Republican Watch

People who say "Democrats are as bad as Republicans" are almost as bad as Republicans.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Republican Watch

#681  Postby Hermit » Mar 30, 2019 3:32 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Polarized peoples are so vulnerable.

Not nearly as much as polarised bears. Just look at them: Endangered in the North and completely extinct in the South Pole. :leaving:
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#682  Postby aban57 » Mar 30, 2019 3:41 am

Seabass wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
There is nothing wrong with a polarized population.

There's nothing worse. Congress is paralyzed because of this polarization. And when Congress stops doing its job of passing legislation, the SCOTUS (via judicial activism) and the POTUS (via executive order, i.e. Trump's stupid wall emergency or DACA for example) end up picking up the slack. The whole system is broken in large part because of this insane polarization caused by the Duverger effect that naturally occurs with FPTP.

Indeed. Also, issues that shouldn't be bound to any party (social security, guns, religions) inevitably end up on one side only, which is just stupid. And the us VS them mentailty worsens this "decent VS I don't care" dichotomy. Which led, in part, to the current numbness electorate that led to Trump being elected despite... well despite him being Trump.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#683  Postby willhud9 » Mar 30, 2019 4:14 am

Seabass wrote:
willhud9 wrote:

There's nothing worse. Congress is paralyzed because of this polarization. And when Congress stops doing its job of passing legislation, the SCOTUS (via judicial activism) and the POTUS (via executive order, i.e. Trump's stupid wall emergency or DACA for example) end up picking up the slack. The whole system is broken in large part because of this insane polarization caused by the Duverger effect that naturally occurs with FPTP.

A government passing poor legislation to bandaid problems is not better than a government not passing meaningful legislation. One looks effective because it’s doing “something”.

Doesn’t make it so.
Last edited by willhud9 on Mar 30, 2019 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#684  Postby willhud9 » Mar 30, 2019 4:32 am

aban57 wrote:
Seabass wrote:
willhud9 wrote:

Indeed. Also, issues that shouldn't be bound to any party (social security, guns, religions) inevitably end up on one side only, which is just stupid. And the us VS them mentailty worsens this "decent VS I don't care" dichotomy. Which led, in part, to the current numbness electorate that led to Trump being elected despite... well despite him being Trump.

There is always an us vs them mentality. It's just split amongst parties more pronounced so than in a two party system. It is naïve to think that all Democrats are in agreement on HOW climate change should get fixed. Most Democrats are in agreement that it should.

Also there wasn't a numbness in 2016. Trump played a populist card, which has been working in other countries that have multiparty systems.

Overall though, having more people united behind a general ideology i.e. liberal tends to be more consistent than squabbling over whether they are progressive enough or moderate enough. Such in fighting is actually why the right has been able to consolidate a lot of its growth in recent years, not just in the US either. Many right wing coalitions have been uniting political despite some minor differences, but the left squabbles over minute details.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#685  Postby newolder » Mar 30, 2019 7:57 am

Hermit wrote:
Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Polarized peoples are so vulnerable.

Not nearly as much as polarised bears. Just look at them: Endangered in the North and completely extinct in the South Pole. :leaving:

If they weren't extinct extant in the South they'd be known as Bipolar Bears. :leaving:

Edit to comply with The_Piper's objection.
Last edited by newolder on Mar 30, 2019 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#686  Postby The_Piper » Mar 30, 2019 12:01 pm

There were never polarised bears in Antarctica, y'all. Just sayin. :dopey:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#687  Postby Thommo » Mar 30, 2019 12:27 pm

I hear there are loads of ants though.
Thommo

Print view this post

#688  Postby The_Piper » Mar 30, 2019 12:36 pm

:lol:
It used to be called Auntarctica, but the southeastern US pronunciation came into more widespread usage, and the u was dropped. :teef:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#689  Postby Willie71 » Mar 30, 2019 1:40 pm

willhud9 wrote:
aban57 wrote:
Seabass wrote:
willhud9 wrote:

There is always an us vs them mentality. It's just split amongst parties more pronounced so than in a two party system. It is naïve to think that all Democrats are in agreement on HOW climate change should get fixed. Most Democrats are in agreement that it should.

Also there wasn't a numbness in 2016. Trump played a populist card, which has been working in other countries that have multiparty systems.

Overall though, having more people united behind a general ideology i.e. liberal tends to be more consistent than squabbling over whether they are progressive enough or moderate enough. Such in fighting is actually why the right has been able to consolidate a lot of its growth in recent years, not just in the US either. Many right wing coalitions have been uniting political despite some minor differences, but the left squabbles over minute details.

You’ve normalized the dysfunction that the rest of the world is appalled with. The left isn’t squabbling over minute details. The left was taken over by moderate republicans in the 80’s and 90’s. The left wants to actually be left again. Propping up a republican who calls themselves a left winger should be rejected.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#690  Postby willhud9 » Mar 30, 2019 3:33 pm

You right there are creating an us vs them mentality. Any one who isn’t in what you call the left is not ideal. Those middle ground people you are claiming are Republicans ie thems

Thanks for proving my point. :thumbup:
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#691  Postby felltoearth » Mar 30, 2019 3:43 pm

The_Piper wrote::lol:
It used to be called Auntarctica, but the southeastern US pronunciation came into more widespread usage, and the u was dropped. :teef:

You could say they were antarticulate?
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#692  Postby Willie71 » Mar 30, 2019 3:47 pm

willhud9 wrote:You right there are creating an us vs them mentality. Any one who isn’t in what you call the left is not ideal. Those middle ground people you are claiming are Republicans ie thems

Thanks for proving my point. :thumbup:

No, they actually say they are economically conservative, socially progressive. The fact that you don’t believe them is not my issue.

The Third Way is a position akin to centrism that tries to reconcile right-wing and left-wing politics by advocating a varying synthesis of some centre-right and centrist economic and some centre-left social policies.[1][2] The Third Way was created as a re-evaluation of political policies within various centre-left progressive movements in response to doubt regarding the economic viability of the state and the overuse of economic interventionist policies that had previously been popularized by Keynesianism, but at that time contrasted with the rise of popularity for neoliberalism and the New Right.[3] The Third Way is promoted by social liberals[4] and some social-democratic parties.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Way
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#693  Postby Hermit » Mar 30, 2019 4:41 pm

The_Piper wrote:There were never polarised bears in Antarctica, y'all. Just sayin. :dopey:

Oh, do fuck off. Next thing you'll try to tell us that there never were any penguins in the Arctic.

Or that Jesus never rode a dinosaur.

God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#694  Postby The_Piper » Mar 30, 2019 5:03 pm

Well thanks, I had to click on that video and unexpectedly chuckle. My poor hernia. :nono:
No penguins in the UncleArctic. :bucktooth:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#695  Postby Hermit » Mar 30, 2019 5:27 pm

The_Piper wrote:Well thanks, I had to click on that video and unexpectedly chuckle. My poor hernia. :nono:

Sorry about that, chief.

The_Piper wrote:No penguins in the UncleArctic. :bucktooth:

I told you not to tell me that! Image

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#696  Postby willhud9 » Mar 30, 2019 7:26 pm

What does economically conservative even mean?

I’d consider myself fiscally conservative. For example Richmond City promised business owners the city was going to renovate the Farmers Market down town. Meanwhile, the city blew through the budget, the renovations haven’t been started, Richmond schools are underfunded, and parking is a serious issue as large sections of the city are blocked off due to construction that isn’t happening.

That’s an economic mess caused via liberal spending. It could be fixed by restricting access to funds, budgeting accordingly, and being responsible. As such the city of Richmond screwed over a lot of small businesses around that area that have construction pylons blocking convenient parking to their business.

Like when people use big lump terms to define something you run into the issue of muddled meanings.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#697  Postby felltoearth » Mar 30, 2019 7:54 pm

willhud9 wrote:What does economically conservative even mean?

I’d consider myself fiscally conservative. For example Richmond City promised business owners the city was going to renovate the Farmers Market down town. Meanwhile, the city blew through the budget, the renovations haven’t been started, Richmond schools are underfunded, and parking is a serious issue as large sections of the city are blocked off due to construction that isn’t happening.

That’s an economic mess caused via liberal spending. It could be fixed by restricting access to funds, budgeting accordingly, and being responsible. As such the city of Richmond screwed over a lot of small businesses around that area that have construction pylons blocking convenient parking to their business.

Like when people use big lump terms to define something you run into the issue of muddled meanings.

Just read the development application here.

https://richmondva.legistar.com/View.as ... C8C4217CA1

What popped out at me in the brief was that there seems to be a bunch of utility relocation and burial associated with the project. I’m guessing that’s the source of the schedule and cost overruns.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#698  Postby Willie71 » Mar 30, 2019 8:49 pm

willhud9 wrote:What does economically conservative even mean?

It’s too bad you don’t know what these terms mean. They have well uunderstood meanings. Fiscally conservative typically refers to austerity type spending, or supply side (trickle down), and liberal or progressive tends to refer to keynesian economics.
Willie71

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#699  Postby proudfootz » Mar 30, 2019 10:20 pm

Willie71 wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
aban57 wrote:
Seabass wrote:

You’ve normalized the dysfunction that the rest of the world is appalled with. The left isn’t squabbling over minute details. The left was taken over by moderate republicans in the 80’s and 90’s. The left wants to actually be left again. Propping up a republican who calls themselves a left winger should be rejected.

Obama admitted his policies were Republican policies.

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/2729 ... n-in-1980s

The Affordable Care Act is based on ideas developed by the conservative 'think tank' Heritage Foundation and implemented by Republican Mitt Romney in Massachusetts.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/did-the- ... i_b_551804

The Democratic leadership keep chasing after Republican donors and Republican votes and going ever rightward in the pursuit, leaving their base behind.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#700  Postby Willie71 » Mar 30, 2019 10:38 pm

proudfootz wrote:
Willie71 wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
aban57 wrote:

Obama admitted his policies were Republican policies.

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/2729 ... n-in-1980s

The Affordable Care Act is based on ideas developed by the conservative 'think tank' Heritage Foundation and implemented by Republican Mitt Romney in Massachusetts.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/did-the- ... i_b_551804

The Democratic leadership keep chasing after Republican donors and Republican votes and going ever rightward in the pursuit, leaving their base behind.

I’m not sure why Will is trying to obfuscate here. We have discussed this many times. Third way describes themselves as right wing economically, but socially liberal. No ne is making accusations, or smearing. This is what they say they stand for.
Willie71

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs