President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#19461  Postby felltoearth » Jun 16, 2020 7:36 pm

Mike_L wrote:No street fair is complete without assault rifles...

Oh noes, left wing black people asserting their 2A rights.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19462  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jun 16, 2020 7:42 pm

Creeps me out but packing heat seems a pretty normal part of American political activism whether it's right wingers protesting business closures they consider unjust or left wingers protesting entrenched racism.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19463  Postby Seabass » Jun 16, 2020 8:12 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Creeps me out but packing heat seems a pretty normal part of American political activism whether it's right wingers protesting business closures they consider unjust or left wingers protesting entrenched racism.

I rarely see those on the left with guns. Almost never, in fact. The armed ones are pretty much always right-wing militia and/or fascist types.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#19464  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jun 16, 2020 8:54 pm

There are definitely people inside Chaz armed with assault rifles. I agree it's a more common feature of right wing activism in the US. It doesn't surprise me to see it at a left-leaning gathering anywhere in the US though.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19465  Postby The_Metatron » Jun 17, 2020 2:55 am

The_Piper wrote:The recent pushback from some current and former members of the armed forces isn't quite reassuring, but it gives a glimmer of hope that they won't back Trump if he refuses to leave office or any other number of unconstitutional crap. Hopefully that's true.

Few people understand the contempt I have for these people. Fuckers didn't have the guts to live by their consciences until now?

This retired US Air Force senior NCO was making my voice heard on the feuhrer since the day candidate feuhrer mocked the disable reporter. It took these fuckers until now to just get it? I don't share that glimmer of hope from these people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19466  Postby The_Metatron » Jun 17, 2020 2:55 am

The_Piper wrote:The recent pushback from some current and former members of the armed forces isn't quite reassuring, but it gives a glimmer of hope that they won't back Trump if he refuses to leave office or any other number of unconstitutional crap. Hopefully that's true.

Few people understand the contempt I have for these people. Fuckers didn't have the guts to live by their consciences until now?

This retired US Air Force senior NCO was making my voice heard on the feuhrer since the day candidate feuhrer mocked the disable reporter. It took these fuckers until now to just get it? I don't share that glimmer of hope from these people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19467  Postby The_Piper » Jun 17, 2020 3:34 am

That sucks. Let's hope it doesn't come up, and if it does, we're pleasantly surprised. Maybe we'll get lucky and his sniffing, or Covid-19 will make it a moot point. Obviously if he croaks, half of the right will claim foul play. We're just screwed.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19468  Postby Mike_L » Jun 17, 2020 6:58 am

felltoearth wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jr0ILcX9hY

Did you watch the video?
It's about handouts of assault rifles to people whose weapons experience is probably limited to 'Call of Duty' or weekend paintball.
The rifle recipient shown in the video is white. He's young (likely not of legal age to carry such a firearm). He fumbles with it, causing some consternation to those around him.
What happens when one of these twits decides to take a pot-shot at a cop?
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#19469  Postby aufbahrung » Jun 17, 2020 7:17 am

Trump needs a major war to re-direct everyone's aim to a common cause in American interests. No chance of that happening though is there?
“Ne vous mêlez pas du pain”
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19470  Postby Mike_L » Jun 17, 2020 7:22 am

I suppose an incident in the Strait of Hormuz could suddenly just happen to happen...
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#19471  Postby Hermit » Jun 17, 2020 8:34 am

aufbahrung wrote:Trump needs a major war to re-direct everyone's aim to a common cause in American interests. No chance of that happening though is there?

It's easy enough to manufacture a trigger for one. The Gleiwitz incident comes to mind. Also, the Gulf of Tonkin incident.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#19472  Postby felltoearth » Jun 17, 2020 11:05 am

Mike_L wrote:
felltoearth wrote:

Did you watch the video?
It's about handouts of assault rifles to people whose weapons experience is probably limited to 'Call of Duty' or weekend paintball.
The rifle recipient shown in the video is white. He's young (likely not of legal age to carry such a firearm). He fumbles with it, causing some consternation to those around him.

I agree. It’s quite the debacle. Still, it’s his right to have one.

felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19473  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jun 17, 2020 12:39 pm

felltoearth wrote:
Mike_L wrote:
felltoearth wrote:

Did you watch the video?

I agree. It’s quite the debacle. Still, it’s his right to have one.

First thought: That ups the stakes something chronic.

Second thought: Given the subject and how it was filmed and uploaded I'm pretty damn sure the overwhelming purpose was to cause cognitive dissonance to certain right-wing demographics and highlight the insanity of the state's gun laws.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19474  Postby The_Piper » Jun 17, 2020 2:39 pm

If I was a cop I'd be more worried about right wing extremists. They tend to be knowledgable with their weapons.
On Tuesday, federal law enforcement officials announced that they were charging Air Force Sgt. Steven Carrillo, 32, the alleged owner of that vest, and suspected accomplice Robert A. Justus Jr., 30, of Millbrae in the May 29 shooting death of a federal security officer in Oakland.

Officials said Carrillo, who also faces state charges in the June 6 killing of a Santa Cruz sheriff’s deputy, was a follower of the “boogaloo” movement, which a federal complaint said is not a fixed group but includes people who identify themselves as militia and target perceived government tyranny.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-06-16/suspects-charged-killing-santa-cruz-cop-and-oakland-federal-officer
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19475  Postby The_Metatron » Jun 17, 2020 4:18 pm

Mike_L wrote:
felltoearth wrote:

Did you watch the video?

I know, man. Scary, isn't it?

That second amendment is a motherfucker, isn't it? I hear comments like yours from gun nuts here. It's so full of shit it's hard to describe. Particularly from the 2A fanatics who resist any form of skill licensing or secured storage for their weapons. But, the video gamers have to get some training before they carry a rifle?

Does anyone else note how now, these same fucking weapons the gun-nuts insisted weren't assault rifles, are suddenly called assault rifles if carried by someone else?

The facts probably are that those video gamers actually have some skill at tactics. Guns aren't rocket science. Weapons proficiency is easy to get, especially when highly motivated to get it.

Motherfuckers should be afraid of this. It's exactly what they wanted, just not under their control. And that scares the piss out of these assholes.

They wanted a return to the good old days of gunslinging, they fucking have it now. Like this was ever going to land elsewhere.
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19476  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jun 17, 2020 6:47 pm

Like Jesses said, it's really not too difficult for someone to pick up the basics of using a firearm to hit a target, less than a couple of minutes. (Actually, now I think of it, as a 14 year-old cadet at my very first "taster" summer camp I was shooting the first No. 4 Lee-Enfield I'd been handed within 5 minutes).

Now knowing all the other stuff surrounding the use of weapons, most important of all WHEN the use the firearm is appropriate is a whole different ballgame.

Ironically this whole shit-storm kicked off because US police training doesn't seem to cover that to an acceptable standard.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19477  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jun 18, 2020 12:58 am

The_Metatron wrote:
Does anyone else note how now, these same fucking weapons the gun-nuts insisted weren't assault rifles, are suddenly called assault rifles if carried by someone else?

The facts probably are that those video gamers actually have some skill at tactics. Guns aren't rocket science. Weapons proficiency is easy to get, especially when highly motivated to get it.

Motherfuckers should be afraid of this. It's exactly what they wanted, just not under their control. And that scares the piss out of these assholes.

They wanted a return to the good old days of gunslinging, they fucking have it now. Like this was ever going to land elsewhere.

This is my issue.

This is what they wanted. Devout defenders of the second amendment who insisted it's a matter or self-defence so no one needs to wait on the police and is essential to enable uprising when government overreach occurs are now whining about how dangerous it is that people are armed.

"Firearms are only dangerous in the hands of people I disagree with politically" isn't a position founded in anything. Civilians carrying automatic rifles at a public event is either acceptable or its not. Saying it's militant and inherently dangerous either pertains to lockdown protestors AND the folks at CHAZ or it doesn't.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19478  Postby Caper » Jun 18, 2020 2:57 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:

This is my issue.

This is what they wanted. Devout defenders of the second amendment who insisted it's a matter or self-defence so no one needs to wait on the police and is essential to enable uprising when government overreach occurs are now whining about how dangerous it is that people are armed.

"Firearms are only dangerous in the hands of people I disagree with politically" isn't a position founded in anything. Civilians carrying automatic rifles at a public event is either acceptable or its not. Saying it's militant and inherently dangerous either pertains to lockdown protestors AND the folks at CHAZ or it doesn't.

Consistency, what a concept!
Caper

Name: Glenn Smith

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19479  Postby Seabass » Jun 18, 2020 5:25 am

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#19480  Postby Animavore » Jun 18, 2020 5:38 am

Bolton Claims Trump Encouraged Xi To Build ‘Concentration Camps’ For Uighurs
In an excerpt of his new book, the former national security advisor details the president’s complicated relationship with the Chinese leader Xi Jinping.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bolton-b ... br9_EloCGY

Believable? Absolutely, 100%.

True? Hmmm.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs