President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#901  Postby OlivierK » Dec 08, 2016 5:27 am

Byron wrote:Legality aside, all states allotting their votes proportionately would be an excellent idea. It'd make every state competitive, while maintaining a bump for smaller states. Better yet, no constitutional amendment necessary: two states already do it.

Well, two states kinda sorta do it. It's still possible to get all 5 electoral votes in Nebraska with 51% of the vote. The fact that split EC votes are rare should be a hint that the ME-NE system is not as good an answer as a PR allocation per state.

Or, you know, the NPVIC, which is pretty hard to top in the one-person-one-vote stakes.
Last edited by OlivierK on Dec 08, 2016 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#902  Postby OlivierK » Dec 08, 2016 5:43 am

Out of curiosity, has anyone seen an analysis of how the electoral college would have gone down if all states used the ME-NE model? I've seen it dones for elections past, but not this one. In all cases I've seen for past elections, using the ME-NE method increased EC votes for Republicans due to the way states are districted (the same thing that gives Republicans a House majority in a 50/50 election. Whatever the best answer is, it's not allocating EC votes by district.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#903  Postby willhud9 » Dec 08, 2016 8:14 am

Well yeah. The majority of congressional districts typically vote Republican during presidential elections. Taking a look at Virginia's 2016 break down if the electors were apportioned via a split due to districting Trump would have clearly won the state. There are only 4 pockets of sufficient Democratic votes in Virginia.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#904  Postby Teague » Dec 08, 2016 10:23 am

Byron wrote:Legality aside, all states allotting their votes proportionately would be an excellent idea. It'd make every state competitive, while maintaining a bump for smaller states. Better yet, no constitutional amendment necessary: two states already do it.

For the life of me I can't understand why it isn't like this already. So you can win the state by one fucking vote and get all the votes and that's representative of the state is - getting 50.000001% of the vote gives you all the votes?

There must a reason it's like this and not split down to votes - has anyone checked to see if it would make any difference anyway?
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#905  Postby PensivePenny » Dec 08, 2016 2:30 pm

Teague, I think it all comes down to slavery, ultimately. Slave owners were in the minority. They feared non-slave states abolishing slavery. The bicameral system, electoral college and even the right of the states to choose how to choose their delegates were all influenced by that fact.

So, we have an archaic system that exists 150 years after the extinction of the very thing responsible for creating it in the first place.
Evolution saddens me. In an environment where irrational thinking is protected, the disparity in the population rate of creationists vs that of rational thinkers, equates to a creationist win. Let's remove warning labels from products as an equalizer.
PensivePenny

Name: Penny
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#906  Postby willhud9 » Dec 08, 2016 2:55 pm

The problem I have with the above view is that the way the US government was intended was the people were to be directly represented ONLY by their district's representative. If you had a grievance with a law you would write your representative in the House. Senators were chosen by the House to represent the entirety of the state. That was changed but the role of senator is not to represent individuals but the collective state.

The President is the leader of the executive branch which was supposed to be the weakest branch. The president was never supposed to be elected directly but the people and I still don't think the president should.

Personally I think each district should vote for an elector and then those electors have the freedom to vote for whom they wish to vote for. This way candidates have to focus on issues, not just a game of state monopoly, because it is unknown who the electors would actually vote for. And there wouldn't be a popular vote for president.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#907  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 08, 2016 2:59 pm

He has been tweeting again:

Trump Throws Twitter Tantrum After Union Leader Calls Him Out For ‘Lying His A– Off’

The reason the thin-skinned president-elect is so angry is because the union leader dropped a major truth bomb about Trump's recent PR stunt with Carrier.

Donald Trump took to Twitter on Wednesday night to lash out after United Steelworkers leader Chuck Jones said the president-elect only “half-way delivered” on his promise to keep all Carrier jobs from being shipped out of the United States.

The reason the thin-skinned president-elect is so angry is because the union leader dropped a major truth bomb about Trump’s recent PR stunt with Carrier.

“You half-way delivered,” Jones said on CNN, citing Trump’s promise to keep all jobs from being shipped to Mexico. “We expect you go back and keep all the jobs.”

Despite Trump’s vow, Carrier is still outsourcing almost 600 jobs across the southern border next year

More...

Somebody should take his phone off him.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#908  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 08, 2016 3:06 pm

Just saw this:

:lol:

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#909  Postby Pulsar » Dec 08, 2016 3:23 pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-supporters-threaten-union-boss-children-carrier-union-chad-jones-a7462566.html

Donald Trump supporters 'threaten children of Carrier union boss' after he exposed false claim by President-elect

Supporters of Donald Trump have threatened a workers' union boss and his children after he criticised the President-elect for making false claims about a business deal.

Chuck Jones, leader of the 1999 steelworkers union, attracted the President-elect’s attention after he said the billionaire had “lied his ass off” about coming to an agreement that saved 1,100 American jobs at an air conditioning company called Carrier.

Following Mr Jones’ remarks, Mr Trump took to Twitter to criticise him, saying he had “done a terrible job” and that he should “spend more time working" and "less time talking”.

But within an hour of Mr Trump tweeting his remarks, the union boss said he started to receive threatening phone calls.

“You better keep your eye on your kids, we’re coming for you, we know what car you drive, things like that,” he told MSNBC.
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#910  Postby PensivePenny » Dec 08, 2016 3:43 pm

willhud9 wrote:The problem I have with the above view is that the way the US government was intended was the people were to be directly represented ONLY by their district's representative. If you had a grievance with a law you would write your representative in the House. Senators were chosen by the House to represent the entirety of the state. That was changed but the role of senator is not to represent individuals but the collective state.

I wasn't aware of Senators ever being elected by representatives, but if their role is the same, it's of no consequence to my point. Are you refuting the argument that two senators per state had no other purpose than to shift the balance of power away from the states with greater population? If so, please explain.
Evolution saddens me. In an environment where irrational thinking is protected, the disparity in the population rate of creationists vs that of rational thinkers, equates to a creationist win. Let's remove warning labels from products as an equalizer.
PensivePenny

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#911  Postby PensivePenny » Dec 08, 2016 3:45 pm

Pulsar wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-supporters-threaten-union-boss-children-carrier-union-chad-jones-a7462566.html

Donald Trump supporters 'threaten children of Carrier union boss' after he exposed false claim by President-elect

Supporters of Donald Trump have threatened a workers' union boss and his children after he criticised the President-elect for making false claims about a business deal.

Chuck Jones, leader of the 1999 steelworkers union, attracted the President-elect’s attention after he said the billionaire had “lied his ass off” about coming to an agreement that saved 1,100 American jobs at an air conditioning company called Carrier.

Following Mr Jones’ remarks, Mr Trump took to Twitter to criticise him, saying he had “done a terrible job” and that he should “spend more time working" and "less time talking”.

But within an hour of Mr Trump tweeting his remarks, the union boss said he started to receive threatening phone calls.

“You better keep your eye on your kids, we’re coming for you, we know what car you drive, things like that,” he told MSNBC.

Here it comes... YAY!

Isn't this pretty much how every revolution for social capitalism has started?
PensivePenny

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#912  Postby willhud9 » Dec 08, 2016 4:24 pm

PensivePenny wrote:
willhud9 wrote:The problem I have with the above view is that the way the US government was intended was the people were to be directly represented ONLY by their district's representative. If you had a grievance with a law you would write your representative in the House. Senators were chosen by the House to represent the entirety of the state. That was changed but the role of senator is not to represent individuals but the collective state.

I wasn't aware of Senators ever being elected by representatives, but if their role is the same, it's of no consequence to my point. Are you refuting the argument that two senators per state had no other purpose than to shift the balance of power away from the states with greater population? If so, please explain.

Sorry my bad. State legislators, not representatives, were what elected Senators.

And it was meant to be a check against states with larger populations. Virginia was vastly larger in population than Rhode Island back in the 1800's and the state interests of Rhode Island varied vastly different than Virginia.

The same is true today. People point to the fact that Wyoming has more value in the Senate compared California just because of population differences, but California still vastly beats Wyoming in the House that it balances out any population imbalances.

And there still remains the fact that Senators are supposed to represent their state's overall interest.

Federalism is still a thing and it still is important to keep in mind that state's have certain authorities and privileges and are their own governments in a lot of ways.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#913  Postby crank » Dec 08, 2016 4:25 pm

There are yammerings complaining about the 'M' in Time looking like horns.

And, there is a story about a Texan EC voter who says he can't vote for Trump, the Texas legislature quickly begins consideration of a bill to force him to.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#914  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 08, 2016 4:26 pm

A well placed letter.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#915  Postby Tero » Dec 08, 2016 5:00 pm

Finnish stand up guy Ismo explains the Trump debt concept. We are Ghengis Khan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvLjxSKpe-4
How American politics goes
1 Republicans cut tax, let everything run down to barely working...8 years
2 Democrats fix public spending to normal...8 years
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

President Trump Watch.

#916  Postby felltoearth » Dec 08, 2016 9:40 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Just saw this:

:lol:

Man of the year 1938 and 1939 respectively.

ETA Just noticed the addition :)
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#917  Postby PensivePenny » Dec 08, 2016 10:16 pm

Something very disturbing about the image of the three of them together... :nono:
PensivePenny

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#918  Postby angelo » Dec 09, 2016 10:25 am

Big difference been that Stalin And Hitler were responsible for the deaths of millions of human beings! Doubt Trump will ever be in the same category.
angelo

Name: angelo barbato
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#919  Postby Corneel » Dec 09, 2016 10:30 am

angelo wrote:Big difference been that Stalin And Hitler were responsible for the deaths of millions of human beings! Doubt Trump will ever be in the same category.

Now don't start giving him any ideas.
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#920  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 09, 2016 11:15 am

Quite. He does have a few million illegals to take of.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs