Tory Party watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Tory Party watch

#3321  Postby ronmcd » Feb 13, 2016 9:55 pm

http://www.lbc.co.uk/junior-doctor-perf ... hem-124912
Dr Lauren Gavaghan's blistering speech on James O'Brien's show has gone viral with over 750,000 people watching it.

She insists that the Junior Doctors dispute is not just about being forced to work weekends, but is vital for everyone in the UK.

She said: "This is not about just Junior Doctors. In my opinion, this is about a much wider political picture. We have to take into account the socio-political climate here.

"The NHS is 2012 with the Health and Social Care Act was actually devolved. The government was devolved of responsibility for it. The public don't know that at all.

"What the government are trying to do with this whole bringing care to weekends is not to increase emergency care, because we do that of course already.

"What they are trying to do is introduce elective non-urgent clinics into weekends. What that means is that when the NHS is sold off into private hands, which is no secret - the whole of Wiltshire Childrens Services has just been sold off to Virgin, the whole of Devon has just been sold off to Virgin, Sittingbourne in Kent just recently has been sold off.

"Let's face the facts. When the NHS is being sold off, private companies do not want our complex, long-term physical or mental health patients.

"What they want is lovely little elective, non-urgent clinics which are now in the weekends and they can buy off.

"That's what this is all about. I think to not take the bigger picture into account would be a mistake in my opinion."
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#3322  Postby smudge » Feb 14, 2016 6:30 pm

Hunt running scared;

Tory activists prevent doctors from attending event with Jeremy Hunt
Doctors who had paid £15 to meet health secretary in Fareham were told reception was cancelled, but it went ahead elsewhere

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... nt-fareham
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3323  Postby Calilasseia » Feb 14, 2016 9:03 pm

Call John Major misguided if you wish, at least he had the guts to face the public without a huge security wall protecting an ideological echo chamber. But then he knew what it was like to be poor, though I sometimes wonder how he ended up as a Tory prime minister with that background ...
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3324  Postby ED209 » Feb 15, 2016 9:31 am

United Nations warns UK Government to 'stop tasering children'

The United Nations will condemn and publicly shame the Government in May for allowing police to use 50,000-volt stun guns on children, as well as stopping and searching toddlers.

The Government faces a six-hour grilling in Switzerland over the extent of its compliance with the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, which the UK signed in 1990 and ratified the following year...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 72591.html

Next week: tories who like tasering children to push for brexit from UN.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#3325  Postby Aca » Feb 15, 2016 10:01 am

Local councils, public bodies and even some university student unions are to be banned by law from boycotting “unethical” companies, as part of a controversial crackdown being announced by the Government.

Under the plan all publicly funded institutions will lose the freedom to refuse to buy goods and services from companies involved in the arms trade, fossil fuels, tobacco products or Israeli settlements in the occupied West Bank.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 74006.html
on an island marooned in the Middle Ages
Aca

Male

Malta (mt)
Print view this post

#3326  Postby Calilasseia » Feb 15, 2016 1:23 pm

Jeremy Cunt lives up to his new name again ...

Jeremy Hunt talk goes ahead after doctors were told it was cancelled

Basically, he lied about the event being cancelled, but instead moved it to another venue, whilst putting in place measures to ensure that only fellow occupants of his insulated ideological bubble would be allowed to attend. And of course, he's pocketed the £15 fees that were charged for the tickets that the junior doctors paid for.

Fucking evil scumbag.

Quite frankly, there will be lots of people who will regard it as karma, if this sleazy little shit is struck down by an excruciatingly painful and incurable disease. Unfortunately, nasty shits like him tend to have a Teflon-like ability to slip away from unpleasant consequences of their evil.
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3327  Postby Sendraks » Feb 15, 2016 1:34 pm

Calilasseia wrote:Basically, he lied about the event being cancelled, but instead moved it to another venue, whilst putting in place measures to ensure that only fellow occupants of his insulated ideological bubble would be allowed to attend.

Doesn't surprise me, Hunt is incapable of dealing with anything that conflicts with his preconceptions. His preferred options are either to pretend it hasn't happened or shout it down. This appears to be Jeremy going to extreme lengths to try and ignore the problem altogether.

He's also called for an inquiry in Junior Doctors morale.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#3328  Postby ronmcd » Feb 15, 2016 5:40 pm

Sendraks wrote:
He's also called for an inquiry in Junior Doctors morale.

Like bears having an inquiry into who keeps shitting in the woods.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#3329  Postby Calilasseia » Feb 15, 2016 9:18 pm

Meanwhile, not only has Jeremy Cunt been lying to the public through his shitty little rodent teeth, he's lied to Parliament as well.Read all about it here.
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3330  Postby Aca » Feb 17, 2016 5:30 pm

The number of doctors applying to work abroad surged by 1,000 per cent on the day Jeremy Hunt imposed new contract

The Health Secretary has been accused of acting as a recruiting agent for Australian hospitals

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 78776.html
Aca

Male

Malta (mt)
Print view this post

#3331  Postby THWOTH » Feb 17, 2016 10:42 pm

Hospital trusts threatened with cuts if they refuse to impose new contracts

http://gu.com/p/4gzb7

The government has told hospital foundation trusts that they could lose funding for training programmes if they refuse to impose the new contract for junior doctors.

The threat comes in a letter from Health Education England, the Department of Health body responsible for education and training, to chief executives of NHS trusts in England. It states that decisions on awarding funding for training posts will hinge in part on whether a trust decided to rebel against Jeremy Hunt over the new national contract.

However, none of the 152 foundation trust hospitals in England, which are semi-independent, are legally obliged to force junior doctors to accept the junior contract, the Department of Health admitted last week.

The government had feared trusts could be tempted to offer better terms as a means to recruit enough junior doctors to start as trainees in early August...

Party of the free-market my ninny's chuff.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3332  Postby ronmcd » Feb 17, 2016 11:52 pm

THWOTH wrote:
Hospital trusts threatened with cuts if they refuse to impose new contracts

Party of the free-market my ninny's chuff.

I'm sure this isn't a direct response to the news at the weekend that Hunt hasn't actually got the power to impose the new contract on trusts .... no, no, I'm sure he's not that pathetic.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#3333  Postby OlivierK » Feb 18, 2016 1:03 am

Aca wrote:
The number of doctors applying to work abroad surged by 1,000 per cent on the day Jeremy Hunt imposed new contract

The Health Secretary has been accused of acting as a recruiting agent for Australian hospitals

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 78776.html

Yep, with our own government in Australia pinching pennies on training adequate numbers of doctors, we find it easier to hire doctors that other countries have paid to train. Doctors from the UK, with a similar medical culture, high training standards, and good English are gratefully received, as next to zero work needs to be done to get them ready to practice here, unlike doctors from non-English speaking backgrounds, or countries whose training standards differ to the point of requiring testing for recertification to practice here.

The main problem UK junior doctors have in coming to Australia is that for about half the year we consider 25C days a bit on the cool side, rather than anything work-related. Although junior doctors still get shit rosters compared to their more senior colleagues, weekend work is well paid, and the fight against unsafe practices like 36 hour shifts has been largely run and won.

While we have a similar conservative government, they don't have the same sort of polling lead that would let them attack hospital doctors' conditions, and they seem preoccupied with dismantling free access to GPs, rather than the hospital side of things, and even there they've been forced to back off from their more overt vandalism.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3334  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 18, 2016 4:15 pm

Polly Toynbee wrote:
David Cameron deserves to come out of the EU referendum with no credit

Since becoming Conservative leader in 2005, Cameron has taken every opportunity to undermine Europe. He ought to be ashamed of his actions

Remember this today: whatever happens in these last-ditch EU negotiations, David Cameron has frivolously and selfishly taken his country to the very brink for nothing more than marginal political self-interest. He has gambled everything he thinks is in the national interest in exchange for worse than nothing. What he has done is unforgivable, shameful and shameless.

He may pull it off: an agreement tomorrow followed by a “remain” vote in a June referendum. Victory! His historic legacy secured! That will be like giving a medal to a ski instructor for leading his group off-piste down a closed black run and pulling them out alive from the ensuing avalanche. I’m no skier, but I’d expect him to be banned from the slopes, his licence removed.
More...

I once again agree with Polly.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3335  Postby mrjonno » Feb 18, 2016 5:09 pm

Well staying in the EU is a hell of a lot more important than Cameron future, the left/sane should wait until after the referendum before having a go
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3336  Postby Aca » Feb 18, 2016 5:58 pm

The new DWP benefits helpline is going to cost claimants up to 45p a minute

The chair of the Work and Pensions Select Committee said the move was 'disturbing'

The phone line to claim Iain Duncan Smith’s new benefits system will cost callers trying to get assistance as much as 45p a minute, it has been confirmed.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 81441.html
Aca

Male

Malta (mt)
Print view this post

#3337  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 18, 2016 6:17 pm

Aca wrote:
The new DWP benefits helpline is going to cost claimants up to 45p a minute

The chair of the Work and Pensions Select Committee said the move was 'disturbing'

The phone line to claim Iain Duncan Smith’s new benefits system will cost callers trying to get assistance as much as 45p a minute, it has been confirmed.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 81441.html

Saw that in the Guardian. 12p per minute for a land line call or free on-line. Who in the hell has money for a computer when they are after benefits?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3338  Postby minininja » Feb 18, 2016 7:30 pm

Calls to the DWP - god help you if your problem can't be solved by their automated system (and it can't). At least twenty minutes listening to an appallingly synthesised Vivaldi on a thirty second loop - I can still hear it to this day. And so thanks to IDS you can now watch the last of your pounds tick away while wanting to stick a screwdriver through your ear. And that's before you get through to the security questions and transfers and further holding and the same security questions from someone else, eventually to be told that you'll receive a letter in the post within two weeks that will inevitably mean you'll have to call them again.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3340  Postby mcgruff » Feb 19, 2016 12:15 am

THWOTH wrote:Party of the free-market my ninny's chuff.

Not much room for the free market in the ban on boycotts & divestment for councils etc either... This is exactly how free markets are supposed to work: people or organisations choosing where to spend their money. Now it's been rigged to support predetermined outcomes.

Although everyone is talking about Israel, I suspect that the principal motivation is concern over fossil fuel divestment. Israel and its dodgy behaviour has been around for a while but carbon divestment is new and could have massive consequences. Tories are dead set on fracking for example and have been busy preparing the ground (no pun intended). A switch to renewables would be a revolutionary step requiring massive investments in a smart supergrid, energy efficiency, and changes to our lifestyles. It's the most important decision of our generation but now it's actually been made illegal to campaign for a fossil fuel free future, at least in certain kinds of ways..!!

I've been very angry at many harmful tory pollicies in recent years but this one leaves me shocked and stunned. It's actual fascism.
mcgruff

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs