The New And Coming Plague

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The New And Coming Plague

#2161  Postby Macdoc » Jun 25, 2020 7:45 pm

It was only a couple of hours’: 18 members of Texas family get COVID-19 after surprise party
U.S. & WORLD
by: Nexstar Media Wire
Posted: Jun 25, 2020 / 01:45 PM EDT / Updated: Jun 25, 2020 / 01:45 PM EDT

CARROLLTON, Texas (WJW) – A family in Texas says 18 relatives were diagnosed with COVID-19 after some of them attended a surprise birthday party.

WFAA reports the infection began May 30 with one family member who unknowingly had the virus. He had a slight cough but thought it was due to his job in construction.

He interacted at the party with seven others, who contracted the virus and spread it to another 10 relatives.

Relative Ron Barbosa, a volunteer EMT who is married to a doctor, said he and his wife didn’t go to the party due to safety issues. He said the party lasted “only a couple of hours” and everyone tried to social distance.

“When people started getting sick, we really let everyone have it,” he told WFAA. “We knew this was going to happen. I mean this whole time this has been going on we’ve been terrified.”

Among those who contracted COVID-19 were two children, two grandparents, a cancer patient and Barbosa’s parents, who are in their 80s. His parents and sister, Kathy, who has breast cancer, are in the hospital.

Barbosa said his sister socially distanced outside on a porch but was still infected. She is doing better despite also simultaneously undergoing chemotherapy treatments.

His father is in ICU on life support.

“My dad’s hanging on by a thread,” he said. “They’re saying this is one of the last straws.”

https://www.wric.com/news/u-s-world/it- ... ise-party/

and some were compromised ffs ....the grow turnips for brains in Texas :nono:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#2162  Postby Animavore » Jun 25, 2020 8:32 pm

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#2163  Postby Svartalf » Jun 25, 2020 8:44 pm

Freedom to breathe agency... you have to be a trumpanzee to even believe there's such a thing.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#2164  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jun 25, 2020 10:50 pm

Daily test-positive cases are back up to 20 here. Uhg. We were down to, like, three and no one died for a week. Now we've got a public school teacher with the virus so potentially many others.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2165  Postby Alan C » Jun 25, 2020 11:06 pm

Our idiot Tories here previously championed imbecilic notions like allowing international students back in, my electorate's grease-stain of an MP among them despite the significant numbers of seniors here. The majority of students we see here are from India and China. Now, after harping on about a blown-out-of-proportion border issue and people finishing their quarantine they crow about a full standing room only meeting up north for their new party leader [an evangelical christian]. I hope they stew in opposition for some time, at least until they can learn not to be hypocritical fuckwits that only care about the rich.
WTF is it about conservatives in or that can trace their ancestry from Britain?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#2166  Postby OlivierK » Jun 26, 2020 1:18 am

Animavore wrote:This headline, I can't read the article because I'm geoblocked, is about 18 members of a Texan family testing positive for covid after a surprise party.

Too soon for the "What do you get the guy who has everything?" joke? :shifty:
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#2167  Postby newolder » Jun 26, 2020 12:38 pm

Via, Have I Got News For You
BREAKING: Dominic Raab orders closure of all beaches in Bournemouth, Swindon, Derby and Leeds.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#2168  Postby felltoearth » Jun 26, 2020 1:16 pm

So the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada is giving up its office in Ottawa and decentralizing its staff for an indeterminate period. It’s starting folks. Expect self storage facilities to become really popular over the coming months.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2169  Postby Seabass » Jun 26, 2020 8:10 pm

Holy shit.

Florida: New COVID Cases Shatter Record at Nearly 9,000; Drinking Alcohol at Bars Banned
https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/coronavirus/2020/06/26/daily-coronavirus-reporting
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#2170  Postby Svartalf » Jun 26, 2020 8:29 pm

some governor is impatient to enjoy the freedoms of civilian life again...
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#2171  Postby Alan C » Jun 26, 2020 9:21 pm

This is all adding to the list of reasons I would not travel to US even if I could. The healthcare system is another, I think if that was sorted out to bring it in line with most other developed nations you might start to get a handle on a few other systemic failings.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#2172  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jun 26, 2020 9:41 pm

Seabass wrote:Holy shit.

Florida: New COVID Cases Shatter Record at Nearly 9,000; Drinking Alcohol at Bars Banned
https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/coronavirus/2020/06/26/daily-coronavirus-reporting

Texas is experiencing similar. They've also closed their bars.

This shit is terrifying.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2173  Postby The_Piper » Jun 26, 2020 9:54 pm

I read earlier that Florida's so-called governor DeSantis blamed the 9000 number on a "lab dump" and wasn't rolling back on the opening up nor planning on making mask wearing mandatory. He chalked up the higher numbers to more testing, which of course isn't the whole story. I read that on CNN, but I can't find the reference now unfortunately so take it with a grain of salt.
I saw images of a beach in Britain packed tight as well. I thought they knew better
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2174  Postby Fallible » Jun 26, 2020 10:16 pm

Bournemouth beach. Nearly HALF A MILLION PEOPLE descended on it Thursday. That’s about the population of Liverpool. Or the whole of Cornwall, if you prefer. Absolute fools, the lot of them.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2175  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jun 26, 2020 10:19 pm

The_Piper wrote:
I saw images of a beach in Britain packed tight as well. I thought they knew better

That's because the latest government advice basically comes down to:
boris_covid.jpg
boris_covid.jpg (51.59 KiB) Viewed 569 times
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2176  Postby The_Piper » Jun 26, 2020 10:41 pm

That's depressing.
Fallible wrote:Bournemouth beach. Nearly HALF A MILLION PEOPLE descended on it Thursday. That’s about the population of Liverpool. Or the whole of Cornwall, if you prefer. Absolute fools, the lot of them.
Holy crap that's a big crowd! that's going to leave a mark. :(
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2177  Postby LucidFlight » Jun 26, 2020 11:08 pm

The_Piper wrote:That's depressing.
Fallible wrote:Bournemouth beach. Nearly HALF A MILLION PEOPLE descended on it Thursday. That’s about the population of Liverpool. Or the whole of Cornwall, if you prefer. Absolute fools, the lot of them.
Holy crap that's a big crowd! that's going to leave a mark. :(

Some of the photos were quite stunning.

[Image: Getty Images]
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2178  Postby jamest » Jun 26, 2020 11:22 pm

To be fair to the half a million people who went to Bournemouth beach on Thursday, they didn't know that half a million people were going to be there nor that half a million people were there until they heard it on the news afterwards. I'm sure that many of them wouldn't have bothered with hindsight, so many of them and us have learnt a valuable lesson from the event.

What kind of dickhead government doesn't expect hordes of people to 'legally' go to the beaches in hot sunny weather after being imprisoned in their homes for 3 months? It's fucking ridiculous to blame individuals for this.

We took our chances and went to the zoo last Sunday. That place was busy too but that's not my fault. If the government doesn't want crowds of people going to the zoo, then don't open the fucking zoos.

It's up to the powers-that-be to manage the numbers game, not us. Blame Bournemouth council, anyone, but don't blame individuals and their families for what happened on Thursday.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#2179  Postby felltoearth » Jun 26, 2020 11:28 pm

Did you stay or did you leave when you realized it was too busy?
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2180  Postby The_Piper » Jun 26, 2020 11:40 pm

If a person saw that crowd, instead of parking and joining in, they might consider rolling the windows up and driving away. That's still a legal option I bet.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs