Snap UK General Election

June 8th 2017

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Snap UK General Election

#581  Postby ronmcd » May 29, 2017 10:59 pm

mcgruff wrote:
ronmcd wrote:I suspect it's not entirely serious.

Hard to fathom (but heartening to behold) how they can be so bad.

June 8th could be the funniest night since Wee Dougie Alexander was pumped by a student.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#582  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 29, 2017 10:59 pm

Byron wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Byron I know as the EU knows who voted for what. You have this thing about EFTA and the EEA. They are not floating. Those are exceptional countries with quite unique characteristics. Very few countries could live in those elevated positions. They want stronger ties in the EU. Do you understand how tight some want it? Even Greece wants it. Your EEA idea does not hold.

It's not my idea: plenty European leaders and, as mentioned, the EU's own negotiating guidelines have expressed a preference for the UK to remain within the EEA. The Fantasy Brexit May's currently seeking, whereby the UK gets to junk one of the Four Freedoms and cherrypick all the goodies from the EEA, isn't on offer: but I've yet to see any evidence that Brussels would close off the EEA even if the Four Freedoms are accepted. D'you have any?

Just what has been said by the EU negotiators. The EEA question could never be accepted by the Brexiteers. It ties them into everything they dont want. Paying for the privilege of the single market and accepting EU rules without being any part of their making. It is basically not the EU that is putting obstacles in the way but the UK. They only want their Fantasy Brexit which is no more than a pipe dream which brings back to the elections. May knows the pipe dream is just that and where else will she go?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#583  Postby Byron » May 29, 2017 11:00 pm

The majority's had decades of news on Europe being filtered through the pissants of the yellow press, Scot. Even if they hadn't, why should the minority (a rather substantial minority, larger than the populations of several small EU states combined) suffer for the actions of others?

Accepting the majority view until it changes is one thing. Deliberately going out to punish the entire UK population -- many of whom have dual-citizenship, or are EU citizens, so it's also punishing your own people -- is gangster tactics. If Brussels is truly going to resort to them, why should any country wish to remain a member?
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#584  Postby Byron » May 29, 2017 11:01 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Just what has been said by the EU negotiators. The EEA question could never be accepted by the Brexiteers. It ties them into everything they dont want. Paying for the privilege of the single market and accepting EU rules without being any part of their making. It is basically not the EU that is putting obstacles in the way but the UK. They only want their Fantasy Brexit which is no more than a pipe dream which brings back to the elections. May knows the pipe dream is just that and where else will she go?

Wait, you just said the EEA wasn't on offer: now it's the current British government refusing to accept its obligations. Those are two completely different positions!
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#585  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 29, 2017 11:08 pm

Byron wrote:The majority's had decades of news on Europe being filtered through the pissants of the yellow press, Scot. Even if they hadn't, why should the minority (a rather substantial minority, larger than the populations of several small EU states combined) suffer for the actions of others?

Accepting the majority view until it changes is one thing. Deliberately going out to punish the entire UK population -- many of whom have dual-citizenship, or are EU citizens, so it's also punishing your own people -- is gangster tactics. If Brussels is truly going to resort to them, why should any country wish to remain a member?

Going too far there sorry. Who is punishing? All the EU is doing is drawing solid red lines. The EU only deals with the government of the day. EU citizens in the UK are the first demand of the EU negotiators to be protected. It is the big token that the UK has laid on the table. It is not negotiable. There are no Mafia tactics just plain demands. May has realised this. It is the big one and the first one. Immigration protected? Just imagine how that will be received.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#586  Postby Byron » May 29, 2017 11:11 pm

I'm not referring to the red lines as gangster tactics: I'm referring to the EU refusing to allow the UK to remain in the EEA even if it accepts the Four Freedoms as gangster tactics. I don't believe that Brussels would do this, and from the sound of it, you don't either.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#587  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 29, 2017 11:12 pm

Byron wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Just what has been said by the EU negotiators. The EEA question could never be accepted by the Brexiteers. It ties them into everything they dont want. Paying for the privilege of the single market and accepting EU rules without being any part of their making. It is basically not the EU that is putting obstacles in the way but the UK. They only want their Fantasy Brexit which is no more than a pipe dream which brings back to the elections. May knows the pipe dream is just that and where else will she go?

Wait, you just said the EEA wasn't on offer: now it's the current British government refusing to accept its obligations. Those are two completely different positions!

It has no point. The UK presents two options; Fantasy Brexit and no deal. The EEA would be on offer if it had any purpose but May et al have said they are only interested in Fantasy and no deal. So why offer it.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#588  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 29, 2017 11:16 pm

Byron wrote:I'm not referring to the red lines as gangster tactics: I'm referring to the EU refusing to allow the UK to remain in the EEA even if it accepts the Four Freedoms as gangster tactics. I don't believe that Brussels would do this, and from the sound of it, you don't either.

Of course I dont but and there is a but. The Four Freedoms are sacrosanct. The UK accepts them or not and that is after the three demands. It is the venerable minefield. You get through one and another appears.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#589  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 29, 2017 11:18 pm

Anyway Byron thanks for the exchange bed calls. Until tomorrow Welterusten en slaap lekker.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#590  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 30, 2017 1:11 pm

Here's a Theresa May translator; what she really means:

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#591  Postby minininja » May 30, 2017 6:18 pm

Theresa May protest song 'liar liar' hits No 1 on iTunes

Captain Ska's song, which calls the PM a "liar", has been banned by radio stations despite reaching No 1 on iTunes.

A song describing Prime Minister Theresa May as a "liar" and calling the country "broken" has become the most downloaded on iTunes.

But although Captain Ska's anti-Tory song Liar Liar is proving popular among downloads, it is unlikely to be playing on a radio near you any time soon.

Liar Liar is set be the highest new entry on the UK Official Singles Chart this week, but impartiality rules during the election period mean it is unlikely to get radio air time, regardless of chart position.

The Big Top 40 show on Heart and Capital FM has banned the song from being played.

The song samples clips of Tory speeches and has the chorus "She's a liar liar, you can't trust her, no, no, no".

Another lyric talks about the NHS, saying: "When there's nurses going hungry and schools in decline, I don't recognise this broken country of mine."

[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#592  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 30, 2017 8:22 pm

"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#595  Postby ronmcd » May 30, 2017 10:07 pm

The only bad thing about that prediction? What's the betting the libs would prop up a minority Tory party rather than help form a progressive majority.

Oh, that's right, they'd need to be progressive for that.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#596  Postby Byron » May 30, 2017 10:12 pm

They may prop up the Tories, but won't be voting for any Brexit madness. Well, unless Indyref2's involved.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#597  Postby Calilasseia » May 31, 2017 2:09 am

ronmcd wrote:The only bad thing about that prediction? What's the betting the libs would prop up a minority Tory party rather than help form a progressive majority.

Oh, that's right, they'd need to be progressive for that.

People remember what they propped up when they sucked Cameron's cock. Siding with May will be suicide for them. And if they're going to abandon their principles in exchange for ministerial limousines, they fucking deserve it. Especially if that twat Farron decides to let his wank-break clusterfuck of attitudes towards gays be the motivator for the decision to side with the fucking succubus.

Byron wrote:They may prop up the Tories, but won't be voting for any Brexit madness. Well, unless Indyref2's involved.

Trouble is, propping up the Tories will make the Brexit madness all the more likely. At which point Sturgeon will push IndyRef2 hard. She's probably too well-mannered to use such words, but her effective thought will be neatly summed up as "fuck this, we're leaving the Union". NI will follow in short order, and what worries me about that is the prospects for the NI peace process unravelling in the ensuing shitstorm. Wales might even finally become sufficiently fed up with the shit flinging that constitutes policy formulation amongst the Little Englander brigade in the Tory Party, and decide to pull out as well. At which point, I predict we're looking at civil war in England within 12 months. In fact, I'm willing to bet that the simmering hatreds that have been unleashed by the Brexit shitfest, will hit flash point a good while before any actual dissolution of the Union. There's a lot of people under 40 in particular, who want revenge for the manner in which they've been stiffed by the "Wogs begin at Calais" part of the 65+ demographic, and Farron supporting a minority Tory government might just be the spark that ignites the combustible gases.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#598  Postby Byron » May 31, 2017 7:56 am

Well, could be looking at another general in 12 months, especially if May gets a pathetic majority, the Brexshit hits the fan, and the Tories go ahead and repeal the (apparently useless) Fixed-term Parliaments Act. Which does, admittedly, come pretty close these days.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#599  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 31, 2017 8:12 am

I dont think the LibDems will commit hara-kiri. After almost disappearing after the last coalition they are not that politically naive.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#600  Postby ronmcd » May 31, 2017 8:29 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:I dont think the LibDems will commit hara-kiri. After almost disappearing after the last coalition they are not that politically naive.

You just don't understand the POWER of the Dark Side.

(and ministerial limousines)
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs