Russian and US ambitions and motivations

Split from Trump Watch thread

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Russian and US ambitions and motivations

#201  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 27, 2019 12:55 pm

Mike_L wrote:FFS, flush more often!

That's exactly what I am doing.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#202  Postby newolder » Jul 27, 2019 1:04 pm

Mike_L wrote:
newolder wrote:Right, so your updated opinion is that RT - "funded in whole or in part by the Russian Government" - is equivalent to "just about any" independent Western media outlet that could be charged as being beholden to (unspecified) government.

What do you think "independent" means here?

You truncated my statement and left out a key word...

Mike_L wrote:..."the charge of being beholden to government could be leveled at just about any one of the supposedly independent major Western media outlets".

"Nominally independent" also works.

The evidence that supports the addition of "supposedly", "nominally" or anything else to independent is what? Where are the figures that show government funding of independent, major Western media outlets?
By tradition (in the West, at least), the Fourth Estate is supposed to help the populace hold government accountable.
It scarcely does that anymore. For instance, the major news outlets of the USA will incessantly bash the bogeyman-cum-distraction that is Trump (gets them ratings and advertising), then turn around and praise him when he bombs a country on a false pretext.
That sort of thing is apparently not what most Americans want...

But watching a major news outlet like MSNBC, one would swear that Americans are united in a clamor for more war.
If the Fourth Estate were performing its 'watchdog' role properly, it would've been asking whether or not there was actual justification for Trump's launching of missiles in violation of international law. Tucker Carlson of Fox News was one of the few to do so. And above, I cited an Intercept article by Glenn Greenwald. Both Carlson and Greenwald have been maligned by one of Ratskep's most beloved. That's the Ratskep vanguard of liberalism these days... denouncing anti-war voices as a "red-brown alliance" because of supposed racism or defense of racists... or whatever... the reliability of a journalist or television host judged by how closely he hews to the prevailing PC narrative of the left.

In post #192 (on this page) I provided other examples of supposedly independent Western media outlets that happily serve as mouthpiece and/or cheerleader of their countries' respective governments. They're no more "independent" than RT is.

There is no evidence here that any major Western news outlet funded independently of government is funded by a government. :yawn:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#203  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jul 27, 2019 1:10 pm

Mike_L wrote:Both Carlson and Greenwald have been maligned by one of Ratskep's most beloved. That's the Ratskep vanguard of liberalism these days... denouncing anti-war voices as a "red-brown alliance" because of supposed racism or defense of racists... or whatever... the reliability of a journalist or television host judged by how closely he hews to the prevailing PC narrative of the left.

I also maligned Caitlin Johnstone, Max Blumenthal, Michael Tracey, Jimmy Dore, Aaron Maté. I'll get to others like Ben Norton, Abby Martin and Rania Khalek eventually. Just give me time.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#204  Postby Mike_L » Jul 27, 2019 1:16 pm

Spearthrower wrote:

Good for you!

flush.jpg
flush.jpg (19.26 KiB) Viewed 604 times

:shifty:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

Re: President Trump Watch.

#205  Postby Rumraket » Jul 27, 2019 1:21 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:The Koch Brothers and the Waltons have more power than the president. America is run by the 1%.

:This:

It has become absolutely clear by now that american foreign policy is decided by wall street and weapons manufacturers.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

Re: President Trump Watch.

#206  Postby Mike_L » Jul 27, 2019 1:39 pm

Rumraket wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:The Koch Brothers and the Waltons have more power than the president. America is run by the 1%.

:This:

It has become absolutely clear by now that american foreign policy is decided by wall street and weapons manufacturers.

:nod:

...and MSNBC (whose Brian Williams waxes lyrical about the "beauty" of US cruise missile launches) is owned by General Electric... an arms manufacturer.
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#207  Postby Mike_L » Jul 27, 2019 2:02 pm

newolder wrote:
Mike_L wrote:
newolder wrote:Right, so your updated opinion is that RT - "funded in whole or in part by the Russian Government" - is equivalent to "just about any" independent Western media outlet that could be charged as being beholden to (unspecified) government.

What do you think "independent" means here?

You truncated my statement and left out a key word...

Mike_L wrote:..."the charge of being beholden to government could be leveled at just about any one of the supposedly independent major Western media outlets".

"Nominally independent" also works.

The evidence that supports the addition of "supposedly", "nominally" or anything else to independent is what? Where are the figures that show government funding of independent, major Western media outlets?
By tradition (in the West, at least), the Fourth Estate is supposed to help the populace hold government accountable.
It scarcely does that anymore. For instance, the major news outlets of the USA will incessantly bash the bogeyman-cum-distraction that is Trump (gets them ratings and advertising), then turn around and praise him when he bombs a country on a false pretext.
That sort of thing is apparently not what most Americans want...

But watching a major news outlet like MSNBC, one would swear that Americans are united in a clamor for more war.
If the Fourth Estate were performing its 'watchdog' role properly, it would've been asking whether or not there was actual justification for Trump's launching of missiles in violation of international law. Tucker Carlson of Fox News was one of the few to do so. And above, I cited an Intercept article by Glenn Greenwald. Both Carlson and Greenwald have been maligned by one of Ratskep's most beloved. That's the Ratskep vanguard of liberalism these days... denouncing anti-war voices as a "red-brown alliance" because of supposed racism or defense of racists... or whatever... the reliability of a journalist or television host judged by how closely he hews to the prevailing PC narrative of the left.

In post #192 (on this page) I provided other examples of supposedly independent Western media outlets that happily serve as mouthpiece and/or cheerleader of their countries' respective governments. They're no more "independent" than RT is.

There is no evidence here that any major Western news outlet funded independently of government is funded by a government. :yawn:

Isn't the BBC publicly funded... i.e. funded by the UK government?

And even if the assorted US media outlets don't receive government funding, it makes them no less willing to serve the government interest. As MSNBC's Phil Griffin would say, "We're the establishment".
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#208  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 27, 2019 2:03 pm

Mike_L wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

Good for you!

flush.jpg

:shifty:

They won't fit - RT's clogging up the entire sewer.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#209  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 27, 2019 2:05 pm

Mike_L wrote:

And even if the assorted US media outlets don't receive government funding, it makes them no less willing to serve the government interest. As MSNBC's Phil Griffin would say, "We're the establishment".

More equivocating.

This is becoming more and more like talking to Creationists.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#210  Postby aban57 » Jul 27, 2019 2:10 pm

Mike_L wrote:Paris is still too willing to bend the knee to Washington.

Yes, to the point that Trump just called Macron "stupid" and threatens to tax our wine. What fantasy world are you living in, seriously ?? :nono: :nono:
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#211  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 27, 2019 2:10 pm

Mike_L wrote:
Looks like Ofcom is as much an establishment brown-noser as the OPCW is.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Morton%27s_demon

Morton's demon is a concept that derives from Maxwell's demon and was created by ex-creationist Glenn Morton. It is a reference to the biases present when people consider evidence.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#212  Postby Mike_L » Jul 27, 2019 2:14 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Mike_L wrote:

More equivocating.

This is becoming more and more like talking to Creationists.

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And God called the light 'RT.com', and the darkness he called 'Western Mainstream Media'.
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#213  Postby laklak » Jul 27, 2019 2:22 pm

Anyone who trusts any news organization needs to give me a call. I've got a winning lottery ticket in your name, I just need your banking infomation to send you $27,400,711 (four hundreds and twenty millions and seventy-eleven U.S. dollars).
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#214  Postby newolder » Jul 27, 2019 2:45 pm

Mike_L wrote:...

Why are you asking me? It's your claim, you support it. Be that as it may...

The BBC is neither state-owned or state-controlled in that sense that the government doesn't pay for it and it doesn't have editorial control over content. The BBC is subject to a Royal Charter which is the constitutional basis for the BBC.15 Jun 2019

The claim that "just about any" Western media outlet isn't independent of government is retreating further and further beyond the horizon of rationality.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#215  Postby Mike_L » Jul 27, 2019 4:38 pm

newolder wrote:

The BBC is neither state-owned or state-controlled in that sense that the government doesn't pay for it and it doesn't have editorial control over content. The BBC is subject to a Royal Charter which is the constitutional basis for the BBC.15 Jun 2019

So, in the UK all you have to do is use the word 'Royal' and it nullifies any involvement of the government. (I suppose the UK government doesn't have any control over the Royal Air Force or the Royal Navy either?)

From Wikipedia...
The BBC is established under a Royal Charter and operates under its Agreement with the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

That is, of course, a Cabinet -- i.e. government -- position.

Its work is funded principally by an annual television licence fee which is charged to all British households, companies, and organisations using any type of equipment to receive or record live television broadcasts and iPlayer catch-up. The fee is set by the British Government, agreed by Parliament, and used to fund the BBC's radio, TV, and online services covering the nations and regions of the UK.

Awful lot of government there.

The licence fee is classified as a tax, and its evasion is a criminal offence. Since 1991, collection and enforcement of the licence fee has been the responsibility of the BBC in its role as TV Licensing Authority. Thus, the BBC is a major prosecuting authority in England and Wales and an investigating authority in the UK as a whole. The BBC carries out surveillance (mostly using subcontractors) on properties (under the auspices of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000) and may conduct searches of a property using a search warrant.

Wow! It's even a tax collector, a prosecuting authority and a surveillance organisation!
Oops! I meant to say 'Royal tax collector', 'Royal prosecuting authority' and 'Royal surveillance organisation'.

newolder wrote:

The BBC is neither state-owned or state-controlled in that sense that the government doesn't pay for it and it doesn't have editorial control over content.

...and yet, as we've seen, the BBC is willing to flight the sort of propaganda that justifies the UK govt's military adventurism.
And when the Foreign Office tells the BBC to shut up, the BBC dutifully shuts up.

So, from now on... no criticisms of RRT (Royal Russia Today) for its Kremlin links! :naughty:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#216  Postby Mike_L » Jul 27, 2019 4:44 pm

Spinozasgalt wrote:
Mike_L wrote:Both Carlson and Greenwald have been maligned by one of Ratskep's most beloved. That's the Ratskep vanguard of liberalism these days... denouncing anti-war voices as a "red-brown alliance" because of supposed racism or defense of racists... or whatever... the reliability of a journalist or television host judged by how closely he hews to the prevailing PC narrative of the left.

I also maligned Caitlin Johnstone, Max Blumenthal, Michael Tracey, Jimmy Dore, Aaron Maté. I'll get to others like Ben Norton, Abby Martin and Rania Khalek eventually. Just give me time.

I can't wait to see who is the last man standing last heterosexual cisgender pacifist journalist standing!
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#217  Postby newolder » Jul 27, 2019 4:51 pm

Mike_L wrote:...
newolder wrote:

The BBC is neither state-owned or state-controlled in that sense that the government doesn't pay for it and it doesn't have editorial control over content.

...and yet, as we've seen, the BBC is willing to flight the sort of propaganda that justifies the UK govt's military adventurism.
And when the Foreign Office tells the BBC to shut up, the BBC dutifully shuts up.

So, from now on... no criticisms of RRT (Royal Russia Today) for its Kremlin links! :naughty:

There was an observation that RT is funded, in whole or in part, by the Russian Government. You have failed to demonstrate that what the "just about any" of the independent Western media outlets publish is a result of government funding.

I'll criticise what I like, thanks. :coffee:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#218  Postby newolder » Jul 27, 2019 5:39 pm

Seems like some Russians have ambitions to protest against Putin on the streets of Moscow.
Petrovka, one of Moscow’s most upscale streets has been blocked now with protesters chanting “Putin is a thief”

Twitter link showing video

Stop/starty live stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tBgaP7DNlI

Improved stream from Global News with folk being arrested/detained: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=901_PytORSU

No sign of RT coverage yet... :popcorn:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#219  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 27, 2019 5:58 pm

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#220  Postby newolder » Jul 27, 2019 6:07 pm

^Of vital interest to all Russians, no doubt. :roll: Oops! Hadn't watched it first - thought it was current RT live coverage but that's about the UK MoD and how colonialism worked.

Meanwhile
Garry Kasparov
@Kasparov63
·
28m
Replying to
@Kasparov63
These brave protesters in Russia are sending a message in blood not just to Putin, but to the European leaders who welcome Putin's brutal regime with open arms and open pockets.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs