Liberal Democrat Watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Liberal Democrat Watch

#1421  Postby mcgruff » Aug 07, 2015 11:44 pm

"Dissolution honours". No shit.
mcgruff

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1422  Postby THWOTH » Aug 08, 2015 12:56 am

DaveD wrote:Image

In the meantime Falon has decided to 'draw on the talents' of Alistair Carmichael in his newly appointed role as the party's 'expert' on civil liberties. Let's hope he's at liberty to do so come September.

http://www.libdems.org.uk/tim_farron_re ... rat_leader
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1423  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 08, 2015 1:02 am

Since this risible attempt at subverting democracy to oust one of the few remaining anti-fascist politicians north of the border is doomed to epic failure, hopefully leaving the enemies of liberty who initiated it considerably out of pocket, I shouldn't think that devotees of freedom have much to worry about on that score.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#1424  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 08, 2015 6:00 am

Strontium Dog wrote:Since this risible attempt at subverting democracy to oust one of the few remaining anti-fascist politicians north of the border is doomed to epic failure, hopefully leaving the enemies of liberty who initiated it considerably out of pocket, I shouldn't think that devotees of freedom have much to worry about on that score.

:rofl: What a lovely turn of phrase SD. Reminds me of the cold war rhetoric of "The Voice of America" and "Radio Moscow" on the short wave. One phrase that was always used by RM to describe the "allies"; "The United States and its running dogs" as a kid it always stuck in my mind. VoA always called the USSR as the opponent of capitalism and freedom and they used the undefinable term liberty as often as you do.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1425  Postby ronmcd » Aug 08, 2015 10:18 am

Strontium Dog wrote:Since this risible attempt at subverting democracy to oust one of the few remaining anti-fascist politicians north of the border is doomed to epic failure, hopefully leaving the enemies of liberty who initiated it considerably out of pocket, I shouldn't think that devotees of freedom have much to worry about on that score.

Beyond a joke. Genuinely deeply unpleasant.

How are you getting on compiling that list of your family and friends (not necessarily in politics) who you regard as "fascists" for not agreeing with your view on drug decriminalisation? Unless your use of fascist isn't what you claimed, and was just a casual smear against a social democratic politician in Scotland?
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1426  Postby ronmcd » Aug 08, 2015 10:22 am

Strontium Dog wrote:Since this risible attempt at subverting democracy ...

Subverting democracy : leaking a memo during the purdah period in an attempt to damage a political opponent in that election, denying it to the camera knowing the truth would be revealed by an investigation, being reelected, then admitting you're a liar after the investigation. Pockets huge salary for 5 years, appointed party spokesperson on home affairs.

Staggering.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1427  Postby chairman bill » Aug 08, 2015 10:29 am

Fucking hell. Words fail me. The depth of idiocy & ignorance is too profound. Words do not adequately describe just how fuckwittedly stupid & ignorant this post is. Even the picture of the little girl, pointing & laughing, isn't enough, because when I clicked preview, she was crying & shaking her head woefully, reconising that she just didn't cut it anymore. Poor lass. I deleted her. It was an act of kindness.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1428  Postby ED209 » Aug 08, 2015 10:38 am

If carmichael is an anti-fascist, does that mean he is in favour of denying pro-independence scots british status, or opposed to it? It's all very confusing.

Perhaps he should be asked. Legal troubles aside, his job is safe for a few years so he wouldn't really need to lie through his fucking teeth again like he had to in order to get elected in the first place.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#1429  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 08, 2015 11:46 am

ronmcd wrote:Beyond a joke. Genuinely deeply unpleasant.

The only thing that is unpleasant is the way in which some want to turn Scotland into a one party state, having failed to con the people in a handful of constituencies, and the extent to which they will go to subvert the democratic process in their attempts.

ronmcd wrote:How are you getting on compiling that list of your family and friends (not necessarily in politics) who you regard as "fascists" for not agreeing with your view on drug decriminalisation? Unless your use of fascist isn't what you claimed, and was just a casual smear against a social democratic politician in Scotland?

I already told you about 15 times that none of them are fascists. Is there a delay on the line to Scotland or something?
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#1430  Postby chairman bill » Aug 08, 2015 11:46 am

Fucking children, hiring a hitman to kill your gay lover, losing it over baldness & so fucking rent boys to work out the issue, getting your wife to perjure herself on your behalf, and lying to help get elected. Bastions of liberty, the very embodiment of freedom.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1431  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 08, 2015 11:54 am

Oh look, it's unproven allegations time again. And I missed the part where having sex with rent boys was anti-freedom.

Nobody's going to defend the trading of penalty points, but if you're going to jail everyone who does it, you better build a dozen more prisons.

So far as lying to get elected is concerned... well, that's clear nonsense, isn't it. Surely nobody in their right mind believes that Carmichael accurately leaking the contents of a memo had a material effect on any election result.
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#1432  Postby ronmcd » Aug 08, 2015 12:06 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
So far as lying to get elected is concerned... well, that's clear nonsense, isn't it. Surely nobody in their right mind believes that Carmichael accurately leaking the contents of a memo had a material effect on any election result.

He was the source of the leak, which Scottish voters rightly think (not just SNP) was an attempt to damage Sturgeon a day or two after her excellent performance in the UK leaders debate. If he had then admitted it was him when asked, would he have won in Shetland and Orkney, with a small majority? Or would enough people have switched?

We don't know, because he LIED to the Channel 4 cameras. That is the lie.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1433  Postby ronmcd » Aug 08, 2015 12:09 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
ronmcd wrote:Beyond a joke. Genuinely deeply unpleasant.

The only thing that is unpleasant is the way in which some want to turn Scotland into a one party state, having failed to con the people in a handful of constituencies, and the extent to which they will go to subvert the democratic process in their attempts.

If Sturgeon had been standing against Carmichael in his constituency, he would be legally liable and would be removed. Fact. His only defence, the one that will likely save him, is the target of the smear *during the purdah period* was Sturgeon. THAT was an attempt, successful, to subvert the democratic process.

Strontium Dog wrote:
ronmcd wrote:How are you getting on compiling that list of your family and friends (not necessarily in politics) who you regard as "fascists" for not agreeing with your view on drug decriminalisation? Unless your use of fascist isn't what you claimed, and was just a casual smear against a social democratic politician in Scotland?

I already told you about 15 times that none of them are fascists. Is there a delay on the line to Scotland or something?

By what definition of fascist? The same one you use singularly for SNP and Sturgeon, or some other definition which excuses your own family members from falling under the same definition?
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1434  Postby ronmcd » Aug 08, 2015 12:12 pm

Also - Scotland isn't a one party state, it's just a consequence of the discredited FPTP system that means most Scottish MPs are from one party.

As they were during Labour governments, but, you know, that's obviously different. Somehow. Or something. Fascists!

edit - just read this comment on twitter:
A one party state is when opposition is banned - not when the opposition is f***ing useless.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1435  Postby mcgruff » Aug 08, 2015 2:38 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:Surely nobody in their right mind believes that Carmichael accurately leaking the contents of a memo had a material effect on any election result.

Spoken like the slippery little cunt who leaked the email. It doesn't matter what the memo said. The point is that a false account of the meeting was used to attack Sturgeon during an election campaign.

It wouldn't even matter if it didn't have any "material effect" (yeah right..) it's still a deliberate attempt to subvert the democratic process.
mcgruff

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1436  Postby ronmcd » Aug 08, 2015 3:21 pm

mcgruff wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:Surely nobody in their right mind believes that Carmichael accurately leaking the contents of a memo had a material effect on any election result.

Spoken like the slippery little cunt who leaked the email. It doesn't matter what the memo said. The point is that a false account of the meeting was used to attack Sturgeon during an election campaign.

It wouldn't even matter if it didn't have any "material effect" (yeah right..) it's still a deliberate attempt to subvert the democratic process.

And one that against his constituency opponent, rather than Sturgeon, would have meant he would definitely have been kicked out.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1437  Postby chairman bill » Aug 08, 2015 4:55 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:Oh look, it's unproven allegations time again.

Tell me about the convicted war criminal, Tony Blair
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1438  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 08, 2015 7:17 pm

ronmcd wrote:If Sturgeon had been standing against Carmichael in his constituency, he would be legally liable and would be removed.

That's not a given by any means. However, it's completely irrelevant, because he wasn't standing against Sturgeon.

chairman bill wrote:Tell me about the convicted war criminal, Tony Blair

As we know, Tony Blair has been convicted of as many war crimes as Adolf Hitler.
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#1439  Postby chairman bill » Aug 08, 2015 7:51 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
chairman bill wrote:Tell me about the convicted war criminal, Tony Blair

As we know, Tony Blair has been convicted of as many war crimes as Adolf Hitler.

Hitler was never in a situation where he could face trial. But your double standards are of course not amenable to rationality
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1440  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 09, 2015 3:19 am

chairman bill wrote:Hitler was never in a situation where he could face trial.

And neither is Tony Blair. Anyone who thinks he could ever be tried for anything is in dreamland.

chairman bill wrote:But your double standards are of course not amenable to rationality

I don't have double standards, just real ones.
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs