The New And Coming Plague

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The New And Coming Plague

#3121  Postby Evolving » Oct 24, 2020 4:03 pm

862 yesterday.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#3122  Postby The_Piper » Oct 24, 2020 8:49 pm

Evolving wrote:We hit 595 new cases on Wednesday. May not seem very many, but it’s a lot for a country with only 600k inhabitants.

That's terrible. :shock:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3123  Postby The_Piper » Oct 24, 2020 8:59 pm

We'd been averaging 18-28 a day for a while, now it's 30-50 a day. Most people up here dont wear masks, social distance, or alter their behavior in any way and are too misinformed to realize how lucky they are to not have to bury their parents or co workers. I've never been more pessimistic for the future of humanity than today.

Vermont had 27 new cases today, where they'd been averaging around 10 for a while. Massachusetts, where my mother lives, is back over 1000 a day. She's at Mass General Hospital for a hip problem. I hope she makes it out of there without getting the virus. That would be a disaster. Meanwhile I had recent ct scans showing emphysema, nodules, and atelectasis. I had some breathing tests done in Bangor and somehow the results are normal. According to their tests I have no lung problems. That's a relief, but if I catch covid, I'm going to have yes, big lung problems. I've been stocking up on canned goods and stuff in case it gets bad up here, I won't have to go out in public for a while.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3124  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 25, 2020 10:52 pm

Two weeks ago, our government increased measures and restrictions and promised to go further if numbers did not drop significantly within the next 14 days.

12 days later and news has already leaked that they won't announce new measures this tuesday, despite numbers having risen to over 10k new cases a day, but that the PM and Secretary of Health, will announce that they want to wait a bit longer, whilst warning for the need for 'draconian' measures, if the numbers don't improve over the coming days.

And so our indecisive, 'we know better than the rest of the medical world', government continues to fail to act..... :sigh:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3125  Postby NineBerry » Oct 26, 2020 9:37 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:And so our indecisive, 'we know better than the rest of the medical world', government continues to fail to act..... :sigh:

They are already moving patients over the border because there are no more free beds locally.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/st ... irus-surge

Germany also sees strongly rising numbers of covid patients in the ICU. Many politicians try to calm the population, arguing there are still enough available beds, but the numbers are rising exponentially and the people working in ICUs say there might be enough beds but not enough qualiifed personnel if the numbers go higher than in the spring,
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#3126  Postby Caper » Oct 26, 2020 2:23 pm

"Even if you don't die ...":

Link to study at 2:50:

https://cardiovascularnews.com/frankfur ... -patients/
Caper

Name: Glenn Smith

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3127  Postby Alan C » Oct 26, 2020 9:39 pm

I hear there's some good news coming out of Victoria?

Here we still had Armageddon go ahead but the majority of guests 'appeared' via a large screen set up on the stages, it worked well given the circumstances. SO and I decided to go with masks, she made a good one which caused less fogging although I opted to wear contacts. I would estimate 40-50% of attendees also had masks. It wasn't nearly as packed as previous years though, certainly the guest stages had plenty of room in the ones we attended.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#3128  Postby OlivierK » Oct 26, 2020 10:38 pm

Alan C wrote:I hear there's some good news coming out of Victoria?

Indeed. Zero cases and zero deaths yesterday [Edit: and again today!], with the whole state celebrating with doughnuts. Premier has announced reopening of restaurants and pubs. The three leading Twitter hashtags yesterday were #DonutDay, #GetOnTheBeers, and #NoBeersForNewsCorp, in honour of Rupert Murdoch's minions at his yellow rags in Victoria constantly undermining the Premier during the lockdown. :lol: :clap:

(News Corp campaigned for reopening right through the worst of the second wave, and now that cases are at super-low levels and reopening has come, are slagging the Premier for risking lives. Arseholes of the highest order. All because the Premier of Victoria is a Labor Party guy who they're desperate to take down. They're simultaneously fawning over and propping up the (conservative) NSW Premier, even as she's embroiled in multiple corruption scandals.)
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3129  Postby ronmcd » Oct 26, 2020 11:20 pm

OlivierK wrote:
Alan C wrote:I hear there's some good news coming out of Victoria?

Indeed. Zero cases and zero deaths yesterday [Edit: and again today!], with the whole state celebrating with doughnuts. Premier has announced reopening of restaurants and pubs. The three leading Twitter hashtags yesterday were #DonutDay, #GetOnTheBeers, and #NoBeersForNewsCorp, in honour of Rupert Murdoch's minions at his yellow rags in Victoria constantly undermining the Premier during the lockdown. :lol: :clap:

That's great news!
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#3130  Postby OlivierK » Oct 27, 2020 1:28 am

Yeah, it's a relief. Victoria sorting its shit out also increases the chances of reopening quarantine-free travel between all states as well as New Zealand sooner rather than later. Hopefully any future clusters can be quickly dealt with - the test and trace capacity is certainly there when the caseload is only low, and the motivation to stamp anything out swiftly is certainly high.

One of my kids is a pretty handy athlete and hockey player, and it would be nice if could get his representative tournaments back running again in 2021. His regional representative hockey squad program is starting up again in 2 weeks, and their inter-regional tournament is in April, so it's looking good at this stage.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3131  Postby Alan C » Oct 27, 2020 9:16 pm

Good to hear.
:thumbup:

And yeah, Murdoch should DIAF for all the scumbuggery he's caused around the world.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#3132  Postby Seabass » Oct 28, 2020 10:38 pm

Great. We're going to get even dumber. :nono:

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL8N2HI38G

LONDON (Reuters) - People recovering from COVID-19 may suffer significant brain function impacts, with the worst cases of the infection linked to mental decline equivalent to the brain ageing by 10 years, researchers warned on Tuesday.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#3133  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Oct 29, 2020 1:30 am

It's just getting worse and worse here. Even Manitoba's numbers are ramping up now. Uhg.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3134  Postby felltoearth » Oct 29, 2020 4:54 am

Seabass wrote:Great. We're going to get even dumber. :nono:

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL8N2HI38G

LONDON (Reuters) - People recovering from COVID-19 may suffer significant brain function impacts, with the worst cases of the infection linked to mental decline equivalent to the brain ageing by 10 years, researchers warned on Tuesday.

Didn’t notice any difference in BJ and The Donald.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3135  Postby Alan C » Oct 29, 2020 8:25 pm

Well, given current trends one could assume a significant number of both their supporters are getting infected and sharing amongst themselves. If they get any dumber...
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#3136  Postby The_Piper » Oct 29, 2020 8:58 pm

Dumber than Idiocracy. We have 80 new cases today, which may be the worst single day of the pandemic for us. That's more than double what we'd been averaging for the summer. It will hit us hard in Chainsaw country if it penetrates, due to the lack of effort protecting each other. I'm hoping for the best, but expecting a lot less.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3137  Postby ronmcd » Oct 30, 2020 6:47 pm

Tentative hopeful signs in Scotland, we had houselhold mixing banned back at the end of September, and then a hospitality shutdown on 9th October, and things seem to be level-ish now in terms of infection rate and number of daily cases. Hopefully we see the infection rates going down the way next week :pray: Sadly even if that happens, we're going to see lagging deaths going up.
Prof Devi Sridhar:
Positive news going into the weekend -> circuit-breaker in Scotland seems to be working. Yes this Halloween will be quite different- but if numbers keep dropping, hopefully more normality in Nov/December. Let's keep going & get there! Try not to get the virus & not to pass it on.

ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#3138  Postby The_Piper » Oct 30, 2020 7:32 pm

That's good.
Tentative bad signs here, as we build on yesterdays record worst with 103 new cases. I don't know if the locals have started to take it seriously yet, because I've been avoiding them like...the plague.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3139  Postby laklak » Oct 30, 2020 8:22 pm

5,444 new cases yesterday.

We good. We fine.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs