President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#5241  Postby Corneel » Apr 02, 2017 3:56 pm

Pebble wrote:
Corneel wrote:

Nothing what you say is wrong as such, it's just that the fact that global warming is a political issue, it's just not one that is the result of incredible number of easily avoidable political screw-ups, unlike the fact Nazism got into power in Germany. But let's not further derail this thread, if you want we can continue that discussion elsewhere.

In the 1930's the population frustrated by the failure of politicians to ensure they benefited from the slow recovery from the 1929 cash, voted for populist "strong man" politicians that ignored the real issues in their economies and set a course leading to destruction. Now people frustrated by the failure of politicians to ensure they benefited from the slow recovery from the 2008 crash are voting for populist 'strong man' politicians that ignore the real issues as set a course leading to destruction.
So easy to see the differences!

Bolded for your convenience.
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#5242  Postby crank » Apr 02, 2017 4:05 pm

The_Piper wrote:More humor, Mr. President takes his ball and goes home.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/31/politics/donald-trump-executive-order-signing-walk-out/index.html

I just now saw the video, Trump looks beat down, his walk from the podium looks arduous, you can just about see the cross he's bearing on his stooped back. Alt-reality building in the face of actual reality is a big job, fraught with pitfalls. In his case, he's dug shitloads of pitfalls and made sure we all saw them by live-tweeting his excavations.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#5243  Postby Willie71 » Apr 02, 2017 4:18 pm

willhud9 wrote:
crank wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
crank wrote:
Lack of argument from hiding a gross, embarrassing error? Really? Come on Willie, admitting errors is beneath you?

It is willhud, not willie. I also accept Will or William, as that is my name. Furthermore, I am engaging you, but you are choosing to ignore questions and deflect by doing what you do below:

I'm ignoring? I called you out for accusing me of the fallacy of popularity when it obviously wasn't, you ignored that, wouldn't admit how wrong you were.

The rest is just more of the same inanities I've already addressed countless times. Billyboy, whatever, if you're going to try to distract readers so they don't see you avoiding admitting an embarrassing error, I'm not going to let that pass. As I said, I don't care if you want to insist on being ignorant, not much i can do in the face of your resistance to facts.

You cited the public's low trust in the media I.e public opinion I.e argument via popularity as to why the mainstream media is bad.

Argumentum ad populam. Logical fallacy. Just because the masses believe something to be true does not make it so. That is what I accused you of invoking in the particular quote I quoted. You decided to bitch and whine when I called you out on it and do a whole "Nuh-uh" instead of stepping back and realizing that citing people's opinions does not equal substantiated facts.

:yawn:

Will, you are on the losing side of this argument. Are you aware of how many people were gagged or fired from the MSM regarding the Iraq war? I'll give you a hint, you can find a lot of them on RT America. Just scroll through their hosts. There are numerous others too.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5244  Postby Alan B » Apr 02, 2017 6:02 pm

crank wrote:
The_Piper wrote:More humor, Mr. President takes his ball and goes home.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/31/politics/donald-trump-executive-order-signing-walk-out/index.html

I just now saw the video, Trump looks beat down, his walk from the podium looks arduous, you can just about see the cross he's bearing on his stooped back. Alt-reality building in the face of actual reality is a big job, fraught with pitfalls. In his case, he's dug shitloads of pitfalls and made sure we all saw them by live-tweeting his excavations.

I think he's beginning to realise that he has dug a bloody great hole for himself and he hasn't the knowledge or experience to get himself out of it. He is also beginning to realise that he is just a convenient mouthpiece for the committee that is really running the country.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5245  Postby willhud9 » Apr 02, 2017 7:07 pm

Willie71 wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
crank wrote:
willhud9 wrote:

It is willhud, not willie. I also accept Will or William, as that is my name. Furthermore, I am engaging you, but you are choosing to ignore questions and deflect by doing what you do below:

I'm ignoring? I called you out for accusing me of the fallacy of popularity when it obviously wasn't, you ignored that, wouldn't admit how wrong you were.

The rest is just more of the same inanities I've already addressed countless times. Billyboy, whatever, if you're going to try to distract readers so they don't see you avoiding admitting an embarrassing error, I'm not going to let that pass. As I said, I don't care if you want to insist on being ignorant, not much i can do in the face of your resistance to facts.

You cited the public's low trust in the media I.e public opinion I.e argument via popularity as to why the mainstream media is bad.

Argumentum ad populam. Logical fallacy. Just because the masses believe something to be true does not make it so. That is what I accused you of invoking in the particular quote I quoted. You decided to bitch and whine when I called you out on it and do a whole "Nuh-uh" instead of stepping back and realizing that citing people's opinions does not equal substantiated facts.

Will, you are on the losing side of this argument. Are you aware of how many people were gagged or fired from the MSM regarding the Iraq war? I'll give you a hint, you can find a lot of them on RT America. Just scroll through their hosts. There are numerous others too.

Oh good. Another member here to just assert that I'm wrong without actually showing substance.

Give me names. Oh and don't just cite their personal anecdotes as to why they said they were fired. That's not credible information as it implies a bias.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5246  Postby Willie71 » Apr 02, 2017 8:24 pm

willhud9 wrote:
Willie71 wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
crank wrote:

Oh good. Another member here to just assert that I'm wrong without actually showing substance.

Give me names. Oh and don't just cite their personal anecdotes as to why they said they were fired. That's not credible information as it implies a bias.

The most obvious one was Phil Donahue. I can't believe you really thought there was balanced coverage of the iraq war. Do you have no critical thinking? This was one of the most blatant propaganda campaigns in modern history. You can see it continue with the whole terrorism spin we repeatedly see. Same process.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5247  Postby willhud9 » Apr 03, 2017 1:23 am

Willie71 wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
Willie71 wrote:
willhud9 wrote:

The most obvious one was Phil Donahue.

Wow, I can't believe people actually drank that kool-aid. Donahue was not a popular show on MSNBC and had a high production cost. Those factors + Donahue's ultra liberal stances made the cancellation of the show inevitable for MSNBC at the time.

But Donahue is your obvious example? Political commentators are not journalists. They have a role on their media programming which is to comment on news and are subject to the media providers whims. What journalists were being gagged or silenced?

I can't believe you really thought there was balanced coverage of the iraq war.

Your snide incredulousness is cute, but again unsubstantiated. You nor Crank have actually done anything to verify your incessant claims that the media biasedly covered the entrance of Iraq. You keep perpetuating the echo chamber.

Do you have no critical thinking?

:roll:

This was one of the most blatant propaganda campaigns in modern history. You can see it continue with the whole terrorism spin we repeatedly see. Same process.

a) the media tends to influence public opinion. This is true.
b) a good portion of coverage was pro-war. This is true.
c) This does not mean, however, that the media somehow conspired to be pro-war and only pro-war.

The media goes on rating. It was incredibly unpopular to speak out against the invasion of Iraq back in 2003. So unpopular that Fox New's viewership spiked in comparison to CNN's and MSNBC's ratings and viewerships. The "media" is subject to supply and demand pressures. If people don't care to hear a certain opinion they don't want to listen to it.

The few cases of reporters being fired over anti-war statements are exaggerated most of the time and involve more than just them making anti-war statements. There were a lot of reporters who were against Iraq and they voiced their opinions and those opinions were available to the public. The public did not care and chose to ignore those stories.

The thing is journalists like Christopher Hitchens also believed Iraq was justified. Hitchens was by no means a non-skeptic, or as Crank likes to say, "blind." You may disagree with him, but that is the cool thing about having differences of opinions on topics like Iraq. You can civilly discuss them.

But I have a feeling that if anyone said anything pro-Iraq War you would also have an aneurysm.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5248  Postby Oldskeptic » Apr 03, 2017 1:32 am

Willie71 wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
Willie71 wrote:
willhud9 wrote:

The most obvious one was Phil Donahue. I can't believe you really thought there was balanced coverage of the iraq war. Do you have no critical thinking? This was one of the most blatant propaganda campaigns in modern history. You can see it continue with the whole terrorism spin we repeatedly see. Same process.

Donahue MSNBC was cancelled because of poor ratings.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/phil-donahue-gets-the-ax/

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/26/busin ... -show.html
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#5249  Postby Willie71 » Apr 03, 2017 2:09 am

So the pro war outlets dismissed Donahue's cancellation? He did not have the worst performing show by any stretch. The cool aide is on your side, not mine.
Willie71

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5250  Postby willhud9 » Apr 03, 2017 2:25 am

Willie71 wrote:So the pro war outlets dismissed Donahue's cancellation? He did not have the worst performing show by any stretch. The cool aide is on your side, not mine.

No, but performance alone was not the only factor. Again his ultra-liberal viewpoints were also not what MSNBC wanted to portray during that block.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5251  Postby Willie71 » Apr 03, 2017 2:27 am

willhud9 wrote:
Willie71 wrote:So the pro war outlets dismissed Donahue's cancellation? He did not have the worst performing show by any stretch. The cool aide is on your side, not mine.

No, but performance alone was not the only factor. Again his ultra-liberal viewpoints were also not what MSNBC wanted to portray during that block.

So his viewpoint is what got him cancelled?
Willie71

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5252  Postby felltoearth » Apr 03, 2017 2:38 am

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2004/05/26/w ... -iraq.html

“But we have found a number of instances of coverage that was not as rigorous as it should have been. In some cases, information that was controversial then, and seems questionable now, was insufficiently qualified or allowed to stand unchallenged. Looking back, we wish we had been more aggressive in re-examining the claims as new evidence emerged -- or failed to emerge.”
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5253  Postby willhud9 » Apr 03, 2017 2:47 am

Willie71 wrote:
willhud9 wrote:

So his viewpoint is what got him cancelled?

Among other things. Your insistence of dichotomies and oversimplification is rather naive.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5254  Postby Oldskeptic » Apr 03, 2017 3:23 am

Donahue was hired by MSNBC, at a considerable salary, to challenge Fox News' Bill O'Reilly's The Factor. Donahue didn't come close. Donahue was cancelled because of his ratings not reaching expectations.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#5255  Postby Agrippina » Apr 03, 2017 7:18 am

crank wrote:
Agrippina wrote:...
the world of ordinary people who are being screwed over more and more by the world's wealthiest people, who also happen to be the ones in charge of how it's run

If this wasn't blatantly obvious for decades, it sure as hell is now. It shouldn't even need saying, about as necessary as saying the US is a 2-party system. It's also just as obvious the media plays a large part. But, if you try to say this explicitly, you will get jumped on as a conspiracy theorist and all sorts of other ignorant slanders. There isn't a conspiracy, there's a lot of elite, they ain't all the same, they got all kinds of different goals, different priorities, etc. But what they do have in common is plenty, e.g., they pretty much all want corporate interest to trump the interest of the public at large. Is this what we see? Yes, that's been true for, well, pretty much forever. Does the media ever really expose this? Sometimes, when particularly vile BS happens, or incidences that are simply too huge to deny. In a recent post of mine in the thread about Trump's gutting of net neutrality, I asked what was missing from Spicer's comment :
The president pledged to reverse this type of federal overreach in which bureaucrats in Washington take the interests of one group of companies over the interests of others, picking winners and losers,”

It should be obvious if you're half-awake. The FTC and the FCC ostensibly exist for the good of the citizens, they are not corporation-profit maximizers. The good of the citizens is consistently ignored, as here where it is so explicit, a media that wasn't utterly compromised would report on these things honestly, instead of ignoring it or supporting it, which they do all the time.

Even here, a skeptics forum, saying something that is so obvious will get you ignorant crap like this recent accusation-- "childish and incessant rants against the media ". Seems a common sentiment by many here, what can you do when the skeptics in a skeptics forum crave gullibility?

Exactly. There's an argument happening on Facebook this morning about how our president is milking the system to stay in power and how he's being kept in power by the big money that's financing him, and yet people imagine that protesting and marching is going to cause his wealthy supporters, who are getting the benefit of his bought power, to support a vote of no confidence. It's not going to happen. The wealthy run the world. It's not an "illuminati" conspiracy, it's just a fact that people who own a lot of wealth want politicians who will rule in their favour. That is the truth of it, and the politicians in power will rule in favour of the people who fund their campaigns, and who pay money into their favourite charities, usually their offshore bank accounts.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#5256  Postby crank » Apr 03, 2017 7:46 am

Bill Maher was fired, his show, Politically Incorrect, taken off because he made the rather obvious observation it was sillly to call the 911 guys 'cowards' after they flew airplanes into a buildings. If anyone is unaware the media tend to the gungho during wars, ain't nuthin' gonna get through that much resistance to facts.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#5257  Postby Agrippina » Apr 03, 2017 7:49 am

crank wrote:Bill Maher was fired, his show, Politically Incorrect, taken off because he made the rather obvious observation it was sillly to call the 911 guys 'cowards' after they flew airplanes into a buildings. If anyone is unaware the media tend to the gungho during wars, ain't nuthin' gonna get through that much resistance to facts.

Yep. :thumbup:
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#5258  Postby Macdoc » Apr 03, 2017 7:50 am

There are limits to that Aggie...dumpf is an outsider...troublemaker .....Koch Bros already fed up ....Pence is far more malleable.

Your situation is different tho you do have a strong legal system ...it does not have a mechanism to correct the corruption.

Iceland and Sweden do ...few others,.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5259  Postby crank » Apr 03, 2017 8:00 am

willhud9 wrote:

I think that's rich coming from someone who can't understand very simple arguments, as I showed convincingly above, while refusing to admit I've given shitloads of citations/references about my claims. I can't help it if you refuse to acknowledge the facts, just like you refuse to admit to the inanity of your fallacious claim of fallacy in my post.
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#5260  Postby Animavore » Apr 03, 2017 8:03 am

I'm reading an alarming number of stories of people - liberals, the LGBT community - arming themselves out of fear. I really hope this doesn't escalate.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs