Tory Party watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Tory Party watch

#661  Postby OlivierK » May 23, 2015 4:00 am

Calilasseia wrote:So the Tories made up a fake memo claiming Nicola Sturgeon preferred Cameron over Miliband, fed it to the Daily Torygraph, and have now been caught. These wankers can't be trusted to shovel shit from point A to point B without police supervision, let alone run a fucking country.

Carmichael is a Liberal Democrat, not a Tory, so there's no risk of him ever again being involved in running a country.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#662  Postby ED209 » May 23, 2015 7:30 am

It's an easy mistake to make, claimed affiliation aside usually we see the desperate and cack-handed apologism deployed over the misdeeds of blue tories rather than yellow tories.

Especially so now that yellow tories are rarer than mountain gorillas (with the difference that people hope there will still be mountain gorillas in five years time).
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#663  Postby ronmcd » May 23, 2015 11:48 am

Of course there were 2 ministers in that department, the libdem Carmichael and the Tory Mundell. Did he know as well?

To be honest, probably not. There's a special level of dishonesty combined with utter incompetence that screams libdems & Carmichael specifically. And I actually dont think Mundell would do it.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#664  Postby ronmcd » May 23, 2015 11:50 am

Then again, some disagree about Mundell:

https://twitter.com/DerekBateman2
Is there a Carmichael deal in place to limit his punishment if he keeps quiet about any Mundell complicity? If Fluffy knew, he's toast.

Is it credible Carmichael didn't share #Frenchgate info with the only other politician in the Scotland Office, his Coalition pal? For WEEKS?
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#665  Postby ronmcd » May 23, 2015 11:53 am

Oooh, it's bad for the Tory journalists at the Telegraph when they are attacked by Sun journalists ....

https://twitter.com/AndrewSNicoll/statu ... 8299114498
Beyond parody. @Telegraph abandons all pretence of being a newspaper. Left out AC's admission that it's "not correct"
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#666  Postby Strontium Dog » May 23, 2015 5:12 pm

The SNP-supporting Sun are obviously going to side against the fact of Sturgeon's comments, and the reality that a Tory PM in Downing Street is exactly what she wanted in her quest to turn Scotland into a Venezuela of the North.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#667  Postby ronmcd » May 23, 2015 10:07 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:The SNP-supporting Sun are obviously going to side against the fact of Sturgeon's comments, and the reality that a Tory PM in Downing Street is exactly what she wanted in her quest to turn Scotland into a Venezuela of the North.

Carmichael - LIAR.
Sturgeon - says she did not say it, backed by everyone in the room, with only a 3rd hand account suggesting otherwise, civil service think it's wrong, "lost in translation".

Ever think you've backed the wrong (lying scumbag) horse? That's your yellow horse, in this case, rather than your blue one from pre-election.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#668  Postby Calilasseia » May 23, 2015 11:10 pm

Oh wait, Carmichael's weaselly apology letter was presented on Twitter by Nicola Sturgeon ... here it is ...

Including the immortal words:

I accept that the publication was a serious breach of protocol and that the details of the account are not correct.

In short, Carmichael has admitted that the Tories lied when they handed this to their attack dogs in the Torygraph.

Seems like a certain Tory ApologistTM has been exposed by the facts once more.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#669  Postby OlivierK » May 24, 2015 8:24 am

Strontium Dog wrote:The SNP-supporting Sun are obviously going to side against the fact of Sturgeon's comments, and the reality that a Tory PM in Downing Street is exactly what she wanted in her quest to turn Scotland into a Venezuela of the North.

OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#670  Postby minininja » May 24, 2015 9:47 am

London Property Bubble Sees First Ex-Council Flat Hit Market For £1.15m

An ex council flat has gone on the London property market for more than £1million – in what is believed to be a first for the city.

The two bedroom, two bathroom flat in south Kensington is being advertised by Maskells estate agents for £1,150,000.

Sitauted in Keppel House, Brompton Cross, the third floor apartment is atop a Stella McCartney boutique and is “ideally located” for Harrods and the King’s Road.

The Evening Standard writes the property smashes the previous record asking price for an ex-local authority flat – that being £999,950 on the King’s Road.

Council tenant Annette Greenwood, 60, has lived in the block since 1990, and told the newspaper: “Prices round here are crazy, sky-high, and beyond the means of ordinary working people. I used to know the people who lived in flats but not any more. There was a sense of community.”

Surely at some point this is all going to come crashing down.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#671  Postby ED209 » May 24, 2015 9:57 am

Best case scenario: In five years' time there'll be a progressive government which will finally see incomes rising and there still won't be enough houses. In the meantime we have a continuation of tory mismanagement which ensures a fragile economy unable to support normal interest rates, hence the availability of cheap borrowing to the same people who keep the tories in office with the sole mandate of keeping their house prices inflated.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#672  Postby chairman bill » May 24, 2015 10:17 am

When pretty much everyone is convinced that you're writing bollocks, and the content of your posts is increasingly detached from reality, it might be best to just stop posting for a while. Snuggle down on the sofa, give Big Teddy a cuddle & have nanny make you a nice glass of warm orange squash and a biscuit. Take some time out.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#673  Postby ronmcd » May 24, 2015 6:34 pm

Ah, the Tories. Just as corrupt and untrustworthy as the libdems.

From 2014:

An Independent Scotland 'would lose its HS2', warns minister
Expensive plans to speed rail commuters from London to Glasgow and Edinburgh in under three hours would be scrapped if Scotland votes for independence, a cabinet minister has warned. The Department for Transport agency overseeing High Speed Two is currently examining options for a third phase of the much criticised railway, which would pour billions more on to a budget that has already topped £40bn.

There would probably be a link from Manchester or Leeds – the two cities where the "Y"-shaped second phase ends – to Scotland. This would ultimately shave well over an hour off journeys between the capital and Edinburgh or Glasgow.

However, a cabinet minister told The Independent on Sunday that an extra link was almost inconceivable in the event of a Yes vote for independence in September, due to the added cost burden on UK finances to a country that was no longer in the union.

The source said: "The high-speed railway is a substantial public investment and it's difficult to see how that investment would be justified from south of the border."

A Scottish pro-union MP added: "Many of us would like to see HS2 extended to the central belt of Scotland, but I couldn't see an independent Scotland being able to afford it nor English taxpayers subsidising them."

And now in 2015, after Scotland voted to stay?

SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#674  Postby minininja » Jun 12, 2015 10:29 am

Turn benefits into repayable loan, says Tory group

Young unemployed people should be forced to repay their benefit money when they get a job, an influential group of Conservative MPs has said.

The proposal to pay benefits as a loan would give them "an additional incentive to find work rather than allow the debt to build up".

The idea is included in a new book setting out a "radical" free market agenda for the Conservative government.

Author Kwasi Kwarteng is seen as a rising star on the right of the party.

The Conservative MP and junior ministerial aide argues that free enterprise - rather than government interference - is the answer to the problems facing Britain.

These people are fucking mental. Total disconnect from reality.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#675  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 12, 2015 10:30 am

As long as they stay in Britain.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#676  Postby angelo » Jun 12, 2015 11:17 am

Expect any different from a right leaning party?
angelo

Name: angelo barbato
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#677  Postby Sendraks » Jun 12, 2015 11:25 am

minininja wrote:

Young unemployed people should be forced to repay their benefit money when they get a job, an influential group of Conservative MPs has said.

The proposal to pay benefits as a loan would give them "an additional incentive to find work rather than allow the debt to build up".

The idea is included in a new book setting out a "radical" free market agenda for the Conservative government.

The Conservative MP and junior ministerial aide argues that free enterprise - rather than government interference - is the answer to the problems facing Britain.

Yup, that'll really help people get back on their feet after a lengthy spell of unemployment.

I thought that everyone already contributed towards their benefits through taxation, a bit like a lottery only one where you hope you're never lucky enough to "win" and have to draw upon the prize fund.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#678  Postby Alan B » Jun 12, 2015 12:23 pm

Kwasi_Kwarteng
Another Eton toff, expert in economics, history and classics but, it seems, with little compassion, understanding or experience of the 'masses' he is supposed to help govern.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#679  Postby Fallible » Jun 12, 2015 12:54 pm

Oh, that knobend.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#680  Postby Calilasseia » Jun 12, 2015 5:01 pm

ronmcd wrote:Ah, the Tories. Just as corrupt and untrustworthy as the libdems.

From 2014:

An Independent Scotland 'would lose its HS2', warns minister
Expensive plans to speed rail commuters from London to Glasgow and Edinburgh in under three hours would be scrapped if Scotland votes for independence, a cabinet minister has warned. The Department for Transport agency overseeing High Speed Two is currently examining options for a third phase of the much criticised railway, which would pour billions more on to a budget that has already topped £40bn.

There would probably be a link from Manchester or Leeds – the two cities where the "Y"-shaped second phase ends – to Scotland. This would ultimately shave well over an hour off journeys between the capital and Edinburgh or Glasgow.

However, a cabinet minister told The Independent on Sunday that an extra link was almost inconceivable in the event of a Yes vote for independence in September, due to the added cost burden on UK finances to a country that was no longer in the union.

The source said: "The high-speed railway is a substantial public investment and it's difficult to see how that investment would be justified from south of the border."

A Scottish pro-union MP added: "Many of us would like to see HS2 extended to the central belt of Scotland, but I couldn't see an independent Scotland being able to afford it nor English taxpayers subsidising them."

And now in 2015, after Scotland voted to stay?

SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland

HS2 was always about turning Birmingham into a sort of Birkenau for the minimum-wage plebs who can no longer afford to live in London but have to work there. That was the Tory agenda all along, to use Birmingham as a social cleansing dumping ground for all the hired helps, whilst allowing them to get to London fast enough to put in a full 8 hours. That way, they can make London a place where they'll only ever bump into fellow toffs and bonus bankers, plus the odd A-list actress allowed to hop from theatre to theatre, to give the more lecherous members of the Tory elite something to molest whilst waddling from expense-account hotel breakfast to gentleman's club. Meanwhile, all the unwashed riff-raff who do the actual work, can be hived off to stack-a-prole estates sufficiently far away to ensure the Tories never have to look at an ordinary person, other than to issue orders.

As for the tourists, well they'll be kept underground on the Tube, except at designated collection points to point their cameras at Buckingham Palace and Nelson's Column, so that the Tories don't have to look at people with funny skin colours.

The next step will be to build the Tory version of the Iron Curtain, to keep the undesirables (namely anyone who isn't a chinless Hooray or a corporate robber baron) from getting too close to their gilded palaces. No doubt policed by assorted hired thugs from private "security services" with orders to shoot to kill anything that looks as if it eats chip butties.

As for Scotland, the Tory plans all centre on finding ways of keeping the grouse moors and salmon runs open for their rich friends. As for the Scots themselves, the Tories would probably herd them all into gas chambers if they could get away with it. Yes, they are that evil.

Sendraks wrote:
minininja wrote:

Yup, that'll really help people get back on their feet after a lengthy spell of unemployment.

Oh, you thought that Tory mouthing about "being better off in work" was something they honestly meant? Ha ha ha ha ha.

What they really want, is to keep the poor destitute and exploitable. I keep telling you, they don't think of the poor as fellow human beings, but as commodities to be bought and sold by their rich friends. Anything propelling the poor ever further into serfdom, is what the Tories are planning. Because they really don't give a shit about whether or not the poor gain enough of a leg up on the socio-economic ladder to have a disposable income, and as a result, generate real economic demands for goods and services. To the Tories, the poor are plebs and serfs, to be kept in their place and worked to death. In that respect, the Tories are no different from Speer or Eichmann. They're similarly venal, corrupt to the core, and implacably evil.

Sendraks wrote:I thought that everyone already contributed towards their benefits through taxation, a bit like a lottery only one where you hope you're never lucky enough to "win" and have to draw upon the prize fund.

No, in Tory WorldTM, the only people who purportedly provide anything of worth, are their heavily subsidised fat-cat rich friends, making vast profits by paying below-subsistence wages to the plebs. The people who actually do the fucking work that makes all that fucking money, well in Tory WorldTM they're just the menial slaves, and to be treated as such.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs