The New And Coming Plague

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The New And Coming Plague

#3101  Postby Hermit » Oct 18, 2020 11:11 am

Mike_L wrote:

"...who are down with the whole right wing thing..."
So they must be closet libertarians conspiring with open right-wingers...

Again, it is you bringing in conspiracy, nobody else. Stop it already.

Feeling merciful, I choose to ignore the rest of your ranty jumble.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#3102  Postby felltoearth » Oct 19, 2020 3:55 am

Seems the Deep State got to Sweden.

Sweden shifts away from no-lockdown strategy amid growing case numbers - Business Insider
Sweden will shift away from its early coronavirus strategy of opting against lockdown measures and instead embrace restrictive measures adopted by most of its neighbors amid growing case numbers in the country.

Anders Tegnell, Sweden's state epidemiologist, is set to meet with local health officials next week to discuss which measures to put into place in response to outbreaks in the capital Stockholm and nearby city Uppsala, The Telegraph newspaper reported.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3103  Postby Mike_L » Oct 19, 2020 5:26 am

felltoearth wrote:Seems the Deep State got to Sweden.

F*ckers have got global reach. :nono:

More sincerely though...

The Business Insider headline is somewhat misleading. It implies that Sweden is now moving toward a lockdown strategy, but the main text says nothing of the sort. There's no mention of confining people to their homes.
However, unlike in other countries, there will be no fines or legal consequences for people who decide not to follow any new advice. Bitte Brastad, the chief legal officer at Sweden's public health agency, said the rules were "something in between regulations and recommendations."

It's rather more like one of the middle-road "better systems" suggested by the WHO's David Nabarro.
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#3104  Postby OlivierK » Oct 20, 2020 1:55 am

Victoria, which didn't go for a "middle-road better system" but police-enforceable lockdowns and curfews, had 1 new COVID case today, down from a peak of 700+, with case numbers falling by more than 50% every fortnight since the level 4 lockdown was imposed 11 weeks ago.

Sweden's case rate per million population is broadly at the same level now that Victoria's was when their hard lockdown was imposed. It will be interesting to see if Sweden manages fortnightly reductions of 50% in cases. With luck, they'll do better than Victoria on deaths, given the aged care fuckups we had here. If not, the "better systems" might not turn out to be "better" after all.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3105  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 20, 2020 5:35 am

Apologies, there doesn't appear to be a version with English subtitles yet.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3106  Postby ronmcd » Oct 20, 2020 9:25 pm

From 17th October:
https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/ ... 4143557632
A month ago, @CMO_England was pilloried for scaremongering when he said there could be 200 deaths a day by mid November if action wasn't taken to control the covid second wave. Today there were 150 deaths. Looks like he underestimated.

Today:
https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/ ... 7657346049
241 deaths today. Confirmed, Chris Whitty was a month shy.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#3107  Postby Thommo » Oct 20, 2020 9:37 pm

Wow, that Twitter thread is depressing.
Thommo

Print view this post

#3109  Postby ronmcd » Oct 20, 2020 9:54 pm

Thommo wrote:Wow, that Twitter thread is depressing.

Quite a few comments suggesting "yeah but it's reported deaths, they didn't all happen yesterday" etc, but as one poster points out "in a few days 500 won't all have died in one day" :?

Exaggeration I'm sure, but a valid point
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#3110  Postby OlivierK » Oct 20, 2020 10:15 pm

During periods of rising deaths per day, reported deaths for any given day are likely to be less than the actual number of deaths on that day, due to fact that reporting takes time, so reported deaths are a lagging measure.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3111  Postby Thommo » Oct 20, 2020 11:28 pm

ronmcd wrote:
Thommo wrote:Wow, that Twitter thread is depressing.

Quite a few comments suggesting "yeah but it's reported deaths, they didn't all happen yesterday" etc, but as one poster points out "in a few days 500 won't all have died in one day" :?

Exaggeration I'm sure, but a valid point

The one that most got me was complaining that it was all overblown because Covid was only the 23rd "greatest" (that's how they punctuated it, IIRC) cause of death. I looked it up, that was true in August after months of lockdown reduced the burden by orders of magnitude. Wasn't quite so true in April, sadly.

There was another that said that if you don't count any covid death where there was no underlying condition then the actual number of covid deaths was zero.

Lockdown is a victim of its own success. People claim we don't need lockdown because there aren't loads of people dying, which is a direct consequence of lockdown. Literally the whole point of disease prevention.

Anyway, I hate Twitter. I wish it would go away.
Thommo

Print view this post

#3112  Postby Alan C » Oct 21, 2020 12:28 am

A cluster has popped up in the South Island here among some international fishing people already in isolation. Comments I've seen is there are so many of these guys because the fishing industry here pays shit wages [among the other issues they have like dodging accountability].
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#3113  Postby Hermit » Oct 21, 2020 3:56 am

Thommo wrote:There was another that said that if you don't count any covid death where there was no underlying condition then the actual number of covid deaths was zero.

That assertion is easily knocked dead, so to speak, by the concept of excess mortality.

In fact, in most countries the number of deaths reported to be due to the novel Covid-19 virus does not even cover the total number of excess deaths. This leads to the conclusion that deaths due to that virus is greater than officially reported numbers.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#3115  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 23, 2020 2:09 pm

We're catching up, from 8800 new cases to 10000+ today. :nono:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3116  Postby NineBerry » Oct 23, 2020 2:34 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:

;)

NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#3117  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 23, 2020 4:47 pm

NineBerry wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

;)

The only show I still watch on TV, even-though it's also available on YT.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3118  Postby Fenrir » Oct 24, 2020 3:29 am

That is almost, almost, our entire recorded infections, in one day.

Won't be long and you'll be back in the top 10 by worldometer ranking. Yay you. Good job.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#3120  Postby Evolving » Oct 24, 2020 10:58 am

We hit 595 new cases on Wednesday. May not seem very many, but it’s a lot for a country with only 600k inhabitants.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs