South Africa's disgraceful lion-breeding industry.

Bred in captivity... for sport.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: South Africa's disgraceful lion-breeding industry.

#121  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 01, 2015 3:00 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:I'm not here to indulge your, and society's, irrational double standards.

No, you're here to foist off your own irrational double standards as if they had merit.

Strontium Dog wrote:Either killing non-endangered animals is okay, or it isn't. No middle ground.

Utterly juvenile dichotomy.

Wandering round blasting non-endangered animals is not okay - random, wanton killing is not ok.

Killing an animal for its meat is perfectly fine - it's a necessity if you intend to eat it, and eating other organisms is what all heterotrophic life does - you included.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#122  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 01, 2015 3:02 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:There is no middle round between guilty and innocent. There is no middle ground between true or false. There is no middle ground between rape and consensual sex. This is binary. It's okay, or it isn't. There are no rational grounds for the argument "it's okay to kill pigs, cows and chickens, but it's not okay to kill cats, dogs and foxes". Not even if you give the cat a name.

If you're killing the cats, dogs, and foxes for eating, then it's ok. It may not coincide with Western taboos and practices, but killing for food is clearly distinct from killing for pleasure. The sooner you learn this, the sooner you stop polluting unrelated threads with your evangelizing.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#123  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 01, 2015 3:06 pm

Nicko wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:If farming pigs is okay, then farming lions is okay.

I agree.

But pig farms aren't giving people who want a plate of spare ribs the opportunity to incompetently shoot a pig multiple times before the pig farmer finally has to put the poor thing out of it's misery.

The main difference is that farming lions is not for nutrition or any specific material need, but for the pleasure of the act of killing. A more accurate analogy than farming of domesticated animals for consumption would be farming bears for bear-baiting.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#124  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Aug 01, 2015 3:28 pm

May we have a thread split, plz?
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#125  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 01, 2015 3:32 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:There is no middle round between guilty and innocent.

In Scottish Law there is: Not Proven.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#126  Postby Nicko » Aug 01, 2015 3:45 pm

Spearthrower wrote:A more accurate analogy than farming of domesticated animals for consumption would be farming bears for bear-baiting.

Well yes, but I was ectending SD's false equvalence between pig farms and canned lion hunts to make the point.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#127  Postby I'm With Stupid » Aug 02, 2015 2:42 am

Strontium Dog wrote:If hunting wild deer is okay, then hunting wild lions is okay. If farming pigs is okay, then farming lions is okay. Arguments otherwise are thoroughly specious and typically necessitate the insertion of irrationalities like emotion.

If they were equivalent, then yes, I'd agree with you. If you were farming lions for meat, with strict regulations about how they must be killed in as pain free a way as possible, then that would be the same. Farms in the UK don't allow anyone with any or no experience to turn up with a gun (or crossbow) and have a go at killing them, and then go "Oh well, you didn't quite kill it, never mind, it'll bleed to death in 40 hours anyway."
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#128  Postby I'm With Stupid » Aug 02, 2015 2:45 am

Anyway, lions are one thing, but don't fuck with armadillos.

Bullet bounces off armadillo and puts triggerhappy Texan in hospital
Man fires three rounds at armoured mammal - and has to be airlifted to hospital after ricochet hits him in face
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#129  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 02, 2015 9:39 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:Anyway, lions are one thing, but don't fuck with armadillos.

Bullet bounces off armadillo and puts triggerhappy Texan in hospital
Man fires three rounds at armoured mammal - and has to be airlifted to hospital after ricochet hits him in face

Well he will think twice the next time (mind being of such mentality I doubt it)
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#130  Postby Agrippina » Aug 02, 2015 9:41 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:If it makes you feel better, the lions people shoot in SA are captive-bred for the bullet. Your wild populations are safe from Minnesotan dentists!

Yeah the lions are but the rest of the wildlife in the reserves aren't. We're now deploying the army into the Kruger Park and they're told to shoot poachers on sight.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#131  Postby Agrippina » Aug 02, 2015 9:44 am

Spearthrower wrote:
Nicko wrote:

I agree.

But pig farms aren't giving people who want a plate of spare ribs the opportunity to incompetently shoot a pig multiple times before the pig farmer finally has to put the poor thing out of it's misery.

The main difference is that farming lions is not for nutrition or any specific material need, but for the pleasure of the act of killing. A more accurate analogy than farming of domesticated animals for consumption would be farming bears for bear-baiting.

Indeed.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#132  Postby ED209 » Aug 02, 2015 10:02 am

Agrippina wrote:
Rachel Bronwyn wrote:If it makes you feel better, the lions people shoot in SA are captive-bred for the bullet. Your wild populations are safe from Minnesotan dentists!

Yeah the lions are but the rest of the wildlife in the reserves aren't. We're now deploying the army into the Kruger Park and they're told to shoot poachers on sight.

Hmmm, tourist revenue could be boosted by selling places on poacher hunts...and then on poacher hunter hunts... :think:
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#133  Postby ixolite » Aug 02, 2015 11:56 am

"Hunting of lions, leopards and elephant in areas outside of Hwange National Park has been suspended with immediate effect," Edson Chidziya, head of Zimbabwe's parks and wildlife authority said in a statement.

International outrage was unleashed when Cecil, the star of the Hwange National Park, was lured out of the parks boundaries and shot by American dentist Walter Palmer. The wealthy tourist allegedly used a bow and arrow to wound the animal, then tracked it down and killed it, accompanied by local guide Theo Bronkhorst.

Wildlife officials also suspended bow and arrow hunting, except with a permission from the top tier of the organization.

"All such hunts will only be conducted if confirmed and authorized in writing by the Director-General of the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority, and only if accompanied by parks staff," Chidziya said.

http://www.dw.com/en/zimbabwe-restricts ... a-18622251
ixolite

Female

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#134  Postby Nicko » Aug 02, 2015 12:11 pm

Agrippina wrote:

Hmmm.

:think:
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#135  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Aug 02, 2015 12:43 pm

Some of the animals other than lions are definitely bred for canned hunts. Lion breeders often breed a few other species. The "hunts" for these animals take place on privately owned acreage, not park land. Just for a lazy reference, Louis Theroux's piece on canned hunting in South Africa outlines the practices of these businesses pretty well.

Poaching is a huge issue though and I'm sure lots of hunting expeditions tourists pay to go on target animals belonging to wild populations.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#136  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 02, 2015 6:34 pm

Spearthrower wrote:killing for food is clearly distinct from killing for pleasure

Because you say it is?

lmao

Come back to me when you have something more than a bare assertion fallacy.

Meanwhile, I will be killing and dismembering my next door neighbour. Because it's okay if I eat him afterwards.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#137  Postby Mike_L » Aug 02, 2015 6:51 pm

Cecil king of the news
2015-08-02 16:26

Thomas Hartleb, News24

Cecil the lion was king of the news both locally, internationally and on social networks in the past week, media monitoring company ROi Africa said on Sunday.

Internationally, Cecil was mentioned in 34% of news media surveyed, followed by US presidential hopeful Donald Trump at 16% and the death and funeral of Bobbi Kristina Brown at 9%.

Full article at:
http://www.news24.com/Green/News/Cecil-king-of-the-news-20150802

...and...

Cecil the lion lights up NY's Empire State building
2015-08-02

A giant picture of the beloved Zimbabwean lion killed by an American trophy hunter was among images projected on Saturday onto the Empire State Building in New York in a dazzling display.

The "Projecting Change on the Empire State Building" initiative was designed to raise awareness about the plight of endangered animals and was billed as a first of its kind.

An image of the lion Cecil, whose killing has sparked international outrage, was prime among animals whose pictures covered 33 floors of the southern face of one of the world's most famous landmarks in an eight-minute video loop.

Full article at:
http://www.news24.com/World/News/Cecil-the-lion-lights-up-NYs-Empire-State-building-20150802

Meanwhile in Zimbabwe...

'What lion?' Zimbabweans ask, amid global Cecil outrage
2015-07-30

As social media exploded with outrage this week at the killing of Cecil the lion, the shooting of the celebrated cat by an American dentist has gone largely unnoticed in the animal's native Zimbabwe.

"What lion?" acting information minister Prisca Mupfumira asked in response to a request for comment about Cecil, who was at that moment topping global news bulletins and generating reams of abuse for his killer on websites in the United States and Europe.

For most people in the southern African nation, where unemployment tops 80% and the economy continues to feel the after-effects of billion percent hyperinflation a decade ago, the uproar had all the hallmarks of a ''First World Problem''.

"Are you saying that all this noise is about a dead lion? Lions are killed all the time in this country," said Tryphina Kaseke, a used-clothes hawker on the streets of Harare. "What is so special about this one?"

As with many countries in Africa, in Zimbabwe big wild animals such as lions, elephants or hippos are seen either as a potential meal, or a threat to people and property that need to be controlled or killed.

The world of Palmer, who paid $50 000 to kill 13-year-old Cecil, is a very different one from that inhabited by millions of rural Africans who are more than occasionally victims of wild animal attacks.

Full article at:
http://www.news24.com/Green/News/What-lion-Zimbabweans-ask-amid-global-Cecil-outrage-20150730
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#138  Postby Sadegh » Aug 02, 2015 7:01 pm

noncredo wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:There is no middle round between guilty and innocent. There is no middle ground between true or false. There is no middle ground between rape and consensual sex. This is binary. It's okay, or it isn't. There are no rational grounds for the argument "it's okay to kill pigs, cows and chickens, but it's not okay to kill cats, dogs and foxes". Not even if you give the cat a name.

There is a pretty obvious rational argument for killing pigs, cows and chickens, and not killing cats and dogs. Not sure how fox ended up in the no kill list. Cats and dogs are considered pets in most western countries and pigs, cows and chickens are considered food. We, as a society, have developed a special bond with cats and dogs that we have not developed with cows, pigs and chickens. Although if someone does develop a bond with a pig, as does happen, most would frown on killing that pig.

I don't think whatever mortal terror that animal experienced in its dying moments was made any less by the fact that you designated it for food and later did eat the remains, or at least some of them.

On the other hand, it might be made more if they have any sense of betrayal from having been a pet, but I don't know whether that happens offhand.

If it's on the table for e.g. Western folks to raise cows for slaughter then it's on the table for Chinese folks to raise dogs for slaughter and vice versa. It's either all OK to slaughter animals of comparable intellect, at least for eating, or it isn't.
La guerra è bella perché inaugura la sognata metallizzazione del corpo umano.
(War is beautiful because it initiates the dreamed-of metalization of the human body.)

— F.T. Marinetti
Sadegh
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#139  Postby tuco » Aug 02, 2015 7:07 pm

Nicko wrote:

I agree.

So if hunter could come to lion farm and press a button to kill the lion in how to say it controlled fashion it would be ok?

but indeed what lion? lol
tuco

Print view this post

#140  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 02, 2015 8:13 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:killing for food is clearly distinct from killing for pleasure

Because you say it is?

No, because sense and rationality shows it is.

Only emotional evangelizing runs contrary to this.

Strontium Dog wrote:lmao

Come back to me when you have something more than a bare assertion fallacy.

Don't bother coming back - all you're doing is evangelizing your emotional guff at people yet again, and this thread isn't about being an evangelical, holier-than-thou vegetarian. Go get your own thread.

Strontium Dog wrote:Meanwhile, I will be killing and dismembering my next door neighbour. Because it's okay if I eat him afterwards.

As I already dealt with this one before, it shows how limited you are in addressing arguments that destroy the flatulent guff you espouse.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs