Snap UK General Election

June 8th 2017

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Snap UK General Election

#441  Postby chairman bill » May 13, 2017 8:30 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Portugal was not trying to leave the EU and it had a strong and stable currency. All those figures are useless if the economy is collapsing and your currency is going down the shitter.

A truly insightful analysis
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#442  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 13, 2017 8:46 am

Very strong and stable. :lol:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#443  Postby chairman bill » May 14, 2017 6:08 pm

Most of the polling companies, may be all of them, are owned by Tories. The company that oversees the election counting (yes, that's been privatised), is owned by a Tory. We're constantly being told how badly Labour are doing in the polls, so it will not be any surprise when they lose. But what if Labour's really ahead, and Labour actually wins the popular vote? How would we ever know?
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#444  Postby Fallible » May 14, 2017 6:38 pm

:(
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#445  Postby Pebble » May 14, 2017 6:41 pm

chairman bill wrote:Most of the polling companies, may be all of them, are owned by Tories. The company that oversees the election counting (yes, that's been privatised), is owned by a Tory. We're constantly being told how badly Labour are doing in the polls, so it will not be any surprise when they lose. But what if Labour's really ahead, and Labour actually wins the popular vote? How would we ever know?

There is a section for conspiracy theories - unless you want to present evidence?
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#446  Postby fisherman » May 14, 2017 6:43 pm

The Tories clearly test where the red line is, but has anything in particular caught your eye that makes you think the Tories would screw with the vote count?

Electoral Commission
fisherman

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#447  Postby fisherman » May 14, 2017 7:12 pm

Pebble wrote:
chairman bill wrote:Most of the polling companies, may be all of them, are owned by Tories. The company that oversees the election counting (yes, that's been privatised), is owned by a Tory. We're constantly being told how badly Labour are doing in the polls, so it will not be any surprise when they lose. But what if Labour's really ahead, and Labour actually wins the popular vote? How would we ever know?

There is a section for conspiracy theories - unless you want to present evidence?

The Guardian has been running a few articles recently on the activities of Cambridge Analytica, which might amount to a conspiracy to subvert UK democracy. It all leaves me feeling uneasy.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/01/dark-money-threat-to-uk-elections-integrity
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/07/the-great-british-brexit-robbery-hijacked-democracy
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/14/robert-mercer-cambridge-analytica-leave-eu-referendum-brexit-campaigns
fisherman

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#448  Postby Pebble » May 14, 2017 9:36 pm

Have read them, does not implicate Tories, rather suggests that businesses are doing what they have always done, just with new tools. The Brexiteers didn't bother with the polling companies.
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#449  Postby GrahamH » May 14, 2017 9:56 pm

Pebble wrote:Have read them, does not implicate Tories, rather suggests that businesses are doing what they have always done, just with new tools. The Brexiteers didn't bother with the polling companies.

If you read the article you will see it implies election laws on spending were broken in a conspiracy to subvert the democratic process. I don't know if the report is accurate, but it's not business as usual.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#450  Postby Byron » May 14, 2017 10:01 pm

Push polling undoubtedly goes on, but not to the extent of wholesale fraud, for the simple reason that a polling company that consistently gets it spectacularly wrong ain't gonna have many clients. Push polling in far more subtle, subtly massaging opinion with slanted questions.

Regardless, the council elections gave a clear indication of what's gonna happen, and disturbingly for Labour, not only saw the party's tribal support collapse, but also saw the collapse of the tribal refusal to vote Tory.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#451  Postby Byron » May 14, 2017 10:08 pm

GrahamH wrote:
Pebble wrote:Have read them, does not implicate Tories, rather suggests that businesses are doing what they have always done, just with new tools. The Brexiteers didn't bother with the polling companies.

If you read the article you will see it implies election laws on spending were broken in a conspiracy to subvert the democratic process. I don't know if the report is accurate, but it's not business as usual.

Yup, and it never will be again, 'cause the electoral spending laws are obsolete.

It's not even the cliche of analogue laws for a digital world: British electoral laws, obsessed with capping local spending, as if it's just a case of stopping the squire from bribing his electors with victuals and ale, have barely made it into the 20th century. In an age of smartphones and data-mining, they're not even a joke.

I've defended America's Citizens United ruling on here before on principled grounds, but the practical case has also become overwhelming. With global mass-communications, there's no practical way to control electoral speech. That being so, end the restrictions, and allow all sides to speak as they wish: until that happens, elections will be won by the most unscrupulous.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#452  Postby ronmcd » May 14, 2017 10:16 pm

To be honest I think the polling companies owned by Tories don't need to do anything dodgy in a political sense, because the polling companies will ask any ridiculous & leading question *when their customer asks them to*, and with the majority being commissioned by the right wing newspapers ...
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#453  Postby Byron » May 14, 2017 10:29 pm

ronmcd wrote:To be honest I think the polling companies owned by Tories don't need to do anything dodgy in a political sense, because the polling companies will ask any ridiculous & leading question *when their customer asks them to*, and with the majority being commissioned by the right wing newspapers ...

Such as abolishing Westminster (hmmm, now you mention it ;) ).

Exactly: fun as it'd be, no grand conspiracy's necessary. Polling companies exist to serve their clients, which is anyone who hires them. A company that churned out junk wouldn't stay in the game for long. To work, even push polls -- especially push polls -- need credibility.

Labour just aren't popular, Bill, despite fielding many popular policies. On this, the polls don't lie. Sure, a lota that's down to the smear campaign directed at Corbyn, but that's where we are. It may be possible to fight back, at least limiting the Tories' majority, maybe even achieving a hung parliament; but denying the problem just guarantees defeat.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#454  Postby OlivierK » May 15, 2017 1:13 am

If you dig around for the detail, it's possible to find the exact question wording for most if not all of the major opinion polls. It's usually pretty fair. The worst that's usually on offer is asking for voting intention after some selective/skewed questions on individual policies, but most polling is pretty straight-down-the-line "In the June 8 General election, which party do you intend to vote for?" sort of stuff.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#455  Postby Matt_B » May 15, 2017 9:45 am

Yes, the pollsters tend to be both fair with the question and accurate with the reporting when it comes to things like general election voting. It's not exactly in their interests to do otherwise.

Where they tend to fall down is with shy voter effects. While it might often work to assume that those with unknown intentions will split roughly equally, we've recently seen a fair few votes where they've significantly skewed to one side, and that's almost always been to the right. Mind you, the hard Brexit crowd certainly isn't shy these days, and the far-right have under-performed in every European election since the UK referendum, so perhaps it'll be Labour voters bottling it up until election day this time around; even if they are though, I doubt they're likely to make much of an inroad into a 17% lead.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#456  Postby OlivierK » May 15, 2017 10:27 am

To give credit to mrjonno, he's long gone on about how Labour would be fucked if the Tory and UKIP vote merged, which is basically what seems to be happening. Labour (and the LibDems) are consistently polling around what they achieved in 2015.
Last edited by OlivierK on May 15, 2017 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#457  Postby GrahamH » May 15, 2017 10:28 am

Byron wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

Yup, and it never will be again, 'cause the electoral spending laws are obsolete.

It's not even the cliche of analogue laws for a digital world: British electoral laws, obsessed with capping local spending, as if it's just a case of stopping the squire from bribing his electors with victuals and ale, have barely made it into the 20th century. In an age of smartphones and data-mining, they're not even a joke.

I've defended America's Citizens United ruling on here before on principled grounds, but the practical case has also become overwhelming. With global mass-communications, there's no practical way to control electoral speech. That being so, end the restrictions, and allow all sides to speak as they wish: until that happens, elections will be won by the most unscrupulous.

You raise valid issues, but are you really so resigned to the rich and unscrupulous buying elections? Are you unconcerned about a rich foreign national covertly funding two apparently separate campaigns?

There could be some confusion about what I was commenting on, which was not polling companies but the Observer/Guardian reposrts on EU referendum campaing funding / manipulation mentioned in the post immediatle preceding mine.

fisherman wrote:
Pebble wrote:

The Guardian has been running a few articles recently on the activities of Cambridge Analytica, which might amount to a conspiracy to subvert UK democracy. It all leaves me feeling uneasy.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/01/dark-money-threat-to-uk-elections-integrity
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/07/the-great-british-brexit-robbery-hijacked-democracy
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/14/robert-mercer-cambridge-analytica-leave-eu-referendum-brexit-campaigns
Last edited by GrahamH on May 15, 2017 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#458  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 15, 2017 10:30 am

Accuracy is important for polling companies if they want future business. I agree Labour is in a shit position. Producing popular policies is not enough. The leader is also important and that is where it has failed.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#459  Postby ronmcd » May 15, 2017 11:23 am

OlivierK wrote:If you dig around for the detail, it's possible to find the exact question wording for most if not all of the major opinion polls. It's usually pretty fair. The worst that's usually on offer is asking for voting intention after some selective/skewed questions on individual policies, but most polling is pretty straight-down-the-line "In the June 8 General election, which party do you intend to vote for?" sort of stuff.

The order of asking the questions, eg following a leading question, makes a huge diffference to the outcome even when it's technically the same quesiton asked, after the setup questions. afaik
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#460  Postby Pebble » May 15, 2017 12:14 pm

GrahamH wrote:

Not clear what is ambiguous about "have read them" apparently I just skimmed through them without any fundamental understanding?

Perhaps if you look a little further up the thread, you can work out why I wrote, what I wrote. You think election rules are not flouted right, left and centre? I think we only get to hear about it when the occasional one gets caught.
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs