UK EU Referendum

It's on

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: UK EU Referendum

#1961  Postby surreptitious57 » Jun 27, 2016 8:52 am

zoon wrote:
If it is more than enough time for a single issue then why did you not make up your mind and vote ? As I understand your posts
in this thread you have been saying that four months and three days is useless because you still did not know enough about all the issues involved. As it turns out you did have a good point most people were fairly clueless largely because no sizeable country has left the EU before. It could be argued that it would be a travesty of democracy to get people to vote for a
mass of unintended consequences they really did not want and then insist on holding them to that uninformed choice

Not everyone can make up their mind. But as long as most do and there is a majority decision that is all that is
required. No election or referendum will have a hundred per cent turnout anyway less it is actually compulsory
And some also do not vote because they are not interested in doing so
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#1962  Postby GrahamH » Jun 27, 2016 8:55 am

surreptitious57 wrote:
zoon wrote:
Probably Thommo and GrahamH are right and leave is leave I still think the possibility of not leaving is worth staying with when its so clear that a high proportion of leave voters were wrong about what they were voting for. Thommo says rightly that the question on the ballot paper was clear it is equally clear that millions of people read it as meaning significantly less immigration

The people of this country had four months and three days to decide whether or not we should remain in the EU. This is more than enough time for a single issue. So we cannot have another referendum just because some are having second thoughts as that would be a complete travesty of democracy. So for better or for worse the decision has to stand. Sometimes though you have to wonder. Since the second most googled question after the referendum was what is the EU ? which could mean that a significant proportion of the population actually voted for or against something they knew absolutely nothing about. Seriously

I don't think the ballot question was clear at all. OK, it was clear as "In" or "Out", but what does "Out" look like? What does "In really mean? I don't think either campaign did a good job of explaining what people were actually voting for. The reality is complex. It was hard work to find out the options might mean.

On the Google thing, I'm guessing that a large number of those queries were from non-voters waking up to news of something big having just happened that they had paid no attention to. There were 12 million that didn't vote.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#1963  Postby zoon » Jun 27, 2016 9:00 am

GrahamH wrote:
zoon wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
zoon wrote:
As you say, it's the Mail, but the Mail is here reporting against its own position. I agree there's nothing significant yet, but I'm still waiting for clearer statements in the media about what the official Leave line is on immigration: i.e. effectively no change.

Wasn't Mail on Sunday pro remain and Daily Mail pro leave?

OK, I was taking the headline in isolation and I think you are right about the Mail on Sunday versus the Mail, I'm not arguing people have changed their minds in significant numbers as yet. I still think many more are likely to when (if) it dawns on them that Leave are not even intending to ask for big changes in immigration rules.

I am also not happy with the opinion I think you have been expressing further back, that the result should stand because people should learn to accept the consequences of their actions? Perhaps I am misrepresenting you here, I haven't looked for the post. This is not a schoolroom, and if it was, if a child set the house on fire would you refuse to put the fire out on the grounds that the child should learn about the consequences of its actions?

That wasn't quite my point. Not that people should face the consequences of their votes, but rather that democracy matters. It's bad if people don't engage. It's bad if peoples think their votes don't count. We have seen a few saying they were surprised by the result and they voted as a protest, not to see Leave win. There's a much bigger issue with that than punishing the voter.
The big thing I sthat governments should not expect to be free to manipulate votes as they like. It's dangerous for democracy for the elite to ignore or twist a result as they like.
This is not a school room. Voters must be treated as, and behave as, adults, to a substantial degree.

I think the lesson from all this is not that we should never trust the people with big votes but rather that referenda must present a much clearer and fairer picture of what the outcomes of the options are likely to be.

The Scottish referendum had a detailed document setting out what people were voting for. In this one there was fuck all from Leave. Just lies and hints at things they never intended to deliver.

This seems particularly salient because a key issue in this farce is sovereignty.

So if there were clear evidence for a major shift in opinion when the dust settles a bit more and everyone realises free EU immigration is what leave want, would you then oppose the government of the day overturning the result?

ETA: Perhaps the evidence would have to take the form of an election or another referendum?
zoon

Print view this post

#1964  Postby GrahamH » Jun 27, 2016 9:10 am

zoon wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
zoon wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
Wasn't Mail on Sunday pro remain and Daily Mail pro leave?

OK, I was taking the headline in isolation and I think you are right about the Mail on Sunday versus the Mail, I'm not arguing people have changed their minds in significant numbers as yet. I still think many more are likely to when (if) it dawns on them that Leave are not even intending to ask for big changes in immigration rules.

I am also not happy with the opinion I think you have been expressing further back, that the result should stand because people should learn to accept the consequences of their actions? Perhaps I am misrepresenting you here, I haven't looked for the post. This is not a schoolroom, and if it was, if a child set the house on fire would you refuse to put the fire out on the grounds that the child should learn about the consequences of its actions?

That wasn't quite my point. Not that people should face the consequences of their votes, but rather that democracy matters. It's bad if people don't engage. It's bad if peoples think their votes don't count. We have seen a few saying they were surprised by the result and they voted as a protest, not to see Leave win. There's a much bigger issue with that than punishing the voter.
The big thing I sthat governments should not expect to be free to manipulate votes as they like. It's dangerous for democracy for the elite to ignore or twist a result as they like.
This is not a school room. Voters must be treated as, and behave as, adults, to a substantial degree.

I think the lesson from all this is not that we should never trust the people with big votes but rather that referenda must present a much clearer and fairer picture of what the outcomes of the options are likely to be.

The Scottish referendum had a detailed document setting out what people were voting for. In this one there was fuck all from Leave. Just lies and hints at things they never intended to deliver.

This seems particularly salient because a key issue in this farce is sovereignty.

So if there were clear evidence for a major shift in opinion when the dust settles a bit more and everyone realises free immigration is what leave want, would you then oppose the government of the day overturning the result?

That's not easy to answer. If it can be show that there was a clear majority vote for reducing immigration then that's a mandate for reducing immigration. It wasn't what was intended in calling the referendum, but, if the people have spoken...

I agree people were lied to about funds to NHS and immigration and sovereignty, but they weren't asked to give a view on those issues. They were asked if we should leave the EU, and they said yes.

Changing the rules or interpretation after the vote would be a dangerous precedent.

And arguing that people voted leave because they thought it would cut immigration does not suggest to mat that those people would vote remain in a second referendum. If they voted on sovereignty then disregarding the result is likely to enflame that issue immensely. "Not only doe Brussels impose laws on us, our own government disregards out clear democratic will". Where does that road lead?

I'm not against a second referendum per se, but I haven't seen anything close to a justification for that so far. It's the Scottish situation again. CIrcumstances would have to materially change and polls would have to show a clear change of heart.
Last edited by GrahamH on Jun 27, 2016 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#1965  Postby ronmcd » Jun 27, 2016 9:11 am

GrahamH wrote:
Briton wrote:Okay. I'm amazed that anyone would regret voting remain though...on what grounds, that they ended on the losing side?

I don't know. Perhaps they feared an immediate financial melt-down and having seem the initial drop and bounce is not the end of the world, and hearing a few post-result voices saying "see, not so bad" perhaps they think they should have been bolder. I'm not arguing that, just pondering what those people might mean.

Perhaps people who only vote the way they have been told will be the winning side. Let's call them fair-weather voters. Probably Man United supporters.

:coffee:
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1968  Postby GrahamH » Jun 27, 2016 9:20 am

This is an interesting and different take on things:

Thatcher and Reagan rode to power by promising a brighter future, which never quite materialised other than for a minority with access to elite education and capital assets. The contemporary populist promise to make Britain or American ‘great again’ is not made in the same way. It is not a pledge or a policy platform; it’s not to be measured in terms of results. When made by the likes of Boris Johnson, it’s not even clear if it’s meant seriously or not. It’s more an offer of a collective real-time halucination, that can be indulged in like a video game.
The Remain campaign continued to rely on forecasts, warnings and predictions, in the hope that eventually people would be dissuaded from ‘risking it’. But to those that have given up on the future already, this is all just more political rhetoric. In any case, the entire practice of modelling the future in terms of ‘risk’ has lost credibility, as evidenced by the now terminal decline of opinion polling as a tool for political control.

http://www.perc.org.uk/project_posts/th ... of-brexit/
Last edited by GrahamH on Jun 27, 2016 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#1969  Postby ronmcd » Jun 27, 2016 9:23 am

GrahamH wrote:This is an interesting and different take on things:

Thatcher and Reagan rode to power by promising a brighter future, which never quite materialised other than for a minority with access to elite education and capital assets. The contemporary populist promise to make Britain or American ‘great again’ is not made in the same way. It is not a pledge or a policy platform; it’s not to be measured in terms of results. When made by the likes of Boris Johnson, it’s not even clear if it’s meant seriously or not. It’s more an offer of a collective real-time halucination, that can be indulged in like a video game.

The Remain campaign continued to rely on forecasts, warnings and predictions, in the hope that eventually people would be dissuaded from ‘risking it’. But to those that have given up on the future already, this is all just more political rhetoric. In any case, the entire practice of modelling the future in terms of ‘risk’ has lost credibility, as evidenced by the now terminal decline of opinion polling as a tool for political control.

http://www.perc.org.uk/project_posts/th ... of-brexit/

5. The least ‘enslaved’ nation in the EU just threw off its ‘shackles’

lol.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1972  Postby GrahamH » Jun 27, 2016 9:31 am

Wow. Is this our next PM?

Video of Boris being booed and heckled.

https://www.facebook.com/Newsflare/vide ... 304080309/
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#1973  Postby zoon » Jun 27, 2016 9:32 am

ronmcd wrote:Image

Is that in today's Times? I might go out and purchase a copy.
zoon

Print view this post

#1975  Postby zoon » Jun 27, 2016 9:36 am

GrahamH wrote:Wow. Is this our next PM?

Video of Boris being booed and heckled.

https://www.facebook.com/Newsflare/vide ... 304080309/

It's presumably what any future PM who supported Leave can expect. I wouldn't mind joining them.
zoon

Print view this post

#1976  Postby ronmcd » Jun 27, 2016 9:49 am

It's ALL falling apart today. That shite Boris wrote in his telegraph article was clearly talking about being IN the EU, and what he said is being ripped apart. He quoted the German equivalent of CBI saying we'd still be in the single market, they've said today that's nonsense.

You know what? I think Boris is fucked. He's going to be hung drawn and quartered by the people who voted out.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1977  Postby mattthomas » Jun 27, 2016 9:53 am

ronmcd wrote:It's ALL falling apart today. That shite Boris wrote in his telegraph article was clearly talking about being IN the EU, and what he said is being ripped apart. He quoted the German equivalent of CBI saying we'd still be in the single market, they've said today that's nonsense.

You know what? I think Boris is fucked. He's going to be hung drawn and quartered by the people who voted out.

Good, I hope so.
mattthomas

Print view this post

#1978  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 27, 2016 10:08 am

Europe wont push Britain.
Europe's leaders begin crunch talks to contain Brexit fallout

John Kerry’s arrival in Brussels kicks off key meetings among EU countries before Tuesday’s crucial summit
The US secretary of state, John Kerry, is flying into Brussels for urgent talks at the start of a crunch week for Europe as leaders struggle to contain the fallout from Britain’s seismic decision to leave the EU.

Kerry will meet the EU’s foreign policy chief, Federica Mogherini, in the Belgian capital on Monday morning and then fly to London for talks with the British foreign secretary, Philip Hammond.

The president of the European council, Donald Tusk, is to meet French president François Hollande in Paris before flying with Hollande to Berlin for talks with the German chancellor, Angela Merkel, and Matteo Renzi, the Italian prime minister, ahead of a crucial two-day EU summit starting on Tuesday.

European leaders have said they would like Britain to make a swift start on the marathon task of extricating itself from the bloc by triggering article 50 of the Lisbon treaty, the untested procedure governing how a member state leaves, as soon as possible.
More...

This I found interesting:

Brussels officials have also emphatically ruled out informal talks on a possible trade deal before the UK triggers article 50. “No notification, no negotiation,” one official said on Sunday. A diplomat added: “If they treat their referendum as a non-event, we will also treat their referendum as a non-event.”

Is the referendum now a non event in Boris's eyes? I don think leave ever expected to win.

The prime minister reportedly told the commission’s president, Jean-Claude Juncker, at a 2014 G20 summit that he could win a referendum “by a margin of 70 to 30”. Juncker replied that even Luxembourg would not vote to stay in the EU by such a big majority, according to one EU diplomat.

Brussels insiders are also frustrated and angry that Cameron did not use the UK reform deal – painstakingly agreed by all EU member states in February – to defend the EU during the campaign. “You don’t reverse a perception between 19 February and 23 June that you have created,” the diplomat said.

As shockwaves from the Brexit decision continued to spread, EU officials also said on Sunday the bloc was preparing to move its European Banking Authority from London, setting up a race led by Paris and Frankfurt to host the regulator.

Completely fucked up. The Bullingdon boys little game back fired.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1979  Postby BlackBart » Jun 27, 2016 10:09 am

mattthomas wrote:
ronmcd wrote:It's ALL falling apart today. That shite Boris wrote in his telegraph article was clearly talking about being IN the EU, and what he said is being ripped apart. He quoted the German equivalent of CBI saying we'd still be in the single market, they've said today that's nonsense.

Good, I hope so.

They'll have to get in line behind the people who voted in. :lol:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1980  Postby zoon » Jun 27, 2016 10:19 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
This I found interesting:

Brussels officials have also emphatically ruled out informal talks on a possible trade deal before the UK triggers article 50. “No notification, no negotiation,” one official said on Sunday. A diplomat added: “If they treat their referendum as a non-event, we will also treat their referendum as a non-event.”

That's the most hopeful thing I've seen yet.
zoon

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs