The New And Coming Plague

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The New And Coming Plague

#1421  Postby Alan C » Mar 24, 2020 9:54 pm

Anyone else having a hard time sourcing non-contact thermometers? We could use a few for our workplace as it's still operating. So far all out of stock here, there might be trade ones available but they might be a bit OTT to measure forehead temps?

:think:
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#1422  Postby Macdoc » Mar 24, 2020 10:16 pm

he disease is surging in Ontario and Quebec though.

Bit of an overstatement.
Testing is going up fast and 1 million people returned from over seas. we have 8 deaths in Ontario. I'd hardly call it surging.
Seeing more cases due to more testing is not indicative of surge in infections.

Public health officials in Ontario confirmed 85 new cases of COVID-19 in the province on Tuesday, bringing the provincial tally to 588.

There are now eight deaths linked to the illness, the most recent a woman in her 90s in Durham Region and an 80-year-old woman in Hamilton. Durham Region's health department originally reported the victim was a man.

Another eight cases are considered resolved. It is the biggest single-day increase in new cases in Ontario so far.

There are 10,074 cases under investigation. As of Tuesday at 5:30 p.m., 21,795 people have tested negative for the virus. No new confirmed cases were reported by the ministry Tuesday evening.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5507767
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#1423  Postby Alan C » Mar 25, 2020 12:02 am

Meanwhile Liberty University is staying open, even keeping the library and gym running, gawd will protect?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#1424  Postby aliihsanasl » Mar 25, 2020 1:24 am

Turks fight coronavirus with secret weapon: eau de cologne

In Turkey, sprinkling hands with cologne has long been a ritual for a visit to the barber, a meal at a restaurant or even a trip on the bus.

It is seen as a symbol of hospitality, as well as an aid to hygiene, in a country that sets great store by both.

Now Turkish cologne -- found in almost every household, either in the fridge or a closet -- is seeing unprecedented demand as a weapon in the fight against the novel coronavirus.

Many Turks believe cologne, which has a high alcohol content, is effective in keeping hands and faces clean and thus warding off the risk of COVID-19.

Long queues could be seen outside cologne shops in Istanbul's busy spice market, in the historic Eminonu district, in early March before Turkey announced its first confirmed case.

Now shops and pharmacies have put up signs reading "cologne sold out".

People are commonly seen sprinkling cologne into their hands in the middle of the street, while taxi drivers offer doses to their clients.

An association in the northwestern city of Izmit is delivering free cologne as well as bread to the elderly, local media reported.

- Selling out -

Eyup Sabri Tuncer, a leading traditional cologne maker, said it has received tens of thousands of orders in recent weeks.

"In order for a healthy delivery to the customers... we have temporarily suspended further online orders," company official Atilla Ariman told AFP.

Bottles of cologne have flown off the shelves since Health Minister Fahrettin Koca urged Turks to use the liquid as an alternative hand sanitiser against the virus.

One user, Ilyas Gocdu, said he is using cologne three times more than before. "I believe it is more effective against germs as it contains alcohol," he said.

Demand is so great that a black market has developed for both cologne and other hand sanitisers, with Istanbul police raiding a manufacturing plant last week to confiscate products made "unhealthily".

Announcing his government's economic stimulus package last week, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said face masks as well as cologne would be handed out free to people aged 65 and over.

Turkey has so far recorded 37 coronavirus-related deaths and 1,529 cases.

- 'A good hand sanitiser' -

Is the belief that cologne is effective against coronavirus grounded in science?

Professor Bulent Ertugrul, board member of the Turkish Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, said alcohol can destroy the outer membrane of the coronavirus.

"As alcohol is a good solvent, it destroys this lipid envelope," he told AFP.

Ertugrul said the best protection against the new coronavirus is washing one's hands after contact with the environment.

But he added: "If soap and water are not available, using a hand sanitiser that is at least 60 percent alcohol can help."

Cologne fits the bill, he said.

"As we know, cologne contains at least 70 percent alcohol," he said.

"That's why it is a good hand sanitiser against COVID-19."

I dont connect lesser cases and death number to that because so far we did less tests but this may really help.
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#1425  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Mar 25, 2020 2:00 am

It will help, but not going out to the shops in herds will help more.

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1426  Postby Seabass » Mar 25, 2020 2:19 am

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#1427  Postby Seabass » Mar 25, 2020 2:34 am

Two similar red states. One recently removed their Republican governor and replaced him with a Democrat.

https://twitter.com/StephanieJolly/status/1241539290938646532
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Print view this post

#1428  Postby Seabass » Mar 25, 2020 2:47 am

Seabass

Print view this post

#1429  Postby zulumoose » Mar 25, 2020 7:46 am

I'm keeping an eye on https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html which is quite an eye-opener.

If current trends continue, it looks like the U.S. will overtake Italy in 2 days and China (as reported) in 3, in terms of cases. It will take a while for the fatalities to follow that trend, but it seems inevitable unless the curve can be flattened before the healthcare capacity is overwhelmed, which is probably unlikely given that the response has not been proactive, and testing is way behind.

Particularly disgusting on the political front, is that Trump's bungling and denial of the issue, which continues to this day, is likely to be selectively remembered by republican voters as leadership.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#1430  Postby Ironclad » Mar 25, 2020 12:55 pm

That's a depressing link. Someone died just as I got to the website
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#1431  Postby newolder » Mar 25, 2020 1:32 pm

How did it circumnavigate the globe so fast? :think:

Virus

Air traffic
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#1432  Postby DougC » Mar 25, 2020 1:48 pm

With the modern transport network this is inevitable. Someone can catch the bug, travel ½ the globe, pass on the infection and not even feel sick.
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1433  Postby felltoearth » Mar 25, 2020 2:25 pm

We've been so focused on stopping the terrorists we forgot about the the real danger.

This will have to be dealt with in the future with protocols an agreements put into place. the US is spending $2T alone. Putin is laughing his ass off.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1434  Postby Mike_L » Mar 25, 2020 2:49 pm

felltoearth wrote:We've been so focused on stopping the terrorists we forgot about the the real danger.

This will have to be dealt with in the future with protocols an agreements put into place. the US is spending $2T alone. Putin is laughing his ass off.

...and demonstrating some canny statesmanship.

Russia flies medical supplies (complete with decals reading "From Russia With Love") to Italy...

Complete RT.com article here:
https://www.rt.com/op-ed/483865-europe-coronavirus-russia-china/
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#1435  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 25, 2020 3:25 pm

Ironclad wrote:That's a depressing link. Someone died just as I got to the website

Voyeur.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1436  Postby felltoearth » Mar 25, 2020 3:31 pm

Mike_L wrote:
felltoearth wrote:We've been so focused on stopping the terrorists we forgot about the the real danger.

Russia flies medical supplies (complete with decals reading "From Russia With Love") to Italy...

Complete RT.com article here:
https://www.rt.com/op-ed/483865-europe-coronavirus-russia-china/

Sure OK
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1437  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 25, 2020 3:36 pm

Mike_L wrote:

Not canny, just standard aid - China just delivered huge quantities of masks and medical equipment to Thailand. Two months back, Thailand sent them 22 tonnes of masks. I've not exactly been keeping track, but I've seen dozens of such instances over the last couple of months. Jack Ma, for example, has been delivering hundreds of tonnes of masks, medical supplies, and testing kits all round the world - 54 African countries, the USA, Pakistan etc. This is what people do when faced with a global epidemic.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1438  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 25, 2020 3:39 pm

newolder wrote:How did it circumnavigate the globe so fast? :think:

Virus

Air traffic

Those suffering people living underwater 200 miles south of the coast in the Gulf of Guinea really want to know what you're talking about.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1439  Postby newolder » Mar 25, 2020 3:56 pm

^Yes. That reminds me of a Mary Beard quote about "The 7 hills of Rome" (the list includes 8 named hills) - "Something has got confused there, somewhere along the line."

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#1440  Postby tuco » Mar 25, 2020 4:01 pm

It would probably be best to keep politics out for the time being but I guess that is too much to ask. The economy is global, travel is global, the virus is global but let's not get it yet and let's keep building walls.
tuco

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs