The New And Coming Plague

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The New And Coming Plague

#3401  Postby don't get me started » May 11, 2021 1:07 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:I had my first AZ shot last week. It was horrible. Fine for about 6 or 7 hours, then a really sudden fever. And I never normally get side effects from any drugs. Thankfully I get to do it all over again soon.

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to the side effects when I eventually get the vaccination. I got the flu shot at don't get her started's insistence a few years ago and I felt pretty wretched for a day and a half.

Mind you, the way things are going here, I won't be getting the vaccine for a good long while. The vaccine rollout is glacial here. The stats are, since mid February: 4.4 million shots with 1.6 million fully vaccinated. Out of a population of 123 million his turns out to be 0.9% of the population.

If the pandemic hasn't been so bad here compared to other countries it is mainly due to the well-disciplined and responsible population and very little to do with the sclerotic government institutions.
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#3402  Postby Spearthrower » May 11, 2021 1:21 am

don't get me started wrote:
Mind you, the way things are going here, I won't be getting the vaccine for a good long while. The vaccine rollout is glacial here. The stats are, since mid February: 4.4 million shots with 1.6 million fully vaccinated. Out of a population of 123 million his turns out to be 0.9% of the population.

Similarly not expecting any vaccination for myself in a goodly while - maybe 6 months?

don't get me started wrote:If the pandemic hasn't been so bad here compared to other countries it is mainly due to the well-disciplined and responsible population and very little to do with the sclerotic government institutions.

I'm not sure I would call Thais disciplined, but the sense of community here is quite different in the West - people near universally accept the need for masks and social distancing for the general well-being of all. There's certainly none of this anti-medicine ignorance and hubris going on in the supposedly most developed nations on Earth.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#3403  Postby The_Piper » May 11, 2021 3:02 am

Seabass wrote:I don't think this country is going to survive Fox News.

A Bunch of Anti-Vaxxers Just Burned a Giant Syringe in the Desert
Hundreds gathered in Utah to burn a symbolic needle labeled MEDICAL TYRANNY.

Freedom of speech giveth, and it taketh away. :picard:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3404  Postby BlackBart » May 11, 2021 5:22 am

I had what felt like a bad hangover and a slightly sore arm after both Pfizer shots. Nothing a couple of paracetamol and an afternoon sulking in front of the TV with a bacon sandwich didn't fix.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3405  Postby don't get me started » May 11, 2021 6:58 am

BlackBart wrote:I had what felt like a bad hangover and a slightly sore arm after both Pfizer shots. Nothing a couple of paracetamol and an afternoon sulking in front of the TV with a bacon sandwich didn't fix.

Your hangover remedies are exactly the same as mine. Must make a note to get the bacon, bread and builder's tea lined up for when I do get the vaccination. ;)
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#3406  Postby I'm With Stupid » May 11, 2021 10:23 am

Ours was organised through work, with all staff done on the same day, and they were then surprised when half of the workforce phoned in sick. Genius move.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3407  Postby Alan C » May 12, 2021 9:25 am

Hmm, while SO should be earlier in the queue to get the vaccine she has a condition that means she probably shouldn't get it. Smeg.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#3408  Postby The_Metatron » May 13, 2021 7:51 pm

The Metatrix scored an appointment for Tertius (13 years old) this morning. He has Pfizer round 1 installed!

I fuckin' win. My boys get to live.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3409  Postby willhud9 » May 13, 2021 8:12 pm

Called out of work today due to having a really bad headache, fatigue, and my entire left arm feeling like I worked out for the past 4 days.

In 2 weeks im fully vaccinated though so yay me!
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3410  Postby Spearthrower » May 13, 2021 10:55 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
I fuckin' win.

You win!

Your reward includes a slightly sore arm, a mild local rash, and the entire fucking world to go out and play in!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#3411  Postby Agrippina » May 14, 2021 6:34 am

Yesterday I saw signs up at our regular supermarket that their in-house pharmacy will be doing vaccinations. This is promising meaning we won't have to drive somewhere to get vaccinated, we can just get it at a supermarket. This doesn't mean we're immune from other variants that are now threatening us with yet another lockdown.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#3412  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » May 14, 2021 8:30 am

At least 4 variants are present in BC. Vaccination seems to be effective at reducing the transmission of all identified variants.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3413  Postby Agrippina » May 15, 2021 6:11 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:At least 4 variants are present in BC. Vaccination seems to be effective at reducing the transmission of all identified variants.

That's good to know. We're still doing essential workers. They've started with old people in one province, but there are thousands who live away from central areas so they need to get to those first. Seeing the sign at the supermarket is good, it means they're getting close to coming to our province. We're the smallest and the most populated one. Also we had to wait four weeks after the flu vaccination anyway so we'll be ready for them if they start on us next week.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#3414  Postby felltoearth » May 17, 2021 1:11 pm

So my MiL, who has spent three months in an oncology ward, has contracted COVID.

I’m done.

If you hear news about someone driving a car into an anti-masker rally in Toronto, you know who it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3415  Postby felltoearth » May 17, 2021 1:11 pm

So my MiL, who has spent three months in an oncology ward, has contracted COVID.

I’m done.

If you hear news about someone driving a car into an anti-masker rally in Toronto, you know who it is.

"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3416  Postby The_Metatron » May 17, 2021 2:57 pm

The State contracted a local hotel for a quarantine facility. These rednecks in Dumbfuckistan, Lewis fucking County, Washington, kiss the ass of their local sheriff-super-hero who, with thinks this is just a flu (still). Lowest vaccine uptake in the state.

I love the juicy irony as the locals whine about this state quarantine facility. It's just a flu. What's the problem, motherfuckers?

Goddamn, I fucking hate most people. This shit isn't just ignorant. This is willful.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3417  Postby The_Piper » May 17, 2021 3:15 pm

Fuckheads talk about the pussification of America. I'm more worried about the moronification of America. I guess we can include Canada in that. New Brunswick, has done really good with cases. Our nearest state. :dopey: It's incredibly rural across most of the province which helps a lot.
This moronification has been going on for a long time, longer than I've been alive. It has literally grave consequences.
Last edited by The_Piper on May 17, 2021 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3418  Postby The_Piper » May 17, 2021 3:15 pm

felltoearth wrote:So my MiL, who has spent three months in an oncology ward, has contracted COVID.

I’m done.

Sorry to hear that FTE. :hugs:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3419  Postby Agi Hammerthief » May 17, 2021 5:40 pm

I just feel sorry for those who can’t get vaccinated due to allergies or those it doesn’t help (transplant recipients apparently)
for the other fuckers it’s going to solve itself: They will contract it and either get immunity that way or they are going to die.

That’s a warning thought: 1-3% of Trump voters are going to die from this shit.
How many voters can the GOP afford to loose this way till next election?
Maybe someone ask them to do the math.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#3420  Postby quas » May 21, 2021 3:39 am

Saw this on Twitter:

Pandemic silver lining:

Wages have rose across the board in the lowest rung of jobs.

I've seen McDonald's ads for $18/hr when previously they paid $10/hr.

Catering used to pay $16/hr, now it clears $25/hr easy.

It's really hard to compete with free money from the government.

--
It also revealed something that not many people realized before Covid:

The government can actually afford to pay people a living wage just for sitting at home without imploding or going bankrupt.

I'm not sure how many % of people are on unemployment, but it's a high number.
--
Money seems kind of fake, doesn't it?
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs