UK EU Referendum

It's on

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: UK EU Referendum

#6721  Postby Tracer Tong » Mar 15, 2017 5:33 pm

CarlPierce wrote:I was stating the bleeding obvious point that democracy is a continuum from a single person having the only vote......to pure pr.
Distortions of pure democracy include electoral colleges and fptp.

But it's not a continuum, at least not to the extent you imagine. If a single person has "the only vote", you aren't dealing with a democracy.

Scot Dutchy wrote:So why is the Dutch pure PR system not democratic?

I suggest you ask whoever said it wasn't.

ronmcd wrote:
I disagree. My reason for thinking it will happen at some point is the generational aspect, but a victory for "No" does not implicity create conditions for another referendum, not at all. There are huge problems to holding another - you need a reason (brexit is an astonishingly huge and exceptional event, for example, it cant be expected to happen again) and you need a party with such a referendum in it's manifesto.

Those two things are, even if we accept SNP's current popularity, incredibly unlikely factors to re-occur quickly.

My point is simply that a victory for "No" leaves open the possibility of another referendum, in a way that, naturally, a victory for "Yes" does not, giving "Yes" unlimited spins of the wheel. And it really isn't a "huge problem" to come up with some sort of reason for holding one-having had a "once in a lifetime/generation" referendum in 2014, there's another one coming around within 5 years, because something-something-Brexit.

ronmcd wrote:It's worth remembering the Scottish Govt had no plans for a new referendum in their 2015 manifesto, there was no plan for one until brexit threw things into confusion. Even now, I doubt Sturgeon wants one, she'd rather we all stay in EU or the single market and build the case for independence over time.

The SNP's raison d'être is Scotland's becoming an independent country. There may have been no specific commitment laid out in their manifesto, and Sturgeon may have ideally wanted one later rather than sooner, but it was always on the cards.
Die Alten sind weder die Juden, noch die Christen, noch die Engländer der Poesie. Sie sind nicht ein willkürlich auserwähltes Kunstvolk Gottes; noch haben sie den alleinseligmachenden Schönheitsglauben; noch besitzen sie ein Dichtungsmonopol.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6723  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 15, 2017 6:15 pm

Tracer Tong wrote:I suggest you ask whoever said it wasn't.

You did!!! I quoted the bit.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6724  Postby Tracer Tong » Mar 15, 2017 6:43 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Tracer Tong wrote:I suggest you ask whoever said it wasn't.

You did!!! I quoted the bit.

You quoted the following:

As for "pure democracy", I don't know of any state in history that's had it. Certainly, no state today does.

I don't know how you get from there to the question "So why is the Dutch pure PR system not democratic?".
Die Alten sind weder die Juden, noch die Christen, noch die Engländer der Poesie. Sie sind nicht ein willkürlich auserwähltes Kunstvolk Gottes; noch haben sie den alleinseligmachenden Schönheitsglauben; noch besitzen sie ein Dichtungsmonopol.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6725  Postby VazScep » Mar 16, 2017 9:48 am

Byron wrote:Personally, I now believe its time has passed. The UK's imperialist to its core: the only way England's ever gonna get over her poisonous imperial pretensions, and accept her diminished status in the world,
You say this sort of thing a lot. I had to google "Empire 2.0", but only found references to the US. "Imperalist to its core"? What are you reading that I'm not? (Genuinely interested in resources)
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6726  Postby VazScep » Mar 16, 2017 9:56 am

Tracer Tong wrote:Democratic systems can of course admit non, or quasi, democratic elements, as in the case of the House of Lords and Electoral College, respectively.
And the Senate before the early 20th century, where senators where appointed by state legislatures.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6727  Postby ronmcd » Mar 16, 2017 10:06 am

VazScep wrote:
Byron wrote:Personally, I now believe its time has passed. The UK's imperialist to its core: the only way England's ever gonna get over her poisonous imperial pretensions, and accept her diminished status in the world,
You say this sort of thing a lot. I had to google "Empire 2.0", but only found references to the US. "Imperalist to its core"? What are you reading that I'm not? (Genuinely interested in resources)

Just on the Empire 2.0 thing, I think that' just a reference to something the UK Govt were suggesting (or brexit ministers) last week?
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6728  Postby angelo » Mar 16, 2017 10:08 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Which is why I am opposed to referenda. They are worst type of decision making but of course the election and governmental system in the UK are even worse.

You elect mp's so let them do their job but of course that have to be elected democratically in the first place.

Referendum works fine in Switzerland. It's pure democracy at work.
angelo

Name: angelo barbato
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6729  Postby VazScep » Mar 16, 2017 10:17 am

ronmcd wrote:
VazScep wrote:

Just on the Empire 2.0 thing, I think that' just a reference to something the UK Govt were suggesting (or brexit ministers) last week?
:cheers: Gotcha.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6730  Postby ronmcd » Mar 16, 2017 10:32 am

VazScep wrote:
ronmcd wrote:
VazScep wrote:

Some minor official at the brexit dept probably thought he was being clever, now making the tea :smile:
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6731  Postby ronmcd » Mar 19, 2017 12:52 am

https://twitter.com/kariebookish/status ... 6268859392

Had a very long think about my life post-Brexit referendum. Sit down with a cuppa because I'm about to ramble. ☕

I'm one of those EU migrants you hear about. I came to Glasgow in 2006 because I fell in love with a boy (hello @discodave75).

I gave up an okay job in books and my Copenhagen flat two minutes from the Metro. I said goodbye to family & friends.

But I fell in love with Glasgow the moment I arrived. It felt like home in a way that Copenhagen never did. And my boy was & is lovely.

Since 2006 I have settled in. I've found friends, become part of my community, found a job that I truly love, and I'm still with my boy.

Since the referendum I have cried a lot because I don't know what is going to happen to me. Nobidy can or will tell me.

I've met people who regard me as the scum of the earth simply because I was born elsewhere & then fell in love.

Tabloid headlines scream lies about people like me. I see the papers on seats next to me when I'm travelling for work.

Folk share jokes about migrants with me - or tell me how good I am for learning English so quickly. I hold university degrees.

I am reduced to a number and my personal agency has been removed. I learn about Hannah Arendt's work and I am scared by the similarities.

I genuinely don't know what is going to hapoen to me, my relationship, or my job. Nobody can tell me. Goalposts shift, tabloids scream.

I am trying to hold on to a normal life, but it is hard. I feel more defensive in public, less eager to speak out lest my accent stands out.

I've been scared to tweet about my ongoing fears & anxieties - will the egg bots descend or will I seem less professional? I cry a lot.

I look to see if any EU countries would accept my partner & I. Once he's non-EU, it will be difficult. Denmark wld be impossible.

Denmark has some of the most draconian immigration laws in W Europe. It's normal for mixed nationality couples to live in Sweden for years.

I don't know if it would even be feasible for me to carry out my job elsewhere. Network is so important as an indie knitting person.

I don't even know if it'd be feasible to find somewhere that would suit both my job sitch & work for my boy too.

So, there you have it. Worst case scenario: I lose the love of my life, my job, my friends & my community. And for what? No one knows.

Some ppl have mentioned Scottish indy. I appreciate that (esp as I live in Glasgow). I feel welcome & loved by my local community.

However, asking me right now to put my faith in politics feels like a tall order.

So, I'm going to finish my book (which is going to be amazing) & then I'm going to have to make some heartbreaking decisions.

And the saddest thing is really that I truly love my quiet little life in the only place that's ever felt like home.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6732  Postby Byron » Mar 19, 2017 1:00 am

VazScep wrote:
ronmcd wrote:
VazScep wrote:You say this sort of thing a lot. I had to google "Empire 2.0", but only found references to the US. "Imperalist to its core"? What are you reading that I'm not? (Genuinely interested in resources)

Yup, exactly. That they say it, even as a not-joke joke, speaks volumes. Can you ever imagine German ministers cracking wise about Reich 2.0? No, me neither.

I'm not suggesting that the UK wallow in self-indulgent national guilt for Empire. Lotsa countries had empires, including plenty of the conquered nations when they were top dog. But Britain, England particularly, needs to get over it, accept that it was unequivocally wrong, and that the power built off its back is never coming back.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#6733  Postby ronmcd » Mar 19, 2017 1:12 am

Byron wrote:
I'm not suggesting that the UK wallow in self-indulgent national guilt for Empire. Lotsa countries had empires, including plenty of the conquered nations when they were top dog. But Britain, England particularly, needs to get over it, accept that it was unequivocally wrong, and that the power built off its back is never coming back.

One of the annoying things about that recent Better Together activist's (no, wait, she deleted those tweets, so it didnt happen :roll: ) article claiming "Scottish Nationalism IS racist, and if you disagree, you're racist, DON'T ARGUE WITH ME, I'M NOT LISTENING, *flounce temporarily off twitter to return the day before her next book launch*", was her claim that Scotland has refused to talk about or accept our role in the crimes of the Empire, slavery, etc.

But civic Scotland absolutely has faced up to that, with books, art, writing, exhibitions etc discussing the issue, as pointed out by journalists. :roll:
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6734  Postby Byron » Mar 19, 2017 1:21 am

ronmcd wrote:One of the annoying things about that recent Better Together activist's (no, wait, she deleted those tweets, so it didnt happen :roll: ) article claiming "Scottish Nationalism IS racist, and if you disagree, you're racist, DON'T ARGUE WITH ME, I'M NOT LISTENING, *flounce temporarily off twitter to return the day before her next book launch*", was her claim that Scotland has refused to talk about or accept our role in the crimes of the Empire, slavery, etc.

But civic Scotland absolutely has faced up to that, with books, art, writing, exhibitions etc discussing the issue, as pointed out by journalists. :roll:

Absolutely.

By contrast, according to a 2014 YouGov poll, a staggering 59% of Britons said the Empire was "more something to be proud of," and 49% said that countries were better off for being colonized by GB. Just 19% and 15% said Empire was something to be ashamed of, and that countries were worse off.

The poll sadly wasn't broken down by the UK's constituent nations, but judging by the EU referendum, and the ensuring rhetoric, those feelings aren't strongest in Scotland.

Until all of the UK faces up to its imperial legacy, it'll remain stuck dreaming of Empire 2.0, oblivious to the fact that it's an island Ruritania.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#6735  Postby Warren Dew » Mar 19, 2017 1:44 am

Byron wrote:But Britain, England particularly, needs to get over it, accept that it was unequivocally wrong taken over by the US after WWII, and that the power built off its back is never coming back.

Fixed that for you.
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#6736  Postby Byron » Mar 19, 2017 4:33 pm

Warren Dew wrote:
Byron wrote:But Britain, England particularly, needs to get over it, accept that it was unequivocally wrong taken over by the US after WWII, and that the power built off its back is never coming back.

Fixed that for you.

Worse, instead of an American Empire, Washington used a string of dictators and generalissimos as proxies. At least overt imperialism would've forced the U.S.A. to take responsibility for decisions in its sphere, and subjected them to congressional scrutiny.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#6737  Postby VazScep » Mar 20, 2017 10:03 am

ronmcd wrote:https://twitter.com/kariebookish/status/843163476268859392

Had a very long think about my life post-Brexit referendum. Sit down with a cuppa because I'm about to ramble. ☕

I'm one of those EU migrants you hear about. I came to Glasgow in 2006 because I fell in love with a boy (hello @discodave75).

I gave up an okay job in books and my Copenhagen flat two minutes from the Metro. I said goodbye to family & friends.

But I fell in love with Glasgow the moment I arrived. It felt like home in a way that Copenhagen never did. And my boy was & is lovely.

Since 2006 I have settled in. I've found friends, become part of my community, found a job that I truly love, and I'm still with my boy.

Since the referendum I have cried a lot because I don't know what is going to happen to me. Nobidy can or will tell me.

I've met people who regard me as the scum of the earth simply because I was born elsewhere & then fell in love.

Tabloid headlines scream lies about people like me. I see the papers on seats next to me when I'm travelling for work.

Folk share jokes about migrants with me - or tell me how good I am for learning English so quickly. I hold university degrees.

I am reduced to a number and my personal agency has been removed. I learn about Hannah Arendt's work and I am scared by the similarities.

I genuinely don't know what is going to hapoen to me, my relationship, or my job. Nobody can tell me. Goalposts shift, tabloids scream.

I am trying to hold on to a normal life, but it is hard. I feel more defensive in public, less eager to speak out lest my accent stands out.

I've been scared to tweet about my ongoing fears & anxieties - will the egg bots descend or will I seem less professional? I cry a lot.

I look to see if any EU countries would accept my partner & I. Once he's non-EU, it will be difficult. Denmark wld be impossible.

Denmark has some of the most draconian immigration laws in W Europe. It's normal for mixed nationality couples to live in Sweden for years.

I don't know if it would even be feasible for me to carry out my job elsewhere. Network is so important as an indie knitting person.

I don't even know if it'd be feasible to find somewhere that would suit both my job sitch & work for my boy too.

So, there you have it. Worst case scenario: I lose the love of my life, my job, my friends & my community. And for what? No one knows.

Some ppl have mentioned Scottish indy. I appreciate that (esp as I live in Glasgow). I feel welcome & loved by my local community.

However, asking me right now to put my faith in politics feels like a tall order.

So, I'm going to finish my book (which is going to be amazing) & then I'm going to have to make some heartbreaking decisions.

And the saddest thing is really that I truly love my quiet little life in the only place that's ever felt like home.
She gives the impression that there is plenty of anti-immigration arseholery to be found on this side of the border.

My boss (a Mauritian) likes to make jokes with some of his students and other colleagues (of whom I think I am the only non-immigrant). Everytime an argument is getting a bit heated, he shouts "Right! BREXIT NOW!"
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6738  Postby ronmcd » Mar 20, 2017 10:17 am

VazScep wrote:She gives the impression that there is plenty of anti-immigration arseholery to be found on this side of the border.

Not sure she does, she seems to only reference the fact she's in Glasgow, and that people have mentioned independence might help, but that's all. I don't see she's making any distinction across UK.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6739  Postby VazScep » Mar 20, 2017 10:37 am

She says she has met people who regard her as scum of the Earth. Maybe she met them on a trip to London, but I'm guessing not.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6740  Postby GrahamH » Mar 20, 2017 11:05 am

Byron wrote:
Until all of the UK faces up to its imperial legacy, it'll remain stuck dreaming of Empire 2.0, oblivious to the fact that it's an island Ruritania.

a third would like it [British Empire] to still exist

Under half (45%) say they would not like the Empire to exist today.
:shock:
Last edited by GrahamH on Mar 20, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs