The New And Coming Plague

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The New And Coming Plague

#2141  Postby Ironclad » Jun 23, 2020 6:32 am

What is going on over there? Aren’t you guys in full lockdown? Were you ever?
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#2142  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jun 23, 2020 7:02 am

No and all states are proceeding with reopening businesses that did close.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: 2019-nCoV or COVID-19

#2143  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 23, 2020 6:22 pm

Today, for the second time, our House of Commons equivalent voted against structural wage increase for healthcare workers. FFs.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#2144  Postby Fallible » Jun 23, 2020 10:15 pm

Here, a Tory minister has been saying that the thousands of student nurses who were called on to help during the crisis are ‘not deemed to be providing a service’ and are ‘supernumerary’ after one of them said she’d be leaving uni with £60,000 in debt despite risking her life to work for the NHS, and asked for her debt to be wiped.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2145  Postby Svartalf » Jun 24, 2020 8:52 am

bad faith and ingratitude, from a politician? Pray, tell me it's not true.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#2146  Postby laklak » Jun 24, 2020 6:46 pm

Lockdown? We don't need no stinking lockdown.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#2147  Postby Svartalf » Jun 24, 2020 6:55 pm

Indeed and we don't, there are better way to avoid the contagion without putting the country's economy on its ear.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#2148  Postby The_Piper » Jun 24, 2020 7:50 pm

It's being done on a state to state basis, with almost no guidance from the federal gov't. The only thing they did was give a fortune to big businesses and crumbs to everyone else. I'm not sure what lockdown means, but we were down to essential travel only, and anyone coming in from out of state had to quarantine for 2 weeks. I think we're on phase 2 now. Proof of a negative coronavirus test can be given in lieu of quarantining for out-of-staters. I see someone I know from NH posted pics of Old Orchard Beach in Maine yesterday, so clearly not everyone is following that. Maybe they didn't even know about it. There was a requirement for wearing masks when indoors at stores, Dr offices, etc. Less than a quarter of people honored it, and now not even grocery store employees are wearing them anymore. As soon as we get a few cases in my area, it's going to balloon quickly because people are acting like it's over. We're benefiting from the closed US/Canada border I'd bet. The only US state we border is NH, so there's not a lot of out of state visiting so far and we haven't had a huge amount of community transmission outside of the Portland region, which is over 200 miles from here. There are 454 active cases in the state currently, over a population of 1.3 million.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2149  Postby NineBerry » Jun 24, 2020 8:41 pm

"known" is missing there before "active cases" :-)
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#2150  Postby The_Piper » Jun 24, 2020 8:44 pm

NineBerry wrote:"known" is missing there before "active cases" :-)

Yep, thanks for the correction. Testing capacity has increased as everywhere else, but they're still not testing huge quantities of people here. Anyone can get one now, so they say, so hopefully they're testing the ones who's infection status matter most.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2151  Postby OlivierK » Jun 24, 2020 11:10 pm

The_Piper wrote:The only US state we border is NH, so there's not a lot of out of state visiting so far and we haven't had a huge amount of community transmission outside of the Portland region, which is over 200 miles from here. There are 454 active cases in the state currently, over a population of 1.3 million.

That's still more active cases than Australia, population 25.8m, and twice as many active cases as we had per million at peak. I suspect that without a full lockdown, it's just going to bubble along in Maine at about its current levels over summer.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#2152  Postby The_Piper » Jun 24, 2020 11:15 pm

I'm not expecting it to get better if/until there's a vaccine. Relative to most other states, we're at least not completely out of control. Not today. Maybe if Maine was part of Australia it would be doing better than the rest of Australia. What part of my post sounded like I was trying to be positive?
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2153  Postby OlivierK » Jun 25, 2020 12:04 am

No, I know you get it.

And yeah, Maine would probably be doing well here. My own region, away from the major cities, is doing much better than Sydney or Melbourne. In my home shire (county), population ~15000, people were pretty freaked out when we had a case listed, but calmed down when they found it it was someone whose principal residential address was in our shire, but who was currently staying hundreds of kilometres away. In our closest city (pop ~80,000) I think we had 11 cases, the last of which was in April.

But we're still not fully out of lockdown - we're still a week away from reopening outdoor sports facilities, although schools are back, and pretty much all businesses open, subject to customer number limits.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#2154  Postby Animavore » Jun 25, 2020 12:08 am

Bird of Prey attack on jogger could be linked to Covid-19

The attack could be linked to Covid-19, according to Niall Hatch of Birdwatch who has heard of another similar incident in the last few weeks in Co. Dublin.

"These kind of attacks are extremely rare and what we are thinking is that Buzzards have nested this year closer to main roads and footpaths because of the lack of human activity during Covid-19 lockdown.

"They are extremely territorial so when people are out and about again, they are trying to fend off would-be attackers from the nest. It's terrible for those who have been attacked but the good news is that the nesting season is about to end so any attacks, however rare, should also finish.

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/2020/06/2 ... 8TY33m6510
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#2155  Postby Alan C » Jun 25, 2020 2:37 am

Svartalf wrote:Indeed and we don't, there are better way to avoid the contagion without putting the country's economy on its ear.

What ways would that be?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#2156  Postby The_Piper » Jun 25, 2020 2:49 am

OlivierK wrote:No, I know you get it.

And yeah, Maine would probably be doing well here. My own region, away from the major cities, is doing much better than Sydney or Melbourne. In my home shire (county), population ~15000, people were pretty freaked out when we had a case listed, but calmed down when they found it it was someone whose principal residential address was in our shire, but who was currently staying hundreds of kilometres away. In our closest city (pop ~80,000) I think we had 11 cases, the last of which was in April.

But we're still not fully out of lockdown - we're still a week away from reopening outdoor sports facilities, although schools are back, and pretty much all businesses open, subject to customer number limits.

:thumbup: No doubt Oz did better than most other countries. We still have restrictions like that too in Maine, though compliance is woeful, which is why I expect it to get worse here.
I can paint a rosier picture of the situation where I live, and maybe I should. My county has 4 or 5 known active cases. The county includes here, all 90 miles south to Bangor, the third “largest city” in Maine. There’s the University of Maine in Orono. Maine borders New Hampshire, who’ve had more than three times the death rate as Maine. That’s more to do with proximity to, and ties to Boston I'm thinking. Maine also borders Quebec, who's death rate is several times higher than ours due to their large cities presumably. New Brunswick has made out better than us, and they have an even lower population density than Maine as a whole. I’d argue they’re a touch more geographically isolated as well. I’d like to feel ok about all this, but I’d be misguided if I did, because we unfortunately happen to be connected to the United States. My zip code has had only 1 case that I know of, and definitely 5 orless. This isn't all thanks to politicians, but if the election was held today, I’d enthusiastically vote for our governor’s re-election. She’s doing a hell of a job with what she has to work with. Thankfully she’s with us until 2022, bar impeachment, which some misguided people are calling for. Cause she had overestimated the danger, they think. I’m starting to wonder if those people could add 2+2.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2157  Postby Hermit » Jun 25, 2020 5:53 am

laklak wrote:Lockdown? We don't need no stinking lockdown.

Of course not. The pandemic is under control now.

Especially in Florida.

You can't imagine how pissed off I feel to be stuck in that shithole known as Australia.

There's been an uptick of new cases in the state of Victoria in recent days. The state's Premier has re-imposed strict COVID-19 measures that had been loosened earlier.

(Sreenshots from Worldometers)
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#2158  Postby OlivierK » Jun 25, 2020 7:52 am

Yep. Sobering to note that Florida, with 80% of Australia's population, needs an extra zero on the y-axis of those graphs.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#2159  Postby Fenrir » Jun 25, 2020 8:53 am

That's not the one that bothers me. It's the daily new cases worldwide that scares me.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#2160  Postby Animavore » Jun 25, 2020 7:38 pm

This headline, I can't read the article because I'm geoblocked, is about 18 members of a Texan family testing positive for covid after a surprise party.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A ... =%2CmH-R&c[0]=AT3SuuJ-zh_CjmbP6M7_jKSYuMHnd-cB6TXMLvw_3GypHj6RMU6bPomjIMxLzFrcAYh3viPjUGzJOvCgfA1jHSiTARnyDdFS3WU6BobZzyPWzspl9X8t7kSCt6uhlEEvPpDObfi5GT_124UIQD8OPd9URFPtTckWrSzjUE-uPHssYRfzmXI
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs