President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#921  Postby Sendraks » Dec 09, 2016 11:17 am

There's a historical precedent in the US for rounding people up and putting them in camps.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#922  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 09, 2016 11:18 am

Putting them in pretty terrible places as well.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#923  Postby Sendraks » Dec 09, 2016 11:22 am

The Time magazine cover doesn't bother me. Certainly it bothers me less than the outrage about it which, to me, is indicative of a significant failure on the part of people to pay attention to what is going on and instead preferring to wallow in denial about reality.

People need to read Time magazine and digest why they consider Trump to be the person who "for better or for worse...has done the most to influence the events of the year. Time magazine is saying that people need to pay attention to Trump and the factors surrounding his election and learn from them because, you know, failure to learn stuff just leads to the same mistakes being made. People view the Time magazine "person of the year" as an honorific, because they don't read the fucking article and consequently don't understand the messages being articulated.

I suppose for the denialists in the DNC and on the political left, its easier to just decry Time's choice, then engage with it and try to understand where they went so badly wrong.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#924  Postby angelo » Dec 09, 2016 11:42 am

Nothing is mentioned about Hillary been runner up!
angelo

Name: angelo barbato
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#925  Postby PensivePenny » Dec 09, 2016 12:14 pm

Personally, I "decry" trump on the cover because he stood out enough to be chosen as did Hitler and as did Stalin... NOT because I think it's an "honorific". Accompanying trump's rise are so many similarities with Hitler's and Stalin's, it's frightening. The Time cover is just another one.
Evolution saddens me. In an environment where irrational thinking is protected, the disparity in the population rate of creationists vs that of rational thinkers, equates to a creationist win. Let's remove warning labels from products as an equalizer.
PensivePenny

Name: Penny
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#926  Postby Sendraks » Dec 09, 2016 12:19 pm

PensivePenny wrote:Personally, I "decry" trump on the cover because he stood out enough to be chosen as did Hitler and as did Stalin... NOT because I think it's an "honorific". Accompanying trump's rise are so many similarities with Hitler's and Stalin's, it's frightening. The Time cover is just another one.

That is the whole point and rock solid justification for Trump being on the cover.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#927  Postby SkyMutt » Dec 09, 2016 5:13 pm

Sendraks wrote:The Time magazine cover doesn't bother me. Certainly it bothers me less than the outrage about it which, to me, is indicative of a significant failure on the part of people to pay attention to what is going on and instead preferring to wallow in denial about reality.

Maybe I'm not visiting the right sites, but I haven't seen much "outrage." I've seen a fair amount of gloating, though.
Serious, but not entirely serious.
SkyMutt

Male

Print view this post

#928  Postby PensivePenny » Dec 09, 2016 6:33 pm

Sendraks wrote:There's a historical precedent in the US for rounding people up and putting them in camps.

Shh, we don't like to talk about that... or slavery either.

Of course, UK has their own internment skeleton... as do many countries, shameful as it might be.
Evolution saddens me. In an environment where irrational thinking is protected, the disparity in the population rate of creationists vs that of rational thinkers, equates to a creationist win. Let's remove warning labels from products as an equalizer.
PensivePenny

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#929  Postby Animavore » Dec 10, 2016 11:56 am

I thought it was hilarious the clueless, unironic moron thanked TIME for giving him person of the year. He really doesn't get it at all.
About that TIME cover. http://forward.com/culture/356537/why-t ... tical-art/
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#930  Postby Animavore » Dec 10, 2016 12:01 pm

Sendraks wrote:There's an historical precedent in the US for rounding people up and putting them in camps.

FIFY.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#931  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 10, 2016 12:10 pm

Animavore wrote:I thought it was hilarious the clueless, unironic moron thanked TIME for giving him person of the year. He really doesn't get it at all.
About that TIME cover. http://forward.com/culture/356537/why-t ... tical-art/

Nice. :thumbup:

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#932  Postby Pulsar » Dec 10, 2016 2:43 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-clinton-lock-her-up_us_584b5b53e4b04c8e2bb01274?m=false

Trump Admits His Threat To Lock Up Clinton Was Just For Show

President-elect Donald Trump on Friday acknowledged his threat to imprison Hillary Clinton for using a private email server during her time as secretary of state was simply an appeal to win voters.

As Trump spoke at a rally in Grand Rapids, Michigan, as part of his post-election “Thank You Tour,” some supporters began chanting “lock her up” ― a common refrain during the Republican convention and Trump’s campaign events.

“No, it’s okay,” Trump said as the crowd jeered a reference to Clinton. “Forget it. That plays great before the election. Now, we don’t care, right?”
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#933  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 10, 2016 2:52 pm

He should be impeached. The cunt is really the pits.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#934  Postby PensivePenny » Dec 10, 2016 4:05 pm

Wood chippers are good for disposing of deadwood.
PensivePenny

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#935  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 10, 2016 4:26 pm

Pulsar wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-clinton-lock-her-up_us_584b5b53e4b04c8e2bb01274?m=false

President-elect Donald Trump on Friday acknowledged his threat to imprison Hillary Clinton for using a private email server during her time as secretary of state was simply an appeal to win voters.

As Trump spoke at a rally in Grand Rapids, Michigan, as part of his post-election “Thank You Tour,” some supporters began chanting “lock her up” ― a common refrain during the Republican convention and Trump’s campaign events.

“No, it’s okay,” Trump said as the crowd jeered a reference to Clinton. “Forget it. That plays great before the election. Now, we don’t care, right?”

He can sit there and call his followers credulous fuckwits to their faces, and they'll just take it :lol:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#936  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 10, 2016 4:33 pm

That mad claim he made about shooting people in the street and people would still vote for him.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#937  Postby Pulsar » Dec 10, 2016 4:39 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:He can sit there and call his followers credulous fuckwits to their faces, and they'll just take it :lol:

I saw a very appropriate quote on Reddit:
A mixture of gullibility and cynicism had been an outstanding characteristic of mob mentality before it became an everyday phenomenon of masses. In an ever-changing, incomprehensible, world the masses had reached the point where they would, at the same time, believe everything and nothing, think that everything is possible and that nothing was true… Mass propaganda discovered that its audience was ready at all times to believe the worst, no matter how absurd, and did not particularly object to being deceived because it held every statement to be a lie anyhow. The totalitarian mass leaders based their propaganda on the correct psychological assumption that, under such conditions, one could make people believe the most fantastic statements one day, and trust if the next day they were given irrefutable proof of their falsehood, they would take refuge in cynicism; instead of deserting the leaders who had lied to them, they would protest that they had known all along the statement was a lie and would admire the leaders for their superior tactical cleverness.

- Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#938  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 10, 2016 4:50 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Pulsar wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-clinton-lock-her-up_us_584b5b53e4b04c8e2bb01274?m=false

He can sit there and call his followers credulous fuckwits to their faces, and they'll just take it :lol:

Yup, same happened when Wilders fled from his posiiton in the coalition because he didn't get what he wanted and failed to actually achieve anything.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#939  Postby crank » Dec 10, 2016 9:39 pm

Much has been made of the fact-free character of the right and almost anything related to Trump, but no one should forget how much of it started with Bush jr. Anyone remember the Karl Rove bit about 'we create our own reality'? Rove was yammering about the international stage, particularly the war on terror/Iraq war, but the attitude has metastasized and now every conservative with a blog, a Facebook or Twitter account is getting in on the act.

This is the full quote, Rove has subsequently been identified as the 'senior official':
The aide said that guys like me were "in what we call the reality-based community," which he defined as people who "believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality." I nodded and murmured something about enlightenment principles and empiricism. He cut me off. "That's not the way the world really works anymore," he continued. "We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality -- judiciously, as you will -- we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors . . . and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do."

The original publication was an article in New Your Times, by Ron Suskind: Faith, Certainty and the Presidency of George W. Bush

It makes plain how Bush's faith gave him the certainty that allowed him to disregard any inconvenient facts, sure that he was doing god's work, and they would always find facts that proved we were on the right course. The article is from Oct 2004, gives examples of the pathologies that can result from a worldview where you decide up front what the reality is to be, then you get the 'facts' that fit your expectations, even if you have to torture a few hundred folk to get those 'facts'.

Bad as Bush and his admin were, with Trump, there isn't any faith involved, no coherence to the realities getting shotgunned out of his mouth/twitter account, and that of the various vacuous mouthpieces of the GOP and the RW. The belief circle surrounding Trump et al. may be reaching the critical mass where what is true will be irrelevant to how the country is run in almost every important aspect. How long before NASA starts publishing reports of how climate change was a hoax? Hell, they'll have The National Geographic on their side, and a MSM too weak and pathetic to counter the delusions.

'Belief circle is a fantastic concept, first coined I believe by the great science fiction writer Vernor Vinge in Rainbows End. Also known as 'filter bubbles, etc. This video lays the concept out quite well. We're going to have a country that is run by folk who are living in an alternate reality, and it's a reality of quicksilver, unstable, unpredictable even to it's creators. These are going to be interesting times.

[youtube][/youtube]
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#940  Postby Oldskeptic » Dec 10, 2016 10:23 pm

Sendraks wrote:There's a historical precedent in the US for rounding people up and putting them in camps.

Indeed, as there are historical precedents for rounding people up and putting them in camps in and by Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Ireland, England, Wales, France, Finland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Israel...
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs