Snap UK General Election

June 8th 2017

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Snap UK General Election

#601  Postby ronmcd » May 31, 2017 8:31 am

You see, this "the libdems wont do that again" idea seems logical, it really does. But it wasn't logical to prop up Ham Face last time either.

Unless you were, you know, a Tory, albeit dressed in yellow.

Ah. See. There's our problem.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#602  Postby ronmcd » May 31, 2017 8:33 am

Crumbs of power from the Tory table, that's the best the libs can hope for. That it will be short term again, losing them more progressive votes, again, well that will be somebody elses problem in the future.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#603  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 31, 2017 8:34 am

ronmcd wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:I dont think the LibDems will commit hara-kiri. After almost disappearing after the last coalition they are not that politically naive.

You just don't understand the POWER of the Dark Side.

(and ministerial limousines)

Sorry Ron. I still dont think they are that naive.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#604  Postby ronmcd » May 31, 2017 8:34 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
ronmcd wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:I dont think the LibDems will commit hara-kiri. After almost disappearing after the last coalition they are not that politically naive.

You just don't understand the POWER of the Dark Side.

(and ministerial limousines)

Sorry Ron. I still dont think they are that naive.

I'm not claiming they are naive.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#605  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 31, 2017 8:35 am

They have nothing to gain by supporting the tories.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#606  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 31, 2017 8:36 am

Let the tories hang themselves dont prevent them.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#607  Postby chairman bill » May 31, 2017 8:42 am

ronmcd wrote:LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Tonight: we reveal YouGov's first seat by seat projection of the campaign - suggests Tories fall 16 seats short of overall majority

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/stat ... 8892030976

If that turned out to be the result, all would rest on the DUP, and somehow I can't see them siding with a Tory Party set on a hard Brexit. We'd either have a minority Tory government unable to get anything substantial through Parliament, or a Labour/SNP/PC/LibDem/Green/SDLP coalition.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#608  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 31, 2017 8:47 am

Have a minority tory government and play with it. No point trying to organise a coalition especially when your system is not set up for it. We are having enough problems forming our government at the moment and politicians here are used to negotiate also we have strict rules on coalition forming.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#609  Postby ronmcd » May 31, 2017 8:48 am

chairman bill wrote:

If that turned out to be the result, all would rest on the DUP, and somehow I can't see them siding with a Tory Party set on a hard Brexit. We'd either have a minority Tory government unable to get anything substantial through Parliament, or a Labour/SNP/PC/LibDem/Green/SDLP coalition.

Are the DUP not in favour of brexit, harder the better? I got the impression they were the NI equivalent in this respect to Peter Bone, Iain Duncan Smith, and the other nutters?
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#610  Postby ronmcd » May 31, 2017 8:50 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Have a minority tory government and play with it.

People will die if they are in government. Minority or not.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#611  Postby ronmcd » May 31, 2017 8:50 am

They need to be prevented from holding power by the others. But I fully expect the libs to dissolve into wet puddles of pathetic pisswater in the face of the opportunity.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#613  Postby chairman bill » May 31, 2017 8:59 am

ronmcd wrote:
chairman bill wrote:

Are the DUP not in favour of brexit, harder the better? I got the impression they were the NI equivalent in this respect to Peter Bone, Iain Duncan Smith, and the other nutters?

But not a hard Brexit; they're well aware that many of their supporters probably voted Remain. The Ulster Unionists were pro Remain, as were the Alliance, SDLP & Sinn Fein. If there's no major upsets in NI, that'll be about 8 DUP seats, 4 or 5 Sinn Fein (so don't count, 'cos they don't take their seats), 3 or 4 SDLP & 1 or 2 Ulster Unionists.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#614  Postby ronmcd » May 31, 2017 10:45 am

chairman bill wrote:
ronmcd wrote:
chairman bill wrote:

But not a hard Brexit; they're well aware that many of their supporters probably voted Remain. The Ulster Unionists were pro Remain, as were the Alliance, SDLP & Sinn Fein. If there's no major upsets in NI, that'll be about 8 DUP seats, 4 or 5 Sinn Fein (so don't count, 'cos they don't take their seats), 3 or 4 SDLP & 1 or 2 Ulster Unionists.

It's just whenever I hear the DUP say ... well anything, it's invariably about as far off the nutter scale as the Tory nutters, including on brexit. I'm talking Reese-Mogg or Philip Davies levels of nut.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#615  Postby ronmcd » May 31, 2017 11:28 am

#Breaking Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn set to announce he will take part in tonight's live TV general election debate, according to sources

https://twitter.com/PA/status/869873652711477248

AHAHAHAHAHAHA! Fuck you, May.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#616  Postby ronmcd » May 31, 2017 11:33 am

And BBC have confirmed Corbyn is taking part.

I might watch this tonight. Corbyn, Angus Robertson for SNP (good, he's excellent as we all know from PMQs), Caroline Lucas, Leanne (Natalie?) Wood, Eddie Hitler, Amber Rudd .... I'm off out to get some beer in. (that's not a joke, btw)
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#617  Postby Calilasseia » May 31, 2017 1:49 pm

So May is still running scared, and sends a lackey in her place?
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#618  Postby ronmcd » May 31, 2017 3:42 pm

Calilasseia wrote:So May is still running scared, and sends a lackey in her place?

She will soon be running scared from her own Tory candidates ...

Tory candidates speak out about the "clusterfuck" of Theresa May's campaign http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/t ... 0ffc834f06

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/ ... 3608916993
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#619  Postby ronmcd » May 31, 2017 3:44 pm

Theresa May is genuinely losing it.

https://twitter.com/politicshome/status ... 8827036674
Theresa May on Corbyn's debate challenge: “He ought to be paying more attention to thinking abt Brexit negotiations – that’s what I’m doing”

to which the correct response of course, is:

https://twitter.com/Claire_Phipps/statu ... 9753484289
It's *so* annoying that *someone* called an election right when Theresa May was trying to concentrate on Brexit
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#620  Postby mcgruff » May 31, 2017 4:24 pm

Found on twitter: "if May doesn't turn up for her job interview will she have her benefits suspended?"
mcgruff

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs