UK Labour Party Watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: UK Labour Party Watch

#9581  Postby ED209 » Aug 25, 2016 10:06 am

Good luck to everyone getting their GCSE results today!
And if you don't get the grades you wanted, remember that richard branson left school with no qualifications and he still went on to receive £3bn in government subsidies while dodging all UK tax :dance:
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#9582  Postby GrahamH » Aug 25, 2016 10:06 am

chairman bill wrote:Virgin says there were lots of seats, and that they offered Corbyn a free up-grade to First Class, because there were no seats, so clearly Corbyn is lying about there being no Standard Class seats.

An excellent point. Virgin aren't going to give away upgrades to 1st if there are standard seats available, are they? They obviously realised early on that they had been caught out running a sub-standard service. That's when the spin started.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#9583  Postby Pebble » Aug 25, 2016 11:29 am

GrahamH wrote:
chairman bill wrote:Virgin says there were lots of seats, and that they offered Corbyn a free up-grade to First Class, because there were no seats, so clearly Corbyn is lying about there being no Standard Class seats.

An excellent point. Virgin aren't going to give away upgrades to 1st if there are standard seats available, are they? They obviously realised early on that they had been caught out running a sub-standard service. That's when the spin started.

Well there are many possible interpretations. if your starting point is evil capitalists trying to hide their wickedness - I suppose that your interpretation would be the only possible explanation.
Another is that the staff were being deferential to a mighty politician.
Alternately - Corbyn had some specific requirements that were not readily met in standard class - like for instance sitting with his wife - that one we know of, but were there other requirements? Like a good angle for his film crew to show his best side etc? Who knows
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#9584  Postby Pebble » Aug 25, 2016 11:33 am

GrahamH wrote:Actually "ram packed" means something else entirely according to the urban dictionary.
I assume Corbyn meant "jam packed" which is a synonym for "crowded", "full", "busy".
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/jam-packed

Now does this mean yo can read his mind and that he merely mis-spoke (Clintonesque) or that your were unable to find any source that agreed with your 'translation' of ram packed, so have to put words in his mouth?

PS If the train wasn't busy, shouldn't he be consistent and complain about the impact on the enviornment of running half empty trains around the country?
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#9585  Postby GrahamH » Aug 25, 2016 11:45 am

Pebble wrote:
GrahamH wrote:Actually "ram packed" means something else entirely according to the urban dictionary.
I assume Corbyn meant "jam packed" which is a synonym for "crowded", "full", "busy".
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/jam-packed

Now does this mean yo can read his mind and that he merely mis-spoke (Clintonesque) or that your were unable to find any source that agreed with your 'translation' of ram packed, so have to put words in his mouth?

PS If the train wasn't busy, shouldn't he be consistent and complain about the impact on the enviornment of running half empty trains around the country?

No need for your hypothetical. We know that the train was busy. We've see the CCTV, heard from the passengers and noted the actions of Virgin staff. We have even heard from people this was far from the worst over crowding on this line.

You seem to think you have a better interpretation of "ram packed" (Isn't that you "putting words in his mouth"?) and yet you have not been able to share that interpretation. Why is that?
Last edited by GrahamH on Aug 25, 2016 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#9586  Postby GrahamH » Aug 25, 2016 12:00 pm

Pebble wrote:Alternately - Corbyn had some specific requirements that were not readily met in standard class - like for instance sitting with his wife - that one we know of, but were there other requirements? Like a good angle for his film crew to show his best side etc? Who knows

Ah, the plebs in standard class don't deserve to sit together, and definitely mustn't voice discontent about a ;lack of seats. Such luxuries are only for the wealthy! You must be pleased That mother with her kids knew her place and sat on the floor without protest. If she wanted to have seats with her kids she should have bought 1st class, or maybe just used the chauffer driven limo.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#9587  Postby ronmcd » Aug 25, 2016 12:17 pm

SNP would not be reliable allies for Labour, says Jeremy Corbyn

Jeremy Corbyn has ruled out a coalition with the SNP as the campaign for the Labour leadership shifts to Scotland.

Aww, sad face.

But in an article for the Daily Record on Thursday, Mr Corbyn accused the SNP of pursuing Conservative-style policies such as a benefits cap and low corporation tax, and of "relentlessly" attacking councils.

Ha.

"Let me make it clear. I will welcome support for all or any of our policies from any other political groups or parties ... but I'm well aware that Labour and the SNP come from different traditions and have different goals.

"I don't see a party that welcomed (then Chancellor) George Osborne's corporation tax cuts, relentlessly attacked local government and is committed to a benefit cap as reliable allies for a radical Labour government.

AHAHAHAHAHA!

He said the SNP Government had pursued a low tax agenda while the NHS and councils struggled under austerity, and Scotland lacked decent jobs and affordable housing.

He pledged to create a Scottish National Bank to deliver £20 billion investment in projects and small businesses, and backed Scottish Labour's plan for a publicly-owned railway and energy sector.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#9589  Postby ronmcd » Aug 25, 2016 12:21 pm

No, no, it's cool Jeremy, reading out Scottish Labour lines always works well. I'm quite sure you know what you're doing.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#9590  Postby Bernoulli » Aug 25, 2016 12:38 pm

mrjonno wrote:Keep on hearing people use 'neoliberal', pretty sure what they really mean is capitalism.

No they don't. Social democracy is capitalism. Corbyn is a capitalist.
Bernoulli
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#9591  Postby Cthulhu's Trilby » Aug 25, 2016 1:12 pm

GrahamH wrote:Ah, the plebs in standard class don't deserve to sit together, and definitely mustn't voice discontent about a ;lack of seats. Such luxuries are only for the wealthy! You must be pleased That mother with her kids knew her place and sat on the floor without protest. If she wanted to have seats with her kids she should have bought 1st class, or maybe just used the chauffer driven limo.

I think this is stretching a point a bit. I don't expect to turn up on the day and guarantee a seat next to my wife or any other travelling companions. Ultimately the cost of having more trains or going on a massive infrastructure splurge to widen gauges, lengthen platforms and raise bridges to accommodate taller trains, is passed back to the customer either in fares or in taxes. I'd sooner book in advance and when I really have to travel at the last minute, live with it.
Cthulhu's Trilby

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9592  Postby nunnington » Aug 25, 2016 1:16 pm

Yes, it's all capitalist. Some historians argue that there was a shift in the 70s away from fiscal stimulus type policies, indicated famously in Callaghan's speech to the Labour conference in 1976, 'you can't spend your way out of a crisis'. I don't know whether this marks the start of these policies, such as deregulation, privatization, cuts in welfare, help for the rich, which are normally associated with Thatcher.

But those on the left see this as the march of Labour to the right, culminating in Blair, who is a kind of smiley Thatcher. Hence the counter-movement to the left, by Corbyn, which arguably the right aims to crush. (rough paraphrase).

Hence, the parallel with Michael Foot is weak, since Foot came at the end of the 'one nation' type policies, while Corbyn has appeared as neo-liberalism has gone through a major crisis (2008). But after that, all is uncertainty, except for those who are certain.
je suis Marxiste, tendance Groucho.
nunnington

Print view this post

#9593  Postby ED209 » Aug 25, 2016 1:37 pm

It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#9594  Postby zoon » Aug 25, 2016 1:39 pm

GrahamH wrote:
zoon wrote:
GrahamH wrote:It is a possible narrative, team Corbin plots to spin an attack on a train company. It's also possible that he was just travelling to Newcastle with his wife and a fly-on-the-wall documentary maker and walked the length of the off-peak train without finding two vacant seats. Finding himself at the end of the train and encountering fellow passengers in a similar situation he joins them, sitting on the floor until Virgin staff upgraded some other passengers to resolve the situation and save the company further embarasment.

I can see how the first story appeals to people attracted to the incompetent Corbyn idea. You can sahy he caught the wrong train, not peak! Schoolboy error! Then he was "caught out".
The other, normal person version, doesn't fit the caricature.

What if it was Smith? Just the same. Based on what we know default to the straightforward explanation and save the conspiracy gone wrong theory until some evidence of that comes to light, if it does.

Nothing wrong with your second, normal person, narrative, except that you've missed out the crucial bit: Corbyn and his aides record a video of Corbyn on the floor explicitly making the case for nationalisation, and attacking Virgin Trains for the overcrowding, and they then send that video to a national newspaper. Fine, take opportunities as they arise, I'm not saying the whole thing was planned beforehand. Planned or not, the leader of the Labour party attacked a large company in a national newspaper, carelessly overstating the situation on the train, and should not be surprised when that company sets out to discredit the video and is gleefully taken up by the Conservative sections of the press .

Edited to add: where in my posts have I suggested Corbyn planned the video in advance? I have been saying he carelessly made exaggerated claims to the national media, and now cannot complain when the national media accuses him of incompetent spin, which it was. More planning and less spur of the moment use of his position as leader of the Labour party for publicity might have avoided the carelessness.

Did he overstate the crowding? I guess that depends on how you choose to interpret "ram packed". What is your interpretation of that?

Was it "incompetent spin" or fair comment? I think the latter. Again it depends on your interpretation of "ram packed".

"more planning" would be "more spin", right? If it was pre-planned it's "spin", if it's calling it as he finds it it's not "spin".

You think the measure of politicians should be how good they are as spin doctors? Are you mrjonnno?

Yes, he did overstate the crowding, the kind of exaggeration we all use when talking about a bad journey. But this was not a discussion with mates down the pub, this was the leader of the Labour party writing a letter, or rather sending a video, to a national newspaper, the Guardian. The video made the national news, which was presumably what he was hoping for. Unsurprisingly, Virgin Trains did their best to discredit the video, and succeeded to the point where it is now clear to everyone in the country that Jeremy Corbyn walked past, and saw, at least some empty seats on that train before sitting on the floor, saying in a video that the train was ram-packed, and sending the video to the Guardian. This was spin; spin does not have to be planned, it's any time you give a news story a particular bias, with a soupçon of economy with the truth thrown in. It was also incompetent spin. As with leading a team, a leader of the Labour party does not have to be brilliant at spin, but it helps if they can avoid own goals all over the national newspapers.
zoon

Print view this post

#9595  Postby GrahamH » Aug 25, 2016 1:48 pm

Zoon, get back to me when you have an unambiguous definition of "ram packed" or specific claims by Corbyn contradicted by hard data from Virgin.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#9596  Postby zoon » Aug 25, 2016 2:06 pm

GrahamH wrote:Zoon, Getty back to me when you have an unambiguous definition of "ram packed" or specific claims by Corbyn contradicted by hard data from Virgin.

Corbyn was using ambiguities to exaggerate, this is what is known as spin. That video of Corbyn on the floor was clearly intended to convey the message that he could not find a seat anywhere. It did convey that message very effectively, this was why it made the national news. The message was undermined by Virgin Trains' video, and now by Corbyn's own admission, that he had passed empty seats before making the video.
zoon

Print view this post

#9597  Postby chairman bill » Aug 25, 2016 2:17 pm

Empty seats that were reserved. It's one of those reasons why others were also sitting on the floor. It's why in the absence of free seats, he was offered an upgrade to first class. They don't do that when there are standard class seats available.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9598  Postby logical bob » Aug 25, 2016 2:17 pm

Jeremy Corbyn wrote:I don't see a party that welcomed George Osborne's corporation tax cuts, relentlessly attacked local government and is committed to a benefit cap as reliable allies for a radical Labour government.

Nicola Sturgeon said before the General Election that she was opposed to the cap, but that Labour had pledged to leave it in place and it wouldn't be a red line issue in any arrangement reached with Labour after the election. To describe that as being "committed to a benefit cap" is absurd, and at least as weaselly as insisting that a train is only packed if there isn't a single available seat.

I'm reminded of the quote ronmcd gave us a while back from Pete Wishart of the SNP, pointing out that he personally had been through the division lobbies with Jeremy Corbyn far more often than his own deputy leader.
logical bob

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#9599  Postby GrahamH » Aug 25, 2016 2:26 pm

zoon wrote:
GrahamH wrote:Zoon, Getty back to me when you have an unambiguous definition of "ram packed" or specific claims by Corbyn contradicted by hard data from Virgin.

Corbyn was using ambiguities to exaggerate, this is what is known as spin. That video of Corbyn on the floor was clearly intended to convey the message that he could not find a seat anywhere. It did convey that message very effectively, this was why it made the national news. The message was undermined by Virgin Trains' video, and now by Corbyn's own admission, that he had passed empty seats before making the video.

Ah, so the lady and her two children were also engaged in "spin" was she?

You obviously don't have an unambiguous definition of "ram packed" and you are making assumptions about what Corbyn meant.

Do you also acknowledge that Virgin were doing the real spin by putting out CCTV pictures of reserved seats and implying they were vacant (since they would be irrelevant of they were reserved)?

At least we are agreed that Corbyn never said there were no unoccupied seats on the train and the "exaggeration" was in other people's minds, not his words.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#9600  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 25, 2016 2:29 pm

It does not matter one iota what happened. The damage is done and the public's perception of Corbyn is once again formed in a not too flattering way.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs