South Africa's disgraceful lion-breeding industry.

Bred in captivity... for sport.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: South Africa's disgraceful lion-breeding industry.

#181  Postby Onyx8 » Aug 05, 2015 6:56 pm

Is someone here doing that?
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#182  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 05, 2015 6:56 pm

Seabass wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:
reasons for eating meat are no superior to a hunter's reasons for killing lions.

I'm a meat-eater, and I totally agree with you. I eat animals, not because I need to, but because it gives me pleasure. For me to try to claim moral high ground over this lion hunter would be completely ridiculous and hypocritical.

I actually tried to go vegetarian in my early twenties and managed to abstain from meat consumption for a little over a year, but I eventually ran out willpower, unfortunately. It ain't easy being vegan when you're surrounded by people eating delicious steaks and meaty burritos in front of you.

I shudder to think of all the animals that have died in my lifetime merely to satisfy my taste buds. It's a genuine source of shame and self-loathing, when I really think about it. Fortunately, I manage to not think about it very often, but I'm not going to try to justify it with weird, moral mental gymnastics.

Good for you. I completely support your right to eat meat, and my "feelies" are wholly unmoved by it :cheers:
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#183  Postby campermon » Aug 05, 2015 7:53 pm

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
All,

The topic of killing animals, for whatever reason, is an emotive one and will provoke strong reactions from those who hold different views on the subject. This thread is no exception.

Having read the thread, several times, it is clear to me that the majority here (meat eaters and otherwise) are in agreement that the industry and those who partake in the form of hunting in question are abhorrent. So, in that sense, the thread has served its purpose of informing the membership of this practice.

However, the posting has expanded beyond the original topic thus prompting members to report others for being off topic. The nub of this issue is the view held by some that killing animals for the pleasure of killing them is morally equivalent to the killing of animals for the pleasure of consuming them and their products.

In order to preserve the continuity of this thread, I have decided not to split off posts into a new thread, but have created a new thread here to discuss the wider issues that have been presented in this thread.

campermon
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs