggery. Closing newschannels isnt accountability. No doubt the greek guard was anti-semite
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1233  Postby Calilasseia » May 07, 2024 6:38 pm

So, Hamas agrees to a ceasefire, but Netanyahu still sends the tanks into Rafah ...

If this doesn't make it explicit that Netanyahu is out to exterminate Palestinians, what will?
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs