SNP Watch

Scottish separatists' very own thread

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: SNP Watch

#1221  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 13, 2016 2:25 pm

How about three ways?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1222  Postby mrjonno » Oct 13, 2016 2:26 pm

Byron wrote:I agree that Whitehall can't take on Scotland and Brussels simultaneously, at least. Especially not with Brussels rolling out the red carpet to Scottish EU membership (not out of any love of Caledonian aspirations; the Eurocrats are itching to punish the UK for Brexit, and what better way than chopping it in half).

I wouldn't put it past the Tories sending in the troops to seize Holyrood but I would love to see any civilised country trade with the UK in these circumstances (China wouldn't care about the troops but would care about the lack of economic stability here)
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1223  Postby Byron » Oct 13, 2016 2:33 pm

mrjonno wrote:I wouldn't put it past the Tories sending in the troops to seize Holyrood but I would love to see any civilised country trade with the UK in these circumstances (China wouldn't care about the troops but would care about the lack of economic stability here)

Even if they wanted to go that way, given that it'd risk a full-scale mutiny (there being rather a lot of Scottish regiments, soldiers, and soldiers with Scottish families), and would certainly lead to a civil war (with the Scottish government, controlling the machinery of state north of the border, being in a much stronger position that the Sinn Féin in 1918), we can safely class this alongside your other entertaining but unlikely scenarios.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#1224  Postby mrjonno » Oct 13, 2016 2:59 pm

Byron wrote:
mrjonno wrote:I wouldn't put it past the Tories sending in the troops to seize Holyrood but I would love to see any civilised country trade with the UK in these circumstances (China wouldn't care about the troops but would care about the lack of economic stability here)

Even if they wanted to go that way, given that it'd risk a full-scale mutiny (there being rather a lot of Scottish regiments, soldiers, and soldiers with Scottish families), and would certainly lead to a civil war (with the Scottish government, controlling the machinery of state north of the border, being in a much stronger position that the Sinn Féin in 1918), we can safely class this alongside your other entertaining but unlikely scenarios.

With Brexit we have gone past the limits of normal civilised sane politics, anything is possible now. It's certainly no less likely than Scotland declaring unilateral independence which you have suggested as a policy which is just putting up two fingers and saying 'bring it on'
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1225  Postby Byron » Oct 13, 2016 3:03 pm

mrjonno wrote:With Brexit we have gone past the limits of normal civilised sane politics, anything is possible now. It's certainly no less likely than Scotland declaring unilateral independence which you have suggested as a policy which is just putting up two fingers and saying 'bring it on'

I haven't suggested UDI as a policy: I said it'd be inevitable in an extremely unlikely scenario of Westminster vetoing Indyref2, Holyrood holding it anyway, and Westminster refusing to recognize the result. In that fantastical circumstance, it'd be justifiable.

The policy I suggest is Indyref2 if Scotland's material interests can't be met within the Union. If Whitehall comes to its senses, undertakes to do all it can to keep Scotland in Europe (either the Greenland model, or via a treaty), then the necessity for independence in this Holyrood term obviously diminishes.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#1227  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 13, 2016 5:49 pm

In English? Fuck twitter talk please.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1228  Postby ronmcd » Oct 13, 2016 6:32 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:In English? Fuck twitter talk please.

Ironically, it took me a few moments to decipher what you were saying there.

So you want me to rewrite someone elses words (English, I believe) into a longer form, so you find it easier to read?

Oranges.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1229  Postby ronmcd » Oct 13, 2016 7:46 pm

Scottish Labour:
The SNP’s plan for #indyref2 confirms that Nicola Sturgeon’s priority is not education, or healthcare, or tackling poverty.

Idiots.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1230  Postby Byron » Oct 13, 2016 7:59 pm

Another belter from Paul Kavanagh over at Wee Ginger Dug:-
The sluagh ghairm of the second Scottish independence referendum is ringing from the hills and glens of the country. All across this ancient land, an anguished people cry out, “It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for Pot Noodle and Marmite, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.” ...
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#1231  Postby CarlPierce » Oct 13, 2016 8:29 pm

This thread wants to find its own independent website elsewhere.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1232  Postby Byron » Oct 13, 2016 8:31 pm

CarlPierce wrote:This thread wants to find its own independent website elsewhere.

Nah, 'fraid it's perpetual union. :tongue:
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#1236  Postby Byron » Oct 15, 2016 12:36 pm

So, lots of bluster from Downing St. about Indyref1 being "respected" (the same obligation doesn't attach to any of the promises used to achieve it, naturally). A glaring absence of any clear statement from May herself (nor even the anonymous lickspittle mouthpiece who did her dirty work in the press: 419 scammers have more dignity) attempting to veto Indyref2.

She knows full and well that any attempt to block a second referendum is both legally dubious, and politically disastrous, potentially blasting nationalist sentiment way past that magic 50% barrier and into the 60% zone Sturgeon cherishes.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#1237  Postby Scarlett » Oct 16, 2016 3:46 pm

Byron wrote:Another belter from Paul Kavanagh over at Wee Ginger Dug:-
The sluagh ghairm of the second Scottish independence referendum is ringing from the hills and glens of the country. All across this ancient land, an anguished people cry out, “It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for Pot Noodle and Marmite, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.” ...

I went to a talk with Paul a few weeks ago, he's great, and his wee (not actually that wee) dug is just adorable!
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1238  Postby Scarlett » Oct 16, 2016 3:47 pm

CarlPierce wrote:This thread wants to find its own independent website elsewhere.

Erm, thinking abou it....... no. I've decided you just shouldn't click on it...
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1239  Postby ronmcd » Oct 16, 2016 7:49 pm

Unusually emotional scenes for a party conference leader's speech, check the video if anyone hasn't seen the clip. Definitely something in the eye... :
An emotional @NicolaSturgeon announces "root and branch review" of care system as heart cards waved #SNP16

https://twitter.com/BBCScotlandNews/sta ... 7200773120

The response was of course whined about by some people as being staged, they were "snp youth", etc, actually the whocarescotland.org young people brought those hearts along hoping they might have something to cheer. And they did.

For all the naysayers of the Care kids, sometimes love isn't pre planned. Love is free from agenda and shines the light of hope. #snp16

https://twitter.com/ROSAZAMBONINI/statu ... 8816201728
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1240  Postby ronmcd » Oct 18, 2016 11:42 pm

A fascinating evening watching the reaction to probably the most stomach churning smear article I've read in a long time, from the ever fragrant Nick Cohen, defending one of his anti-SNP pro-israel right wing journo pals and using it as an excuse to claim - hilariously - that SNP are fawned over by a totally compliant media in 'one party state' scotland. Just staggering. The thing that scares me is other journos who (like Cohen) know fuck all about Scotland will *believe* this fucking garbage.

I'm no particular fan of ex diplomat Craig Murray, but his article today is spot on.

It is very hard to understand why The Spectator would wish to pay Nick Cohen substantial money to write a column defending Brian Spanner and Stephen Daisley, and claiming the SNP has destroyed free media in Scotland.

To start with the most astonishing, Nick Cohen vociferously denies that “Brian Spanner” is a misogynist. Yet his own article contains a series of appalling tweets from Spanner, sent to Cohen by John Nicolson MP in an effort to make Cohen see sense. They include these tweets:

Margaret Curran: is she a victim of FGM? She is a torn faced cunt.
Mhairi Black is a nasty little fuck.
Poor Roseanna Cunningham. The change really has made her a bitter shovelled old cunt.

Plainly Cohen’s repeated assertion that Spanner is not misogynist is simply a lie. Cohen’s argument – that Spanner could not be misogynist as he is a friend of J K Rowling – is nonsensical. For those who were not already aware of her appalling neo-con politics, Rowling’s friendship with whoever “Spanner” really is might give some worrying indication of Rowling’s character. But it can in no way be said to prove Spanner is not misogynist. I am not sure it is possible to imagine more misogynist material than the above.

Long term readers of this blog will know that Daisley and Cohen are old comrades in arms. Daisley, Cohen, Murdoch attack dog Oliver Kamm and the Guardian’s Hadley Freeman indulged together in a mainstream media anti-Craig Murray hate fest on twitter.

A year ago I published about Daisley:

It is amazing to me that a supposed “journalist” working for a broadcaster would be so completely open about their anti-SNP, unionist, anti-Corbyn and far right agenda. Daisley is only very small beer, a stinking, sweating foot-soldier of the forces of reaction. But if you can stand it, the way the unionist establishment interacts and thinks is revealed very clearly from a study of his twitter feed. Messages are exchanged with Aaronovitch of Murdoch, Nick Cohen of the Guardian, with John McTernan of the Blairites and with J K Rowling of the 1%, and a great many others. The SNP and Corbyn are smugly derided by all. These well-paid state supporters live in a cosy Panglossian paradise and have contempt for anyone who is not “in”.

Cohen’s fury that a member of his neo-con clique should be denigrated, leads him to deny the existence of the most extreme misogyny imaginable. It also leads him to make the laughable assertion that the SNP control the media in Scotland. In Scotland the BBC, STV and 80% of the newspapers are viciously anti-SNP. Plainly that is not enough for Cohen. He hates the SNP for providing an alternative to unionism, he hates Corbyn for providing an alternative to neo-liberalism, and he hates the idea of anybody criticising the neo-con cheerleaders. His pathology is simple enough. But why does the Spectator pay him for it?

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives ... -unionism/
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs