Sell everything ahead of stock market crash, say RBS economi

Shouting wolf again.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Sell everything ahead of stock market crash, say RBS economi

#101  Postby Thommo » Jun 09, 2016 10:51 am

To be honest I fully intend to make a donation win or lose myself. And I'm going to pressure you in absolutely no way if I win, demanding no proof beyond your word that you oblige. :tehe:

Cancer research sounds like a good pick though.
Thommo

Print view this post

#102  Postby Thommo » Jan 09, 2017 5:54 pm

So 1st January 2017 has been and gone. Consider this a gentle poke Boyle. :tehe:

:whistle:
Thommo

Print view this post

#103  Postby Macdoc » Jan 09, 2017 7:28 pm

Just wait for it ....
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#105  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jan 09, 2017 9:20 pm

Maybe it happened and we just haven't found out about it yet.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#106  Postby BWE » Jan 09, 2017 9:27 pm

Oh. It will happen. It will happen. The author just forgot to carry the 7 when interpreting the Bible codes.
BWE

Print view this post

#107  Postby Macdoc » Jan 09, 2017 9:47 pm

Maybe it happened and we just haven't found out about it yet.

Some truth in that....

Deutsche bank is right on the brink....

Will the German government let the lights go out on Deutsche Bank?
www.telegraph.co.uk › Business
Oct 1, 2016 - Financiers will not thank him for the comparison, but German central banker Andreas Dombret has ... for the next five million years, nor do we expect an impact that brings the whole banking system to the brink. ... Deutsche Bank (@ DeutscheBank) September 28, 2016 .... Bovis warned on profit in December.

So are the Italian Banks

Italian Banks on the Brink - The Wall Street Examiner
wallstreetexaminer.com/2016/12/italian-banks-brink/
Dec 2, 2016 - Italian Banks on the Brink. by James Rickards • December 2, 2016 ... Germany won't like that, but if they don't bail-in Deutsche Bank, the ...

and some with a pretty fine record are predicting dire near future

http://economyandmarkets.com/exclusives ... -mid-2017/

80% Stock Market Crash To Strike in 2017, Economist Warns
BY JL YASTINE January 9, 2017
Several noted economists and distinguished investors are warning of a stock market crash.

Jim Rogers, who founded the Quantum Fund with George Soros, went apocalyptic when he said, “A $68 trillion ‘Biblical’ collapse is poised to wipe out millions of Americans.”

Mark Faber, Dr. Doom himself, recently told CNBC that “investors are on the Titanic” and stocks are about to “endure a gut-wrenching drop that would rival the greatest crashes in stock market history.”

And the prophetic economist Andrew Smithers warns, “U.S. stocks are now about 80% overvalued.”

Smithers backs up his prediction using a ratio which proves that the only time in history stocks were this risky was 1929 and 1999. And we all know what happened next. Stocks fell by 89% and 50%, respectively.

http://thesovereigninvestor.com/exclusi ... e-in-2016/

and these lightweights are positioning for the crunch

http://totalwealthresearch.com/rickards ... economist/
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#109  Postby Thommo » Jan 09, 2017 10:21 pm

So, ah, this time last year (some) economists were forecasting that in the next 12 months there'd be a huge crash. Having seen that they got it wrong, does the correct response seem to be to assume that when they say the same things we should take them more seriously, or less?

John Kenneth Galbraith wrote:The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable.

Yes, there will ultimately be a recession some time, in some places, to some degree. Anyone who forecasts that every year there will be a recession (although of unspecified degree) is pretty much bound to be right in the manner of a stopped clock. But we should probably not be too impressed by that. Maybe.
Thommo

Print view this post

#110  Postby Macdoc » Jan 09, 2017 10:31 pm

We usually can ride out a downturn as we are low overhead - people fix their Macs instead of buying new, I have no real estate or stocks to worry about as I don't speculate.
We've been through a couple in the 31 years we've been operating - just have to watch receivables and we have a very well funded US partner and another who we affectionately call "the banker" to help out when needed.

Banks are bit stronger than in 2008 with the exception of some who are far worse off. Corporations are sitting on tons of cash. Real estate and consumer debts are off the chart and banks are ar far from immune despite their improved funding...there are no bright spots except the transition off coal and oil which is providing good jobs and opportunity.

Brexit ain't helping nor is the Dumpf

•••

Thommo you don't need to be an economist to see the crash coming...it's only a matter of timing and when. Devaluation and deflation is long long overdue and has only been propped up by negative or zero interest rates and govs frantic to keep things on some sort of an even keep....they have run out of room.

Financial markets seem to expect that political turmoil will indeed lead to another change of economic regime. Since the American election the MSCI World equity index has rallied and the Dow Jones Industrial Average has hit record highs. Valuations reflect this optimism. In the early 1980s price-earnings ratios were in single digits. In contrast, the S&P 500 now trades on an historic price-earnings ratio of 25. Another contrast with the 1980s is that, back then, short-term interest rates were at double-digit levels and equity valuations were able to climb as rates fell. That cannot happen now.

So what kind of economic regime are investors expecting? They seem to be cherry-picking the best bits from the previous two regimes—the tax cuts and deregulation of the 1980s with an expectation that (as under Bretton Woods) fiscal, rather than monetary, policy will be used to smooth the ups and downs of the cycle.

But the populist revolt is, in large part, a reaction against the free movement of capital and labour that has made so many financiers rich. A much bleaker outcome is possible, whereby rising nationalism leads to trade wars and an ageing workforce makes it impossible for the rich world to regain the growth rates of past decades. Change is coming. But rather than resembling the 1980s, the new regime could look more like the 1930s.

http://www.economist.com/news/finance-a ... hich-world

caveat emptor
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#111  Postby Acetone » Jan 09, 2017 10:46 pm

I think we're more capable today to handle a largish crash. It'll be tough but it won't be no 1930s.
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Scared of Everything Model

#112  Postby fisherman » Jan 09, 2017 10:48 pm

The biggest Norwegian pension fund always fears the worst outcome. And it’s a strategy that’s paying off.

With interest rates still close to historic lows and a series of global political shocks upending many investment strategies, Norway’s biggest life insurer, Kommunal Landspensjonskasse, says its approach is to be “scared of everything.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-09/-53-billion-fund-in-norway-offers-scared-of-everything-model
fisherman

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#113  Postby Thommo » Jan 09, 2017 10:56 pm

Macdoc wrote:Brexit ain't helping nor is the Dumpf

Conversely there's no actual evidence whatsoever of a Brexit effect having already occurred. Oh, it might occur. But nine months ago I was repeatedly informed that in the event of a decision to leave the EU it would have already occurred by now, so a pinch of salt is required.

Macdoc wrote:Thommo you don't need to be an economist to see the crash coming...it's only a matter of timing and when.

Yes, in exactly the way you don't need to be a watchmaker to know a stopped watch will eventually be right. I certainly wouldn't disagree with this.

The downside of this is that it's not actually informative in any way. It's too vague and general to be of use.

Last year you asked this question, in much the same vein:-
Macdoc wrote:was he prescient....???

(full context in the link from clicking the word "wrote" to the right of Macdoc's name)

And the answer was just a straight up "no". Eternal pessimism turns out to be a fairly inaccurate position.
Thommo

Print view this post

#114  Postby I'm With Stupid » Jan 10, 2017 1:48 am

It seems to me like the field of economics seems to have done more than its fair share to contribute to this lack of trust of experts in recent years. Shame it spills into fields where people actually know what they're talking about.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#115  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Jan 10, 2017 2:18 pm

I was looking for a "psychic predictions for 2016 results" thread, and this is what I found...
WayOfTheDodo

Name: Raphus Cucullatus

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#116  Postby Macdoc » Jan 10, 2017 10:17 pm

So Thommo you gonna buy a house in an overheated market ??? Buy stocks near the top ??

Brexit effect having already occurred. Oh, it might occur. But nine months ago I was repeatedly informed that in the event of a decision to leave the EU it

Pound Drops to Three-Decade Low Against Dollar on Brexit Concerns ...
http://www.wsj.com/.../pound-drops-to-3 ... exit-con...
Oct 5, 2016 - The pound fell to a three-decade low against the dollar, trading below the levels it hit after Britain voted to leave the European Union in June.

It can levitate a while longer ....cumulative risks with no relief - its only useful if you have action to take...ie a house or stocks to unload or decide to leverage yourself.

The true folly is thinking there will not be a correction and your new found "wealth" is locked in stone.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#117  Postby Thommo » Jan 10, 2017 11:21 pm

Macdoc wrote:So Thommo you gonna buy a house in an overheated market ??? Buy stocks near the top ??

I don't know, I might. I certainly wouldn't do it intentionally but sadly, I don't have a crystal ball and consequently don't know where the top is. I realise that you seem to think this is the top of the housing market (as you did last year) and the top of the stop market (as you did last year), but that's not really the same thing.

I suspect that you're in the same boat of not having a crystal ball since you did make the same case this time last year that it was the top, and since then we've seen huge rises in both share prices and house prices in this neck of the woods.

Macdoc wrote:It can levitate a while longer ....cumulative risks with no relief - its only useful if you have action to take...ie a house or stocks to unload or decide to leverage yourself.

This isn't very clear, what is the object of the two pronouns "it" in those sentences?

Macdoc wrote:The true folly is thinking there will not be a correction and your new found "wealth" is locked in stone.

Nobody's doing that, so there's no need to fret over it. The question, I think, was whether there will be a stock market crash or recession in the calendar year 2017.

As I've already indicated, I agree that there will be unspecified negative consequences as measured by unspecified economic indicators at an unspecified date in the future. I just happen to think that's not particularly insightful.

PS: Since we weren't talking about currency markets I haven't responded to the (irrelevant) stuff about that, I don't think we'll benefit from moving the goalposts, it's just liable to produce miscommunications and misunderstandings, I hope you understand! :smile:
Thommo

Print view this post

#118  Postby VazScep » Jan 11, 2017 9:30 pm

Heed my words. The US Dollar will collapse on September 27 2016.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#119  Postby Macdoc » Jan 11, 2017 11:24 pm

I wish.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#120  Postby Thommo » Jan 12, 2017 12:00 am

I can't even watch those videos now. :(
Thommo

Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs