UK Court Convicts Man For Offensive Joke

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: UK Court Convicts Man For Offensive Joke

#81  Postby purplerat » Mar 21, 2018 1:47 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:I'm not sure why people are so confidant he's a good guy with a distasteful sense of humour. I don't know enough about him to say whether he is or isn't a Nazi. I just know he's unfunny.

Has anybody suggested he's a good guy? About the best anybody has said is that he doesn't appear to be trying to incite violence or hatred - or at least if he was then he's really bad at it.

I would however agree that prosecuting him has made him a much more sympathetic figure than if he'd just been an asshole who made a shitty YouTube video.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#82  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Mar 21, 2018 1:49 pm

Still just looks like an unfunny asshole to me.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#83  Postby Thommo » Mar 21, 2018 2:09 pm

purplerat wrote:I guess I made the mistake of assuming that most people aren't neutral on Nazis.

Are you suggesting that people's negative disposition towards Nazis means that a video that doesn't criticise Nazis in any meaningful way becomes anti-Nazi?

If not, I don't think I get what you're saying here.
Thommo

Print view this post

#84  Postby purplerat » Mar 21, 2018 2:50 pm

Thommo wrote:
purplerat wrote:I guess I made the mistake of assuming that most people aren't neutral on Nazis.

Are you suggesting that people's negative disposition towards Nazis means that a video that doesn't criticise Nazis in any meaningful way becomes anti-Nazi?

If not, I don't think I get what you're saying here.

My assumption was that most people understand that being labeled a Nazi is a bad thing. It's pejorative and thus anti-Nazi, even if only mildly so. The comparison I would make is to somebody using the term "gay" as a pejorative. When somebody refers to something they don't like or are putting down as being "gay" even when it has nothing to do with homosexuality I think most of us recognize that as being offensive towards gay people. The primary difference here being that nobody gives a shit if Nazis are offended, but that doesn't change the underlying logic.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#85  Postby purplerat » Mar 21, 2018 2:52 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Still just looks like an unfunny asshole to me.

The thing about unfunny assholes is that they still have rights too.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#86  Postby Corneel » Mar 21, 2018 3:18 pm

Tolerating this kind of shit contributes to a climate in society wherein a shop assistant feels its OK to step up to my wife after she had been browsing the clothes for a few minutes with the words "I don't think we have anything in this shop for you".
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#87  Postby purplerat » Mar 21, 2018 3:24 pm

Corneel wrote:Tolerating this kind of shit contributes to a climate in society wherein a shop assistant feels its OK to step up to my wife after she had been browsing the clothes for a few minutes with the words "I don't think we have anything in this shop for you".

It seems like that type of behavior has been rising right alongside the application of these types of laws. It's almost like giving these types of asshats a valid cause to rally around (free speech) contributes even more to embolden them.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#88  Postby Thommo » Mar 21, 2018 3:32 pm

That seems like a spurious correlation, the way people communicate has altered dramatically with the rise of instant messaging, social networking, mobile phones and faster and faster internet speeds.

The new laws are responses (and they might well be ineffective, at least in some people's opinion) to changes in society, not the other way around.
Thommo

Print view this post

#89  Postby purplerat » Mar 21, 2018 3:37 pm

Thommo wrote:That seems like a spurious correlation, the way people communicate has altered dramatically with the rise of instant messaging, social networking, mobile phones and faster and faster internet speeds.

The new laws are responses (and they might well be ineffective, at least in some people's opinion) to changes in society, not the other way around.

Wouldn't it be a spurious correlation either way though? i.e. saying a shop owner being a jerk is related to some guy on the internet making a shitty video.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#90  Postby Thommo » Mar 21, 2018 3:43 pm

purplerat wrote:Wouldn't it be a spurious correlation either way though? i.e. saying a shop owner being a jerk is related to some guy on the internet making a shitty video.

It might well be, yes.
Thommo

Print view this post

#91  Postby Matthew Shute » Mar 21, 2018 4:13 pm

A protest march outside the Houses of Parliament is planned for the 23rd of April, the day of the sentencing. Apparently Stephen Knight, host of the Godless Spellchecker Podcast (anyone else familiar?), might be heading over there with his camera to document it.

Meanwhile, Index on Censorship has released a statement, condemning the conviction.
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#92  Postby Thommo » Mar 21, 2018 4:42 pm

purplerat wrote:The comparison I would make is to somebody using the term "gay" as a pejorative.

Just as a tangent from this, Meechan has discussed that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBEK9NcIXIo
(I found this video entitled "Eating Ice Cream Is Gay" from this article https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/20 ... ree-speech which takes a rather different view than most we've see so far)

I wonder whether his tone is equally critical in both?
Thommo

Print view this post

#93  Postby laklak » Mar 21, 2018 4:47 pm

Eating ice cream is only gay if you put Rainbow Sprinkles on it. Would that be Rainbow Hundreds and Thousands across the pond?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#94  Postby purplerat » Mar 21, 2018 4:57 pm

Thommo wrote:
purplerat wrote:The comparison I would make is to somebody using the term "gay" as a pejorative.

(I found this video entitled "Eating Ice Cream Is Gay" from this article https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/20 ... ree-speech which takes a rather different view than most we've see so far)

You misunderstood the context of what was meant by "Eating Ice Cream Is Gay" there. It's not a pejorative use of gay the way I was discussing it. Rather it was literally meant that eating ice cream is associated with being homosexual. As in "a man who has sex with other men is gay" not "I don't like ice cream, therefore it's gay".

Additionally, Meechan goes on to say that if the behavior associated with "being gay" was negative (i.e. having AIDS) then he'd see a problem with it. I think a fairer comparison in what he is saying is between Nazis and AIDS.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#95  Postby CarlPierce » Mar 21, 2018 5:03 pm

This prosecution is a very bad day for justice. I don't want to live in a society that makes jokes illegal. Next step is banning any disrespect towards the royals or the government.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#96  Postby Thommo » Mar 21, 2018 5:04 pm

purplerat wrote:
Thommo wrote:

You misunderstood the context of what was meant be "Eating Ice Cream Is Gay" there.

No I didn't.

I said that he'd discussed the phrase that you'd mentioned. In fact he was saying that just using a phrase like "eating ice cream is gay" does not mean it's perjorative.

You may think therefore that this particular use of "X is gay" is not pejorative and therefore unlike his use of "m8 yer dugs a Nazi", "Who's a good wee Nazi?" and "So I thought I'd turn him into the least cute thing that I could think of, which is a Nazi", but that doesn't mean I do, or people generally do.

One possibility is that he doesn't think any of those things can be assumed to be pejorative.

purplerat wrote:It's not a pejorative use of gay the way I was discussing it. Rather it was literally meant that eating ice cream is associated with being homosexual. As in "a man who has sex with other men is gay" not "I don't like ice cream, therefore it's gay".

But associating a cute dog that he plays with on a daily basis with Nazis, is clearly pejorative in a way this isn't?

I don't think so.

purplerat wrote:Additionally, Meechan goes on to say that if the behavior associated with "being gay" was negative (i.e. having AIDS) then he'd see a problem with it. I think a fairer comparison in what he is saying is between Nazis and AIDS.

Right, and if he was associating Nazis with a cute dog is that more like an obvious negative like having aids, or like a not so obvious negative like eating ice cream?

While I posted it because I thought it was a tangent and not a continuation of our previous discussion, since you've made this point, I'll again reiterate that I think it's very clearly like the latter, and it's in this that the attribution you've made to me errs.
Thommo

Print view this post

#97  Postby Thommo » Mar 21, 2018 5:05 pm

CarlPierce wrote:This prosecution is a very bad day for justice. I don't want to live in a society that makes jokes illegal. Next step is banning any disrespect towards the royals or the government.

It's a terrible slippery slope. I'm sure this will happen any day now. It's absolutely entailed by this prosecution.
Thommo

Print view this post

#98  Postby Thommo » Mar 21, 2018 5:14 pm

More background info here: Meechan's "apology" (inverted commas because this is how I've seen people refer to it, but he doesn't actually apologise, he explains his version of why he did it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCgdWoIDoPU

I did also read (although can't find the argument directly right now) that although he says he expected the video to just be seen by a few friends he left the video up after being asked to take it down, due to it being offensive and being made aware of the antisemitic comments that were piling up under it. It racked up more than two million additional views after he was made aware. I can't provide any link to confirm that at the moment though.
Thommo

Print view this post

#99  Postby purplerat » Mar 21, 2018 5:17 pm

Thommo wrote:
purplerat wrote:
Thommo wrote:

You misunderstood the context of what was meant be "Eating Ice Cream Is Gay" there.

No I didn't.

I said that he'd discussed the phrase that you'd mentioned. In fact he was saying that just using a phrase like "eating ice cream is gay" does not mean it's perjorative.

You may think therefore that this particular use of "X is gay" is not pejorative and therefore unlike his use of "m8 yer dugs a Nazi", "Who's a good wee Nazi?" and "So I thought I'd turn him into the least cute thing that I could think of, which is a Nazi", but that doesn't mean I do, or people generally do.

One possibility is that he doesn't think any of those things can be assumed to be pejorative.

You're right. I'd only watched the part about "eating ice cream is gay" initially but then rewatched the whole thing. So he thinks calling things "gay" as a pejorative even when it's not really about homosexuality is not offensive to gay people. I certainly disagree with him.

purplerat wrote:
Thommo wrote:
purplerat wrote:It's not a pejorative use of gay the way I was discussing it. Rather it was literally meant that eating ice cream is associated with being homosexual. As in "a man who has sex with other men is gay" not "I don't like ice cream, therefore it's gay".

But associating a cute dog that he plays with on a daily basis with Nazis, is clearly pejorative in a way this isn't?

I don't think so.

I suppose if he just dressed the dog as a Nazi or called it Hitler then maybe. But he is using the phrase "Gas the Jews". So unless you believe that he thinks gassing Jews is neutral (like eating ice cream) and not something terrible (like AIDS) then it's clear he's using the Nazi portrayal pejoratively. Just like when he acknowledges that associating AIDS with gay people is offensive towards gay people.

To simplify:
AIDS = gay people = Offensive to gay people
Gas Jews = Nazis = Offensive to Nazis

The only difference is that nobody really gives a shit about being offensive to Nazis.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#100  Postby purplerat » Mar 21, 2018 5:20 pm

Thommo wrote:
CarlPierce wrote:This prosecution is a very bad day for justice. I don't want to live in a society that makes jokes illegal. Next step is banning any disrespect towards the royals or the government.

It's a terrible slippery slope. I'm sure this will happen any day now. It's absolutely entailed by this prosecution.

I'm sure you mean this in jest but here in the US we have a president who thinks not clapping for him is treasonous.

Of course, he says all kinds of shitty things that other people would like to see criminalized and that's the problem with criminalizing speech, you never know who's going to be the one deciding what is or isn't allowed.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs