UK EU Referendum

It's on

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: UK EU Referendum

#6862  Postby ronmcd » Mar 29, 2017 2:17 pm

Hmm. This is going to go swimmingly.

EU has done everything to keep the British. From now on, only the interests of the remaining 440 million Europeans count for us.

https://twitter.com/ManfredWeber/status ... 9009332225
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6863  Postby Corneel » Mar 29, 2017 2:24 pm

I hope the UK agrees with the EU on a safe word before entering these "negotiations".
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#6866  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 29, 2017 3:07 pm

First EU response to article 50 takes tough line on transitional deal

Exclusive: Leaked European parliament resolution puts three-year limit on transition arrangement and says no to free trade agreement in next two years

Britain will not be given a free trade deal by the EU in the next two years, and a transition arrangement to cushion the UK’s exit after 2019 can last no longer than three years, a European parliament resolution has vowed, in the first official response by the EU institutions to the triggering of article 50 by Theresa May.

A leaked copy of the resolution, on which the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator, Michel Barnier, has been a close conspirator, lays bare the tough path ahead for Britain as the historic process of withdrawing from the trade bloc begins.

More...

Who said there would be a trade deal negotiated with the divorce at the same time?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6867  Postby fisherman » Mar 29, 2017 3:19 pm

It's not a five year trade negotiation?
fisherman

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6868  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 29, 2017 3:24 pm

fisherman wrote:It's not a five year trade negotiation?

No two years divorce and max 3 years transition.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6869  Postby fisherman » Mar 29, 2017 3:29 pm

I'm on a train with dodgy connection, can you quote, two year divorce, three year transition?
fisherman

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6870  Postby nunnington » Mar 29, 2017 3:41 pm

I see May is talking about frictionless trade with EU. Correct me if I am wrong, but if the EU grants this to the UK, as a 'third country', then what point is there in the EU? If they don't, then British trade with the EU will have to be via paper documents, checked at every border. Result: 30 mile queues at Dover for trucks being checked. I am assuming that frictionless trade rests on harmonized regulations, which are electronically processed, so that trucks can sail through every border. Well, maybe there is a magic solution to this.
je suis Marxiste, tendance Groucho.
nunnington

Print view this post

#6871  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 29, 2017 3:49 pm

Angela Merkel derails Theresa May's Brexit plan by rejecting parallel trade talks

Britain is to be put into the slow lane

Angela Merkel has dealt an instant blow to Theresa May's plan for Brexit by rejecting the PM's plan for trade talks to take place at the same time as Article 50 secession negotiations.

Britain will be put into the slow lane for discussions about any future trade deal with the EU following an intervention by the German Chancellor, who intervened just hours after the UK invoked Article 50.

More...

I just wonder what the Brexiteers expect. Afternoon tea? It is going to be tough very tough. They have insulted the EU and have tried to break it up. Dont expect mercy none will be given. The EU will not be satisfied until the UK is in bits and all that will be left will be Little England not including London, even the Taffs would have seen sense by then.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6872  Postby Tzelemel » Mar 29, 2017 3:59 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
[b2]
Angela Merkel derails Theresa May's Brexit plan by rejecting parallel trade talks

I just wonder what the Brexiteers expect. Afternoon tea? It is going to be tough very tough. They have insulted the EU and have tried to break it up. Dont expect mercy none will be given. The EU will not be satisfied until the UK is in bits and all that will be left will be Little England not including London, even the Taffs would have seen sense by then.

Interestingly, I remember reading that one of the arguments Britain gave to the French for joining the EU was to counter German dominance.
Tzelemel

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6873  Postby tuco » Mar 29, 2017 4:03 pm

fisherman wrote:I'm on a train with dodgy connection, can you quote, two year divorce, three year transition?

Just skimmed through it but I do not see two year divorce. This is transition:

Believes that transitional arrangements ensuring legal certainty and continuity can only be agreed between the European Union and the United Kingdom if they contain the right balance of rights and obligations for both parties, preserve the integrity of European Union legal order, with the European Court of Justice responsible for settling any legal challenges; they must also be strictly limited in time, and should not exceed three years, and in scope as they can never be a substitute for Union membership

This?

Reiterates the importance that the withdrawal agreement and any possible transitional arrangement(s) enter(s) into force well before the May 2019 European elections;

---
edit: had more time to read the leaked .. sry but have to comment this leaked wtf? .. and seems the EU done their homework read as: anticipated possible moves by the UK quite well.
tuco

Print view this post

#6874  Postby ronmcd » Mar 29, 2017 4:38 pm

nunnington wrote:I see May is talking about frictionless trade with EU. Correct me if I am wrong, but if the EU grants this to the UK, as a 'third country', then what point is there in the EU?

:dunno:
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6875  Postby Tracer Tong » Mar 29, 2017 5:49 pm

nunnington wrote:I see May is talking about frictionless trade with EU. Correct me if I am wrong, but if the EU grants this to the UK, as a 'third country', then what point is there in the EU?

The EU already has many such trade deals in place with 'third countries', with Canada being the most recent. In terms of where that leaves the purpose of the EU, I guess it's whatever benefits the EU confers on its members beyond enabling "frictionless trade" between them.
Die Alten sind weder die Juden, noch die Christen, noch die Engländer der Poesie. Sie sind nicht ein willkürlich auserwähltes Kunstvolk Gottes; noch haben sie den alleinseligmachenden Schönheitsglauben; noch besitzen sie ein Dichtungsmonopol.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6876  Postby ronmcd » Mar 29, 2017 6:22 pm

Tracer Tong wrote:

The EU already has many such trade deals in place with 'third countries', with Canada being the most recent. In terms of where that leaves the purpose of the EU, I guess it's whatever benefits the EU confers on its members beyond enabling "frictionless trade" between them.

I think the point is if UK can get a deal as good and seamless with EU but not be a member, why should it even exist? It won't happen - there has to be an advantage for being in EU, for paying into it, for taking part. The UK cannot have that from outside.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6877  Postby tuco » Mar 29, 2017 6:25 pm

That could be part of the problem we are even having this situation, thread, discussion. Thinking about the EU as whatever benefit.
tuco

Print view this post

#6879  Postby tuco » Mar 29, 2017 6:27 pm

I am listening to the UK ambassador here and she is optimistic, entering the global stage and self-determining stuff. Done her homework too.
tuco

Print view this post

#6880  Postby Tracer Tong » Mar 29, 2017 8:08 pm

ronmcd wrote:
Tracer Tong wrote:

I think the point is if UK can get a deal as good and seamless with EU but not be a member, why should it even exist? It won't happen - there has to be an advantage for being in EU, for paying into it, for taking part. The UK cannot have that from outside.

I mean, sure, but that's a pretty trivial point to make, isn't it? Clearly there are advantages only being in the EU can provide, which Britain will no longer enjoy after its exit. But what May has referred to as "frictionless trade" with the EU, by which I assume she means free trade, is not one of those.
Die Alten sind weder die Juden, noch die Christen, noch die Engländer der Poesie. Sie sind nicht ein willkürlich auserwähltes Kunstvolk Gottes; noch haben sie den alleinseligmachenden Schönheitsglauben; noch besitzen sie ein Dichtungsmonopol.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs