President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#5281  Postby willhud9 » Apr 04, 2017 2:55 am

Willie71 wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
Animavore wrote:I'm reading an alarming number of stories of people - liberals, the LGBT community - arming themselves out of fear. I really hope this doesn't escalate.

I just spent a day with a gay black man, and he and I held hands in public, and kissed a few times. We got a few looks, but probably because I'm devilishly handsome and people have to do double takes.

I'm honestly not scared. :dunno:

This seems to be a pattern in your posting: "I haven't personally experienced xxxxxx, so it isn't as bad as others report."

Other people have experienced horrific consequences at the hands of various state authorities. Families have been decimated, innocent civilians killed, people held in custody without due process, torture, and even execution. But you haven't personally experienced it, so you have nothing to be afraid of? Complacency results in the worst atrocities humans are capable of. As the old adage ends, who will be left when they come for you?

You need to get off your fucking high horse and reread what Animavore posted and what I said in response.

Furthermore, you need to actually take a step back and stop putting words into my mouth. Not only does this show your dishonesty, but it is also one of the laziest forms of dialogue.

Now if you can actually get your thoughts back out of the shit you seem to like regurgitating on this forum then you can understand that a) I have no love or appreciation for Donald Trump b) I have no sympathy for discrimination or hatred towards people.

I am a proud and active member in the LGBTQ community and my response was that those "stories" of liberals and LGBTQ members arming themselves are nothing more than non-stories. Different areas experience different pressures. Here in Richmond, Virginia, it is pretty common nowadays to see open gay and lesbian couples. Do we have fear? All the fucking time, and not because of Donald Trump or this presidency. We have fear because we are still misunderstood by the general population.

So when I walked hand in hand with the guy I was on a date with (and an interracial one at that) did I have fear? Initially yes. Until I realized I have nothing to be afraid of and living my life as if I was afraid is not a good, nor healthy way to engage in relationships. So the world can accept me or reject me, I don't care.

Same goes for my liberal views.

Does this mean people aren't experiencing hardships? Nope. Never said that. But for the most part the LGBT community is not facing massive hardships overall. Those stories are exceptions. Not the rule.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5282  Postby Agrippina » Apr 04, 2017 6:33 am

The_Piper wrote:
Agrippina wrote:
crank wrote:Well, this is great, and a, possible, turning point [again], a 4-day series of LA Times editorials, this is serious, no pulled punches editorializing:
Part 1 today: Our Dishonest President

Too hard to pick one quote, but here a bit of it

What is most worrisome about Trump is Trump himself. He is a man so unpredictable, so reckless, so petulant, so full of blind self-regard, so untethered to reality that it is impossible to know where his presidency will lead or how much damage he will do to our nation. His obsession with his own fame, wealth and success, his determination to vanquish enemies real and imagined, his craving for adulation — these traits were, of course, at the very heart of his scorched-earth outsider campaign; indeed, some of them helped get him elected. But in a real presidency in which he wields unimaginable power, they are nothing short of disastrous.

I've given up hope. I wake up every Monday morning thinking it would be nice to turn on the news and not see another weekend spent golfing, but a weekend where an orange man is sporting a nice new orange jumpsuit instead. :nono:

With the sexual assault stories, I expected him to be led away in handcuffs before the election took place. If several people came forward with allegations that I grabbed them between the legs without consent, there would be several cop cars out front, lights on, and then my door knocked down, and me taken into custody.

You're absolutely right about that. You only have to have a hint of being a little bit dodgy and they over-react, unless you're a national icon or ridiculously wealthy. Not that I think this guy actually has a lot of cash on hand, I think he just has big credit facilities. As for Cosby, he should've been locked up decades ago, but he gets away with it because he's an icon. Trump said he could walk down the street and shoot some random person in full view of everyone on the street and nothing would happen. So it is.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#5283  Postby Animavore » Apr 05, 2017 5:09 am

Has anyone else been keeping up with The LA Times amazing 6-parter on Trump?

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-ed-o ... president/

So far, Our Dishonest President, Why Trump Lies, and Trump's Authoritarian Vision.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5284  Postby Animavore » Apr 05, 2017 5:22 am

Gotta laugh at the scornful letters to the editor on those pieces. They're still saying, "Can't you give him a chance?"

:lol:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5285  Postby BlackBart » Apr 05, 2017 6:27 am

Animavore wrote:Also, I see George Takei is running for congress.

Oh my!
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5286  Postby Spinozasgalt » Apr 05, 2017 6:38 am

I keep seeing defenses of Gorsuch. And in these defenses the names "Robert George" and "John Finnis" keep popping up. And I just don't wanna even engage.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5287  Postby crank » Apr 05, 2017 6:40 am

Animavore wrote:Has anyone else been keeping up with The LA Times amazing 6-parter on Trump?

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-ed-o ... president/

So far, Our Dishonest President, Why Trump Lies, and Trump's Authoritarian Vision.

I posted links to the first two, in separate posts, just a bit up ^^ thataway. But it was a 4-parter, seems it' must be getting a lot of attention if they've extended it's run by 50%. The titles are telling, no holds barred, no punches pulled.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#5288  Postby crank » Apr 05, 2017 6:42 am

Animavore wrote:Gotta laugh at the scornful letters to the editor on those pieces. They're still saying, "Can't you give him a chance?"

:lol:

All we are saying, is give piece-of-shit a chance,
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#5289  Postby crank » Apr 05, 2017 6:57 am

La Times, Part III: Trump’s Authoritarian Vision

Standing before the cheering throngs at the Republican National Convention last summer, Donald Trump bemoaned how special interests had rigged the country’s politics and its economy, leaving Americans victimized by unfair trade deals, incompetent bureaucrats and spineless leaders.

He swooped into politics, he declared, to subvert the powerful and rescue those who cannot defend themselves. “Nobody knows the system better than me, which is why I alone can fix it.”

To Trump’s faithful, those words were a rallying cry. But his critics heard something far more menacing in them: a dangerously authoritarian vision of the presidency — one that would crop up time and again as he talked about overruling generals, disregarding international law, ordering soldiers to commit war crimes, jailing his opponent.

One of the things I've been yammering about incessantly of late is how conservative-thinking minds are more prone to delusion. Authoritarian thinking is a hallmark of a conservative brain, and Trump and his supporters evidence delusions regularly, broadly, deeply, and laughably. And I don't think it's a stretch to say the more conservative the Trumpster, the more delusional the thinking. It's a much shorter trip for them, so to speak, most don't need to leave their house.
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#5290  Postby Agrippina » Apr 05, 2017 7:29 am

Oh absolutely. They are right, about everything. Everyone who deviates from what they think is right, is wrong. Trump was wrong because he didn't have something the establishment needed. Now he's president, they still don't want to invite him to dinner but they'll hold their noses and endure him because he can feather their nests for them. Ugh!
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#5291  Postby Pulsar » Apr 05, 2017 12:22 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/apr/04/trump-extreme-vetting-visitors-to-us-share-contacts-passwords

'Extreme vetting' would require visitors to US to share contacts and passwords

Tourists from Britain and other countries visiting the US could be forced to reveal mobile phone contacts, social media passwords and financial data under “extreme vetting” practices being considered by the Trump administration, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Travellers who want to enter the US could also face questioning over their ideology, as Washington moves away from a default position of allowing people in to a more sceptical approach to visitors.

The changes might include visitors from the 38 countries – the UK, France, Australia and Japan among them – that participate in the visa waiver programme, which requires adherence to strict US standards in data sharing, passport control and other factors, one senior official told the Journal.

Are you out of your fucking mind ?!?!?
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#5292  Postby Tzelemel » Apr 05, 2017 12:49 pm

Pulsar wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/apr/04/trump-extreme-vetting-visitors-to-us-share-contacts-passwords

'Extreme vetting' would require visitors to US to share contacts and passwords

Are you out of your fucking mind ?!?!?

Oh, I see what they're trying to do. Make the US as undesirable a place to visit as possible, so they won't have to build a wall. I hear North Korea has a good system; perhaps they can emulate that?
Last edited by Tzelemel on Apr 05, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tzelemel

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5293  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 05, 2017 1:23 pm

About time for a Calexit or a New Yexit. NK will look like a pleasure dome once 45 is finished.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5294  Postby Tero » Apr 05, 2017 3:54 pm

Republicans torn on how to Screw America
http://karireport.blogspot.com/2017/04/ ... erica.html
How American politics goes
1 Republicans cut tax, let everything run down to barely working...8 years
2 Democrats fix public spending to normal...8 years
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

#5295  Postby Tzelemel » Apr 05, 2017 4:17 pm

Looks like Bannon has been given a retroactive excuse for being on the NSC, before being removed from the NSC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39508351
Tzelemel

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5296  Postby crank » Apr 05, 2017 4:19 pm

Good reason Trump doesn't want to be throwing out any first balls
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#5297  Postby SafeAsMilk » Apr 05, 2017 4:22 pm

I know that's a fake because the tie doesn't go down to his knees.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5298  Postby Alan B » Apr 05, 2017 5:54 pm

Bannon off the NSC?
Perhaps the puppet is cutting some it's strings.

Sent from my PSP5508DUO using Tapatalk
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5299  Postby Pulsar » Apr 05, 2017 6:05 pm

Bannon is replaced by Rick fucking Perry.
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#5300  Postby Macdoc » Apr 05, 2017 6:18 pm

Make the US as undesirable a place to visit as possible

It's working too...tourism is well down and events and trips being cancelled by groups.

Despite my Pass Go card that breezes me through ( Nexus ) I still try to avoid and travel via Canada to overseas.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs