South Africa's disgraceful lion-breeding industry.

Bred in captivity... for sport.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: South Africa's disgraceful lion-breeding industry.

#81  Postby Mike_L » Jul 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Quite so! I'm not suggesting that one should ignore Palmer's misdeed. He should be prosecuted... within the ambit of the law. (His fellow miscreants have already appeared in court.) It's just the death threats that are a bit over-the-top, IMO.
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#82  Postby Briton » Jul 30, 2015 12:11 pm

Mike_L wrote:Quite so! I'm not suggesting that one should ignore Palmer's misdeed. He should be prosecuted... within the ambit of the law. (His fellow miscreants have already appeared in court.) It's just the death threats that are a bit over-the-top, IMO.

Agreed but I suspect the claims of death threats are also a bit OTT.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#83  Postby Strontium Dog » Jul 30, 2015 12:16 pm

Some of us take a stand against a moth-eaten lion shot in Zimbabwe.
Some of us take a stand against the 8 billion animals killed in the UK for food every year.

Horses for courses, like.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#84  Postby Tenacious Tubbs » Jul 30, 2015 12:34 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:Some of us take a stand against a moth-eaten lion shot in Zimbabwe.
Some of us take a stand against the 8 billion animals killed in the UK for food every year.

Whilst arguments can (and are) made against faming animals for food, I think comparing that to the illegal poaching of a protected animal, part of a comparatively much rarer (borderline endangered) species, and merely for the enjoyment of the act of killing, is more than a bit facile.
Tenacious Tubbs

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#85  Postby CarlPierce » Jul 30, 2015 12:49 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
CarlPierce wrote:
Mike_L wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

:doh:

What he did was pretty shit, but he's not a murderer or a terrorist, and even were Hell anything other than a delusional fantasy, the source from which it may be gleaned has no problem whatsoever with killing other animals.

We're a seriously fucked up species! :smoke:

Yep. Palmer's deed was altogether vile and selfish, but the over-the-top response of some of his detractors is in the realms of comedy farce.

Your wrong Mike it is time we took a stand over the destruction of the planets wildlife - this scum is just an example. The publicity will prevent other sadist hunters.

Unless taking a stand consists of making absurd and inaccurate accusations, and terrorizing people with death threats... I don't really understand how this represents 'taking a stand'.

This publicity is making hunters as popular as a pedophile who posts pictures of the little girls he has raped . Driving public opinion is the way to demonstrate to policy makers that it is time to stop sadistic scum murdering their way across the planet. Banning 'trophy' import would be a nice start. I don't see fox hunting legalisation after this wave of public power. Well done anyone who wants it to stop and shame on apologists for needless wanton cruelty (see above).
Last edited by CarlPierce on Jul 30, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#86  Postby CarlPierce » Jul 30, 2015 12:55 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:Some of us take a stand against a moth-eaten lion shot in Zimbabwe.

Two completely separate issues if you want to discuss factory farming start a new thread.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#87  Postby Strontium Dog » Jul 30, 2015 1:42 pm

Tenacious Tubbs wrote:Whilst arguments can (and are) made against faming animals for food, I think comparing that to the illegal poaching of a protected animal, part of a comparatively much rarer (borderline endangered) species, and merely for the enjoyment of the act of killing, is more than a bit facile.

Oh, I wasn't making any comparison. 8 billion deaths versus 1 death is simply incomparable. Suffice it to say that one dead cat barely registers on my give-a-fuck-ometer. What can I say, I'm a rationalist.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#88  Postby Tenacious Tubbs » Jul 30, 2015 1:59 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
Tenacious Tubbs wrote:Whilst arguments can (and are) made against faming animals for food, I think comparing that to the illegal poaching of a protected animal, part of a comparatively much rarer (borderline endangered) species, and merely for the enjoyment of the act of killing, is more than a bit facile.

Oh, I wasn't making any comparison. 8 billion deaths versus 1 death is simply incomparable. Suffice it to say that one dead cat barely registers on my give-a-fuck-ometer. What can I say, I'm a rationalist.

Why do people get upset about child murderers when disease kills millions of children every year? I'm just being "rational".
Tenacious Tubbs

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#89  Postby Strontium Dog » Jul 30, 2015 2:07 pm

If you want to compare children with animals while erecting a feeble straw man and pretend you're being rational, don't let me stop you.
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#90  Postby Tenacious Tubbs » Jul 30, 2015 2:09 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:If you want to compare children with animals while erecting a feeble straw man and pretend you're being rational, don't let me stop you.

I'm not comparing children with animals. I'm comparing children with children. Just like you were comparing animals with animals in your post.
Tenacious Tubbs

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#91  Postby Strontium Dog » Jul 30, 2015 4:16 pm

Like I said, a feeble straw man. Nevertheless I'm sure it will play well with those who support and defend animal murder, hence the thumbs up for your posts.
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#92  Postby CarlPierce » Jul 30, 2015 4:26 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:

Actually your not being rational.
Murder is usually worse than stealing but it doesn't make stealing right. Start a separate thread about the other issue.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#93  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Jul 30, 2015 4:38 pm

do you wear a surgon's mask at night?
To avoid accidentially swollowing of flies and spiders?
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#94  Postby Mike_L » Jul 30, 2015 5:21 pm

Cecil the Lion's death has probably already resulted in all of his cubs being killed by rivals

As if the death of Cecil the Lion wasn't bad enough, at least 12 of his cubs are now in danger of being killed by his rivals. NBC News reports that conservation experts who had been tracking Cecil for seven years said that the patriarch's death would no doubt result in a catastrophic cascade of effects, as a new leader will move in to take over his pride.

Johnny Rodrigues from the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force told The Guardian that Jericho, the next lion in the hierarchy, will most likely kill all of Cecil's cubs in an effort to assert his bloodline.

Full text at:
http://traveller24.news24.com/Explore/Bush/Cecil-the-Lions-death-has-probably-already-resulted-in-all-of-his-cubs-being-killed-by-rivals-20150730
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#95  Postby Strontium Dog » Jul 30, 2015 5:25 pm

So Jericho is the real villain of the piece, as he's killed 12 times as many lions as this poor dentist fellow.
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#96  Postby campermon » Jul 30, 2015 6:14 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:So Jericho is the real villain of the piece, as he's killed 12 times as many lions as this poor dentist fellow.

'Jericho' is a lion.

HTHs

:thumbup:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#97  Postby Strontium Dog » Jul 30, 2015 7:17 pm

campermon wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:So Jericho is the real villain of the piece, as he's killed 12 times as many lions as this poor dentist fellow.

'Jericho' is a lion.

Relevance?

Has he killed a dozen times as many lions as the dentist or hasn't he?
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#98  Postby campermon » Jul 30, 2015 7:31 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
campermon wrote:

'Jericho' is a lion.

Relevance?

Has he killed a dozen times as many lions as the dentist or hasn't he?

'Jericho' is not a moral agent.

The dentist is.

HTHs

:thumbup:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#99  Postby Mike_L » Jul 30, 2015 7:58 pm

It's like a feline version of Israel...

A Zionist lion ('Jericho', FFS!) does a land grab along with a criminal American enabler.

:shifty: (Kidding).
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#100  Postby campermon » Jul 30, 2015 8:03 pm

:rofl:
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs